Sign in to follow this  
FredAirland

Arma 3 Helicopters DLC Discussion (dev branch)

I know its minor but since the heli DLC is inbound this should be fixed: Clock in Ka-60 is mirrored

Another small but nice feature would be to enable the same pedal animations in helicopters as in karts

I hope they can implement the animation of the pedals and the throttle. It can help better control the rpm and see if you can visually control the throttle and pedals

It is already like this in TKOH, so it should not be a problem to do the same in Arma 3.

I am very impressed with the lengths the devs went with on rotorlib...I was expecting one or maybe two features, not quite the whole kit.

Needless to say the execution is done superbly well and I cannot express how happy I truly am to see this added and in such a way that it doesn't alienate people who like simple and advanced.

Yep, we only need clickable cockpit pretty much. Maybe Vortex Ring could be implemented via simple script?

Just got done with a good session with the flight model a while ago. Made me sweat at some points. Some really good stuff though. If you're not too new to flying helis in A3 without the new mechanics, it's pretty easy to pick them up. You just have to keep your eyes and ears open. Try taking off, recover from and landing with a busted tail rotor too. You'll feel hard as nails haha.

experienced a bug and resulting crash when diving real steep, symptoms: first spazzing out, then extreme loud sound [first time i had headphones on... felt like it busted my ears]

I suggest you people avoid diving real steep from high altitude. Here's one reproduced crash, it didnt spazz out the same as the first time and the deffening sound was much shorter.

WARNING: REDUCE YOUR VOLUME, loud sound

tested with arma3diag.exe

rpt crash part

If you did that in a real helicopter, you'd have a similarly bad day. I fail to see a problem. ;)

experienced a bug and resulting crash when diving real steep, symptoms: first spazzing out, then extreme loud sound [first time i had headphones on... felt like it busted my ears]

I suggest you people avoid diving real steep from high altitude. Here's one reproduced crash, it didnt spazz out the same as the first time and the deffening sound was much shorter.

WARNING: REDUCE YOUR VOLUME, loud sound

tested with arma3diag.exe

rpt crash part

That video is exciting you just experienced retreating blade stall due to passing VNe or velocity never exceed. Nicely done Bohemia!

That video is exciting you just experienced retreating blade stall due to passing VNe or velocity never exceed. Nicely done Bohemia!

He didn't. The moment the loud sound and instacrash-teleport to seafloor happens, that's the bug that can happen to you by just turning on the engine on the ground. Happened to me by just turning on the engine of the Kajman. Scared me shitless. Then I restarted and it didn't do that.

It's obvious that he's a kilometer up in the air over ground and then in the next millisecond he's somewhere in the water (probably at [0,0,0]) with an error on his screen.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I also had this error multiple times with the Kajman. One time I reached 9999m altitude and 9999km/h after turning on the engine and then the game crashed.

I am loving this. It's all very sensitive to control but the feeling that you have is awesome. This is just the right amount of helicopter sim for me.

Trying to land on flat roofs and other structures. I explode on contact. Anyone got a different experience?

Edited by vicx
Added Question

I am loving this. It's all very sensitive to control but the feeling that you have is awesome. This is just the right amount of helicopter sim for me.

In it's current state, I would not call it a sim, but it's a huge step up from what we had before.

Yeah I think it was too early and I think I spoke with sheer enthusiasm just because it's finally arrived. As I spend time with it, I am finding wrinkles with the A3 helis which of course a WIP. Still I don't even mind if the BIS helis never quite get there because this is something that modders can rip into and I know they won't stop :)

Does anyone else find that it feels weird seeing the rotors start up relatively fast, compared to the now slowly growing sound of the helicopter starting when the engine is turned on? It makes me feel like my volume is too low.

That's only because they don't have the start up process added, like in TOH you would start slow, and then apply the proper engine full, and it would start up.

Trying to land on flat roofs and other structures. I explode on contact. Anyone got a different experience?

Same. Well, I've been flying mostly the Ghosthawk, trying to learn how to land and deliver the troops from A to B safely with the new FM.

Very difficult, as it explodes veeery easily now. A slight touch or mildly rough landing and instant BOOM and everybody dead. (And Yes, I do remember to get the landing gears down.)

Otherwise I do like this FM very much, flying with helos was fun before, but now you have to concentrate more on what you are doing to keep things under control, making it somehow more satisfying. Not going back to "old" FM for sure.

If you mess up with landing at low altitudes and speed, it's ok that you'll break something and injure yourself,.. but exploding to pieces is too much. Taxiing very slow and Ghosthawk nose touching a wall ...KABLAAM!. Hilarious. But I'm sure this will be fixed.

Shit, that sound has a potential to make somebody a serious hearing problems. BIS should fix this sound issue with a maximum priority. I am not kidding. This is dangerous.

BIS, you should put a much more agressive brick-wall limiter in your dev branches. I mean it.

As an audio-design guy, I would be very pissed if this bug happened to me while using headphones...

This issue is relevant to helicopters and would be nice to see fixed in the next update. It seems easy enough to fix (based on the error, unfortunately I can't track down anywhere to see the scripting behind the action - I assume it works engine side). Edited by SilentSpike

If you did that in a real helicopter, you'd have a similarly bad day. I fail to see a problem. ;)

yes it would crash the helicopter in reality, but it wouldnt crash reality. A game crash is verboten, as is the horrific sound accopmanied by it. It was just a situation where i could reproduce this bug at least once. The first time i experienced it, the helicopter spun wildly around all axis while beeing suspended in the air and without loosing alt. I dont think that happens on a real helicopter :rolleyes:

CTD soon as placing any chopper in BIS ZEUS missions on dedicated server, with rotorlib enabled in settings.

Easy to replicate, just start any BIS zeus mission, place any chopper, and immediate client CTD.

yes it would crash the helicopter in reality, but it wouldnt crash reality.

It might as well crash reality, for all you're concerned. ;)

I agree though, it should be fixed.

I think he might be talking about a game engine crash? He experienced a bug, and the video cuts out right after that.

Bit confusing so I see the misunderstanding :p

---------- Post added at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was at 00:18 ----------

Depending on what you use to control with, you need to adjust sensitivity. The helicopters are generally more responsive now (rudders are WAY more responsive, you can really spin those choppers around if you want to) so you need to turn the sensitivity down a lot. I use a 360 controller at the moment, saving up for a full flight set up, and it works great with my deadzones set right and my sensitivity at about half of the default values.

I agree on the exploding on contact. It seems anytime anything but the gear touches, you're dead so that may have something to do with it, although without a good way to replay what happened it's hard to know unless you really do some third person/multiplayer testing.

It's odd, in some ways landing is much more forgiving, and in some it's just weird. lol

Thank you BI for the HUD Gauges in the new rotorlib. :)

That's only because they don't have the start up process added, like in TOH you would start slow, and then apply the proper engine full, and it would start up.

I hoe they add the TOH startup process which will require the addition of a throttle for helicopters in the controls config section. Same for APU's

I kind of feel like this thread needs to be closed. There's an existing thread that devs seem to want people to use to discuss the FDM. Unless this has a very different purpose, in which case I feel the thread title needs to be clearer.