dead kennedy

Veteran mod (VTN) - announcement and WIP

I made a patch. Returns the zoom. Connect as an addon

Download

does this still work on the current version of vtn?

Yes, many thanks for this.

I love VTN for many things but hate this disabling zoom feature.

• Like 1

Yes, many thanks for this.

I love VTN for many things but hate this disabling zoom feature.

On the contrast I really love the that feature, you aren't a robot to have super vision or something so why is that even in arma.

On the contrast I really love the that feature, you aren't a robot to have super vision or something so why is that even in arma.

As long as The AI can, i want to be able...

As a compromise between having a decent FOV and a decent ability to see detail, I've got a 1600 x 900 screen and really struggle to pick things out at any decent range (especially with my low graphics settings). I kinda like not having the zoom because it does feel a bit weird to be able to suddenly zoom in, but it's basically just compensating for the limits of a computer game. 

Well AI can sink in terrain, we cant. Ai can see through grazz why they are sinked - we cant. AI can detect properly direction of shooter from great distance in 2 seconds - we cant. Disabling zoom option wasnt good choice here. BTW we have lost opportunity to look at briliant models you got here - weapons, vehicles - we cant zoom to look at more details. Arma need zooming beacuse its FoV is shitty. Just sit in the A3 blackhawk (or whatever name it is)  with infantry inside, and look around - center of view "sees" everything smaller, while sides of view sees everything bigger. Thats why the zoom is needed. In real life i see everything in same size

Well AI can sink in terrain, we cant. Ai can see through grazz why they are sinked - we cant. AI can detect properly direction of shooter from great distance in 2 seconds - we cant. Disabling zoom option wasnt good choice here.

Actually, zoom can't help you to see through walls and grass, like AI. And again - with zoom you can effectively use weapons with iron sights on distances more than 200-400 meters. Now, in Arma, with zoom you can grab old AKM with iron sight and kill enemy on 1000-1500 meters (not one bullet, but anyway). It's absolutely unrealistic. You need optics for that. Disabled zoom can help solve some problems with unrealistic distances of firefights and low needs in optics. Without zoom you really need binoculars and optical sights for firefights on distances more than 200-400 meters. Like in real life.  

• Like 1

Well AI can sink in terrain, we cant. Ai can see through grazz why they are sinked - we cant. AI can detect properly direction of shooter from great distance in 2 seconds - we cant. Disabling zoom option wasnt good choice here. BTW we have lost opportunity to look at briliant models you got here - weapons, vehicles - we cant zoom to look at more details. Arma need zooming beacuse its FoV is shitty. Just sit in the A3 blackhawk (or whatever name it is)  with infantry inside, and look around - center of view "sees" everything smaller, while sides of view sees everything bigger. Thats why the zoom is needed. In real life i see everything in same size

1. The problem is in AI not VTN.

2. To get 1:1 object size you need to properly configure you FOV settings (in your profile). But you will get narrow sight.

1. The problem is in AI not VTN.

2. To get 1:1 object size you need to properly configure you FOV settings (in your profile). But you will get narrow sight.

I have properly configured FOV (16:9)

AI is problem of Arma, Arma enables Zoom = simply recover of loose.

Actually, zoom can't help you to see through walls and grass, like AI. And again - with zoom you can effectively use weapons with iron sights on distances more than 200-400 meters. Now, in Arma, with zoom you can grab old AKM with iron sight and kill enemy on 1000-1500 meters (not one bullet, but anyway). It's absolutely unrealistic. You need optics for that. Disabled zoom can help solve some problems with unrealistic distances of firefights and low needs in optics. Without zoom you really need binoculars and optical sights for firefights on distances more than 200-400 meters. Like in real life.  

Did you hited 1500m target with iron sight? Beacuse i didnt. More - in real you can focus your eyes in sight, just like zooming the view. And zooming helping me to find AI hidden (sinked in those grass). This is why this option have been applied. Shitty FoV need great zooming.

Did you hited 1500m target with iron sight?

