Sign in to follow this  
pettka

Weapon sounds affected by suppressors change in 1.23

Copy that. As you said, rather easy, but takes some time :)

I'm working on one of the "forces packs" so there is a lot of configs to go over.

This change destroys some (or all?) user made weapons as I've experienced with my beloved Shotgun addon (made by somebody else).

Anyway and btw, A3 should have it's own vanilla shotgun with attachable flashlight and optics.

JSRS 2.1 is now pretty much stuffed. In first person mode each shot is 90% receiver noise and 10% actual gunshot noise. And this wonderful mod is no longer being developed. Sob...

This change destroys some (or all?) user made weapons as I've experienced with my beloved Shotgun addon (made by somebody else).

Anyway and btw, A3 should have it's own vanilla shotgun with attachable flashlight and optics.

It destroys all custom weapons which defines their own sounds, no matter if it's a custom sound or if it's a vanilla sound. If they innherit sounds from vanilla weapons then they should be fine.

Gonna ruin a lot of mods ( JSRS for a start ), but honestly it's for the greater good. If the said mods aren't updated anymore by their respective authors, well, they somewhat deserve to die unless someone else is updating them.

All in all i rather have these changes instead of plain stagnation.

Gonna ruin a lot of mods ( JSRS for a start ), but honestly it's for the greater good. If the said mods aren't updated anymore by their respective authors, well, they somewhat deserve to die unless someone else is updating them.

All in all i rather have these changes instead of plain stagnation.

Speed of Sound is on muddy waters too. I really fear having to play with vanilla sounds.

Speed of Sound is on muddy waters too. I really fear having to play with vanilla sounds.

It's not that bad. I have JSRS installed but often play without it for several reasons.

Hmm, one of my addons is broken since the last update. But from what I have seen those changes do not affect grenades right?

Edit: In facts it seems to be a problem with my tools (both arma 3 ones and community made, lucky me ;)), nothing to do with the changes in weapons config.

Edited by super-truite

You should try playing without your sound mods every once and a while. The samples won't be exactly the same, but vanilla sound actually sounds far better than it used to. I played with JSRS for the longest time, and then I disabled it. Vanilla sounds are just as good imo.

Unfortunately lots of people are bitching about this update. BI finally does something to improve the sound system (much-requested), and everyone explodes because all their mod weapons don't work. It's pretty annoying. Vanilla guns are great why would you want modded guns anyways :P

You should try playing without your sound mods every once and a while. The samples won't be exactly the same, but vanilla sound actually sounds far better than it used to. I played with JSRS for the longest time, and then I disabled it. Vanilla sounds are just as good imo.

Unfortunately lots of people are bitching about this update. BI finally does something to improve the sound system (much-requested), and everyone explodes because all their mod weapons don't work. It's pretty annoying. Vanilla guns are great why would you want modded guns anyways :P

I know. I usually mod the game as little as possible. A sound mod and ASR_AI are the only ones that I'm using in A3. My expression "I really fear having to play with vanilla sounds." was exagerated, and unfair to BIS this time.

I know. I usually mod the game as little as possible. A sound mod and ASR_AI are the only ones that I'm using in A3. My expression "I really fear having to play with vanilla sounds." was exagerated, and unfair to BIS this time.

Yeah, I took off all the mods I used to play with and found that I gained 20 fps from doing so. It just goes to show that BI really needs to make sure that their game is good *without* mods as well as with. And frankly, I think they are going in the right direction with all the new updates to fatigue, weapon sounds, etc.

Are there any vehicle-specific sound update guidelines? I tried updating one of my beloved addons, just to test the whole thing, adapting example from biki for the vehicle realms, but I still hear silence instead of .50 cal rattle.

EDIT:

Nevermind, found the issue, forgot to set weaponSoundEffect variable in the sound index class

Edited by Erem2k
Problem resolved

With vehicle weapons you just add the class BaseSoundModeType and class StandardSound bit to your weapon's firemodes - or just merge the class BaseSoundModeType definitons for weaponSoundEffect and any required closure sounds etc. into class StandardSound, since you only really need one class on vehicles.

