So having recently binge watched the first 2 seasons of the walking dead, I am ready to thrown myself into Ravage in a big way.

One question though:does anyone who plays Ravage regularly have MCC running while they play it? I have had issues with other game modes like this which have loot spawning and enemy spawning systems. MCC seems to stop them working correctly. I'd love to know if anyone has experience with this?

I use MCC frequently with Ravage. I don't use any MCC mission settings though, just the interface.

This weekend is season premiere...

End of last season spoiler

I'm curious to see who neegan killed since they sometimes deviate from the comic...

Sorry for the OT

• Like 1

I use MCC frequently with Ravage. I don't use any MCC mission settings though, just the interface.

I dont use any mission settings either so should be okay :) Thats great thanks :)

One question though:does anyone who plays Ravage regularly have MCC running while they play it? I have had issues with other game modes like this which have loot spawning and enemy spawning systems. MCC seems to stop them working correctly. I'd love to know if anyone has experience with this?

Self confessed heavy user of both Ravage and MCC.....I can tell you using MCC as a tool for testing purposes in the Editor it's been invaluable to me....changing weather, time of day etc. on the fly, works a treat.......however, lately, and with the current Dev build of Ravage, MCC is causing instant CTD when loading any mission with placed Ravage modules. My belief is MCC is the culprit here, the mod hasn't been updated in nearly 6 months, but from what i read over on the MCC thread, an update is imminent.  

Self confessed heavy user of both Ravage and MCC in the past.....I can tell you using MCC as a tool for testing purposes in the Editor it's been invaluable to me....changing weather, time of day etc. on the fly, works a treat.......however, lately, and with the current Dev build of Ravage, MCC is causing instant CTD when loading any mission with placed Ravage modules. My belief is MCC is the culprit here, the mod hasn't been updated in nearly 6 months, but from what i read over on the MCC thread, an update is imminent.  

Oh dear..But it's only with Ravages Dev build? So I should be okay to play a bit tonight?

@ineptaphid, you can only but try brother.....

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say that I think the gasmask concepts aren't very good. I think Haleks' idea is the best of the lot.

Sticking a cutout of a gasmask shape on the screen seems like an accurate way to do it, but it doesn't really mesh with reality. No doubt some of the people reading this wear glasses. Do you see an in-vision focussed outline of your spectacles constantly? Nope. You're sitting at your computer now. Looking at your monitor and without moving your head or eyes, just how much can you see outside the frame of the monitor? Quite a lot, huh? For those of you wearing glasses, how much of the monitor falls within the frames of your glasses? All of it. So how is it realistic to show an outline of a mask/goggles/spectacles within that range of view?

Remember - computer monitors do not match the field of view you have in real life. Goggles and gas masks fit around our eyes. If we concentrate and look hard, we can make out the surround of the mask/goggles, but in normal viewing, we are barely aware of it. We mostly concentrate on a limited field of view directly in front of us. Computer monitors are akin to that aspect of our vision - they simply aren't wide enough to occupy the full field of our vision.

If I put on a gas mask right now, how much of my view of the monitor would the frame of the mask obscure? None of it. I would have to sit with my nose practically touching the screen for an on-screen mask frame to match what I see in real life. The only way that an outline could be realistic is if I'm using three monitors or a super widescreen one.

The DayZ gasmask video deals with rain and damage quite well by keeping them very blurred, but even the outline on that impinges on your vision way more than it ever would in real life. Sure, there should be some kind of vision restriction when wearing a mask and I think Haleks' concept does the best job of this compromise.

I don't mean to pour scorn on anyone's ideas, but it seems to me that it's easy to focus on the detail of an idea rather than the validity of the idea itself. An idée fixe, if you like...

• Like 6

Regarding gasmasks, the comments by kodabar are spot on. I much prefer the minimalistic approach put forward by haleks, a subtle overlay coupled with a killer sound effect is all that's needed to simulate wearing a gasmask. 

• Like 3

Hey,

Wearing a gasmask impose a reduce field of view, so using a way to show a mask interior view is better than just a simple effect on the screen edges.

You want realism on many things in the mods, but when we speaks about adding realistic things like HUD elements that can clearly reduce the visibility like in real life, you're all against that idea and prefer a soft option.

I'll never understand this contradiction.

I still think that using a realistic view of a gasmask interior is far better than a simple soft edges effect.

• Like 2

You want realism on many things in the mods, but when we speaks about adding realistic things like HUD elements that can clearly reduce the visibility like in real life, you're all against that idea and prefer a soft option.

I'll never understand this contradiction.

I wouldn't say all against, at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We shall have to see what  haleks chooses after all it his mod ;)

• Like 2

I wouldn't say all against, at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We shall have to see what  haleks chooses after all it his mod  ;)

I just said a truth, and never said that an idea must be used instead another one. Of course haleks choose and do what he wants, he is the author of the mod, there's never been question of opposition to that fact in my posts.

