Jump to content

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Sierra-G339 'Digger' said:

I mean, look it up on Wiki, and you'll find all the countries that still use T-34s

Oh what a surprise with the T-34

 

8 minutes ago, PuFu said:

for the nth time, could you please refrain yourself from posting if you have nothing to add to this topic?

Ok bro, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, soul_assassin said:

Terracore 0.3.0 Released!

 

Jump over to https://steamcommunity.com/id/rhsmods/myworkshopfiles/?appid=107410 to get the new version of Terracore!

 

Russian style garages and kindergarden included, you will also find some fixes.

 

 

 

Enjoy!

 

RHS Team

 

Great, I like tall buildings.
Is this version available in the supermarket building.
Thanks devs.

Edited by R0adki11
No quoting images. As per rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good day RHS team!  thanks for having you in the community for so many years!

 

Still, I have a question about quality of your damage/destroing visual effects.
You could not take or somehow improve the smoke when the vehicle is damaged / destroyed? 

As I understand it, this is the effect of engine burning.  Looks very unnatural. 

 

Example:

 

34988758_m.jpg

 

Such thin smokes look extremely unnatural, and extremely stable, there is no any randomization in their appearance and their scale, in their direction. 

Besides, why is the smoke so thin, so long? It seems to me that any combustion from the inside should give thicker and shorter puffs of smoke.

 

The problem is compounded if the player sees multiple destroyed vehicles. In this case the player sees endlessly repeating effects at the same angle, at the same scale and at the same direction to the surface of the ground. It looks like - "copy/paste".

Moreover, such smokes lives according to its own laws of physics! Please Note that the main smoke rises almost vertical (this reacts to the strength of the wind in the map), while the RHS thin smoke always moves very low to the ground.

 

34988849_m.jpg

 

Please try somehow cure this nonsenses

Try randomize these effects. 

If you can't randomize their scale/appearance/direction, then just make them thicker and shorter, and give them closer to the smoke direction and scale, like the main smoke of destroyed vehicle.

For me opinion, the best option for internal damages is to create several visual effect smokes with different scale and direction and make them random. It is also necessary that these effects react to the current wind in the map, as the main smoke does.

 

Please consider this issue in any your opinion

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using blastcore or something? Because the effects don't look like that in RHS alone. The smoke emissions are not as dark or dense, and do not last as long. So they don't appear unusual for the volume of smoke being produced by the small vehicle fires

ImAPS7Cl.png

Obviously there's no point for us to look into that issue if you are using another mod that outright replaces the Arma smoke textures. We can't fix changes made by other mods

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 2:31 PM, da12thMonkey said:

Are you using blastcore or something? Because the effects don't look like that in RHS alone. The smoke emissions are not as dark or dense, and do not last as long. So they don't appear unusual for the volume of smoke being produced by the small vehicle fires

 

 

 

 

yes i am using blastcore,  and pay attention I'm not talking only about textures. I'm talking about their SCALE and DIRECTION, and LIFE TIME of this effect

 

 

Quote

Obviously there's no point for us to look into that issue if you are using another mod that outright replaces the Arma smoke textures. We can't fix changes made by other mods

 

Do you think that there is no point?

The scale of this texture, its lifetime and direction of dispersion are important here.

blastcore will only replace textures, while physics, scale and directions will be given from RHS!

Look at the direction of the smoke in your screenshot.i don't see much difference in your screenshot. Look at its scale (thickness, length) If you think it's realistic, then I'll end the conversation.

The such long, small, thin smokes should not exist in nature at all, since the clouds of smoke will dissipate much earlier, not allowing them to have such a long and thin strip.

It doesn't matter what texture I use, RHS texture or Blastcore texture.

 

PS: in my screenshot, the smokes are longer and If the lifetime of smoke cloud is set to blastcore, it means that  blastcore and RHS are using same vanilla named file ( same name ) for the smoke cloud spray.

