dead kennedy

Veteran mod (VTN) - announcement and WIP

It took me a long time to try this mod and I must say I was a fool for not trying it before. Good job I like it. I did found two things that should be fixed:

1. Some weapons grips colours are too bright, both plastic and wooden parts. That orange colour is really easy to spot. You should make them little darker and more "dry". Also some of your weapons has a too dark black colour. A3 Engine is not very good when comes to making a good black colour, without making it look it's make from crayon or wet. You should add little brightness to it and more "dry", avoid making pitch black colour/texture. Also PASGAT helmet is too bright, darken it a little please.

2. You have lot's of equipment, including weapons with same name. You should edit names to make it more distinguished, add a letter or at least a number.

Overall great mod, I also like that you disabled zoom, good idea.

This disabling zoom maybe is good idea if you play in 4K, but for me, playing in 1600X900 or 1920X1080 it isnt good. I barelly see enemy. In real i can focus my eyes on something, in VTN not. Also Arma engine is not so good at rendering object in distance (mainly vegetation and buildings), so finding enemy in not rendered to the last LOD bush is impossible, only way to finish render that bush (to the last LOD) is zoom at it - again its impossible. Maybe its good feature, but not for arma, this zooming feature was placed beacuse of ugly rendering and unrealistic FOV.

• Like 1

This disabling zoom maybe is good idea if you play in 4K, but for me, playing in 1600X900 or 1920X1080 it isnt good. I barelly see enemy. In real i can focus my eyes on something, in VTN not. Also Arma engine is not so good at rendering object in distance (mainly vegetation and buildings), so finding enemy in not rendered to the last LOD bush is impossible, only way to finish render that bush (to the last LOD) is zoom at it - again its impossible. Maybe its good feature, but not for arma, this zooming feature was placed beacuse of ugly rendering and unrealistic FOV.

4K?  I play on my max 1280x1024 5:4, and I have no problem with long range ironsight aiming with A3 or with VTN mode, but then again as in real life ironsight aiming is good enough up to 300m everything above is really hard to hit a target (unless you are at firing range), that's why you should use optics. What kind of problem are you getting, you could lower resolution and play in window mode. When comes to real life, eye focusing is similar to Depth of Field effect not zooming.

EDIT,06.09.2015:  To VTN team, I see you made some textures to be 4096x4096 which is unnecessary, you should have your texture template set at 4096 but once you export it into game, then lower it to 2048, it saves space and same quality.

Well i see sh*t and it was rolled many times on other topics, so ZOOMING ABILITY is necessary here, specially if AI SHOOT SO HIGH ACCURACY, while i cant see them. While you zooming in, all in front of you is rendered on better quality - that how arma engine works. I can imagine situation where you see enemy in unrendered bush - it require some roentgen visibility.

• Like 1

The strange thing , you can not kill the soldier not from AK, not from the M4, or SVD,  at point blank range in the head , It takes a few mag's, only to injure. I tested only on Russian soldiers. ARMA ver. 1.50

P.S. Tested without other mods, only VTN

• Like 1

Guys, did you stopped your fantastic work? I wonder how you made so great working Russian Radio Protocols...... You could create Russian Radio's as separate addon for opfor units.

I'm not with the team anymore. Don't know why they don't update this tread.

arma32015-09-2820-04-19-736bd9a70ed6.jpg

arma32015-09-2820-04-59-99a29f87e7c8.jpg

RPK74cdb87.jpg

• Like 3

Well, updates is what we need :) UAZ's looks fantastic. Still waiting for new stuff like tanks ;)

PS; Good to see the mod isn't dead.

Uh, yes - I thought this mod was dead - our clan recently kicked it from our modlist, because there weren't any updates for it and no response in this thread. By far the biggest problem was the compatibility issue with the ACE medic system - would be so nice if the VTN medic system could deactivate itself when ACE is detected. Second big problem we had, was some kind of scope issue in a mix with RHS, Joint Rails/CBA. VTN scopes did match weapons from RHS f.e. but didnt appear on the weapon and tilted the camera perspective when aimed through - some VTN weapons woulnd show any scopes at all...

We have seen fantastic pictures (much needed russian transport plane, MI-28 Havoc(!!!), MIG-29, LAV-25, aso) of this mod and even videos with T-90 tanks but didnt get any ingame content of that hot stuff :( - and no information here, whats really sad, because I dont speak russian and cant make any use of the VTN webpage (I think they announced a website in english some months ago... but never seen it). I would love to hear that this mod isnt dead, about to bring those cool vehicles in and is now compatible with ACE and CBA *praying* :) 

• Like 2

Yes, i see big potential in this mod, specially when i open weapon list (cant get to its end :D ). Wehicles is the only features which is needed for typical arma gameplay. Most strange for me was CMA Mi-28 wchich production was stopped and mod developer says "Veteran mod and RHS will heave their very own projects of MI-28". MI-28N is something that this game really need... Mi-48 Kajman is lightly sayed "bad".

About compatibility with ACE - you (we) need to ask for that ACE guys. They are making compatibilities files for each big mod.

I dont the ACE guys can do anything about that. They cant deacticate certain Functions in foreign mods. But that would be needed here. Vtn medic system would have top completly deactivate itself. I think no one else than the vtn guys could do that. Im hoping for that because they said they loved ACE back in the days.... So pls make it happen....

Uh, yes - I thought this mod was dead - our clan recently kicked it from our modlist, because there weren't any updates for it and no response in this thread. By far the biggest problem was the compatibility issue with the ACE medic system - would be so nice if the VTN medic system could deactivate itself when ACE is detected. Second big problem we had, was some kind of scope issue in a mix with RHS, Joint Rails/CBA. VTN scopes did match weapons from RHS f.e. but didnt appear on the weapon and tilted the camera perspective when aimed through - some VTN weapons woulnd show any scopes at all...

