Gunter Severloh

The Enfusion Engine Reveal | The New Platform for ARMA 4 by Bohemia Interactive

Hello my fellow Arma brothers!

Just came across this on Utube while doing a search for something else, idk how i didn't see this before, and maybe one

of you already know about this?

I did a search and nothing came up for a topic for this so i suppose i will start it.

Seen here is the video i came across about the new Enfusion Engine by BI for Arma 4 so i think this might

be a hint to an official confirmation that Arma 4 is indeed on the way!

https://enfusionengine.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, it's going to be pretty. But what is the ai going to be like.

• Like 4

Its a good point, considering the new functions, performance, and more advanced capabilities i think that some of the bugs that we deal with

like path finding imo being the main one, clipping through walls and doors, and some times ignoring orders or not performing certain actions can be

better optimized to function more correctly.

Im not entirely sure what creates such bugs for the AI other then lack of optimization, but im sure most of it comes down to coding and other factors

i can only assume that it will be better to say the least.

If my AI Facts and Myth compilation list being basically a massive changelog of the game is not convincing enough that the

current Arma 3 AI arent complete idiots but indeed have some decent function and capabilities then we can only assume that Arma 4's would be

a bigger upgrade minus the addition of scripts to enhance them more.

Aside the AI i think the biggest concern as it has been for many years is optimization, basically the new engine utilizing the player's PC

to its maximum in terms of cores being utilized, i think you computer masters know what im trying to say here but overall an upgrade and

finally i would hope actual performance, unless of course your running a potato and blame the game for your lack of performance.

The AI has to be re-written from scratch or updated from DayZ or Carrier Command since the scripting is Enforce based, not SQF from ARMA 3 engine.

The FAQ says it is more like C++ so all scripters will need to learn more organized coding techniques but the payoff is better code in the long run.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Valken said:

since the scripting is Enforce based, not SQF from ARMA 3 engine.

Hmmm

So this brings a conundrum into the picture because now if the who scripting, and or coding is changed this would mean

mission, mods, and even scripts themselves wont work in the new game considering its a new engine.

But then im thinking would you think that BI would somehow enable the ability to port our works to the new game, or would we need to establish the use of

certain tools and a procedure like we had to with Arma 2 to Arma 3 for mods?

Mission wise i can already envision some of my work i spent the longest time on a couple of my missions, more especially my Desert Ops Run mission

which im very fond of wont work in the new game format, nor would the objects, i probably would have to start over 😖

I guess its to early to even think about such thing considering we still have no official announcement of A4 so maybe im getting ahead of myself

and BI might have something that might make it possible to "convert" our work over to the new engine/game that .... would be the shit!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

or would we need to establish the use of certain tools and a procedure like we had to with Arma 2 to Arma 3 for mods?

You can count me out of that!  The conversion to physx alone sapped my will to mod and frankly I don't plan to convert anything yet again.

Seems like labor is finally bearing fruit, good job guys! Although, I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed that there was no official post about this in news section. What are we, chopped liver here? 😄

48 minutes ago, hcpookie said:

You can count me out of that!  The conversion to physx alone sapped my will to mod and frankly I don't plan to convert anything yet again.

Funny thing time is, let it do its thing and who knows what turns out. 🙂  But yeah, hopefully there will be plenty of documentation and useful examples and templates!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Janez said:

Although, I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed that there was no official post about this in news section. What are we, chopped liver here?

Yep heard about this last week from the grapevine....remember when this forum used to mean something? Not even a small announcement -speaks volumes

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Janez said:

Although, I can't say I'm not a bit disappointed that there was no official post about this in news section.

15 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Not even a small announcement -speaks volumes

Ya thats what gets me, these are the home forums for everything BI let alone Arma, and we all know that the Enfusian i can only imagine and guess

is being developed for their next "Arma" title at least that seems to be the idea. So why not here then BI i dont get it, your own forums and you guys dont say anything

maybe i missed it?

Nope nothing in BI news section other then the 20yr update, there are still several devs that have been on the forums so i can only guess that

one of them has seen my post here on this, maybe not, but then the question begs an answer why no announcement at least about the new Enfusian development

why do i need to stumble across a utube video reviewing it?

As much as i visit the forum here you would think at least there would be word of this other then what i had posted, ya Enfusian

has been mentioned before in some posts but nothing to the level of this with a whole section on BI's site dedicated to a new development that being a

game changer, a new engine i think thats something pretty big to talk about at least mention to your long time fans and members here.

2 hours ago, hcpookie said:

You can count me out of that! 

I can only imagine considering the types of mods you work and have worked on past and present, but lets wait and see what comes

out of this new engine, maybe it will be easier then we think, you never know, if anything let others wade through the waters first

if they dont drown and quit and come out of it pretty well in less time and with better results then it might be worth a try.

Im sure someone will try to convert one of their mods over or even find a way to build a new better version

of it on the new platform.

18 hours ago, hcpookie said:

There is a near complete asset migration path from RV to Enfusion to be made available, not counting upgrading any of the assets. So models, geometry, textures, sounds and maybe animations should still work as is.

