Damian90

Tanks DLC Feedback

So we all have discussed quite abit about features and wanted vehicles, but as seen in the Helicopter/Karts/Marksman DLC we will most likely also get quite alot of static, decorative objects.

So I am wondering what kind of objects you'd like to see.

Most likely scenario specific.Tank parts, tools, repair bays.

• Like 2

Probably the most difficult but definitely the damage model...I was REALLY disappointed to see it's basically arcade type. Also and clearly the physics...nothing like travelling for 20 mins only to get arma'd.  

Cool things to keep other team members busy (lol) tank interior.

Love the suggestions for tank repair stuff on tank itself. Super easy to implement I'd guess. But have so I may have to jump out and repair a track or something. 

maybe a few different round types, explosive ect.

Keep up the good work...there's competition gaining ground on you guys!!

• Like 1

Don't recall seeing this either.

mapable keys so i can just hit a key and move from commander to gunner without having to scroll through the mouse wheel to choose.

Also the ability to change the ammo load out depending upon the situation you are facing.

maybe also allow hull gunner to share his mg rounds for turret gunner or outside mounted mg's.

• Like 1

Don't recall seeing this either.

mapable keys so i can just hit a key and move from commander to gunner without having to scroll through the mouse wheel to choose.

Also the ability to change the ammo load out depending upon the situation you are facing.

maybe also allow hull gunner to share his mg rounds for turret gunner or outside mounted mg's.

You can bind "switch gunner" or something like that, pressing it switches you to commander/gunner seat and between them (so we need switch to driver seat or just switch seats key)

• Like 2

People, do you know how tank interior will slow your performance? You will complain endlessly about low fps. Please no to tank interiors. Only for driver, something like "black box" with driver inside and possibility to look left, right, and few degree up and down (through periscopes). Its totally enough. Tanks with interior is much more complicated model, much more VRAM, CPU will be required to render this model fast. Stuttering will back, all complainers will back....

People, do you know how tank interior will slow your performance? You will complain endlessly about low fps. Please no to tank interiors. Only for driver, something like "black box" with driver inside and possibility to look left, right, and few degree up and down (through periscopes). Its totally enough. Tanks with interior is much more complicated model, much more VRAM, CPU will be required to render this model fast. Stuttering will back, all complainers will back....

I guess it all depends. I don't lose much fps going 1st person in a hunter. Whos to say this will be so different. Although I'm not against phoenixs idea either. and it is the most likely. Maybe I'd just be relieved not to have the letterbox.

I think if a good balance is found. And it is NOT a half assed ie few new tanks new textures effort at addressing movement . They will get a premium price for this dlc. The desire is definitely there for the dlc.

How would people feel about locking such things as these interiors behind the dlc paywall? Would you see it as a fair trade off considering the other new improvements being given for free.

• Like 2

I guess it all depends. I don't lose much fps going 1st person in a hunter. Whos to say this will be so different. Although I'm not against phoenixs idea either. and it is the most likely. Maybe I'd just be relieved not to have the letterbox.

I think if a good balance is found. And it is NOT a half assed ie few new tanks new textures effort at addressing movement . They will get a premium price for this dlc. The desire is definitely there for the dlc.

How would people feel about locking such things as these interiors behind the dlc paywall? Would you see it as a fair trade off considering the other new improvements being given for free.

It can also be next spike to the coffin in performance case. You cant see the diference... Sawn around 40 of hunters far away, move fast in their direction, move camera from diferent direction - to their direction. All LOD's need to be loaded very fast. Besides that Hunter is vehicle that need interior, beacuse it have windows. In Merkava there is already interior - in infantry compartment. Look how simply are they done. More polygons, full HD textures (beacuse people will complain about low quality textures....) = more calculations for CPU and GPU. There is some reason behind fact, the BW mod dint maked tanks interiors - they are much more complicated than infantry compartment in merkava or car interior = much more polygons, and there are still engine limitations in polygons case.

PS: its a question of time when people will want PIP in this interiors... The PIP are officially FPS killer in arma.

1-2-3-etc keys should be fine since you won't be using weapon switching, unless turned out, in which case I guess you'd need to turn in before switching seat.