The only thing I said is that everybody wants realistic things but move back for a softer solution when we have the opportunity to have something good for experience. Never speak about refusing opinion, just giving my own  ;)

My answer was not for haleks but for some others who asked for realism and vote for a softer and unrealistic solution.

Do you see an in-vision focussed outline of your spectacles constantly? Nope.

Yeah... If you read my post instead of just reacting by viewing an image, maybe you can notice that I speak about modify and rework the image to fit reality and that it's just for testing purpose.

Speaking about visibility, maybe you can give a better view to my post before judging and avoid reacting about things that has never been said.

Wearing a gasmask impose a reduce field of view, so using a way to show a mask interior view is better than just a simple effect on the screen edges.

You're imagining this is realistic, but it really isn't.

The outline image appears to be an M50 - the standard US military gas mask. I've got one sitting on my desk. When I put it on, it doesn't restrict my vision, except at the very edges of my peripheral vision. As much as I try, there is simply no way that I can look through it and see the frame imposed on my view.

The only way that having the frame in my field of view can be realistic is if my eyes are four inches farther back in my head or the gas mask is four inches in front of my face. And even then, it's only realistic to have it in view the whole time if I keep my eyes fixed forward and only turn my head.

If you're in any doubt, try putting on a gas mask and having a look for yourself.

Pictures demonstrating all this in the spoiler.

Here's a photo of an M50:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/U.S._Air_Force_Staff_Sgt._Michelle_King%2C_the_emergency_manager_for_the_127th_Civil_Engineer_Squadron%2C_Michigan_Air_National_Guard%2C_wears_the_new_M50_joint_service_general_purpose_mask_Dec._1%2C_2011%2C_at_Selfridge_111201-F-AT076-004.jpg

And here's a diagram showing how human vision works:

https://static.blippar.com/media/public/2016/08/02/view.jpg

Not at all realistic view from an M50:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x113/kodabar/not%20realistic_zpscxfpl9ps.jpg

A fairly realistic view from an M50. This roughly matches what I can see through it when sitting at the normal distance from the monitors. I can't really see the nosepiece in real life due to binocular vision. The only way I can make this more realistic is to put the camera in the gas mask and there isn't room to do so unless I remove the lens from the mask:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x113/kodabar/fairly%20realistic_zpsv6guqqxu.jpg

• Like 4

Yes, you should be able too, there are a few videos on the Ravage utube channel where Ravage and Exile are being played together.

On another subject, talking about being realistic and then playing a mod that has zombies, lol but i get the idea, def want to play with realistic, believable gear, immersion in use

of equipment i think would make a not so believable situation to a zombied, and post apocalyptic setting work.

Throw in some night time, bit of rain, thunder, flashes of lightening, a little breeze, and some cool guns, and some eerie ambient music,

add a flashlight, and let your imagination run wild,

lol reminds me of when i recorded this playing Stalker:

you can recreate the same atmosphere in Ravage ;)

Haleks just got an idea from my vid above, as you can see if you watch it, when the player brings up their binocs, and look around you get like brackets that will showup

on targets (enemies) and then bleep, if they are friendly they are green, if they are enemy their red, what you think about adding such a feature?

Actually now that I think of it you can do this with googles or glasses in Arma3, then use TPW mod with that rain on the glasses effect, havent

used that feature for the googles in over a year so idk if it still works.

• Like 1

Can I adjust how much damage the zombies can take they seem too weak now. Also it would be neat if there was some particle effects that look like chunks of zombies are getting shot off imagine unloading half a clip in a zombie to kill it with it's guts flying everywhere it would be grandiose.

Hi guys,

I appreciate everyone's input on the gasmask FX; of course Ravage being mostly about survival, realism matters a great deal - or I'd rather say immersion rather than realism.

For now Ravage is like a light survival sim, just like Arma is a light milsim; there's room for more advanced mechanics and those might come in later. But right now the focus is on finishing implementation of simple stuff that is functionnal and immersive enough.

Regarding gasmask overlays, I simply don't intend to do those at this point : it doesn't seem worth redoing features from other addons that work perfectly well and are supported already. Ravage has built-in configs for both ACE/AGM_goggles and its (older) standalone version (ZAM glasses), those will add overlays, simulate wetness when raining, dirt from explosions, crackings etc... and it's not overdone like in that DayZ video. The point with the PP effects I'm adding is to provide something light for those who don't use these mods, while adding a little extra for those who do use them.

I might eventually go further with the visual FX, but it's not the priority. Keep in mind that I have a lot of projects and little time.

• Like 7

I think that the two provide a different sensation 

the less intrusive overlay is close to what it looks like through a 1st person perspective.

The more intrusive overlay simulates the feeling of wearing the mask on the face that you would feel and gives a bit of the sense of claustrophobia

Really down to personal preference.

