dead kennedy

Veteran mod (VTN) - announcement and WIP

I figured out good FOV for me using this :

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/147866-utility-arma-fov-changer/

fovTop=0.63;

fovLeft=1.11;

Don't know what mean "good FOV". We are talking about realistic FOV. What does that mean:

you see objects on the screen the same size as in real world.

To know that you need to know what is the distance from eyes to monitor and actual monitor size.

Don't know what mean "good FOV". We are talking about realistic FOV. What does that mean:

you see objects on the screen the same size as in real world.

To know that you need to know what is the distance from eyes to monitor and actual monitor size.

I'm sitting about 90cm from 22" monitor.

Of course :) And with cheats too :D Actually, this is the same. Zoom - it's legal cheat. In real life you have no zoom. That's why VTN remove zoom from the game. And this make all firefights more realistic.

In real life you have no 1920x1080 eye resolution.

• Like 2

Agreed, so unless you're playing the game in 4k VR goggles the zoom remains a necessity as a close-gap measure that actually contributes towards realism, rather than diminishing it.

I'm highly skeptical towards this mod for this exact reason; I'd be more than happy to try its content itself, but instead it comes with a "package" of features I'd rather avoid using.

In real life you have no 1920x1080 eye resolution.

It doesn't matter, because we talking about gameplay. Main idea not in realistic "image resolution" but in realistic distance of firefight and optics usage. You can't effectively engage targets with iron sights on distance more than 200-400 meters. Even on 400 meters it's a big problem. No exeptions from this rule. But zoom gives you this ability. And this is absolutly unrealistic. There is only one reason for zoom existing:

I have bigger chances with zoom than without it.

All in those words :)

It doesn't matter, because we talking about gameplay. Main idea not in realistic "image resolution" but in realistic distance of firefight and optics usage. You can't effectively engage targets with iron sights on distance more than 200-400 meters. Even on 400 meters it's a big problem. No exeptions from this rule. But zoom gives you this ability. And this is absolutly unrealistic. There is only one reason for zoom existing:

But zoom is not being forced in any way right now. If you think it's unrealistic, you don't have to use it. Enforcing your (your group's) playstyle to other players is ridiculous.

• Like 2

But zoom is not being forced in any way right now. If you think it's unrealistic, you don't have to use it. Enforcing your (your group's) playstyle to other players is ridiculous.

Stop complaining, If you don't like what VTN changes then simply don't play it, it is solely up to the developers what they want and don't want in their mod 

Stop complaining, If you don't like what VTN changes then simply don't play it, it is solely up to the developers what they want and don't want in their mod

If you have nothing constructive to say, just say nothing. They don't need any third-party spokesman. I'm just giving my feedback and trying to explain why something like zoom is implemented in ArmA in the first place.

You can't effectively engage targets with iron sights on distance more than 200-400 meters.

Ah, forgot one thing in the previous post. Without zoom you're not able to effectively engage target with iron sights on more than 100 meters because of the game resolution. You should also think about players that play on lower resolutions, they won't see anything there. Zoom is to compensate such things.
  • Like 2

Contributing to the feedback provided by MATANZA, I'd like to note that "focused eyesight" (3x zoom in current arma version, 2x zoom pre-1.48) also allows for better LODs to load, increasing your soldiers visual acuity to actually match correct eyesight, not giving you any superhuman abilities. Firefights are still difficult without proper optic on high ranges.

If you have nothing constructive to say, just say nothing. They don't need any third-party spokesman. I'm just giving my feedback and trying to explain why something like zoom is implemented in ArmA in the first place.

You think your feedback is constructive, it's just dribble about a feature that YOU dislike, the VTN Devs have removed the zoom feature clearly because they think it is unrealistic. That being said it is their work and they can do with it as they wish, i personally enjoy this feature and it has ample amount of reason to be implemented in the mod, so step off and let it be, if they liked the zoom feature then it would never have been removed in the first place.

Which part of my feedback is not constructive?

I said that IMO zoom should stay enabled, because:

1. In real life your eyes are not in 1920x1080 resolution, so there's no problem like low pixel count.

2. In real life there's no such thing as Level Of Details of "rendered" objects.

3. Players with lower settings and resolutions will have a hard time seeing anything without zoom.

And look at you. The only statement you can express is "IF YOU DONT LIKE THE MOD DO NOT PLAY IT". How old are you, 14?

MATANZA's tutorial on "How to disable unwanted features"

aa3mh5.jpg

iwyuqu.jpg

jwazy8.jpg

948p8x.jpg

n80vgi.jpg

Thank me later.

• Like 1

I said that IMO

Yes, and you are entitled to that opinion

1. In real life your eyes are not in 1920x1080 resolution, so there's no problem like low pixel count.

2. In real life there's no such thing as Level Of Details of "rendered" objects.

3. Players with lower settings and resolutions will have a hard time seeing anything without zoom

Justified reasons. Yet i say it again, the Authors have this feature for a reason. To enhance the feeling of immersion by allowing you not to zoom.

