Sign in to follow this  
FredAirland

Arma 3 Helicopters DLC Discussion (dev branch)

I kind of feel like this thread needs to be closed. There's an existing thread that devs seem to want people to use to discuss the FDM. Unless this has a very different purpose, in which case I feel the thread title needs to be clearer.

This is about the upcoming DLC as a whole, not just the flight model, once we get our hands on it, this thread is very relevant.

Fixed: Helicopter should be less prone to explode when landing; added main rotor collision

This helped a lot, but i think it is still blow up quite often.

As i see(youtube) the explosion should depend on the speed+deceleration of the vehicle rather on actual speed of the vehicle.

E.g: Slide on the ground with high speed but low deceleration should not explode. Flight into the building whit high speed should explode aka "Ka-boom".

As i see (youtube) the explosion should depend on the speed+deceleration of the vehicle rather on actual speed of the vehicle.

The word you're looking for is impulse :)

Just a quick question or 2, I'm not all caught up on everything but can someone explain to me 2 things.

1. What is sling loading?

2. The firing from vehicles thing, is that going to be solely for helicopters or all vehicles? (If anyone knows)

Just a quick question or 2, I'm not all caught up on everything but can someone explain to me 2 things.

1. What is sling loading?

2. The firing from vehicles thing, is that going to be solely for helicopters or all vehicles? (If anyone knows)

1. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sling+loading

2. it has so far been confirmed for the mh-9 and the offroad.

Ehem. Whoops. Forgot Google existed for a second.

Also, got an links to the confirmation for the offroad?

It was a reply tweet from the official arma 3 twitter account. i'll have to go looking for it.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/Arma3official/status/496992802178605056

and also https://twitter.com/Arma3official/status/486046128455315456

Edited by JHard

I don't know about you guys but I could really use an engine and rotor rpm gauge.

Why? The audible feedback should be enough.

If you don't know what you're hearing... you don't know what to listen for.

wait why are we discussing current gameplay in the DLC thread.

Not sure if anyone brought this up yet, but here we go:

Bohemia, would you mind giving us a helicopter for the civilian faction? I would not mind just a reskin of one of the existing helicopters, but something like a Bell 206 would be awesome.

How do i turn on the variometer? I'm running Dev Branch. I looked through all the controls for the key, but cant find. Should it automatically activate when i get in a heli?

thank

There's no key. You have to go into gameplay options menu and activate it there.

Figures, I looked for an hour or so before I posted. Then I found it. It was under Configure > Game > General Tab > Helicopter Flight Model = Advanced

I really would like to see an MD 902 Explorer for the civilian faction, with the awesome and future-like NOTAR system (no tail rotor)

I really would like to see an MD 902 Explorer for the civilian faction, with the awesome and future-like NOTAR system (no tail rotor)

That's freaking awesome! I love McDD! There is a tail rotor-like fan housed in the rear of the fuselage near the base of the tail boom. It generates and pushes air out of the tail's vented tip which can be directed for heading, but uses the Coanda effect for stability on straight headings as well as with hover states. It's basically a big air foil inside the boom.

I will give You 3 reasons:

1. Ever had an engine failure? Engine tach goes to 0 you immediately autorotate.

2. Ever descended so fast you overspeed the rotor? When the red light comes on it's already too late.

3. Ever takin off with a heavy load in a little bird. Engine rpm lowers to the point of stalling then everyone dies.

On the 3rd reason BH will you please add a low rpm warning horn along with the light??

That's freaking awesome! I love McDD! There is a tail rotor-like fan housed in the rear of the fuselage near the base of the tail boom. It generates and pushes air out of the tail's vented tip which can be directed for heading, but uses the Coanda effect for stability on straight headings as well as with hover states. It's basically a big air foil inside the boom.

NOTAR is a horrible invention.

No longer being able to push villains into tail rotors, I'm gonna miss it.

That specific chopper would be nice for civilians though.

Like Henry Rollins said, some warning sounds would be nice, audible to the entire crew of the chopper of course, so everyone knows they're in trouble.

Such bad news fastrope is not planned...

One of the feature community expected most...

One of the feature community expected most...

I was under the impression that fast rope was planned, but a look at the roadmap didn't turn up anything

I'd be surprised if it wasn't implemented though, because we're already getting rope physics (for slingloading), so it shouldn't be very hard for BI to add

On the Twitter it has been said no fastrope.

Fast rope has been confirmed not on the main planned list of things. But i can guarantee that either in the future it will be done either by BI, or our modders, but not as a mod, but rather a simple script you can use on any server.

On the Twitter it has been said no fastrope.

[bUTTHURT INTENSIFIES] Seriously though, reading this was like watching a puppy getting kicked.

Fast rope has been confirmed not on the main planned list of things. But i can guarantee that either in the future it will be done either by BI, or our modders, but not as a mod, but rather a simple script you can use on any server.

A mod variant would be nice to have though for Zeus scenarios. I'm thinking BIS probably put fast roping on hold in hopes to pump out the new FM, slung cargo and firing from vehicles early.