There is a simple solution - create a new file for smoke cloud FX, under a new name and give it its own new shorter  lifetime.

 

Also.

I have long wanted to talk about another RHS issue.
Please Check the T-90 CM (object 188 CM) and T-90 CM (2016) tanks, its sights are not configured correctly.

If the player is in command, the subordinate AI gunner will always shoot above the target specified by the player.

Edited by R0adki11
No quoting images.
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mickeymen said:

...and pay attention I'm not talking only about textures. I'm talking about their SCALE and DIRECTION, and LIFE TIME of this effect...

All of which, given the comparison screenshots between your's and da12thMonkey's post, is caused by using Blastcore...:face_palm:

 

Quote

Look at the direction of the smoke in your screenshot.i don't see much difference in your screenshot

You do have eyes, right?

Your screenshots clearly show a thick narrow black streak of smoke that runs almost parallel to the ground. da12thMonkey's screenshot shows a light black plume rising upwards and dispersing. The only comparison to be made is they both originate from a tank...

 

RHS cannot be held responsible for (in)compatibility between its content and other mods/addons/total conversions etc. out there, and nor should they...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Look at the direction of the smoke in your screenshot.

Smoke is in that direction because I set wind to maximum velocity in the editor: Because I figured that's why the smoke was parallel to the ground and elongated in your pictures, and wanted to draw a more direct comparison with the density of the smoke. If your smoke is doing that in the absence of wind then there's something really weird with blastcore

 

With less wind, the normal RHS-only smoke rises vertically and travels even less distance from the source than in the screenshot I took. The point I was making is that the smoke in RHS becomes transparent i.e. dissipated at a much shorter distance than with blastcore's opaque smoke

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HNMe2Zm.png

 

I like big and high smoke. I like the RHS mod 😁

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, why not write a bug report to Blastcore?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

All of which, given the comparison screenshots between your's and da12thMonkey's post, is caused by using Blastcore

 

Dude, You still do not understand what I said. this is so unfortunate.

Once again.


The RHS uses the eponymous blastcore smoke effect for this reason Blastcore users see it. Long, thin black smoke that we see in my screenshot - this can only happen for one reason - the same name of burning cloud FX in blastcore and in RHS smoke effect.

My suggestion, if you like, please:

Arma3 has many users use blastcore, not only I alone, and in order not to create conflicts with Blastcore mod, the RHS team just needs to change the name of self effect.

Why does the RHS team need it? In order not to create a conflict for the users of the community. Then RHS users will see only their own smoke.

But if PXC is not worried about Blastcore users and he does not want to do this, then ok, we can all get through it.

 

Yet the own RHS effect looks far from perfect.

 

5 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

You do have eyes, right?

Are you telling me this? I tell you this!

 

Look at the 12thMonkey's  screenshot. 

 

34993749_m.jpg

 

And then look at real life:

 

34993631_m.jpg

 

34993634_m.jpg

 

34993635_m.jpg

 

34993637_m.jpg

 

34993640_m.jpg

 

34993641_m.jpg

 

Do you see here individual thin wisps of transparent smoke that flow independently of other smokes?

Can I give you more examples? Or will you show me an example with thin long and streams of transparent smoke?

 

Just admit at last that the RHS effect is far from ideal.

 

5 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

Your screenshots clearly show a thick narrow black streak of smoke that runs almost parallel to the ground. da12thMonkey's screenshot shows a light black plume rising upwards and dispersing.

 

Will the smoke rise to the top? Does it mean that you have upward on the right?

 

34993512_m.jpg

 

 I would not argue that the smoke rises to the top. The smoke will not rise up, we see a diagonal identical as at my screenshot!

 

Yes, there is a difference in the screenshot of @da12thMonkey and my screenshot, but this smoke looks also not good.

Why these smokes have the same scale, the same length, and why should every tank have this? Why doesn't anyone bother - Copy/Paste ? Why are they so small and thin, transparent at last?
I'm talking about scale and randomness that doesn't exist, not only blastcore black cloud. You again did not understand anything.

