kenoxite

WW4 Extended - Unofficial expansion for WW4 2.5

Sure, go ahead. You (and anyone else) can use anything from EXT as you see fit. Anything except the 3rd party vehicles, infantry units and other things not derived from WW4 or not explicitly public domain. When in doubt, check the credits list. You should get an idea bout what is what regarding persmissions.

Thank you Kenoxite

The original model provided by vektorboson didn't provide a porthole for the side gunner, so it couldn't be placed there. My attempts at creating a good looking hole in Oxygen weren't successful. The only alternative was to tweak the ramp to be always down and place a gunner there or no gunner at all. I went for the latter, as the usefulness of transport helo gunners in OFP is debatable (at least when managed by AI against AI) anyway.

@supportgunner

Please note that I just retextured the CH-46 from the JSDF-mod (japanese self-defense forces). And I have to agree with kenoxite that transport helicopters with door gunners in OFP are quite shitty.

Hey! to be honest, your camoflaged units are cool!

And its even effective. the camo really works. the ACU (even its the worst camo) is effective on mountainous parts and

all of the rest exept for the MultiCam is effective. Try editing the color by curves or sharpen the camoflage layer and surface blur

it before putting it to the unit texture.

Edited by Captione
Bad English

transport helicopters with door gunners in OFP are quite shitty.

Hey Vektor.

I'd agree in general the chopper's movement will make the gunner's job almost impossible.

Heli pilots always have the tendency to dip the nose every so often.Especially if they're

aware of enemy troops.

But provided you keep the chopper at a reasonable distance and set the the pilot to careless,

you can get them to fly level enough to have the gunner offer support to dropped troops.

It's not perfect.But it seemed to work well the few times I tried it.It worked better with an

m134 I bolted on,than the default M2.Probably because of the higher dispersion.

@ Captione: Glad you like the camo textures, but all the props should go to Sanctuary. About the multicam one, that got a while to "get right" (as you can see if you read the few first pages). I tweaked it already from the original one by Sanctuary, up to the point where nobody mentioned them anymore. I assumed it was OK then and moved on. If you really think it still needs improvement I can take a look at it, but you then need to be a bit more precise. But if you want to give it a go yourself, feel free to do so. The multicam texture has been included in the EXT files (in the extras folder) since almost the beginning, so you can grab that.

@ supportgunner: While working on the next update I also played around with flashlight units (you can see them in the linked album below). You can use them yourself if you want them. I only created them for testing and fun. Just note that the flashlights are mostly useless, as it doesn't affect AI perception at all.

@ TangusWulff: I think the WW4 counter-terrorist units already use that pattern. At least a very similar one. They were adapted and are included in the next update already. About the mortars, I don't think I'll go further than the EXT version of the mortar scripts, sorry. If anybody else wants to give it a go and create an addon for EXT with that feature, please, go ahead. The group tracking is actually quite easy to create yourself for specific missions. The problem with that kind of script embedded in EXT is that, for it to work, I'd need to create an array with every spawned EXT unit, which is something I want to avoid (I mentioned this already elsewhere in this thread). Not to mention that I've found several problems with some of the already existing scripts (CTD-like, mostly caused by how the init EH works, apparently). TBH, for v1.0 if anything I'm trying to simplify or remove as much scripting from EXT as possible.

--

@All:

I've kind of faded away for a few months and maybe some of you were wondering what was up with me (or, more precisely, with EXT). The thing is, most of the heavy load for the next version is already done. Actually, it was done about 3 months ago. The thing is, I tend to work in bursts, and I tend to do too much stuff in that short span of time, which leads to continuous burn-outs. By the time I was fed up with anything OFP related, this is how the changelog for the next version looked like (warning, it's long):

v1.0 - Internal restructuring, balancing of units and weapons, tweaking of vehicle models, Arma 1 and 2 ports, IEDs, PMCs, more guns, persistent faces

All:
- CHANGE: Revised and refactored class inheritance and overall structure of EXT. It should be cleaner and easier to follow and edit. This version *requires* a clean install.

