Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Graphics engine improvement

I'd like to see bump mapping and parallax mapping on EVERYTHING. Not to ridiculous levels but enough that it brings things out, and having them only on some things just makes it look ... bad.

I'd like to see bump mapping and parallax mapping on EVERYTHING. Not to ridiculous levels but enough that it brings things out, and having them only on some things just makes it look ... bad.

Parallax mapping on everything? That would be like realtime raytracing or at least raycasting on everything...

Once hardware becomes more powerful, it could be considered. Hopefully we'll see like a techdemo of Operation Flashpoint with realtime raytracing or sth. That would be very cool. biggrin_o.gif

1.)

I noticed that vehicle´s whirling smoke when they drive across the country. Maybe that Smoke should be changed in some mud effects, would be more realistic because Praq is´nt a very dusty place.

2.)

I hope (and i realy do) that there will be Flairs in ArmA II.

That was the biggest mistake in ArmA, using AA stinger missles but no way to defend against them.

regards- TH

One word: WEATHER!

Realistic snow/rain/fog/thundershowers (imagine a firefight in shallow fog during nighttime) These would really add to the atmosphere and can lift a gaming experience significantly. Forget about stuff that the community can add later on, focus on the stuff we can't make ourselves. smile_o.gif

I'm totally physched about this game and really looking forward to it, keep up the good work!

One word: WEATHER!

Realistic snow/rain/fog/thundershowers (imagine a firefight in shallow fog during nighttime) These would really add to the atmosphere and can lift a gaming experience significantly. Forget about stuff that the community can add later on, focus on the stuff we can't make ourselves. smile_o.gif

I'm totally physched about this game and really looking forward to it, keep up the good work!

i think it's mainly the rain they need to update, it was quite weird how it followed your view in ofp/arma.

the sky looks like it's been improved from some of the recent screenshots.

Yeah, a setSnow command could be very useful, now that this is set in the autumn. Should be able to coexist with rain.

Rain and snow both to be particle based.

I wish for a better particle system! I.e. more particles at the same time! And faster... less laggy with many of them around, and a viewdistance setting for drop/emitter command (i.e. when particle gets (in)visible for player, no purging anymore)

and more, better, HARDER VFX!!! :D .. ah and animations for particle objects maybe... so you can stretch a particles shape, at least over lifetime or so...

Edited by PhilippRauch

I was very excited when BIS had shown screenshots with 3D ironsight before Arma was released, i would be much more if Arma2 features 3D scope with "this time" realistic aimpoint and EOTech sights and finally i hope this time infrared laser modeled on m16/m4 will work, those things are on other games "Red orchestra (UE2.5) insurgency "Hl2", Vbs2" so i'm sure it's not impossible. :)

Edited by dunedain

I was very excited when BIS had shown screenshots with 3D ironsight before Arma was released, i would be much more if Arma2 features 3D scope with "this time" realistic aimpoint and EOTech sights and finally i hope this time infrared laser modeled on m16/m4 will work, those things are on other games "Red orchestra (UE2.5) insurgency "Hl2", Vbs2" so i'm sure it's not impossible. :)

Please.:bounce3:

Rivers, rivers and again - rivers! That is what we need. Rivers are borders, and with rivers we can create new addons and rivers are inspiration for many new missions.

Explosions and kinetic energy

There is something I always feel "not right" about when you hit a tank with a Sabot round or HEAT round in Arma. With Sabot, there is no explosion until the tank actually explodes. I think it would be really nice if we could seem some nice big plumes of fire/smoke coming out of the base of the targets turret (and possibly also barrel) when hit with a Sabot round. For HEAT I would like to see chunks of armour blown off the tank/apc (like in the ECS mod for OFP- great effect).

Second is Kinetic energy. What I mean by this is that currently, in Arma, when you hit a tank/APC with a sabot round it doesn't move at all. The tank should be jolted violently, the same with HEAT but not as much. For some reason I remember this was much better in OFP. In Arma, armour always seems to be like a cardboard cut-out that just switches to a damage model when it is hit by a round (this actually applies to all vehicle destructions). You don't get the sense of the energies and forces at work here at all, which I feel is a shame for a military sim. There is plenty of footage available that shows the effect these weapons on armour.

Unfortunately I guess it is too late for Arma2 to have such additions, I hope I am proved wrong.

Explosions and kinetic energy

Second is Kinetic energy. What I mean by this is that currently, in Arma, when you hit a tank/APC with a sabot round it doesn't move at all. The tank should be jolted violently, the same with HEAT but not as much. For some reason I remember this was much better in OFP. In Arma, armour always seems to be like a cardboard cut-out that just switches to a damage model when it is hit by a round (this actually applies to all vehicle destructions). You don't get the sense of the energies and forces at work here at all, which I feel is a shame for a military sim. There is plenty of footage available that shows the effect these weapons on armour.