 

5 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

RHS cannot be held responsible for (in)compatibility between its content and other mods/addons/total conversions etc. out there, and nor should they...

 

I agree, but but who is forbidden to us to improve RHS and make it better and more realistic?

My suggestion, if you like, please is not about compatability with blastcore mod! 

 

The my thought - smoke cannot be thin, long and single, separate from other smokes. Also, each tank should not have the same engine burning effect, in the same direction.

Randomness is required:

 

- one tank has it the other does not.

- one tank has a big effect, another tank does not have a big effect.

- one tank has one direction of smoke spray, another tank has a different direction of smoke spray.

 

etc.

 

It should look natural, not like Copy/Paste

I am sure this is a completely doable task.

 

3 hours ago, da12thMonkey said:

Smoke is in that direction because I set wind to maximum velocity in the editor: Because I figured that's why the smoke was parallel to the ground and elongated in your pictures, and wanted to draw a more direct comparison with the density of the smoke. If your smoke is doing that in the absence of wind then there's something really weird with blastcore

 

With less wind, the normal RHS-only smoke rises vertically and travels even less distance from the source than in the screenshot I took. The point I was making is that the smoke in RHS becomes transparent i.e. dissipated at a much shorter distance than with blastcore's opaque smoke

 

Thanks for your observations. The minimum you have to do is make it larger and shorter in length.

The direction of the spray should not be so low, different from the main combustion of the vehicle, smoke clouds need to be increased, make them thicker.

Try do the same randomness. Not every vehicle needs to have identical effect.

Or do you like - Copy/Paste effect?

Edited by mickeymen
Lot Info, correction errors
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mickeymen i think the best solution for this is to disable the engine damage smoke when the whole vehicle is on fire due to ammo burning to make more sense, i wouldnt lie it annoyed me as well i tried to disable it through config but i thought it as a part of blastcore i wasted hours to find the variable 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, mickeymen said:

 

Dude, You still do not understand what I said. this is so unfortunate.

No, what you don't understand is you've had two people who have worked on this fine collection of mods tell you the original issue you described was a conflict with Blastcore, then you've back pedalled and changed what your original "bug report" stated saying its because the smoke is too light and wispy. 

 

13 hours ago, mickeymen said:

I am sure this is a completely doable task.

Thanks for your observations. The minimum you have to do is make it larger and shorter in length.

The direction of the spray should not be so low, different from the main combustion of the vehicle, smoke clouds need to be increased, make them thicker.

Try do the same randomness. Not every vehicle needs to have identical effect.

It would appear RHS has little to no inclination to change what they have done (not a statement of fact, if they do decide to change it thats up to them - I don't work with/for RHS), so perhaps YOU could TRY and DO a config patch for your own personal preference...Hell, maybe if you do a good enough job RHS will include it in their next update 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mickeymen said:

But if PXC is not worried about Blastcore users and he does not want to do this, then ok, we can all get through it.

who is this "he" = PXC?

 

19 hours ago, mickeymen said:

Yet the own RHS effect looks far from perfect.

neither is the engine this is based on

 

19 hours ago, mickeymen said:

I agree, but but who is forbidden to us to improve RHS and make it better and more realistic?

feel free to create your own addon to create your own effects for Arma3.

 

19 hours ago, mickeymen said:

My suggestion [...]

suggestions goes here - feedback.rhsmods.org

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mickeymen said:

And then look at real life:

Yeah, no that isn't the kind of vehicle fire that the RHS effects are intended to represent. Those are large fuel fires that occur several minutes after the vehicle is damaged from the spread of small fires, and burns the vehicle to a complete wreck. By default, Arma vehicles explode into massive fireballs and turn to wrecks when their hull hitpoints are depleted. This is accompanied by a short period where they burn with big flames and heavy smoke like what you show in the pictures.