• Like 1

1-2-3-etc keys should be fine since you won't be using weapon switching, unless turned out, in which case I guess you'd need to turn in before switching seat.

But there are those keys already....

then it will work for standard battletanks, but not universally. A popup interface where you can click on the position you want to jump in would be much more universal and would work for all vehicles - not just tanks.
  • Like 3

I am currently playing Rolling Thunder - OPF Remake and one I thing I noticed is the lack of fine control of the tank's movement when in driver position.

What I am missing is a way to execute an emergency brake, sharp turns, fast acceleration without loosing the ability to make the opposit, soft braking, slow acceleration etc.

So my idea is it, to have a modifier key like CTRL + WASD (default) to switch between those manoeuvres:

Fast acceleration: CTRL + W

Emergency braking/ fast backwards driving: CTRL + S

Sharp left turn: CTRL + A

Sharp right turn: CTRL + D

Any thoughts about that?

• Like 7

Any thoughts about that?

yeah: emulating analogue controll by tons of hotkeys is just making an even bigger mess. Its just going to be a major bitch to learn/get used to/ try to convey to people. A "virtual" joystick that you controll via mouse (similar to current steering mode, just tweaked with better visualization + behaviour and acceleration/deceleration) would be alot better than hotkeys. Again, this would be universally usable for every other vehicle (e.g. planes) and even turrets.

Best solution still is: use gamepad or other analog controller. The right tool for the right job...

Best solution still is: use gamepad or other analog controller. The right tool for the right job...

The problem is, that even with a gamepad, the above maneuvers are not possible.

Furthermore I don't see the issue with additional hotkeys. I mean, it's not like the tank driver is already overstrained...

• Like 2

You can bind "switch gunner" or something like that, pressing it switches you to commander/gunner seat and between them (so we need switch to driver seat or just switch seats key)

Doesn't work all the time. Most times you get to do it once or twice and then it stops working.

If it worked all the time I wouldn't be asking for specific keys or the option to map the keys this way.

I like a lot of the replies in here. It shows BIS there is a dedicated group out there large enough that has been begging for better damage modelling, control, tactics and employment of armoured  vehicles, not forgetting a decent penetration system that doesn't end in the tanks automatically blowing up after getting hit once.

Lets hope they don't disappoint us!

• Like 1

No, you are wrong. Keyboard & maximum controller input value is 1.0, so the maximum amount of brake torque/ acceleration torque/ steering angle that the vehicle is capable of is applied. If you mean that the vehicle should turn/accelerate/brake faster then that is a configuration matter and has nothing to do with controllers or keyboards.

Furthermore I don't see the issue with additional hotkeys. I mean, it's not like the tank driver is already overstrained...

It could be binded to arrows off course ;)

The best vehicle movement control is in Steel Beasts when it comes to giving orders for AI. However it's rather difficult to describe, it's best if anyone who can, would check it himself.

Hello guys, 
I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for some of the splendid ideas you've posted in the thread. Let me expand a bit more on the current state of Tanks DLC. As it is the last release listed on our Roadmap 2016-17, we're not really that far in the development. Actually, the brainstorming phase is now happening with internal meetings and researches. Your feedback is crucial in this stage, as we're carefully monitoring the community requests. Not only on the Feedback Tracker and similar channels, but also here, in this very thread.

The goal is to make a backlog of all the suggestions and then select what fits best the vision of the product and what our resources and time frame allow us to do. While there are some very obvious things which will be present in Tanks DLC (e.g. a tank), the rest is still unknown and yet to be decided. Please keep up and provide us with your ideas, be them gameplay features, scenario concepts or simply something you would love to see in the DLC. Afterall, we're all in the dev team thrilled to drive the new beasts as you are!  :)

• Like 18

Hello guys, 

I just wanted to stop by and say thank you for some of the splendid ideas you've posted in the thread. Let me expand a bit more on the current state of Tanks DLC. As it is the last release listed on our Roadmap 2016-17, we're not really that far in the development. Actually, the brainstorming phase is now happening with internal meetings and researches. Your feedback is crucial in this stage, as we're carefully monitoring the community requests. Not only on the Feedback Tracker and similar channels, but also here, in this very thread.

The goal is to make a backlog of all the suggestions and then select what fits best the vision of the product and what our resources and time frame allow us to do. While there are some very obvious things which will be present in Tanks DLC (e.g. a tank), the rest is still unknown and yet to be decided. Please keep up and provide us with your ideas, be them gameplay features, scenario concepts or simply something you would love to see in the DLC. Afterall, we're all in the dev team thrilled to drive the new beasts as you are!  :)

Good news.

I'm thrilled to drive new tanks as much as next guy here so this is TLDR of my priority list.

TankX physX needs refactoring (unable to turn on slope, random lounges when turning, lists goes on)

Driver interiors (Years of driving in third person cause of letterbox 2d image ever since arma 0)

FCS system (turret stabilization, ballistic computer akin steel beasts)

• Like 2

Great news, thanks for the post @Bis_Iceman!

Features

1. FCSs native to each vehicle - otherwise what's the point in creating different vehicles?
  2. Interiors and windows - because... it's 2016! PIP screens, interior lights etc.
  3. Damage system - again, isn't now the time?
  4. Torque! Tanks don't struggle to get up hills!
  5. Ability to shoot sensors/ optics/ windows (with small arms fire) - crucial gameplay aspect imo, means you aren't invincible against infantry and means people have to think about how they use tanks. Plus it gives snipers something else to shoot at B)
  6. A smoother exit animation for mechanised infantry.
  7. Drone integration?

Scenario ideas

1. Tank Rush: A long NATO day mission set during the WIN episode against CSAT (dawn, in a range of settings - woodland, open field long range shooting with helicopter support, urban fighting with infantry, resupply)

2. Beachhead: NATO dawn beachhead invasion of Altis/ just after the beachhead (set during the WIN episode, combined arms, CSAT air, combat engineering, resupply)

3. CSAT night ambush on a NATO convoy, (camouflage nets, combat engineering to make a roadblock, mines, lasing for drone strike)

4. AAF/ NATO Counter-insurgency (Mechanised infantry, Anti-tank weapons, mines), single town objective, coordinated smoke and mortar ahead of attack.
  • Like 6

My very subjective IMHO priorities are:

1) Complex damage model

2) Realistic driving physics

There are many other cool ideas in the thread, but for me are just nice to have, not necessary :)

• Like 1

Well, i have nice idea to point out all features we want, and to be easier to develoeprs to handle.
Point out every feature you need, by qouting ours posts, si in the end,all they need will be in one post. What do you think?
For now they will need to search whole thread (9 pages FOR NOW).

For example i start with;

- feature A
- feature B

- feature C

Next after my post:

- feature A
- feature B
- feature C

- feature D

- feature E

- feature F
etc.....

• Like 2

Critical Features:
-New Damage Model for vehicles. (Stuff that @RAM does, Also no more vehicles just completely exploding just because they hit 0 hp, Ammo Cookoffs, disabling certain components of a vehicle (such as engine) if it takes a good hit, etc. )

-Working Penetration for Missile weapons.

-New Tracked PhysX.

-FCS for Vehicle weapons

Suggested Features:

-Interiors for Vehicles that do not have them (APCs and MBTs) At the VERY least, for drivers.

-Reworked Thermal Sights for better environmental contrast.

Suggested Content:

-New MBTs and APCs

+Domestic vehicles for NATO (Abrams, Bradley, Stryker, maybe Challenger 2 for British Forces?)

+Recommissioned M60s and M113s for AAF?

+T-14s for IAF and VT-14 for PLA?

+Old Vehicles for Syndikat and Armored Vehicles for Gendarmerie?

-New Unique AT Weapons to compliment the new Armour. (Sort of how FFV complimented Helicopters and whatnot.)

+Javelin and SMAW derivatives for NATO

+Fictional ATGM system for CSAT?

+Maybe yet another for CTRG?

-Maybe some new Personnel vehicles as an added bonus? (HMMVs and whatnot) Probably won't fit into your development schedule but yeah.

• Like 5