Unfortunately I guess it is too late for Arma2 to have such additions, I hope I am proved wrong.

You know why? Because the game lacks a physics engine.

Don't know why Czech people don't like physics, perhaps it's cultural or something.

And you all justify this goofy shit by saying things like "naaaaaaaaaah a physics engine would mean too many calculations and wouldn't work cuz the map is laik big or sumthing duuuuuuuh"

EDIT: This thread is about graphics, keep it that way.

You know why? Because the game lacks a physics engine.

Wow nice over reaction, "the game has no physics engine" :j: . Bubble Bobble had a fricken physics engine. What your trying to say is the game's physics engine is not up to your "standard".

Don't know why Czech people don't like physics, perhaps it's cultural or something.

Actually I'm Irish

And you all justify this goofy shit by saying things like "naaaaaaaaaah a physics engine would mean too many calculations and wouldn't work cuz the map is laik big or sumthing duuuuuuuh"

If people are saying that to you then it probably means the things you are requesting are most likely impractical or unrealistic with current hardware (unless you want the entire game to look like the original OFP or worse). If you bothered to read my post you would notice the physics that I requested where available in OFP. Just for some reason they are not the same in Arma.

EDIT: This thread is about graphics, keep it that way.

My post was 50% physics 50% gfx, so sorry for you, but I didn't want my two suggestions split over two threads as they are closely related...

Wow nice over reaction, "the game has no physics engine" :j: . Bubble Bobble had a fricken physics engine. What your trying to say is the game's physics engine is not up to your "standard".

Actually I'm Irish

If people are saying that to you then it probably means the things you are requesting are most likely impractical or unrealistic with current hardware (unless you want the entire game to look like the original OFP or worse). If you bothered to read my post you would notice the physics that I requested where available in OFP. Just for some reason they are not the same in Arma.

My post was 50% physics 50% gfx, so sorry for you, but I didn't want my two suggestions split over two threads as they are closely related...

Well howdy there miss personal!

I was talking about the developers so really I don't give a shit about what you think or where you live, so yeah.

Zerst0ren infraction issued. I'd suggest you re-read the forum rules as you seem confused as to how you should conduct yourself here.

Boat/ship wake... sort of like the tank tracks (only animated), would that be possible ? :)

zan2h.jpg

(300 posts...... ... ... SPAAARTA !) :nuts:

Boat/ship wake... sort of like the tank tracks (only animated), would that be possible ? :)
Now that would be really cool!

I have something similar modelled in "realtime" (as long as it doesn't lag) CFD, but that really stresses out my HD 4870 and C2Q. :D

Edited by SgtH3nry3

I hope that BIS can fix the horrible walls which are keeping like carton in blocks. :-[

Wouldn't it be nice to have some animation when firing the Guns on a Tank, or AGS. The barrel is still static and lacks the proper motion. Giving a rather dry effecting. I think adding some recoil to these weapons would help improve immersion.

Also, was anyone disapointed with the M134 Mini Gun in the game, It really didn't feel like I was shooting that powerful of a weapon...it still remains a rather ineffective weapon in Arma.

From the videos, the tank barrels look like they do move into the turret slightly.

The gras should get much more down unter rotor wash effects.

I think this fits better to this topic :)

Would be nice to see a dynamic viewdistance, which sets itself to maximum out at see. Though i would be happy if the straight face viewdistance could be change to some updside down truncated cone. So the player could earlier see enemy aircrafts while not affecting performance: still you can't see more landscape but definately more less-polygon rendered sky.

But i don't know if this is possible...

viewdistance.jpg

but NeMeSiS refered:

viewdistance.jpg

This would be ugly to see the top of the mountain flying in the air...

So then:

"

Mmh i thought about it if you see first the top of the mountain and then the rest... so an official engine tweak is needed to display planes and choppers though they are not inside the viewdistance... the skytexture is still infinite far away or?

I think the flying vehicles could appear above a ficitonal, approximated line where the top of the mountain is. Even when the mountain is not visible to the player the choppers would fade in..."

I think this would be pretty cool

viewdistance2.jpg

I hope it is sorted out already... it's damn 2009. it was possible to improve lights, so the draw order should be improved...

I always ROFL at stars visible through Earth and rainbows in the middle of the night in ArmA I ;P

The rendering method used in most games (I think, makes most sense) to limit viewdistance is actually a sphere around the player, the player being in the middle of it. What's funny though is that in Battlefield 1942 and 2 they use a rectangle, the result is you being unable to see a distant object straight ahead, but if you turn your view it magically appears in the sides of your view. (: