Sign in to follow this  
Michaelp800

Serious injuries (graphic) - gore/violence

Seeing a buddy's leg blown off when a grenade is chucked into your bunker really has a huge affect on how you play and react compared to seeing a body slump over.

No, definatly not. That feature was already in the now vintage title "VietCong" and after you've seen it one ot two times you alrady began to ignore it. Oh and it gave the game a +18 rating.

Speak for yourself.

Edited by Smurf

Again would this add value? in an assasination mission maybe, in a cut scene maybe, in which case this can be scripted with textures and a custom model if needed. but if your playing A&S or TDM does blood splatters everywhere add anything of value when you consider how large the enviroments are? I doubt i would spend more than a few moments of where i was required to be due to sitting in any one place for too long makes you a target.

War and blood go together - walking into a recently decimated base with bodies everywhere but no blood makes my brain signal gas attack or terrific food poisoning -not the Ifrit slaughter that just happened. A blown out glass window with blood around the remaining glass digs deep into the psyche -much more to me than a missing leg that happens too frequently. I don't play TDM though I certainly would have appreciated it in A&S. Certain things are essential for immersion for different people -a bloodless war is just one of my personal dislikes.

Personally i want to choose to "cut" elements from *Simulator to have a more 'simple' /arcade-ish gamemode -than 'streching' the Game to have a close-Simulator.

I strongly believe the majority of ARMA fans thinks the same way as i do.

No..i don't have money for VBS and i don't really care for VBS.

I want ARMA to be better then this.

Certain things are essential for immersion for different people
And this is pretty much why I'm against the idea of adding in gore... it really doesn't add anything to my so-called immersion, and in retrospect when looking back at Call of Duty: World at War (the most notoriously gorey of the series) its gore and dismemberment didn't add anything to my "immersion" either.

COD and immersion on the same phrase?

Anyway, it is ruled out by BIS, no point in arguing about it. Even more if the medical system stays as simple as it is now. (which seems likely)

Atleast blood splatter from some higher powered gunshots that gets sprayed onto the ground or walls should be implemented. Arguing about what this would add to gameplay is nonsense; I mean after all, we're talking about it aren't we?

There needs to be more additions to the game that sets ArmA3 apart from the previous installations in the series, and this is one of them; even if you don't agree that enhanced gore is that addition, there still needs to be something new that really sets A3 apart from the other games. As of right now the game just seems to have beefed up graphics - what's new, gameplay-wise that we haven't seen in the past games (vanilla, or modded).

Edited by zooloo75

For whoever thought there is no penetration of objects in ArmA 3.

*edit* That's 4 Opfor soldiers .5m or so apart, I know you can't tell very well from the video.

Edited by Insanatrix

Seeing a buddy's leg blown off when a grenade is chucked into your bunker really has a huge affect on how you play and react compared to seeing a body slump over.

Yes, but what would your reaction be to seeing it happen in Arma?

1. "Oh shit my buddy's been hit. I better go and help before he dies."

2. "Oh shit, his leg's gone: Medic can do bugger all about that. I'll leave him to bleed out/He's already dead."

One of those is a fairly realistic, team-play-oriented casualty-response gameplay mechanic that lends itself to Arma's large-scale multiplayer environment even though it it paired with unrealistic injury and treatment mechanics. The other is more befitting of small-scale multiplayer games with frequent respawns where fairly realistic injury mechanics are devoid of any semblance of realistic casualty-response or treatment gameplay.

Gore/dismemberment is one of those realism features that doesn't naturally lend itself to people responding realistically in the context of a game environment because there is no immediate incentive for acting upon it. VBS2 gets away with it because it's 'played' in an environment where if the users don't respond in a sensible and realistic fashion to an ingame casualty, someone gives them an immediate bollocking IRL - so the incentive is not to get bollocked by your instructor.

To me, the immediate and natural desire to help wounded teammates in Arma 3 is more immersive than the fact that I can watch a bloke loose a foot in VBS2 or RO2, and feel I shouldn't even try to do anything to help.

Gore I don't care much for, but things like limping and being unable to walk are game play changing. Same for wounds to rest of soldier should have appropriate consequences.

Mucho trouble ahead (Germany is a good example, they always are in fear and try to prove their citizens start world wars whereever and whenever they can) and a waste of ressources. Moar goar would require a sophisticated medical system. Not worth discussing.

Moar goar would require a sophisticated medical system. Not worth discussing.

Yep, that's what I'm saying. That needs a better medical treating system. However, broken legs like in Arma 2 are a good beginning... but I miss the structural damage of the legs (visible flesh wounds and a bit more gore would also do this effect).

A bleeding system would also be nice!! Please take a look on the mod Project Reality for the Game Battlefield 2. That's what realism fans want!

Mucho trouble ahead (Germany is a good example, they always are in fear and try to prove their citizens start world wars whereever and whenever they can) and a waste of ressources. Moar goar would require a sophisticated medical system. Not worth discussing.

