Sign in to follow this  
noubernou

ACRE2 Public Beta Release

Thanks for finishing this up!

I have a question regarding the mission API applied for one of my mods:

In ZAM_showNames, the approximate loudness of a remote direct speaker from the local player's position is determined and represented as the color intensity of the name with the TFAR mod and also taking into account speaking mode (whisper, normal, shout). With ACRE I can't find a direct way of determining that using the mission maker API ( as in something like loudness(0 to 1) = [speaker, listener] call acre_api_fnc_loudness ). Is there any?

TFAR doesn't have anything like that though, so I had to create my own event handler and function for that. The EH runs on each speaker's machine, where it monitors if someone is speaking, then if someone is speaking read from the plugin (callextension) the person's speaking mode and do a public setVariable on that player defining the speak state. It also destroys that variable if the player isn't speaking anymore. Then with a function that works just like the above acre one, you can get the perceived loudness of the speaker to any listener (including AI), by factoring in distance, the inverse square law, speaking modes and some constants tweaked from trial and error to make it accurate (though not completely).

If ACRE doesn't do anything like this natively, then does this roughly look like a good way of doing it with ACRE as well (minus the callExtension)? Also if so, could you please provide some more info as to what the "ACRE_CURVE_MODEL_ORIGINAL" curve looks like (ideally the math function)?

Edited by Phoenix_ZA

Congrats Nou and team on yet another major achievement!

New mod v2.0.1.560 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@acre2.png

First of all Congrats to Nou and the team, great work.

Will be awesome to use this in the future.

found that an easy way to add the 148:s as zeus was just to put out an ammobox, and add the 148 from items, (quite alot of em to choose by but seemed to work with the one highest guessing that is the default one)

have a couple of questions tough:

1: Earlier in acre1 there was a way to save radios upon death/respawn, any plans of doing the same for this?

2: Does anyone know of any plans/compatability of st_acre for acre2? (would be awesome if nothing else if it could become a standard feature of acre2.)

once again thanks for an awesome addon

best regards

//Crazy

Any chances for frequency hopping and jamming in future?

Any chances for key fill devices?

Any chances for Harris radios?

I have some troubles with using it (cannot open radio GUI i tried those things before and still nothing) but it looks like a great mod. Keep moving forward bro :-)

I tried to search through all the topics, but forgive me if I missed it, are you going to add in Frequency customization or just stick with Channels, like A2 Acre was

Cool!

Can you provide an example of the "babel" feature? a short video or something, sounds really interesting. How about a feature demonstration video?

Congratz on the release nou!

While testing it today we noticed that when someone else talks on the radio your FPS drops down with 20 or so. FPS is fine if you are the one talking on the radio.

This also happens when you drop the radio on the ground on "INT AUDIO" mode and someone else talks on that channel.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this?

Can confirm. When is 148 set on INT AUDIO there is huge FPS drop. Happens on the ground and when someone has it equipped.

found that an easy way to add the 148:s as zeus was just to put out an ammobox, and add the 148 from items, (quite alot of em to choose by but seemed to work with the one highest guessing that is the default one)

While it is good that this works, be careful.

The only class names that should be used when adding radios to units are (for the time being) acre_prc343 and acre_prc148. Addition of radio items with classnames including an id suffix will cause problems, especially if the radio ID is already in use.

As the recent Arsenal and Zeus features both include scope 1 content in their lists, it is very easy to add these other radios by mistake.

I tried to search through all the topics, but forgive me if I missed it, are you going to add in Frequency customization or just stick with Channels, like A2 Acre was

ACRE 1 and ACRE 2 both support custom frequencies, the video Nou linked in the OP and the accompanying in use demonstration video both show this in ACRE 2.

Can you provide an example of the "babel" feature? a short video or something, sounds really interesting. How about a feature demonstration video?

I've personally been meaning to do this since it was introduced however, I'm both rather busy at the moment and easily distracted.