Logics:
- NEW: "Enable persistent faces" game logic and associated scripts that control the display of custom faces for all EXT units. Persistent through saved games and also applied to vehicles crew.
- NEW: "Enable sight switching" game logic that allows switching between telescopic sights (ACOG, PSO, etc) and back up iron sights. Activated through action menu or user defined key via FWATCH and personal menu. Switching will reload the gun and revert the selected fire mode to the default (semi, in most cases). Switching takes up to two seconds to try to balance that
- NEW: Blizzard weather effect
- FIX: New fixed versions of vanilla WW4 snow and sand dust weather FX logics.  
- FIX: Arty FFE script wasn't using the passed custom radius
- FIX: Activation code for AI rucksack management wasn't present since who knows when
- FIX: Fixed pathing of toyotas script
- CHANGE: Increased horizontal radius to hear bullet cracks from 30 to 50m
- CHANGE: "Alert" mode set through the personal menu won't change the combat mode of the player's group (it will preserve "don't fire" order)
- CHANGE: "Stealth" mode set through the personal menu no longer issues an "engage at will" order (to avoid AI becoming too bold trying to look for good cover)
- CHANGE: Added further checks for presence of unit in the event handler init scripts
- CHANGE: WW4 fire and smoke effects when vehicle is destroyed now initialized via killed EH, instead of constantly running script. Effects duration now tied to vehicle type (the bigger, the longer it lasts). No effects for no fuelled vehicles

Units:
- NEW: Soviet motor rifle infantry wearing KLMK overalls
- NEW: Spetsnaz counter terrorism / COIN units, using WW4 models. They can be used to represent OMON, MVD, FSB, etc
- NEW: Spetsnaz units based on Afghan ones
- NEW: Special reconnaissance units in BDU woodland
- NEW: Special operation forces in night (black) camo
- NEW: Ghillie sniper units for BDU woodland. Non-ghillie version for BDU desert
- NEW: PMC/Mercenary units in desert and woodland for all sides (alternative take on vanilla WW4 mercs)
- NEW: Insurgent class carrying and able to deploy IEDs. EXT engineers are able to deactivate them (those placed by an AI or a player). Based on the WGL mines
- NEW: Dragon gunner for BDU units in desert and woodland
- NEW: New auto-rifleman class using M16A1 for BDU units (old M249 class still present)
- FIX: Squad bar icons for National Army units for west and east sides weren't properly applied
- CHANGE: All infantry units should be more reactive in combat now. Stealthy approaches are now possible, mainly by crawling (spec op classes have it easier). Helmets and body armor now use values based on real life equivalents (IBA, PASGT, 6B23, etc) and each unit is only protected on the areas shown in its model.
- CHANGE: AT4 gunner changed to LAW gunner for BDU units
- CHANGE: Soviet and russian heavy anti-tank gunners now use the new RPG-29
- CHANGE: Lowered resolution for the LOD with cat eyes. That should shorten the range at which cat eyes are visible.
- CHANGE: Team leaders no longer assigned NV goggles for BDU units. Only Squad Leaders and Officers carry one now.
- CHANGE: Shortened the formation distance of insurgent, guerrilla and national army units. Insurgent units are now particularly packed together (2m), increasing the chance of becoming victims of splash damage and/or concentrated fire. The two latter use the vanilla BIS distance (half of WW4 distance, 5m). Rest still use WW4 defaults (10m).
- CHANGE: Insurgent and guerrilla ambush squads now consist of: 2xRPG gunner, 2xRPG gunner assistant, 1xMG gunner, 1xMG gunner assistant and 1xmarksman
- CHANGE: East BIS replacement units now equipped with RPG-18 and RPG-26 instead of RPG-7 and RPO-Shmel
- CHANGE: West mechanized groups now equipped with Dragon instead of Javelin. More units equipped with LAW launchers
- CHANGE: Renamed "Spetsnaz GRU" category to "Spetsnaz" (as it now includes branches other than GRU)
- CHANGE: VDV Recon moved to Spetsnaz category and assigned spec op stats, traits and weapons. Model also updated
- CHANGE: Updated models for National Army units
- CHANGE: Updated VDV afghan model. Kapi version deprecated. Kapi now integrated in main model. Model now displays a collar again. Textures also fixed and updated.