Hello there

I think it's worth discussing but unlikely to happen.

I'd like to also see a more advanced wounding system as well as as a more advanced medical system. For me, using an already given example, if I saw my buddies foot badly mangled with a fear of impending death, I'm personally much more keen to assist and organise some sort of evacuation and med assist. Different strokes for different folks i suppose.

I also like gore from a visual point of view, not because it's "cool" but because it fits in with warfare. It's an ugly business and IMHO should reflect that.

Censorship from Germany is always a pain. Its unfortunate if devs have to alter a game for that particular market, but understandable.

If wounding and med systems were included they would have to be easily turn on and offabble though for those who dislike it. Perhaps through a module.

Regardless of whether it *will* happen I would like to see it implemented.

Rgds

LoK

Wait... Germany does what? Please tell me I misunderstood you.

more advanced wounding system as well as as a more advanced medical system

It needs both. That's what realism fans want!

I have a lot of tested and working suggestions for that. But at first we have to know, if they will implement more injury realism... that's a big part in/of field combat!

I think the way to go would be BIS implementing basic functions which will allow these kinds of wounds, but not implement it in the core game. Not even as an option. Like... making limbs "detachable" via code/modelling. The visual extra effects would have to be implemented by modders.

Officials can censor a game for having such things in the core game but I doubt they will censor it, if it is made by community modders.

It wouldn't get censored. Injuries and medical treatment is highly recommended for a realistic game. And that's what realism fans want! It would be PEGI/USK 18+ with the hint for much gore, but not censored. If some countries censor it, there can still exist an uncut version. But censor a good sim game wouldn't happen. It must not be censored because the game isn't for children!

I think you are missguided.

If wounding and med systems were included they would have to be easily turn on and offabble though for those who dislike it. Perhaps through a module.

I agree.

C'mon now man, the game's motto = "This is war."

On top of that gore and dismemberment has been a factor in gaming since the days of Quake and perhaps before I can't recall any titles offhand.

Yeah but in Germany it is forbidden by a recent law, and all of the other countries players should stay under this law because making 2 different versions it's too expansive, i think

BTW i'm italian but i know about this law, after all Germany rules on all of european countries, we at least should make a worldwide petition to make Germany to change its mind about this law but i doubt this will happen even with 1.000.000 signatures...

Ah, touche.

I personally would like to see serious, graphic injuries. To anyone who has played Red Orchestra 2, you know what I mean when I say it just makes the overall experience more visceral. Seeing a buddy's leg blown off when a grenade is chucked into your bunker really has a huge affect on how you play and react compared to seeing a body slump over.

yeah definitely i know this ;) in RS also ;)

No Rabbits were harmed during the making of the game

video of exploding rabbits

is this a mod or an after effect trick ?

Edited by Simon1279

is this a mod or an after effect trick ?

Mod I changed FSM of rabbit to hunt man and explode when 3 feet close

I want to make feeding whales and sharksfor beta and by product is alien zombies and deadly rabbits as see in my video libray lol

No, definatly not. That feature was already in the now vintage title "VietCong" and after you've seen it one ot two times you alrady began to ignore it. Oh and it gave the game a +18 rating.

As noted by Smurf, speak for yourself, but from my experience, as I said, it most certainly adds to the overall experience, and can ruin the momentum the game when placed in conjunction with everything else that's going no in the battlefield. While not completely necessary, it adds the final piece of the pie. While there are exceptions to every rule, children in general shouldn't be playing Arma anyhow.

Yeah but in Germany it is forbidden by a recent law, and all of the other countries players should stay under this law because making 2 different versions it's too expansive, i think

It isn't as harsh as it was during "Soldiers of Fortune 2" times with German censoring,as long as the product isn't about WW2 a lot of things will pass without any cuts at all.A certain WW2 themed game that got its "Pacific Wartheather" addon released weeks ago is in the process of getting the basegame made uncut even for germans,having a semi realistic injury system in ArmA does not mean there HAS to be a different version.

Many people i play with would love to have a system in place like in VBS2,for those that don't want it there could always be a serverside setting or something similiar.

I would welcome mods that do the same thing but having it cooked in the engine would be best

Let's summarize:

What we have now: No gore and no possibility for modding that (like Toxx mentioned - "detachable" like limbs) - it stays the A2 way - only possible way is spawning the dead body object in place of dead soldier.

What we should have: Core-engine support for modders interested in dismemberment.

Effect: Both sides are happy - wanters and rating boards.

Edited by fragmachine
damn typo

Wait... Germany does what? Please tell me I misunderstood you.

It's about german thinking. Lets say BIS would put gore into ArmA. The germans only question is: "Will that make our citizens world conquerers again? Will we have WW3?" - and the default answer is "yes, we should not risk it" and the result would be, "we should forbid ArmA".