As such, you also only need a single index in the sounds[] array for vehicle weapons:

sounds[] = {StandardSound};

All the SilencedSound and soundTypeIndex stuff mentioned on the wiki is unnecessary on vehicle weapons because they can't be fitted with muzzle attachments anyway, so no need for additional indexes.

For example, the main gun on the M2 Slammer is configured like this:

class cannon_120mm: CannonCore
{
	scope = 1;
	displayName = "Cannon 120***mm";
	cursor = "EmptyCursor";
	cursorAim = "cannon";
	nameSound = "cannon";
	reloadSound[] = {"A3\sounds_f\vehicles\armor\noises\reload_tank_cannon_3",3.16228,1,10};
	magazines[] = {"32Rnd_120mm_APFSDS_shells","32Rnd_120mm_APFSDS_shells_Tracer_Red","32Rnd_120mm_APFSDS_shells_Tracer_Green","32Rnd_120mm_APFSDS_shells_Tracer_Yellow","30Rnd_120mm_APFSDS_shells","30Rnd_120mm_APFSDS_shells_Tracer_Red","30Rnd_120mm_APFSDS_shells_Tracer_Green","30Rnd_120mm_APFSDS_shells_Tracer_Yellow","30Rnd_120mm_HE_shells","30Rnd_120mm_HE_shells_Tracer_Red","30Rnd_120mm_HE_shells_Tracer_Green","30Rnd_120mm_HE_shells_Tracer_Yellow","16Rnd_120mm_HE_shells","16Rnd_120mm_HE_shells_Tracer_Red","16Rnd_120mm_HE_shells_Tracer_Green","16Rnd_120mm_HE_shells_Tracer_Yellow"};
	minRange = 5;
	minRangeProbab = 0.7;
	midRange = 1200;
	midRangeProbab = 0.7;
	maxRange = 2500;
	maxRangeProbab = 0.1;
	reloadTime = 6;
	magazineReloadTime = 6;
	autoReload = 1;
	ballisticsComputer = 1;
	canLock = 2;
	autoFire = 0;
	modes[] = {"player","close","short","medium","far"};
	class GunParticles
	{
		class FirstEffect
		{
			effectName = "CannonFired";
			positionName = "Usti hlavne";
			directionName = "Konec hlavne";
		};
	};
	class player: Mode_SemiAuto
	{
		sounds[] = {"StandardSound"};
		class StandardSound
		{
			begin1[] = {"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\Cannons\cannon_1",3.16228,1,1500};
			soundBegin[] = {"begin1",1};
			weaponSoundEffect = "DefaultRifle";
		};
		soundContinuous = 0;
		reloadTime = 6;
		magazineReloadTime = 6;
		autoReload = 1;
		ballisticsComputer = 1;
		canLock = 2;
		autoFire = 0;
		dispersion = 0.00025;
	};
	class close: player
	{
		showToPlayer = 0;
		aiRateOfFire = 6;
		aiRateOfFireDistance = 50;
		minRange = 0;
		minRangeProbab = 0.35;
		midRange = 500;
		midRangeProbab = 0.78;
		maxRange = 1000;
		maxRangeProbab = 0.04;
		aiDispersionCoefX = 6;
		aiDispersionCoefY = 6;
	};
	class short: close
	{
		aiRateOfFire = 10;
		aiRateOfFireDistance = 300;
		minRange = 500;
		minRangeProbab = 0.05;
		midRange = 1000;
		midRangeProbab = 0.58;
		maxRange = 1500;
		maxRangeProbab = 0.04;
	};
	class medium: short
	{
		aiRateOfFire = 15;
		aiRateOfFireDistance = 600;
		minRange = 1000;
		minRangeProbab = 0.05;
		midRange = 1500;
		midRangeProbab = 0.58;
		maxRange = 2000;
		maxRangeProbab = 0.04;
	};
	class far: medium
	{
		aiRateOfFire = 20;
		aiRateOfFireDistance = 1000;
		minRange = 1500;
		minRangeProbab = 0.05;
		midRange = 2500;
		midRangeProbab = 0.4;
		maxRange = 3000;
		maxRangeProbab = 0.01;
	};
};

Pay attention to the class player firemode where the sounds are defined.