Regardless, I'm sure somebody better at such videos will beat me to the punch however, if they don't I'll see what I can do.

While testing it today we noticed that when someone else talks on the radio your FPS drops down with 20 or so. FPS is fine if you are the one talking on the radio.

This also happens when you drop the radio on the ground on "INT AUDIO" mode and someone else talks on that channel.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this?

As far as I know, this is a known issue and is a result of the various event handlers associated with receiving radio traffic (Nou can likely expand or correct me on this).

iirc: The observed FPS drop is proportional to the user's frame rate: Higher frame rates will suffer a greater drop than lower frame rates.

As an aside: It's also worth noting, that the 148's internal speaker will work fine whilst in your inventory as well as on the ground.

Edited by ToadBall

congrats for the release

is there a api command to check a specific frequency if there is anybody inside and returns all clients on this frequency?

Sorry for the noob-questions, but for someone that hasn't used ACRE in any form for _way_ too long, is anything needed file- or config wise on the TS server? Does channels need to be set up in a certain manner and so on?

Are there any limitations on channels vs. ingame ... as in will audio transmit across TS-channels if you are on the same freq.? How about direct chat/audio?

I couldn't find any docs regarding this, should I just read up on the ACRE1 docs regarding this perhaps? :)

Really looking forward to trying this out during the weekend. Cudoz on the release!

I won't comment on serverside setup as I've never personally had to deal with it, though I do know you do not need any special channels for ACRE to work.

However, no audio is transmitted between channels on teamspeak. Anyone who wishes to be heard by another person still has to be in the same channel as them, be they 1m away or 100m away.

If you have multiple game servers you will require an "in-game" channel per game server.

This applies both to direct audio and audio 'transmitted' by the radios.

Ah the time has finally come. I'm very glad this has been released, thanks for all your hard work NouberNou + others involved ;)

Does this mean I can just do this:

Me and my friends install acre 2 beta from pws

we all connect to the same channel on my teamspeak

it works in game

Is it really that simple?? :cool:

I waited 5 months for this? On the outside, it's obviously the same pictures and colors of the radios as I've stared at for 3 years, but on the inside, you've really changed everything. Now the 148 radio has a bunch of new fnc files and a lot of code has been rewritten. Without digging to deep into the files, I don't see the point of the changes other than that people using custom ACRE radios will have to catch up to your scripting without a documented API of the changes.

It doesn't matter if you've made a better API for making radios because I haven't seen any custom radios made for Arma 2 during the glorious ACRE days except for the Russians' custom mods and the SFP custom radios.

>But the reason people didn't make custom radios was because of the API.

No, people managed to make radios. I managed to cook together scripts to fix the 152 radio, you know the frequency menu that has been broken since forever?

During the time we were waiting for this release, we've been playing with ACRE from Arma 2 ported and with a small pbo fix to remove the scripting errors for vehicle racks and backpacks. It is depressing that the latest release is not far from what we've already been playing with.

Here's a changelog for you:

• Get more people
    There's more Arma players now than before. At least 1% of them should be able to write code.
  • Fix the frequency menu of the 152.
    No, seriously. All radios can change frequency except the Harris everyone wants to use.
  • Vehicle racks with speakers.
    I've heard it once to work, and then it broke.
  • More radios.
    I don't care if they are copypasted radios at the start, at least focus on giving the Opfor side and Resistence some other radio.
  • Double Duplex when?
    Like seriously, when?
  • Different frequencies for different factions/frequency scrambling/server side frequency config
    It's occupational habit to still remember 36.625, 37.775, 40.275, 42.675, 47.350.
  • Working ACRE API functions.
    Many of these does not work: http://tracker.idi-systems.com/projects/acre/wiki/Class_Names_and_API
    Either returns syntax errors or doesn't exist. acre_api_fnc_joinServer would really help. Also acre_api_fnc_getCurrentRadio.

I still remember: http://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/1zpj8n/so_just_a_bit_of_a_teaser/

Thanks for your hard work. I can't wait for new updates. Objectively: I can't wait.