We have seen fantastic pictures (much needed russian transport plane, MI-28 Havoc(!!!), MIG-29, LAV-25, aso) of this mod and even videos with T-90 tanks but didnt get any ingame content of that hot stuff :( - and no information here, whats really sad, because I dont speak russian and cant make any use of the VTN webpage (I think they announced a website in english some months ago... but never seen it). I would love to hear that this mod isnt dead, about to bring those cool vehicles in and is now compatible with ACE and CBA *praying* :)

Just delete the medical pbo in addon folder and all of that stuff will be gone from mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont the ACE guys can do anything about that. They cant deacticate certain Functions in foreign mods. But that would be needed here. Vtn medic system would have top completly deactivate itself. I think no one else than the vtn guys could do that. Im hoping for that because they said they loved ACE back in the days.... So pls make it happen....

Just DELETE the medical pbo in addon folder. It doesn't effect the mod....just takes out all the medical stuff.

My biggest issue with this mod is that on some of the best weapons the scopes do not work. You can add the optic but it doesn't show on weapon. For example the AK-105 that has the rail system and shorty MOE vertical grip cannot take optics.

Just DELETE the medical pbo in addon folder. It doesn't effect the mod....just takes out all the medical stuff.

My biggest issue with this mod is that on some of the best weapons the scopes do not work. You can add the optic but it doesn't show on weapon. For example the AK-105 that has the rail system and shorty MOE vertical grip cannot take optics.

Deleting the PBO is not an option for us. It works, but you will get different error messages, script failures aso - as well the editor wont preview your missions anymore (with show script errors: on). But the main reason we cant do that is, we're running a tactical server open for casual players who have to subscribe our mod-collection - in which VTN does have that PBO. We cant explain to everyone who joins, that he has to: exit the game - delete the PBO - return to our server - ignore the error messages - and then play. Best thing would a general compatibility to ACE or the possibility to activate the VTN medical system by placing a modul on the map, or just leave it.

Yeah, we had that scope-issue too. Thats what I meant. I would love to return VTN to our modset, but my clanmates wont accept it until those issues are solved. ACE is mandatory for us with its medic system.

• Like 2

Deleting the PBO is not an option for us. It works, but you will get different error messages, script failures aso - as well the editor wont preview your missions anymore (with show script errors: on). But the main reason we cant do that is, we're running a tactical server open for casual players who have to subscribe our mod-collection - in which VTN does have that PBO. We cant explain to everyone who joins, that he has to: exit the game - delete the PBO - return to our server - ignore the error messages - and then play. Best thing would a general compatibility to ACE or the possibility to activate the VTN medical system by placing a modul on the map, or just leave it.

Yeah, we had that scope-issue too. Thats what I meant. I would love to return VTN to our modset, but my clanmates wont accept it until those issues are solved. ACE is mandatory for us with its medic system.

Hey mdtorch, it may work if you delete MORE than just one .pbo.. it seems they´re interlinked but a few pages back they list 6 .pbo´s that can be disabled without further problems so you disable the medical and interaction system in favor of ACE´s:

look here https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174404-veteran-mod-vtn-announcement-and-wip/page-25#entry2868824

But they really desesparetely need a ASDG JR support =P

cheers!

• Like 1

Hey mdtorch, it may work if you delete MORE than just one .pbo.. it seems they´re interlinked but a few pages back they list 6 .pbo´s that can be disabled without further problems so you disable the medical and interaction system in favor of ACE´s:

look here https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174404-veteran-mod-vtn-announcement-and-wip/page-25#entry2868824

But they really desesparetely need a ASDG JR support =P

cheers!

Hey, thanx m8,

yeah, that would work for me and my clanmates, at least we wouldn't get the error messages, but as I said, we can't explain that procedure to everyone who joins our server with those mods. People would join, take VTN wounds which cannot be healed with ACE and leave frustrated. We would have to welcome everyone with a message like "Hi, welcome to our server, pls leave and delete x.pbo, y.pbo and z.pbo to play without errors, then you may return." - That would be stupid and I'm sure wont work at all.

I have some sort of offroad turret error after launch at the main menu and again when going into editor, does anyone else have this?

Create your own modpack repository (like we do at USSOCOM) through A3Sync or PlaywithSix.....that way all your community members can easily stay updated (as it will push an update and notify your members that there's an update.....once they hit ok it will update for them instead of going and having them download everything themselves. It's much much easier.

That's very strange....I just delete that pbo and I have no issues at all....maybe you're running a conflicting mod or another mod or script that is utilizing that pbo.

• Like 1

Do you play with "Showscripterrors: on"? We need to do that, because we play/test a custom mission with those mods, and need to see everything that doesnt work.

That custom repository sounds interessting. We use Pw6 and have a collection with the needed mods, so our users can subscribe to that package and join our server, but can you explain to me how I create a collection with a version of VTN where the problematic PBOs are deleted? Is that even legal?

Yeah it's legal....just because it's released in full doesn't mean you must use all of it. That's why a lot of addon makers have bits and pieces of their mod separated into different pbo's (well one of the reasons).

I'm not real familiar with PlaywithSix (as I'm not a fan of it)...but I'm sure there is something on there website or software that'll tell you how. I know with A3Sync it runs you through step by step how to do it. It basically links right up with your A3 directory in your server and when you update it all you have to do is hit a button to compile the new updates, versions, mods, etc... And it will then push out that update to everyone who has the repo setup within A3Sync