Vehicles: 
- NEW: All BIS vehicles now use a new model with hidden side markings (red and white stars, etc). BMP, BMP2, BRDM and M113 models scaled down to more realistic sizes. Increased cargo capacity of BMP2 and M113 to 14 and 10 respectively. BMP2 commander position now in the turret, besides the gunner, and extra cargo now sits on the roof of the vehicle.
- NEW: BIS AH1 Cobra, 5t and Ural trucks, A-10 (also LGB version) and M113 without shield
- NEW: M1A1M, M60A3, T-55M, T-72M and BMP-2 export versions for all sides
- NEW: LAV-25 green
- FIX: Supercobra: textured exhaust (simple black). 
- FIX: Strykers: revised and fixed geometry and alpha sorting, fixed axis of turret, rifles shouldn't engage Strykers any more (vehicle is type armor but simulates car now).
- FIX: LAV: cargo faces the correct direction when exiting and entering, gunner view should be more functional now.
- FIX: Harrier: texture of ammo display in cockpit is working now, position of GAU gun corrected, cockpit console lighting, game engine (AI, autopilot) now able to land this plane, non-GBU version will show/hide the missile proxies correctly now
- FIX: Sea Knight: minor fixes to the textures in the tail area, so the numbers aren't cut
- FIX: A-10: cockpit console lighting
- CHANGE: T-80U renamed to T-80BV. Now able to shoot Kobra ATGM
- CHANGE: M1A1 and static M2 MG also for USMC
- CHANGE: Armored HMMWVs also for US Army
- CHANGE: BIS M1A1 changed to M1, BIS M2A2 changed to M2. M1A1 and M2A2 versions, plus HMMWV, now only available in "US Army" category.
- CHANGE: Rebalanced armor and ammo values of all vehicles. Using CAVS and WGL values as starting points (most vehicles used them already, but not all).
- CHANGE: Editor name of vehicles now include a prefix tag indicating the type of vehicle or function they serve. It should be easier to identify what is what for those not familiar with the vehicles or their function
- CHANGE: MBTs with ballistic fire control systems now fire high speed rounds so no extra gun elevation is needed for in-range shots (human gunner still needs to compensate horizontally if enemy vehicle is moving that way). Gunner is also able to see radar in these vehicles.