ACE/AGM goggles work very well IMO 

• Like 2

I seem to be having problems with saves - I have this set of mods - Cup Core, Cup Terrains, RHS USAF, AFRF, Ravage and Ryan's Zombies. I downloaded mission "DayZ on Chernarus", because I love Chernarus and zombies,everything works great (and mod is cool, cannot wait for new features), saving does too, but once I quit the game I have to start all over again. What do I do wrong? Is it the mission?

i like haleks' overlay more for the simple fact that it's subtle and blurry. having a focussed sharp texture makes it look like your eyes have the mask in focus instead of where you're actually looking. much like you can cross your eyes to look at your own nose (if it's big enough lol). jsut since we where talking realism. i'd actually love if the vanilla "3d" scopes in arma would be out of focus too but oh well.

• Like 2

Fuck yeah, I finally did it!

I managed to disable those goddamn breathing sounds - on the fly! This means I can (at last) disable them completely as soon as the player wears a gasmask, and restore them when he removes it - while leaving everything else intact (sounds, voices and fatigue simulation). No more low stamina breaths overlapping gasmask sound effects.

The downside of the system I'm using is that it requires new configs for each voice ingame (meaning it won't work with russian or german speaking units - e.g RHS and IF3L); I had a universal solution, but the code was sloppy and didn't work 100%.

Anyway, immersion gasmask-wise should be total as of Ravage 1.40!

:yay:

Here's the current changelog for the next release :

Tweaked :
Improved support for Marksmen DLC.
Players have to remove their gasmask or special helmet to take antirads.
Traders are no longer limited to their inventory space, allowing them to buy more items.
Restored enemy callouts (use Discipline mod if you want to disable them completely).
Tweaked enemy callouts so they don't spam radio comms.
Improved distance to target detection before triggering zombie attack animations - now relative to target size.
Restored OpenBag action.
OpenBag action doesn't pop up in the middle of the screen anymore.
Stealing (or ordering to steal) from a backpack wich doesn't belong to your group or a player decreases your rating.
Improved Gasmask SFX handling (vanilla breathing sounds are completely disabled while a gasmask is equipped).
Various minor tweaks.

Fixed :
Multiple issues when selling weapons and magazines to traders.
Fixed several typos in the modules tooltips.
The minimum safe spawn distance wasn't correctly applied for the Ambient Zombies module.
Fixed an error preventing Hordes from spawning.
Fixed props and static objects spawning in mid-air.
Error with groupLootSearch function.

New :
Added a new parameter to the gear pool module defining chances for survivors to wear military grade uniforms.
Added a new Safe Zone module to exclude hostile AI and/or radiations around its position.
New handling of damage dealt by zombies (natively compatible with ACE,AGM,CSE,VTN and other similar modifications), now influenced by armor values.
Mission makers can now specify different uniforms arrays for each Horde.
Added gasmask visual effects (survival module has to be present for it to kick-in).
New renegade faces by Cosmic10R && Bad Benson.

Haleks just got an idea from my vid above, as you can see if you watch it, when the player brings up their binocs, and look around you get like brackets that will showup

on targets (enemies) and then bleep, if they are friendly they are green, if they are enemy their red, what you think about adding such a feature?

Actually now that I think of it you can do this with googles or glasses in Arma3, then use TPW mod with that rain on the glasses effect, havent

used that feature for the googles in over a year so idk if it still works.

It can be a cool feature, although I feel it's a bit arcadish for Ravage.

Speaking of TPW, this baby works brilliantly : https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/194221-ghost-recon-crosscom/

I seem to be having problems with saves - I have this set of mods - Cup Core, Cup Terrains, RHS USAF, AFRF, Ravage and Ryan's Zombies. I downloaded mission "DayZ on Chernarus", because I love Chernarus and zombies,everything works great (and mod is cool, cannot wait for new features), saving does too, but once I quit the game I have to start all over again. What do I do wrong? Is it the mission?

Aren't you missing CBA? Is everything up-to-date (latest Arma3 version)?

EDIT : with a bit of work, I reckon I could adapt the new "dynamic breaths" feature to fix one of the oldest issues in Arma3, wich is breathing sounds overlapping sentences...

• Like 11

I forgot to type that. Yes it is. Seems to be problem with the mission (already asked the author). Did not try Altis version yet.

Im really confused here , did you managed to remove the rebreather effects that happen while wearing a gas mask or the sounds from heavy fatigue that happening the same time as the rebreather sounds?

If so, does that mean that we will not get those nice "filter" breathing sounds while wearing a gas mask?

I remove the sounds from heavy fatigue so they don't mess with the gasmask sounds. ;)

• Like 2

Nice changelog haleks, cant wait for the next release

question: becomes chernobyl zone a loot spawning support in version 140 ?