Homesick

Arma 3 - Creator DLC Discussion

We're pleased to announce Arma 3 Creator DLC. A while ago we invited external developers to send us their pitch for new third-party premium DLC content for Arma 3. We've now signed contracts with several external developers and the development is in full progress. While we wait for these Creator DLC's you are free to use this thread for any questions, suggestions, or concerns regarding this project. 

We'd also suggest you to read our frequently asked questions page. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So Creator DLC will be optional to install. Does that mean you can download it without owning it and you just get the usual thing where you can see but not use stuff? Because otherwise it'll just be a mess for communities.

15 minutes ago, GordonWeedman said:

So Creator DLC will be optional to install. Does that mean you can download it without owning it and you just get the usual thing where you can see but not use stuff? Because otherwise it'll just be a mess for communities.

No. You don't download it if you don't own it. That has been made very clear since the start of the 3rd Party DLC project

Creator DLC FAQ: https://arma3.com/dlc/creator#FAQ

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GordonWeedman said:

We've implemented a DLC tab on the Arma 3 launcher. Unless the Creator DLC is ticked in this tab, it will not be loaded in-game. You are also unable to download the Creator DLC without owning it. 

Will there be considerations to change that approach in the future? As of the moment, that sadly makes it unviable for many communities, or at the very least splits them on events, which is a shame.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bosenator said:

Will there be considerations to change that approach in the future? As of the moment, that sadly makes it unviable for many communities, or at the very least splits them on events, which is a shame.

We do realize that this is a limitation, but currently there's no real way around it. 

Does a server with a "Arma 3 Creator DLC" loaded can be joined by players that don't own this "Arma 3 Creator DLC" if the loaded mission is not dependent on this "Arma 3 Creator DLC" ?

@sparfell_19

"You need to own Creator DLC and have it installed to be able to join a multiplayer server that makes use of it. If you try to join a server without having the requested Creator DLC installed, you will receive a notification that you are missing content that is needed to play on the server. For more information please also see the previous question regarding the optional installation of Creator DLC."

https://arma3.com/dlc/creator

Upon reading the Creator DLC FAQ, the pricing structure for this project still seems a little vague at this current time, and in regard to the Global Mobilization DLC, which is scheduled to drop in little under 2 weeks time, there is still no firm price detail available. Surely at this late stage of the process the pricing for this DLC will have been agreed already. Revealing a storefront page both here and on Steam without the cost is not the end of the world but is a little disheartening.

EDIT:

The pricing for the GM DLC is 19.99 EUR / 22.99 USD / 16.99 GBP respectively, found here.  

7 minutes ago, ChazaB218 said:

@sparfell_19

"You need to own Creator DLC and have it installed to be able to join a multiplayer server that makes use of it. If you try to join a server without having the requested Creator DLC installed, you will receive a notification that you are missing content that is needed to play on the server. For more information please also see the previous question regarding the optional installation of Creator DLC."

https://arma3.com/dlc/creator

I read that but I think the "that makes use of it" part make it unclear. Currently, if I'm not mistaken the ability to join is based on the content used in the mission, not the content loaded on the server.
For example, let's say my community want to host a GM event on friday and a vanilla event on saturday. Do we need to restart the server between friday and sunday in order to be able to play saturday's mission with players that don't own the DLC?

@Homesick

Please can you explain the following -

"While we realize that opinions on this will vary, we don't consider Arma 3 Creator DLC to be paid mods. We believe that these DLC packs would not have otherwise existed or be possible as mods of similar quality and scope. It's also important to note that Creator DLC will never replace something that what was available for free."

Given that the BI forum page for this "not a paid" mod has been up since October 2017 which had an almost identical scope....

Also, to say that these DLC packs could not of existed or be possible as mods is insulting to the many high quality mods that the community has made over the years such as IFA, RHS or other non asset ones such as ACE.

10 minutes ago, ChazaB218 said:

Given that the BI forum page for this "not a paid" mod has been up since October 2017 which had an almost identical scope....

It has never been available for free. It was just a WIP.