It possible with zoom. There have been cases in some PvP projects, like WOG.

More - in real you can focus your eyes in sight, just like zooming the view. And zooming helping me to find AI hidden (sinked in those grass). This is why this option have been applied. Shitty FoV need great zooming.

But size of target will not change, like it happens with zoom :) Again - zoom make the optics not necessary. You just don't need binoculars or optical sights for searching and enagaging targets. But in real life you need optics to engage targets on distances more than 200-400 meters.

Do you have any proof? I am highly skeptical...

But size of target will not change, like it happens with zoom :) Again - zoom make the optics not necessary. You just don't need binoculars or optical sights for searching and enagaging targets. But in real life you need optics to engage targets on distances more than 200-400 meters.

Well, there's still a bunch of weird things you can do in Arma, which you cannot do in real life:)  It's a game after all. With no zoom you're almost blind against enemy AI which detects you from a long distance, through the grass and trees and able to engage you effectively no matter whether it uses optics or not. That's kinda unfair, don't you think? Well for multiplayer maybe disabling zoom makes some sense, at least everybody is in equal conditions, but not in a singleplayer mode.

You guys did a great job with your mod. I like the way it changes game mechanics, especially the shooting part, when bullet hits body. It leaves a very realistic feel of making a shot and weapon's firepower. Kinda thing ACE guys did in Arma 1/2, but not in Arma 3 version of ACE. I know that your mod is intended primarily for multiplayer use but I still enjoy it in a singleplayer since I'm not an MP guy.

Anyways, here's my zoom fix based on TECAK's work. This one should work just fine, no issues with displaying weapons. Just include @zoom folder as an addon :D :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xoervufibeay0e9/vtn%20zoom%20fix.7z?dl=0

P.S.: Does everybody have an issue with displaying some PSO scopes in build 1445 or it's just me?

• Like 3

Like i sayed before, if target is in center of sight its smaller, objects on the edges of screen are bigger - so no, size of target is changing.

After all you did a great job with this mod, but player cant zoom to lok on details.... Zoom should be switchable - server adming could use script parameter to force it on, while on single player user can decide on his own.

I have properly configured FOV (16:9)

Nope. You use standard game FOV. For relistic FOV you need to do some calculations. Read this http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21934 or google some information in Internet.

Zoom made to compensate hardware drawbacks and make possible to use close to reality angle of view and object perception. In vanilla game you have two regimes:

1. Standard: wide angle of view close to reality and wrong object perception;

2. Zoomed: narrow angle of view but close to reality object perception.

UPD: Here you may find comparison video (player on it uses zoom but to get 1:1 object perception it should be locked on standard value)

With no zoom you're almost blind against enemy AI which detects you from a long distance, through the grass and trees and able to engage you effectively no matter whether it uses optics or not. That's kinda unfair, don't you think?

Agian :) Let me explain something :)

With zoom you are anyway blind against enemy AI, which detects you from a long distance, through the grass and trees and able to engage you effectively, even if you using zoom  :D This is AI issue, not VTN :)

Like i sayed before, if target is in center of sight its smaller, objects on the edges of screen are bigger - so no, size of target is changing.

I saying about difference between size of target in default view and zoomed view :)

Nope. You use standard game FOV. For relistic FOV you need to do some calculations. Read this http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21934 or google some information in Internet.

Zoom made to compensate hardware drawbacks and make possible to use close to reality angle of view and object perception. In vanilla game you have two regimes:

1. Standard: wide angle of view close to reality and wrong object perception;

2. Zoomed: narrow angle of view but close to reality object perception.

UPD: Here you may find comparison video (player on it uses zoom but to get 1:1 object perception it should be locked on standard value)

So if i understand well, smaller = better? I want to see distance Ai more clearly.

@DAP - believe me i have bigger chances with zoom than without it.

believe me i have bigger chances with zoom than without it.

Of course :) And with cheats too :D Actually, this is the same. Zoom - it's legal cheat. In real life you have no zoom. That's why VTN remove zoom from the game. And this make all firefights more realistic.