sic-disaster

Looking to team up to create a death scream mod.

I found these sounds in the Arma 3 vanilla files. Just as a proof of concept, here's a video with them in action.

Awesome! And no licensing issues!

DOWNLOAD

There we go, a very first, very basic version. SiC-Disaster sent me some samples which I used.

I'm currently very busy with own projects and other private stuff so my time to test and try out stuff is rather rare, so I'd like to point a few things out which will help me to finish that thing faster.

• MP-compatibility is not yet tested, a bit unsure about if the XEH killed eventhandler is executed global or not, this leads us to...

• ...in case it works in MP, each player WILL hear a different sound. This is very easy to fix, but I need a confirmation if it works in MP or not.

• Due to me being a bit busy, I won't be able to find decent sounds/samples myself, so if you got anything for different languages, just send it over. (WAV would be appreciated, chopping out of Videos takes a bit of times)

• The unit won't move it's mouth (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not possible on dead bodies AFAIK

• Yes, an integration of the headshot and different factions feature is possible and easy, but I need the samples for it. :)

So, have fun with your mod in it's current state, I'll continue as soon as someone tells me how it behaves in MP and I get more samples.

L.

This max the game so much more enjoyable. I hope you will make a full mod so that it makes the war feel more brutal :coop:

I found these sounds in the Arma 3 vanilla files. Just as a proof of concept, here's a video with them in action.

Hey nice find! Been also using LAxeman's one for the time being and although there somewhat over the top and volume a little too loud - does up the immersion factor. Was playing WLA when this enemy apc was stalking me and my squad for what seemed like an hour real life time as we literally would just crawl from foliage to cover when it finally went up a hill I had #2 planted on - alls I heard was treads, firing...and then his screams. Gotta say it really worked on me :)

Here's a 2nd test which adds ambient town sound effects. This is just using some of the stock sound effects from A3MP.

can you tell us where in arma 3 you foudn those screams? they are great

Also nice would be scared civilian screams (male and female) as they go prone or run away when guns are fired :)

can you tell us where in arma 3 you foudn those screams? they are great

Sure, they're in:

sounds_f > characters > human-sfx > POx (x being from 1 to 6)

The Arabian market SFX were from A3MP:

a3mp_sound2_data > sfx

Also nice would be scared civilian screams (male and female) as they go prone or run away when guns are fired :)

Great minds think alike :)

I have to ask if anyone has made any head way on this or should i just try to patch in the arma 3 scrams myself??

I use the "experimental" version Laxeman did some pages back... can´t play without! (it has at least 4 to 5 diferent and random screams... they inspire pitty sometimes ;)

Screams when they get hit would be more realistic. When some one is shot and killed, they don't scream. They fall like a sack of potatoes.

Screams when they get hit would be more realistic.

That's the case. It's about screams of deadly wounded people, that not died yet. Thus, for example, IIRC no screams for headshots (assumed instant death). From the other hand, if unit is wounded, but not killed by the hit in Arma it can still operate and fight even if wound is sewere, like in Hollywood action movies. Making that unit screaming in the same time like that, as you suggest, would be completely surrealistic. More realistc would be that way if paired with strong impairing majority of seriously wounded units ability to do anything else than lying on the groung and reacting on paralyzing pain (camera shakes? Visual post porcess? Forced animation?). But this means serious risk of interferences with various "medical realism" mods. And maybe not so popular amongst the players used to current wound consequences, not willing to be excluded from gameplay into passive, screaming horribly spectator with poor, shaking and blurred point of view, which is boring (lying) and tiring (screaming all the time) by most of taken hits.

if its ok with everyone here i would like to try to implement this into Grouplink 5?? As it already has the "hit" event handler, i should just have to add it in with an If() then{}, and obviously the sound cfg's.

Lordprimate why you dont help SIC-Disaster and Laxemann to make this a standalone mod ?

After that you can implement it anyway. Or i forget about something ?

In my opinion this it was arma lacking in ambient sounds, death screams, in sounds overall. To get more immersion and scary times in some firefights.

Hope Laxemann dont forget this project, liked his addition with sound reverbs cant play arma without this anymore.

Waiting for this, hope all your ideas flow into this mod.

Tried LAxemann-s demo version and it works already bringing some emotion - remorse into the game. Just change the samples to shorter non-speech type.

God damn this mod is awesome, someone needs to bring it back. That being said, there should be moments where no death screams play as well. Sometimes people do die instantly.

I actually just helped out the thread starter because he wanted it, I'm no fan of death screams or so since it's not really realistic.

If you're severely injured and close to dying, the last thing you would do is scream.

Plus, I mainly play in organized multiplayer events and the screams are done by the people that like to roleplay, haha :D

But as for my part, I did it in 5 minutes or so, so everybody is free to do with it whatever he/she wants. Just keep in mind that the sounds aren't my property :)

I think, what's the very core of this idea is to simulate dying as it looks in fact (in RL). An agony simulator, that, if created, should be done as close to reality, as possible, to induce some moral response each time I'm going to pull the trigger. It's kinda on the edge, because it's about turning a game, what implies a fun as a goal, into something else, where fun is no longer a goal (or, to name some concers by name, it shouldn't be used for fun), more an educational (of psychological kind) tool for mature people. The more controversial, to make it good, author has to actually learn, how dying looks like. Serious decision, if such thing should be done.

...or indeed, stay low with just screams/whispers/whatever added with some delay to part of non-headshot kills. Scripting part would be probably relatively simple. Main challenge is to get sound samples.

Edited by Rydygier