53 minutes ago, sparfell_19 said:

Does a server with a "Arma 3 Creator DLC" loaded can be joined by players that don't own this "Arma 3 Creator DLC" if the loaded mission is not dependent on this "Arma 3 Creator DLC" ?

Another question for @Homesick

It's pretty clear that one cannot join if the server runs the DLC Terrain. But what about DLC Weapons/Uniforms and such.
Let's say I don't own the DLC and am on the server with a guy who has it loaded. The guy takes a DLC gun/uniform from Arsenal. I don't have the content downloaded so what happens?
1. He will just be invisible.

2. He will not even be able to take DLC content out of Arsenal if not all player have the DLC loaded.

3. Every player who doesn't own it will be kicked immediately.

• Like 4

When there're like 3-4 Third-Party DLC... AKA Creator DLC, will bundle that contains Creator DLCs with cheaper price available or not? Currently I'm planning to buy Global Mobilization - Cold War Germany anyways.

21 minutes ago, ChazaB218 said:

@Homesick

Please can you explain the following -

"While we realize that opinions on this will vary, we don't consider Arma 3 Creator DLC to be paid mods. We believe that these DLC packs would not have otherwise existed or be possible as mods of similar quality and scope. It's also important to note that Creator DLC will never replace something that what was available for free."

Also, to say that these DLC packs could not of existed or be possible as mods is insulting to the many high quality mods that the community has made over the years such as IFA, RHS or other non asset ones such as ACE.

Essentially what Dedmen said, the content was never available for free. 

12 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

Another question for @Homesick

It's pretty clear that one cannot join if the server runs the DLC Terrain. But what about DLC Weapons/Uniforms and such.
Let's say I don't own the DLC and am on the server with a guy who has it loaded. The guy takes a DLC gun/uniform from Arsenal. I don't have the content downloaded so what happens?
1. He will just be invisible.

2. He will not even be able to take DLC content out of Arsenal if not all player have the DLC loaded.

3. Every player who doesn't own it will be kicked immediately.

As I mentioned previously if you haven't purchased the Creator DLC you will be unable to load it. Creator DLC is an optional DLC which needs to be ticked on in the Arma 3 Launcher (just like you do with mods). If you try to join a server that runs Global Mobilization the server browser will tell you that you can't join due to missing content.

10 minutes ago, POLPOX said:

When there're like 3-4 Third-Party DLC... AKA Creator DLC, will bundle that contains Creator DLCs with cheaper price available or not? Currently I'm planning to buy Global Mobilization - Cold War Germany anyways.

I currently don't have any information regarding this subject. 

• Like 1

How does this work from a dedicated server perspective. A few particular questions but a general idea of how this behaves DLC like or mod like:

1) How does the paid DLC get added to the server? Is it just there in a reduced data form or do we need to add something?

2) If playing non paid DLC terrain and content can players still join and play on the server?

I am trying to work out the logistics and whether to run this we need a dedicated server specifically for the mod as not the entire community will be buying this and given that the last thing I want to do is break the primary game if it is handled more like a required mod on client and server rather than existing DLC where clients and servers can differ and still see content used by those that own it, being mostly excluded from the Tanoa terrain itself.

Just wanted to check that despite this being an external parties content that BI will now be indemnifying and ensuring the DLC works despite future updates of the game. This has always been an issue with paid DLC and I wanted to make sure that such terms where in place so purchasers don't end up finding the content doesn't work in some way in the future due to game updates with no recourse.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Homesick said:

As I mentioned previously if you haven't purchased the Creator DLC you will be unable to load it. Creator DLC is an optional DLC which needs to be ticked on in the Arma 3 Launcher (just like you do with mods). If you try to join a server that runs Global Mobilization the server browser will tell you that you can't join due to missing content.

Doesn't answer my question.

What if server doesn't have it enabled. But a player with it enabled joins the server?

Will the player just not be allowed to join any servers that don't have the DLC activated?

