Sign in to follow this  
tortuosit

ArmA III is the last Arma

Oh, I forgot a question mark in the subject ;)

In the locked thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?157866-Proposal-for-a-new-Game-Engine&p=2427835&viewfull=1

user Insanatrix wrote:

They've hinted around about wanting to get away from the whole Military Simulator genre and try some new things. Maybe ArmA 3 will be the last ArmA. Maybe that's why there was so much work put into the engine of DayZ and so little into ArmA 3. It's funny that people talk about how much work the engine changes are when it comes to ArmA and how BI doesn't have a big enough team, yet they are somehow managing to do it with DayZ by totally rewriting the engine for the needs of DayZ and it's closed source nature as well as it's heavy need for lots of AI and such. I guess that's some food for thought...

RLY? Rumors? My life would not make sense any more! :D

I m not having problem if this IS the 'last' ArmA.

I just hope they will open crucial-long-wanted features and proper tools..and let the modders work from then.

Also i know BI will not stop support/updates long time after the official 'end'.

I don't currently mind if this is the last in the ArmA-series (if not for a decade or two), just make sure it's done properly and perhaps with one or two expansions - like OA, which was a good extension of A2 in my book. Both in terms of content and features - It's also understandable from a developer's point-of-view. So if BI wants to make an open world western next time, do so. ;)

It's more likely "got bored of milsim and authenticity/real-world" than "bored of Arma", and as I believe it was metalcraze who noted, Arma 3's official promoting leans much more heavily towards "sandbox" than "simulator" (something metalcraze saw as symptomatic of a non-milsim direction).

it's always better to never say never ... nor the last

I would not like to see ArmA III as the end. Or at the very least, they juggle between ArmA and other projects. They seem to be going down that road with DayZ and Take on Mars.

I know one person will facepalm big time at the thread title, it's Arma 3, not ArmA III FPDR

Starts with an M and ends with a y ;)

Does this thread make sense and is it posted in the right section of the forum (read the thread description below the thread title) ? Btw as long as BIS makes profit they will do whatever they think its right and of course try to stay alive + happy in games business/industry. ;)

They said it before many times. Arma2 was the final product, then Arma3 popped up to our surprise.

I'm sure not even BIS can say when they are done.

Personally it doesnt matter for me. It's all about the game mechanics. Even if A3 will be graphically outdated in a couple of years I will still be playing it. I would probably still be playing OFP if armed assault and arma didnt come out. Ofcourse graphics and features matter (that why I dont play OFP anymore), but a beautiful game is worth nothing if it isnt interesting.

Edited by andersson

Oh, I forgot a question mark in the subject ;)

In the locked thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?157866-Proposal-for-a-new-Game-Engine&p=2427835&viewfull=1

user Insanatrix wrote:

No problem. Please stand on this "X" below the heavy piano dangling on the woefully inadequate rope :mad:

If you read everything in that thread it should become apparent that some people in that thread were prone to guessing and drawing conclusions out of what amounted to thin air.

RLY? Rumors? My life would not make sense any more! :D

There were rumors that Arma 1 would be the last Arma, then Arma 2 happened, then there were rumors that Arma 2 was the last Arma, then Arma 3 happened. Now there are rumors that Arma 3 is the last Arma. There seems to be a pattern there. Either way Arma 3 will be with us for at least 4 years if they stick to the cycle so far.

I said maybe, I didn't say the Messiah deigned it to be true. It just feels like DayZ is getting more attention from rockets posts and then what we are seeing with ArmA 3. I wouldn't even blame them for wanting to focus on something else. I'm just afraid A3 support will be dropped off once DayZ comes out and if it seriously takes off. Then we'll be stuck with something even buggier and problematic than ArmA 2 was.

old, wrong rumor repeated again and again..

what was actually said was Ondrej (former lead programmer) is not particular interested in arma (his interestes are AI, terrain engine, etc) and would want to work on different things.

this statement is from A1 days and has been twisted into all different sorta of false presumptions

Yep. Good Idea.

Actually I had an Idea for an Armaverse, musically driven, AI heavy, 1st person COD style modern warfare shooter. Except completely without multiplayer, no loading sequences, and a female lead character.

How about that?

That's one old ass rumor, I had forgotten about it until I hovered over this thread.

Maybe that's why there was so much work put into the engine of DayZ and so little into ArmA 3.

Is that supposed to be a joke? Otherwise you'll get a nasty surprise when the Alpha of DayZ Standalone starts...

;2430603']old' date=' wrong rumor repeated again and again..

what was actually said was Ondrej (former lead programmer) is not particular interested in arma (his interestes are AI, terrain engine, etc) and would want to work on different things.

this statement is from A1 days and has been twisted into all different sorta of false presumptions[/quote']

His interests are AI? Well good thing there's much work to do with Arma 3's AI

Zinggggggg

nvm..

Is that supposed to be a joke? Otherwise you'll get a nasty surprise when the Alpha of DayZ Standalone starts...

Yeah the joke's on ArmA players.

DayZ SA engine gets advanced medical system (promised to us) while our, now useless, medics can go FAK themselves.

DayZ SA engine gets radios, while we are stuck with the same terrible VON that nobody will use despite MumbleLink ticket being there for 4 years. ArmA needed a better official way to communicate a lot more.

But hey at least Wasteland Standalone got DX11 renderer and gimmicky underwater combat that nobody cares about.

And zero AI improvements. But at least sides are mirrored for maximum fun.

;2430603']old' date=' wrong rumor repeated again and again..

this statement is from A1 days and has been twisted into all different sorta of false presumptions[/quote']

Thank you for your contribution Kju.

As some users can't stay on topic and the thread has run its course, I will now lock it in an unprecedented show of discriminatory e-force.

If a developer would like to make an official statement on the matter, he/she can add to the thread post lock.

BI team members have made statements about being tired of military games, etc. since after OFP, and yet here we are with the fourth game coming in PLUS other non simulation and non military game brands. I think usually what happens when you get tired of your job is you find another job. Or, perhaps in this case, you create a new job for yourself. Usually, a company doesn't alter course based on what the employees feel like. If Arma is profitable, I'm sure they can find people who are inspired by the title and the genre to work on it.

I think the rumour that started this thread was already well squashed. If there is any truth to it, no facts have been presented. If facts become available, please pm a moderator to reopen the thread.