What an ungrateful git. Oh but it is OK as you did thank Nou for all his hard work! :rolleyes:

Although I don't play with enough people to warrant using ACRE2, even I can see the effort that has gone into this. Grats on release Nou.

That wasnt a changelog really... lol I am confused :eek:

Like some sort of Q & A???

Congrats on The Release.

I was so looking forward to this. The radios and direct talk are such a pleasure to use once again.

Direct talk seems spot on and the levels inside vehicles to outside etc seems great.

So nice to have a sqwark back :)

Alas though we are Having a few Probs with VAS and Radio IDs I think.

This is from my client rpt when playing on a dedicated server thats using a version of VAS to supply the acre_prc343 and the acre_prc148.

369.949 ACRE Warning: Radio ID ACRE_PRC343_ID_1 was returned for a non-existent baseclass in inventory, possibly removed by a gear script while requesting ID
371 ACRE Warning: Radio ID ACRE_PRC148_ID_3 was returned for a non-existent baseclass in inventory, possibly removed by a gear script while requesting ID
371.002 ACRE Warning: Radio ID ACRE_PRC343_ID_4 was returned for a non-existent baseclass in inventory, possibly removed by a gear script while requesting ID
372.061 ACRE Warning: Radio ID ACRE_PRC148_ID_5 was returned for a non-existent baseclass in inventory, possibly removed by a gear script while requesting ID
372.062 ACRE Warning: Radio ID ACRE_PRC343_ID_7 was returned for a non-existent baseclass in inventory, possibly removed by a gear script while requesting ID
373.118 ACRE Warning: Radio ID ACRE_PRC148_ID_7 was returned for a non-existent baseclass in inventory, possibly removed by a gear script while requesting ID
373.119 ACRE Warning: Radio ID ACRE_PRC343_ID_8 was returned for a non-existent baseclass in inventory, possibly removed by a gear script while requesting ID

There are alot of lines that look like that, all the way upto ID_500 i think ?

I am unsure what this code means any enlightenment would be fantastic :)

So that I can fix it and get ACRE running on our server.

Once again congrats.

BL1P

Edited by BL1P

mh none of this keys working. There is no ingame hud and menus about acre. only acre is connected message, teamspeak message is:

ACRE2:Version: 2.0.1.560

Arma Connected: Yes

ARMA3 and Steam are both in newest version and everything looks fine but the keys dont work ingame. resetting to default arma3 keybinds has no effect. Userconfig\acre2 is there in game folder.

whats wrong why i cant press any key ? are there radio boxes too ?

Just going to repost my old question, the anger post guy came right after and overshadowed it:

Does this mean I can just do this:

Me and my friends install acre 2 beta from pws

we all connect to the same channel on my teamspeak

it works in game

Is it really that simple??

though we are Having a few Probs with VAS and Radio IDs I think.

Hi BLIP, never save radio in VAS profile.

A unique ID is given to the player when you take a radio, this ID should be unique so dont load VAS profile with saved ACRE otherwise players could have same ID.

Thank you to the whole team and testers/contributors for a great release of an awesome project. :D

Hi BLIP, never save radio in VAS profile.

A unique ID is given to the player when you take a radio, this ID should be unique so dont load VAS profile with saved ACRE otherwise players could have same ID.

Salut Lynx75,

Hmm VAS for us was working with ACRE but isn't working with ACRE2 now.

The only problems we had with the VAS we are using and the previous ACRE was that you could not send someone a loadout with acre in it as you would both end up with same IDs.

For us VAS and ACRE has worked fine with that one exception mentioned above.

annoying 4-year old babble

Why don't you contribute then if all the hard work put into this mod upsets you so much?

@BL1P - you could try the old 'drop radio on ground and pick it up again' trick that might work....

Nice One Nou !!

Not sure about TS v 16 mind you Fuggggly

But Acre 2 - whoot !