Weapons:
- NEW: IEDs. Possible to detonate them remotely or by damaging them. They can also be placed via the editor (found in "WW4 EXT/Objects") where they are available in two variants: buried (the default) and hidden in grass. AI units won't avoid those placed via the editor (unlike the IEDs placed by AI or players). IEDs also available as rucksack ammo
- NEW: AS Val, assigned to Spetsnaz units
- NEW: Tripod M60, M240 and PKM
- NEW: M47 Dragon launcher (WW4EXT_DragonLauncher,WW4EXT_DragonMag)
- NEW: RPG-18, RPG-22, RPG-26 and RPG-29, light and heavy rocket launchers for East
- NEW: M16A1 using special ammo that allows AI units to engage at a longer distance with a higher rate of fire. Intended to be used with US auto-riflemen prior to the introduction of the M249 (1984).
- NEW: Proper SOFLAM using imported and edited Arma 2 model. BDU units still use old laser designator model
- NEW: Makarov and Makarov silenced, imported and edited from Arma 2. Russian and soviets units equipped now with this gun instead of the Tokarev
- NEW: MK14 marksman rifle, imported and edited from Arma 2. Assigned to USMC marksmen, and to US Army ones in UCP and Multicam
- NEW: AK-74 and RPK-74, assigned to soviet infantry
- NEW: Several new weapons for vehicles (crew MGs, ATGMs, etc)
- NEW: Groza OTs-14-4A-03 (PSO and SD)
- NEW: Adapted to EXT most BIS weapons not already present in WW4 or EXT
- FIX: Fixed path to bullet impact sounds. They should be back again
- CHANGE: Numerous changes to the values of the ammo of rocket and missile launchers. Part of the armor rebalance included in this update
- CHANGE: Revised and updated overall bullet damage and muzzle velocities
- CHANGE: Bullet flying sounds successfully muted now
- CHANGE: Rate of fire changes also applied to rifles using 7.62 ammo (reduced rate of fire and mode selection distances)
- CHANGE: Added WW4 bullet impact sounds to the appropriate vehicle weapons (mounted MGs, etc)
- CHANGE: Expanded impact sound library for most vehicle weapons. Now they will use different sounds when impacting against metal, buildings, ground or people
- CHANGE: RPG-7 and M136 now use imported and edited Arma 1 models
- CHANGE: RPG-18 now uses imported and edited Arma 2 model (also RPG-22 and RPG-26, by now)
- CHANGE: Updated sound of handguns
- CHANGE: Updated Groza and Groza SD to look more like an OTs-14-4A-01 and OTs-14-4A-02, respectively
- CHANGE: All "silenced" (SD) ammo now inherits subsonic classes (instead of silenced) and moves at subsonic speeds. Reduced AI engagement range to better adjust to the new lower speeds

Other:
- NEW: Several new custom faces in woodland camo. 
- NEW: New glasses: GI glasses S9 (class GIglassesS9)

Some of the stuff it's not necesarily up to date or will make it for the final release, mind you. But that should give you an idea of what's to come. I've also created a video showcasing some random stuff mentioned in the changelog. There's quite a lot left, such as new desert vehicles by Apoc, but it's still quite meaty:

And here's an old album with some extra stuff. Note that some of the features (such as units with flashlights and NBC gear) won't make it to the next version, and would be released independently, if ever. Let me also stress that most of the images are from very early WIP versions of units and vehicles and it's extremely incomplete, in any case: https://imgur.com/a/jeKp9

Well, most of the workload was done already last year. I've devoted the last few days to revise and finish some features. There's still more work left, but it's comparably minor. Still, some bug fixing might take longer than expected.

As mentioned, my intention is to up the version of the next release to 1.0 and final (fingers crossed). That means some features (the buggier ones) might be chopped and there will be for sure a whole reestructuring, some invisible (such as the whole reestructuring of the internals of the pbos) and others more visible. Among them, probably a split of the current EXT to make it more modular. Think about what was done with Arctic, but EXT COIN, EXT Cold War, etc. But that's yet to be decided.

The day when I will not need to search for additional addons for WW4 is near.

Good job Kenoxite and thanks Sanctuary for letting it happen!

It's probably too late for some suggestions, but it'd be great to have "functionality addons" (scripts, effects, weapons, icons and so on) clearly differentiated from "content addons" (units, vehicles). This way anyone who would like to make "plugins" (units, factions) to WW4Ext, would know where to find core functions. Now one have to almost blindly check pbos. (Some templates would be also great)

Also: Sanctuary's back! Yay! :)

@ Sanctuary: Glad to see you around here and thanks for the kind words. Appreciate it :). And BTW, if you have any suggestion or correction to make about how EXT is going just let me know.

@ Akvadakar: Thanks, mate.

@ krzy: It's definitely not too late for suggestions. I agree on what you mention, but I thought EXT was there already. Scripts, support options, etc are each one separated in their own pbo. The next version will change how things work internally, as mentioned, but the pbos themselves are mostly the same (same names, etc). The changes are about the internals of each one of them, and it should be for the better, as in more modular and clear. At least that is my intention.