 

RHS vehicles are generally quite difficult to kill in a way where they will explode catastrophically unless you hit the ammunition stowage. However it's quite easy to destroy the engine of the vehicle and effectively kill it.

This is where the little smoke fire effect comes from: to give an indication that the vehicle is effectively dead even if the ammunition hasn't exploded. This smoke has a long lifetime because there is no other visual indication that the vehicle's engine is dead: no wreck model, no black burned textures covering the whole model, no turrets thrown into an adjacent field. So if you encountered a vehicle that had its engine destroyed several minutes beforehand it would be possible to mistake it for an active enemy if there was no smoke and embers coming from the engine.

Unfortunately, BI's own fire and smoke effects for vehicles that are catastrophically destroyed, do not last long at all. So you don't get the kind of fiery wrecks from your photos littering the battlefield, because of how BI designed their effects. It's not what our smoke effects are for (which is why we didn't create the effects as thick black oily fuel smoke - the issue I was addressing from your use of blastcore - it completely changes the character of what the smoke is supposed to be), and we do not modify the game's default catastrophic destruction effects in order to make those kinds of fires happen.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I also like the realism in the game. If I knew how to make mods, I would make the tank drop the chain for RHS 😁

Edited by R0adki11
Image not needed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, da12thMonkey said:

Yeah, no that isn't the kind of vehicle fire that the RHS effects are intended to represent. Those are large fuel fires that occur several minutes after the vehicle is damaged from the spread of small fires, and burns the vehicle to a complete wreck. By default, Arma vehicles explode into massive fireballs and turn to wrecks when their hull hitpoints are depleted. This is accompanied by a short period where they burn with big flames and heavy smoke like what you show in the pictures.

 

RHS vehicles are generally quite difficult to kill in a way where they will explode catastrophically unless you hit the ammunition stowage. However it's quite easy to destroy the engine of the vehicle and effectively kill it.

This is where the little smoke fire effect comes from: to give an indication that the vehicle is effectively dead even if the ammunition hasn't exploded. This smoke has a long lifetime because there is no other visual indication that the vehicle's engine is dead: no wreck model, no black burned textures covering the whole model, no turrets thrown into an adjacent field. So if you encountered a vehicle that had its engine destroyed several minutes beforehand it would be possible to mistake it for an active enemy if there was no smoke and embers coming from the engine.

Unfortunately, BI's own fire and smoke effects for vehicles that are catastrophically destroyed, do not last long at all. So you don't get the kind of fiery wrecks from your photos littering the battlefield, because of how BI designed their effects. It's not what our smoke effects are for (which is why we didn't create the effects as thick black oily fuel smoke - the issue I was addressing from your use of blastcore - it completely changes the character of what the smoke is supposed to be), and we do not modify the game's default catastrophic destruction effects in order to make those kinds of fires happen.

I totally agree that the game has very poor damage effects (fire and smoke effects for vehicles without catastrophically destroyed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2021 at 7:51 PM, da12thMonkey said:

Yeah, no that isn't the kind of vehicle fire that the RHS effects are intended to represent. Those are large fuel fires that occur several minutes after the vehicle is damaged from the spread of small fires, and burns the vehicle to a complete wreck. By default, Arma vehicles explode into massive fireballs and turn to wrecks when their hull hitpoints are depleted. This is accompanied by a short period where they burn with big flames and heavy smoke like what you show in the pictures.

 

RHS vehicles are generally quite difficult to kill in a way where they will explode catastrophically unless you hit the ammunition stowage. However it's quite easy to destroy the engine of the vehicle and effectively kill it.

This is where the little smoke fire effect comes from: to give an indication that the vehicle is effectively dead even if the ammunition hasn't exploded. This smoke has a long lifetime because there is no other visual indication that the vehicle's engine is dead: no wreck model, no black burned textures covering the whole model, no turrets thrown into an adjacent field. So if you encountered a vehicle that had its engine destroyed several minutes beforehand it would be possible to mistake it for an active enemy if there was no smoke and embers coming from the engine.

