Dwarden

Arma 3 STABLE Server 2.16 "profiling / performance binary" feedback

Got problem as someone reported before , desync, vehicles blowing up after a drive ( and people on it saw one that Im stucked another one that Im moving in one direction and me into another ) , people desync ( position different and someone didnt see vehicles moved but see them at the old positions) and other little problems like that .. Perf 1 here and before that ( 1.16 last perf7 ) was all ok with same mission

hey - is your mission using setpos and/or setposatl on the vehicles? my research is pointing at them as potential culprits.

I didnt made the mission but I think 99% yes , will check later

hey - is your mission using setpos and/or setposatl on the vehicles? my research is pointing at them as potential culprits.

Mine is and it's happening at complete random and only on servers in excess of 30 people. I've tried to repro, but given the random nature of missions, it's been next to impossible to pin down.

My server is a clan only so about 20 ppl max, only approved mod with double signature and arma3sync so no old mod but all updated and also battleye disabled. Yes mission was using setpos

Mine is and it's happening at complete random and only on servers in excess of 30 people. I've tried to repro, but given the random nature of missions, it's been next to impossible to pin down.

I see the bug with only 2 players :) I've tried a repro too, but it's an unreliable bug (it always happens, just not sure how to force it to happen)

@kord,

In fact this bug appears when, 2 client are very far. If you use setpos to teleport near your friend, you will find the vehicle used by the other client at the position it was at least 10 20 seconds before.

(the vehicle must be empty). The other player will see it where he get out from the vehicle, and you will see it at the other position.

If the player get in the vehicle and move it, you will see it at the right position.

For me it's not a bug, but an optimization of network exchange introduce by bis depending on, how far you are from the other client.

For me the bug is no refresh if you are near the objector when the vehicle is tranfered local from client to server.

the setpos is sometimes not send thru network to other client too. (Saw with btc revive when a player is kill)

But maybe i'm wrong.

Sorry for my poor english

Edited by Mariodu62

may I ask which setPos* commands you suspect as broken ?

setpos, setposatl

not sure if any others

Also confirmed on my servers. re spotty VON and vehicle de-sync.

Hard to isolate for repro since devs tend to attempt repro by themselves or with 1-2 others and for a very short duration, and thus miss things that pop out under high server loading. One need only to join a populated server to confirm what people in this thread are saying.

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

i would like to see some ArRma 3 Feedback tracker ticket created for the floating and flying vehicles accompanied with simple MP repro mission w/o mods and w/o callExtensions

Does BIS have a tool/procedure for simulating the engine/netcode effects of 30-50 players ingame, for 1-man repro?

If not, don't expect a repro mission, and asking for one is a little insulting. If heaps of players are telling you there is an issue, then there is an issue. I would hope our difficulty in producing a repro mission is not holding up the efforts to investigate/repair.

FWIW, re vehicle anomalies. It is occurring to both player-operated and AI-controlled, even when no players nearby. Whatever was done to vehicles between 1.16 and 1.18 would be a good place to start looking for the cause. Seems like the server is losing track of the vehicles.

EDIT: I do appreciate the hotfix for sub-munitions

http://dev.arma3.com/spotrep-00025

Fixed: Faulty handling sub-munitions in multiplayer would cause performance issues proportional to the number of players in the session (e.g. firing miniguns)

Fixed: MP crash opportunity

Fixed: One Tempest heavy truck variant was missing some interior textures

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

Seems like the server is losing track of the vehicles.

more likely is that the clients are not being informed of previous setpos* when the vehicle is outside of a certain range.

more likely is that the clients are not being informed of previous setpos* when the vehicle is outside of a certain range.

The range must be very short. IE trying to get into a helicopter but its actual position is 20m away, which your client is not told for 30-60 seconds or at all.

I have observed vehicles literally flying sideways through the air (a MBT, no less), visible to all clients. Eventually the vehicle became static at a position above terrain level. To me, that weighs against being a locality issue.

The range must be very short. IE trying to get into a helicopter but its actual position is 20m away, which your client is not told for 30-60 seconds or at all.

I have observed vehicles literally flying sideways through the air (a MBT, no less), visible to all clients. Eventually the vehicle became static at a position above terrain level. To me, that weighs against being a locality issue.

current theory:

1) server spawns a vehicle and immediately setposes it .5 meters into the air and sets direction

2) client 1 gets in, drives away (lets say 3 km?), then gets out

3) client 2, who was far away from the initial spawn then drives/teleports/whatever to client 1's location

4) client 2 may observe the vehicle floating in the air, client 1 will not because the vehicle is local to client 1.

but i have nobody here to help me test this theory

current theory:

1) server spawns a vehicle and immediately setposes it .5 meters into the air and sets direction

2) client 1 gets in, drives away

3) client 2, who was far away from the initial spawn then drives/teleports/whatever to client 1's location

4) client 2 may observe the vehicle floating in the air, client 1 will not because the vehicle is local to client 1.

but i have nobody here to help me test this theory

And of the AI-controlled vehicles?

wild speculation:

Perhaps some part of vehicle simulation has been loaded onto clients. I know Zeus-spawned vehicles certainly behave as if HC (a compliment to their implementation).

I'll observe the issue more closely for the time being. Can also help test if you'd like.

Edited by MDCCLXXVI

And of the AI-controlled vehicles?

wild speculation:

Perhaps some part of vehicle simulation has been loaded onto clients. I know Zeus-spawned vehicles certainly behave as if HC (a compliment to their implementation).

I'll observe the issue more closely for the time being. Can also help test if you'd like.

not sure what you are observing with AI vehicles, can you be more specific?

1.18 hotfix is atm newer than 1.18 perf1 in terms of the fixes so I suggest use what's in the stable branch

1.18 hotfix is atm newer than 1.18 perf1 in terms of the fixes so I suggest use what's in the stable branch

thanks Dwarden, I'll continue to work on the stable/dev branches to track down the issue.

may I ask which setPos* commands you suspect as broken ?

it looks like there is more issue with setposatl.

Does BIS have a tool/procedure for simulating the engine/netcode effects of 30-50 players ingame, for 1-man repro?

If not, don't expect a repro mission, and asking for one is a little insulting. If heaps of players are telling you there is an issue, then there is an issue. I would hope our difficulty in producing a repro mission is not holding up the efforts to investigate/repair.

^ this

^ this

gotta say - it is tough to get people to repro errors with me for any duration of time. they get antsy and want to play the effin' game

When a vehicle is in the air, if you destroy a wheel, it is refresh and go back to the floor.

^^ ahhh I remember that old bug back from Arma2 days. Was a little annoying.

^^ ahhh I remember that old bug back from Arma2 days. Was a little annoying.

Old code, old bug...

so now i'm seeing a different effect as I approach vehicles.. as if they are trying to correct their positions as I approach closer.