Check this album where I try to walk you through some of the changes via an example. Make sure to read the descritions of each image: https://imgur.com/a/ldPUN

The only catch is that you would need to copy a file from the main EXT pbo (infantry or vehicles) to your addon directory and include them in your config.cpp. There's no way to include an hpp from another pbo that I'm aware of.

Feel free to ask any further questions regarding all this. Also, note that I have yet to decide exactly what values the EXT units will use in 1.0. So far I'm using what I personally like better, but it's up for debate.

Edited by kenoxite

I thought EXT was there already. Scripts, support options, etc are each one separated in their own pbo.

Yup, however I was wondering about something like Sanctuary's WW4BIS - no additional units, only WW4Ext EH (and weapon/armor values etc.) added to BI units. So adding other Ext-compatible units would be way easier. But on the other hand it may also introduce problems (when using with other addons that have it's own EH).

The way You've went with 1.0 (baseextdefinitions.hpp) seems to be good solution. I assume that units defined there will have at least defined EH and Ext icons? If so, then only armor values should be manually written by modder, and weapon loadouts.

The only catch is that you would need to copy a couple files from the main EXT pbo (infantry or vehicles) to your addon directory and include them in your config.cpp. There's no way to include an hpp from another pbo that I'm aware of.

Really? Then maybe put this file in \bin\ folder? WGL did it with their model definition thing, which allows user to change units model without molesting .pbos (though, again it introduces problem with inheriting WW4 Mod \bin\ files - You've got to copy them to WW4Ext \bin\).

Yup, however I was wondering about something like Sanctuary's WW4BIS - no additional units, only WW4Ext EH (and weapon/armor values etc.) added to BI units. So adding other Ext-compatible units would be way easier. But on the other hand it may also introduce problems (when using with other addons that have it's own EH).

The way You've went with 1.0 (baseextdefinitions.hpp) seems to be good solution. I assume that units defined there will have at least defined EH and Ext icons? If so, then only armor values should be manually written by modder, and weapon loadouts.

As of 1.0 you would only need to make that particular unit you've created a child (inherit the parent class) of one of the base unit classes. Say, you want to create a west rifleman with your own model and loadout. Instead of something like:

class myWestSoldier: SoldierWB

you should use

class myWestSoldier: WW4EXT_RiflemanW

WW4EXT_RiflemanW inherits from WW4EXT_RiflemanBase, which in turn inherits from WW4EXT_SoldierBase. That means that, unless you specify otherwise, it'll use the default eventhandler, sensitivity, camouflage and armor values, as well as formation distance, as well as the appropriate command bar icon. If you want to change any of those values while following the EXT ones you could also copy the defines.hpp and use any of the defined values found there, as you can see in rifleBDU.hpp.

As for the EH, note that not all units use the same parameters (middle east ones need to pass a variable to load the arab faces, for instance). I also changed the way rucksacks are implemented. Instead of the old way, where rucksacks are part of the default unit inventory and then the rucksack and mags removed unless the logic was placed, they are now an optional parameter passed to the init EH script (eh_infantry.sqs). This was done in order to keep the units as clean as possible. Unless you place the rucksacks logic, the units will be loaded as clean as a vanilla WW4 one.

Really? Then maybe put this file in \bin\ folder? WGL did it with their model definition thing, which allows user to change units model without molesting .pbos (though, again it introduces problem with inheriting WW4 Mod \bin\ files - You've got to copy them to WW4Ext \bin\).

You should only need to copy that hpp from the EXT pbo to your own pbo folder. No extra tinkering or hassle other than that (and, if you wonder, users don't have to do any of this, it's just you as modder). Once it's part of your addon, once you've copied it and included it, you're golden. No need for fancy bins, which BTW is something that EXT will never do.

Edited by kenoxite
and yes, icons too

Kenoxite, hello.

You mod is great! We testing it in multiplayer. Work good. What you think about add modular weapon system from you CCE version?

Upd: you planned only west nbc units or russian too?

What you think about more russian modern camouflage? You VDV really nice, but flora "old" camouflage.