Unfortunately, BI's own fire and smoke effects for vehicles that are catastrophically destroyed, do not last long at all. So you don't get the kind of fiery wrecks from your photos littering the battlefield, because of how BI designed their effects. It's not what our smoke effects are for (which is why we didn't create the effects as thick black oily fuel smoke - the issue I was addressing from your use of blastcore - it completely changes the character of what the smoke is supposed to be), and we do not modify the game's default catastrophic destruction effects in order to make those kinds of fires happen.

 

Thank you my friend for the detailed answer. 

Still, I did not find answers about the parameters which I described, such as FX scale, FX direction, FX randomness.

Well, okay. It seems that no one wants to talk about it... 


I have final questions.

 

How can the player turn off the engine smoke from the RHS mod? Is it possible with scripting to do or not possible?
I don't want to see those effects, because a player with my mod kit - have at least two reasons for this:

 

a) I am using ACE3 which already have damage FX for vehicles engine. Thus, the player with ACE3 + RHS gets a double effect.

 

35040404_m.jpg

 

Note! When I say RHS smoke in my screen, I mean the RHS smoke distorted with blastcore mod (because I use blastcore). 

But anyway with or without the blastcore mod, the player will receive two smoke from damaged engine - it is pointless.

 

b) I don't want to disable blastcore mod, as this is the best visual mod for Arma3.  I've seen above advices  like - "you must create a bug report for blastcore", but unfortunately this mod is dead.

I tried contacting their author in the Steam, but there was no effect. Thus the player with RHS + blascore gets those ugly long smokes that I showed you in my screenshot. Here is a conflict.

 

For these reasons, I do not want to see these  RHS smokes at engine damages. There is a solution?

 

 

PS: did you manage to reproduce the this bug:

Quote

 

I have long wanted to talk about another RHS issue.
Please Check the T-90 CM (object 188 CM) and T-90 CM (2016) tanks, its sights are not configured correctly.

If the player is in command, the subordinate AI gunner will always shoot above the target specified by the player.

 

 

or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mickeymen said:


How can the player turn off the engine smoke from the RHS mod? Is it possible with scripting to do or not possible?

if im not mistaken the config source is in CfgDestructionEffects.hpp in the rhsafrf_main.pbo
class RHS_Engine_Smoke, set the values to 0 or delete that section and see if it works 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I dropped Blastcore a while ago and switched to ArmaFXP (which is based on Blastcore) and it fixed a lot of Blastcore issues.  And because this is a RHS thread, to keep this on topic I'll add that ArmaFXP seems to play very nicely with RHS.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, gatordev said:

FWIW, I dropped Blastcore a while ago and switched to ArmaFXP (which is based on Blastcore) and it fixed a lot of Blastcore issues.  And because this is a RHS thread, to keep this on topic I'll add that ArmaFXP seems to play very nicely with RHS.

 

The Arma community continues to use blastcore, now I accidentally saw these distorted long and thin smokes like in my first screenshots

This video is new, from 8 june 2021. This means that people like blastcore as much as I do.

I think if RHS took care of this (renamed their smoke, to avoid conflicts) then the whole community would be good.

Such a simple thing...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure quoting a some random video as "the Arma community" is really the way to go here.

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed on the latest DCS Hind module that the pilot is able to see where the gunner is aiming through the pilots colimator sight. There is a "+" visible indicating the gunners aim. Is something like that possible in RHS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kibyde said:

I noticed on the latest DCS Hind module that the pilot is able to see where the gunner is aiming through the pilots colimator sight. There is a "+" visible indicating the gunners aim. Is something like that possible in RHS?

could you make some sort of vid/gif of this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, soul_assassin said:

could you make some sort of vid/gif of this?

You can see it in this video at about the 4 minutes 10 seconds

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×