Also what does "that runs GM" mean? If the server has it loaded, but is playing a mission on Stratis with only vanilla weapons. Does that count as running GM?

Essentially same questions as @brightcandle

@Homesick Are these Creator DLCs simply to extend the life of ArmA 3 or is it something more permanent in terms of the ArmA series?

46 minutes ago, brightcandle said:

How does this work from a dedicated server perspective. A few particular questions but a general idea of how this behaves DLC like or mod like:

1) How does the paid DLC get added to the server? Is it just there in a reduced data form or do we need to add something?

2) If playing non paid DLC terrain and content can players still join and play on the server?

I am trying to work out the logistics and whether to run this we need a dedicated server specifically for the mod as not the entire community will be buying this and given that the last thing I want to do is break the primary game if it is handled more like a required mod on client and server rather than existing DLC where clients and servers can differ and still see content used by those that own it, being mostly excluded from the Tanoa terrain itself.

Just wanted to check that despite this being an external parties content that BI will now be indemnifying and ensuring the DLC works despite future updates of the game. This has always been an issue with paid DLC and I wanted to make sure that such terms where in place so purchasers don't end up finding the content doesn't work in some way in the future due to game updates with no recourse.

1. This will be added to our FAQ page and there is indeed a reduced dataset for Creator DLC. For clarity and manageable install sizes it will be in a seperate server branch; To be clear you do not need to purchase Creator DLC to host a server.

2/3. I'm going to investigate how this will work and get back on that later. 

38 minutes ago, Cloby said:

@Homesick Are these Creator DLCs simply to extend the life of ArmA 3 or is it something more permanent in terms of the ArmA series?

We're not able to predict how things will work in the future, but right now Creator DLC is something that's specific Arma 3. We currently have no existing plans beyond Arma 3. 

• Thanks 2

How will compatability with Public Community Zeus Servers, and overall Public Community Servers work? As I understand, you cannot join multiplayer servers when they got the package installed on them, I'm just curious how that will affect said servers. Will there just be seperate servers, like 2035 'Standard' ones, and Cold War servers?

- "I purchased the Arma 3 Supporter's Edition back in the day. Do I get Creator DLC for free?

Unlike official Arma 3 DLC, Arma 3 Creator DLC will not be made available for free to owners of the Arma 3 Supporter's Edition (note: this edition is also no longer on sale). On behalf of ourselves as well as our external Creator DLC developers, we thank you for your understanding and wonderful support!".

- But this is really a shame and not fair.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, D_Donskoy said:

- "I purchased the Arma 3 Supporter's Edition back in the day. Do I get Creator DLC for free?

Unlike official Arma 3 DLC, Arma 3 Creator DLC will not be made available for free to owners of the Arma 3 Supporter's Edition (note: this edition is also no longer on sale). On behalf of ourselves as well as our external Creator DLC developers, we thank you for your understanding and wonderful support!".

- But this is really a shame and not fair.

what? it is 100% fair game.

Apex for instance is an expansion not a DLC, owners of supporter editions got it for free, despite that edition description stating it covers DLCs, not expansions as well. oh, and btw, as you can see, i own that supporter edition myself.

• Like 3

Very happy for you 🙂

Although I do not understand the difference between the DLC and the expansion :)))

We cannot release any project with dependencies on mods or regular Arma 3 DLC.

What about Apex / Tanoa? Does that count as "regular Arma 3 DLC" or is that exempt?

In terms of the assets that this paid mod contains will there be any difference in the usual EULA and terms and conditions of use? Are we free to use them to make our own missions and mods using the assets? I don't mean ripping assets just referencing their use for terrain creation and other mod purposes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brightcandle said:

In terms of the assets that this paid mod contains will there be any difference in the usual EULA and terms and conditions of use? Are we free to use them to make our own missions and mods using the assets? I don't mean ripping assets just referencing their use for terrain creation and other mod purposes?

Of course there has been no official word on whether this will be the case, but based on a tweet from @bludski, GM will be a requirement for Vidda....but then again bludski does enjoy spreading false rumours and misinformation. 

• Haha 1