Edited by Spirit_JaT

One thing I've remembered. US Army and Rangers use different Multicam than SF. If You could somehow standarize it, that'd be great.

@ Spirit_JaT:

MWS: I don't think the CCE's MWS will make it to EXT. I remember planning to release it separately time ago. There's always Faguss MWS anyway.

About the NBC units:

Long answer: they were mostly a test where I got too carried away. Also, currently the west units use Farmland's mask (I tweaked it for my needs and use WW4 textures, but the model is still theirs) so that means that I should dig around to find who to ask for permission, dig further to find a working contact, and then play the waiting game yet again. Alternatively, I could remodel the whole thing, which would end up ressembling too much Farmland's model (so many ways to skin a cat, etc). But, considering that if I were to finish those units I would need create PMK versions myself for the soviet/russian units, well I guess remodelling an M40 wouldn't be that much trouble.

Short answer: Unlikely.

What I might up end doing is to put the model out there in its current state and let others finish it, so they can add a PMK or whatever gas mask version they wish.

More spazzy VDV camo patterns: OK, which pattern would suit a modern VDV unit? Would any of the existing WW4 textures fit better? Does this page have a more suiting pattern? http://devon.chrisob.com/photoshop/Camouflage/ (BTW, what's the community stance about using textures from that source? Is it kosher?).

@ krzy: You are correct. The reason they are different is because the texture of the helmet is defined in the fatigues texture. While the two former use multicam also for the helmets, the latter (the SF guys) don't. Hence, why there's two separate mc textures.

The reason they are different is because the texture of the helmet is defined in the fatigues texture. While the two former use multicam also for the helmets, the latter (the SF guys) don't. Hence, why there's two separate mc textures.

My point wasn't about them being in two files - I know that SF guys use plain helmet without camo and that's good, but the shade of MC on Army guys is different than SF guys. If that's a deliberate choice, OK, but I think this is a left over from Your initial experimentations with proper MC shade/color.

As for Your question about that camo page: I didn't know about it, and I can already say that Polish wz. 93 looks bad (heavily distorted), but other camos looks OK. Definately it offers more patterns than WW4 templates, so it may be a way to go.

As for eastern european gas masks: Couldn't you ask the guys from CSLA-mod to use their gas mask?

@ krzy: Now I see it. You're right. multispecop.paa uses a slightly outdated version of the texture (slightly brighter). Good catch. Will fix.

My question about that page was mostly about fair use. But, digging around again (I remember doing this last year, but forgot what I ended up with) it seems that they are indeed public domain, as you can see it clearly implied it in the original thread: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1242734

There might be more textures there BTW.

@ vektorboson: Hmm... now that's interesting. Wasn't OFP CSLA public domain? Or was just that BRDM2 thing?

Thanks for answer!

About camouflage: Russian Armed Forces now using (from you link - Flora Digital). So, if you can replace textures on VDV or/and motorizied infantry it will be great.

About gaz mask: i can give to you link only for it russian gazmask: http://russianmodteam.ucoz.com/load/addons/men/pak_sovetskikh_bojcov_v_protivogazakh_i_ozk/16-1-0-235

@ Spirit_JaT: Flora digital for VDV and motorized inf then. I'll create a new branch for them with that pattern, but the old Flora units will still be there. Any other soviet/russian unit that would need an upgrade?

That GP-5 mask looks great. The author seems to be Yuri825. Do you think he would allow its use in EXT? Actually, could you send him a request on my behalf? (just remember to give him a link to this thread so he's aware about what's this WW4 EXT thing).

Well, damn you guys. It seems there will be NBC units in EXT after all. Now I really need to figure out a good way to chop all this. EXT is getting gigantic to a point where it's starting to become barely manegeable.

BTW, here's the reference album I created for all this NBC thing. It might be of use for someone else, or just for pleasure if you have a gas mask fetish: https://imgur.com/a/5mSrB

Also, I just sent a PM to SomerenV in those forums. To make sure he's OK with me using any of his textures for this project.