But developers do need to learn Enforce scripting but I am sure there will be samples to show how to do it. It does not mean there is no work to be done but we can look at the examples in DayZ SA and the related workshop to see examples now.

Lastly, HOPEFULLY Reforger will be made available with asset samples as baseline so just "port" over only assets that do not exist in Enfusion/Reforger to kick start it. 

I know easier said than done, but it is a start and ARMA 4 will be based on Enfusion anyways so all that new skill will go towards that game when it comes. Hopefully before many of us retire! :P

5 hours ago, Valken said:

Hopefully before many of us retire! :P

Too late, already been there and gone over. I would like to see it before I depart for the last mission. ;)

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Don't be sad @gunter.. I retired early. 😉

But I am old now, well in my 60's. So arma 4 better be within the next 5yrs or so. If not, then I'll be dribbling on my keyboard..  (well more than I usually do) 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey all, nice to see an update on Enfusion! The screenshots and video show an updated version of Everon, and what looks like Ural 375 trucks with an older radio box on the back. Maybe we're going back to 1985...

edit: also, streams!

39 minutes ago, ceeeb said:

Hey all, nice to see an update on Enfusion! The screenshots and video show an updated version of Everon, and what looks like Ural 375 trucks with an older radio box on the back. Maybe we're going back to 1985...

edit: also, streams!

Notice that aswell and now I'm remembering the Arma Reforger leaks for awhile back which was Everon. And the quote from the blog

https://www.bohemia.net/blog/Introducing-Enfusion-Engine

The development of the Enfusion engine is far from over with today's announcement. Its gradual evolution remains Bohemia Interactive's top priority. The engine itself, along with developer tools and user documentation, will be released to the public soon, along with the first official playable demonstration of its features. Bohemia Interactive is not considering licensing the Enfusion engine to developers to create their own games at the moment.

Maybe Reforger was just the playable demo of Enfusion.

• Like 2

I am honestly pretty pleased about the fact that there will be no more ports from older Arma games, and that finally there is a focus on a streamlined and modern development (industry standards and all that) approach to both game creation and mod development.

Sure, it means that content in itself could still be used, especially if it has been done using industry standard tools and workflows before converting and adjusting for Arma exclusively (texture, etc etc) but most likely the injecting part will need to be done from scratch.

I find it refreshing to finally break away from the old ways of doing things, even if that means no mods or missions will work without major changes.

• Like 3

End of an era though. 😞

But probably for the best.

I also hope they put time into the ai.

...and the '2021 Longest Thread Title' award goes to....you.

18 hours ago, Ball Race said:

what could they need?

If you read the link you yourself posted:

[...] we want to work with technology that allows us to create incredibly authentic open world terrains and nothing available at the moment satisfies our needs.

Another reason is because most of our current games share a very distinct platform approach compared to a more standard "closed product" approach. In other words, we want to give our players and creators an open platform that offers them the same set of powerful tools that our developers use.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Not seeing that they mentioned Arma 4 anywhere in there...

Well, they did, but not much.

What about Arma 4?

We don't have anything new to share regarding the future of the Arma series, aside from the fact that we will use Enfusion for any potential new Arma game. Follow our social media channels or subscribe to the Bohemia Newsletter to make sure you always get the latest news!

• Like 2

Check this out, posted on Reddit, thought this was pretty cool, you can see a profound difference

pic of the real place LINK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rocks look really nice, don't they? But that grass at the top made me wonder though, it's cute and all but there will be the same fundamental issue, where you can't see anything in it prone but stick out like a sore thumb at a distance, won't it?

Still, those mid-range textures down the valley look great and... kinda puffy?

i hope that the next military title will be focusing on special forces than a huge list of units that look the same, Bi has a huge market, the orphans fo Ghost Recon

Hmmm to be honest...this still leaves so many things unanswered xD  First of all...will there be any kind of asset library including all the stuff from  previous Arma games, or do we start again with one official island and 3 vanilla factions???  Will we have to painfully convert every vanilla map and building again as a mod or will for example Altis, Tanoa etc. resources be included in some way ???

It would be so nice to have the possibility to get or create all Arma maps on the same and newest technical quality standart within the first months or even right from the start. 

Secondly...will there be more freedom to work on the vanilla maps...allowing us to, for example, transform Tanoa completely into a 17th century black powder style map and  so on....

On 2/8/2022 at 2:06 PM, Private Evans said:

Hmmm to be honest...this still leaves so many things unanswered xD  First of all...will there be any kind of asset library including all the stuff from  previous Arma games, or do we start again with one official island and 3 vanilla factions???  Will we have to painfully convert every vanilla map and building again as a mod or will for example Altis, Tanoa etc. resources be included in some way ???

It would be so nice to have the possibility to get or create all Arma maps on the same and newest technical quality standart within the first months or even right from the start. 

Secondly...will there be more freedom to work on the vanilla maps...allowing us to, for example, transform Tanoa completely into a 17th century black powder style map and  so on....

from a user on youtube Bi has ported the entire Tanoa on enfusion and runs it on PS4