Ed:- seems like you solved it while I was writing this post. I suppose it might be useful to other people configuring vehicle weapons though.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Hmm, any idea where examples of unguided rocket pods system can be found (like on Neophron, Kajman etc.)? I got really lost while trying to configure unguided rocket launch and flight sounds

Edited by Erem2k
Crossposted, ignore

Well I can see you all just as proud of yourselves as a new daddy..and patting yourselves on the back,,,But i'm here to tell you of at least 5 members of my group are tired of this with no fix insite they have shelved ArmA3!!! ..it's got to cumbersome to just play ArmA3 the have walked away! ..So you broke the sounds for the better you say...God bless America.....you expect everyone to have all the time in the world to be able to keep up with long drawn out fix's...horray for you...like I said "God Bless America"..

Boo freaking hoo

The only complaints I ever see about this on the forums are from a bunch of players who've never touched a config.cpp in their life, crying like little children whose favourite toy ran out of batteries and their mum's too busy to go to the store and get new ones right away. It must be so damn hard for you all to sit there patiently while someone else does the hard work of fixing their shit for you.

Get a grip.

I've not seen a single addon maker have a genuine gripe with BIS adding this new system, even though they are the ones who's work got broke in the first place and have to take their time out to read up and understand how to make these changes, open up the config files, edit them and republish the addon for the benefit of the community. And in the meantime they time they put up with a bunch of self-serving people like you nagging them to make the change, without even reading the damn thread first. Seriously, go read how many times people drop in with a "sounds don't work", type post AFTER the author posts that they're already working on fixing it, some even do it after the author has published the damn fix - but noooooo reading is too hard for the impatient and butt-frustrated who only care about me, me, me...

To be honest I'm happy if these sort of big changes get rid of a few of the more childish members of the player base who can't wait a few fucking days for an addon to be updated. Means fewer people giving grief to the sort of people I respect in this community.

Figured you chime with that! I suppose you don't like me because I don't do DOS either.....But your the MAN..I'm just a user... I have no right to open pandoras box.... and post a view that may not mesh with yours exactly...and yes it's still broken! Self-serving! Yea..I'm serving myself with some facts, You expect / ASSUME...that anyone trying to keep up, Should have to be totally and full on long term committed to ArmA3 with an indepth understanding of a "Config.cpp" and a and all the WAA-WAA crap thats files into it! YOU GET A "grip" BUDDY! Do you know me? You just think you know me...People like you are killing off the whole idea of the forum.....ya gotta shove your boot right up sombodys ass just because you think your the man...get a "GRIP" yourself!! AND to be honest...Ahhem.....I think you need to get away from the PC for awhile..it's affecting your abilities...respect is earned. You lost any that I might have had with you previous, to your Knee jerk response......... amonkey

Shake the tree and see what kind of nut falls out!

No, he's right. This entire forum and feedback tracker are now spammed by people who don't follow the forums or anything, complaining about how their "sound is broken." They don't even mention that they have mods.

If you are going to play a game like Arma, you need to be willing to take the extra step to understand the game better. It's not BF or CoD where you can just sit down and expect it to work without any effort on your part. There are so many selfish posts saying how "arma is a shit game" and "BI is a shit company" just because their favorite mod broke and they were too irresponsible to read the news on the forums every so often, or because they can no longer sprint while carrying a Zafir, Titan MPRL, and a carryall full of ammunition without becoming tired.

I am genuinely thrilled to see BI finally taking the initiative to make some larger changes to the game. The only downside to this is that all the people who play Altis Life and Wasteland bitch about it because they want the game to be exactly how they want it to be, and don't care about improving the game for the better of the community.

Mojeaux, you talk about earning respect. That starts with writing readable texts with proper punctuation, abstaining from foul language etc. If you don't want to be treated as a crotchety child, then don't write like one.