At the end of the day this mod is called Veteran Mod for a reason, for (yet not limited to) veterans of the franchise whom wish to see a hard and authentic virtual combat environment that reflects some aspects of real world combat. If you really want to zoom into a specific area, look through the scope, that's why they were made ;)

At the end of the day this mod is called Veteran Mod for a reason, for veterans of the franchise whom wish to see a hard and authentic virtual combat environment that reflects some aspects of real world combat.

There's nothing "authentic" in deleting this feature, it's just artificial difficulty. Why? For the reasons I stated earlier.

I see nothing immersive in not being able to see shit I would normally see in real world.

"For veterans"... lold.

• Like 2

There's nothing "authentic" in deleting this feature, it's just artificial difficulty. Why? For the reasons I stated earlier.

I see nothing immersive in not being able to see shit I would normally see in real world.

"For veterans"... lold.

This is throwing the thread off topic, clearly the feature won't be changed anytime soon, if at all. Your just going to have to put up with it, it is what it is.

Have a good one mate.

• Like 1

VTN is played on russian TvT server. And all players must be in the same conditions not to get special benefits.

I know that a lot of people want to see zoom back but developers removed it on purpose and will never return it back. The answer is clear - mod is free and devs want to see it without zoom. Also, I know that no one can restrict to make config patches but when you do that ask yourself - will developers be ok with it? You remove main feature of the mod. Don't think that posting such config patches in this thread make developers happy.

Agian :) Let me explain something :)

With zoom you are anyway blind against enemy AI, which detects you from a long distance, through the grass and trees and able to engage you effectively, even if you using zoom  :D This is AI issue, not VTN :)

You don't seem to understand the point. With zoom player has at least something to counter AI's super detection ability. Anyways, there's no need to continue on that. If you stick to your guns, well, I can live with that :)  Cause as I've mentioned before, here's working fix that makes this mod less "veteranish" :biggrin:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xoervufibeay0e9/vtn%20zoom%20fix.7z?dl=0

Feel free to use everybody :D

• Like 1

I know that no one can restrict to make config patches but when you do that ask yourself - will developers be ok with it? You remove main feature of the mod. Don't think that posting such config patches in this thread make developers happy.

VTN team just will not support this "feature" :) And if something will changed in mod, then those config patches can be broken, like it happened with "TECAK addon" :)

You don't seem to understand the point. With zoom player has at least something to counter AI's super detection ability.

Belive me, AI is not so big problem for skilled players :) With zoom it will be too easy for them :) And besides... AI skills can be tweaked by mission makers and even in options menu :) And again - right now disabled zoom equalizes AI and players on "open ground". Issues with AI "rentgen vision" must be solved by BIS :D VTN team can't do anything with this.

I think everything doesn't render bit further if you can't zoom and object quality isn't on ultra? Could be a small issue with the no zoom when trying to snipe with iron sights or just observing the surroundings.

/i'm not really against the no zoom, I find it interesting. Just thinking.

VTN is played on russian TvT server. And all players must be in the same conditions not to get special benefits.

What's the problem of adding something like "userconfig" that will be overwritten by server?

You remove main feature of the mod.

If something is nonexistent in the game, it's not a feature.

At the end of the day this mod is called Veteran Mod for a reason, for veterans of the franchise whom wish to see a hard and authentic virtual combat environment that reflects some aspects of real world combat.

As ex-TL I can confirm that those who started this mod played since OFP topped with WGL 5.

What's the problem of adding something like "userconfig" that will be overwritten by server?

Doorway for cheaters.

"For veterans"... lold.

:rolleyes:

I like that it has no zoom ability. I Really do.

I do hate the fact that when I run VTN mod, my ArmA 3 is lagging a little. Yes, I need a better PC, but that is not optional for me. VTN has a bigger textures and high poly models which take more resources than A3 RHS Escalation. I do think that VTN could use some good optimization work. Because 2,1 GB download size for Weapons and Uniforms is too much. RHS AFRF with various vehicles weights 1,9GB download size. VTN does offer a very high quality models and texture but for A3 engine it's extra stress for without much improvement over, let say, RHS:AFRF. VTN needs optimization. 

I still play VTN mode from time to time, mainly because of handheld weapons. I like it, but I'm forced to play without VTN when comes to large scale battles.

Doorway for cheaters.

ACE3 has a high degree of customizability - isn't it possible with your mod? I would absolutely love to play with content from VTN (a-91 is absolutely lovely), but the features are what drives me away.

ACE3 has a high degree of customizability - isn't it possible with your mod? I would absolutely love to play with content from VTN (a-91 is absolutely lovely), but the features are what drives me away.

inb4 You are not able to customize features in real life and this mod is meant for ArmA series veterans.