TBH I wish BIS were more willing to break shit in order to improve it. This was a good change that essentially meant that muzzle mods can be more than just suppressors now

Hi

I am working through my first weapon export and the weapon has no muzzle flash. It does have some smoke puffs at the muzzle and the bullet appears to spawn too. Is that issue related to this?

config.cpp

/*
Thompson M1921
created by cat
*/

//#include "basicdefines_A3.hpp"
class CfgPatches
{
class cat_thompson1921
{
	units[]={};
	weapons[]={"cat_thompson1921_stick"};
	requiredVersion=0.1;
	requiredAddons[]={"A3_Weapons_F"};
};
};
/// All firemodes, to be sure

class Mode_SemiAuto;
class Mode_Burst;
class Mode_FullAuto;

class CfgWeapons
{

//Inheritance

class Default {};	
class RifleCore: Default {};
class Rifle: RifleCore {};

class Rifle_Base_F: Rifle
{
	class WeaponSlotsInfo;
	class GunParticles;
};	

class SMG_01_Base: Rifle_Base_F {};
class SMG_01_F: SMG_01_Base {};

class CAT_thompson1921_stick: SMG_01_F
{
	descriptionshort = "Submachine Gun<br />Caliber: .45 ACP";
	dexterity = 100;
	displayname = "Thompson M1921 (20Rnd Stick)";
	model = "cat_thompson\p3d\cat_thompson_stick.p3d";
	picture = "\A3\Weapons_F_beta\Smgs\SMG_01\data\UI\gear_SMG_01_X_CA.paa";
	scope = 2;
	uipicture = "\A3\Weapons_F\data\UI\icon_regular_CA.paa";
	handanim[] = {"OFP2_ManSkeleton", "cat_thompson\anim\cat1.rtm"};
	memorypointcamera = "eye";
	modelOptics = "-";
	reloadaction = "";

modes[] = {"Single", "FullAuto"};
	// Size of recoil sway of the cursor
	maxRecoilSway=0.0125;
       // Speed at which the recoil sway goes back to zero (from maxRecoilSway to 0 in 1/swayDecaySpeed seconds)
       swayDecaySpeed=1.25;	
	magazineReloadTime=5;

class Library 
	{
		libtextdesc = "$str_a3_cfgweapons_hgun_smg_01_library0";
	};

class Single: Mode_SemiAuto
		{			
		reloadtime = 0.085;
			sounds[] = {StandardSound, SilencedSound};

class BaseSoundModeType /// I am too lazy to copy this twice into both standard and silenced sounds, that is why there is a base class from which both inherit (and sound of closure stays the same no matter what muzzle accessory is used)
			{
				weaponSoundEffect  = "DefaultRifle";

closure1[]={"A3\sounds_f\weapons\closure\closure_rifle_2", db-12, 1,10};
				closure2[]={"A3\sounds_f\weapons\closure\closure_rifle_3", db-12, 1,10};
				soundClosure[]={closure1,0.5, closure2,0.5};
			};

class StandardSound: BaseSoundModeType /// Sounds inside this class are used when soundTypeIndex = 0, according to sounds[]
			{
				begin1[]={"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\SMG_02\SMG_02_st_1b", db0, 1,500};
				begin2[]={"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\SMG_02\SMG_02_st_2b", db0, 1,500};
				begin3[]={"A3\Sounds_F\weapons\SMG_02\SMG_02_st_3b", db0, 1,500};
				soundBegin[]={begin1,0.33, begin2,0.33, begin3,0.34};
			};

class SilencedSound: BaseSoundModeType /// Sounds inside this class are used when soundTypeIndex = 1, according to sounds[]
			{
				begin1[]={"A3\sounds_f\weapons\silenced\silent-07", db-1, 1,200};
				begin2[]={"A3\sounds_f\weapons\silenced\silent-08", db-1, 1,200};
				soundBegin[]={begin1,0.5, begin2,0.5};
			};
			/// various other fire mode parameters
		};

};	

};
//