Simulation of sound speed for all weapons

Changelog & 340 mps is the speed of sound..

Am I the only one having issues with sounds clipping, or making clicking noises while driving? For me this is really severe in the slammer and makes me not want to use it at all. To me it sounds like some of the sounds are just too loud, which produces artifacts.. Anyone else plagued by this or is it just my soundcard? Not having any trouble what so ever in any other game though.

Heruon this might be a problem with you particular system. Try going into Arma3 audio settings and lower the volume, then turn up your speakers/headphones instead to get desired volume.

Tried it now and it didn't work. Thanks for the advice though. So, if you place a Slammer in the editor and drive around in it in first person, you don't get any distortion? Thing is, I don't have any problems with for example the Kuma, it sounds just fine. And with JSRS the Slammer sounds great..

Okay I just tried it and you are right. There is distorsion at a certain engine rpm of the slammer it seems. It's fine on idle and steady state cruising.

Ok, if I get the time I'll create a ticket for it tomorrow and check which vehicles are afflicted. Thanks for looking into it Brisse

Hi DNA or Dwarden, can you find out if there is any news about environment sound occlusion (environment blocking sound) and if its going to be added to the sound engine as standard?

If there is no plan for it, how would you people add this aspect via mods?

Fire selector lever and closure sounds are better in todays dev-branch update. Thanks Bohemia :)

The main problem with the selector switch wasn't the volume though, it was the fact that it could be heard from hundreds of meters away, like reloading and placing explosives. As for closure sounds, I think the problem with them is that they come in too late. They seem out of sync with the shot. Sometimes if you fire a burst, you get two clicks right at the end.

Yes, and the timing of the closure sound changes with the FPS it seems. Sounds okay when FPS is good but when FPS drops it sounds glitchy.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

And why do we hear the closure sound when the bolt locks open at the last shot? :D

In the case of the MX, I think the closure sounds, and any others that play during the shot, have a detrimental effect on the sound as a whole. I don't know about anyone else, but the MX sound hurts my ears. There's a kind of high-frequency hissing sound that I find really unpleasant, especially on full auto.

Dslyecxi tweeted about the audio engine being his #1 thing to get fixed in A3 right now (second being performance). Hopefully we'll see some more focus on these issues?

These are the real issues with reload , selector sounds and some other

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8938 & http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18210

reason is not the volume , its the bugged sound range ...

then all sounds are so quiet except fire , explosions and engine sounds also 5.1 is still bugged

also compared to A2 , the A2 is much louder and sound range is working there properly with 5.1

Edited by RobertHammer

These are the real issues with reload , selector sounds and some other

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8938 & http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18210

reason is not the volume , its the bugged sound range ...

then all sounds are so quiet except fire , explosions and engine sounds also 5.1 is still bugged

also compared to A2 , the A2 is much louder and sound range is working there properly with 5.1

^this

We are currently in a bad spot when it comes to sounds right now.

JSRS has been discontinued for now and remains in a half broken state, SoS is nice but can still be considered to be in Beta and has compatibility issues with other Mods (and includes additional stuff that not everybody wants), ACSE is nowhere in sight and the vanilla sounds are really bad when it comes to the soundrange.

I´m quite shocked that we have so few soundmods so long after release.....

Edited by Tonci87

It seems like several modders just gave up due to the lacking/broken features of the audio engine.

SoS is also discontinued for now, just too many changes to the game and not enough features in the audio engine to make it worth my time and effort.

That is sad news

Honestly I can´t see myself playing much Arma 3 without a proper Soundmod. Seeing a firefight happen 1km away, or shells impacting, tanks shooting, etc and not beeing able to hear any of it is my immersion killer #2 (AI going full retard is #1).

Since your Mod is discontinued too my only remaining hope is ACSE, and god knows if and when that is going to be released. Just like with ACE 3 you don´t hear anything about progress and ETA.... :(

Among soundmods, ACSE is what "Apocalypse Now" is among movies.

Something like this? :D

One more wonderful thing about the way a helicopter sounds is that it has a different articulation as it passes by. You’ll hear five or six different things going on when you get into different spatial relationships to it — sometimes you’ll hear just the rotor, then you’ll hear just the turbine, then you’ll hear just the tail rotor, then you’ll hear some clanking piece of machinery, then you’ll hear low thuds. The helicopter provides you with the sound equivalent of shining a white light through a prism — you get the hidden colors of the rainbow.

http://designingsound.org/2009/10/walter-murch-special-apocalypse-now/

Good reading.

Dude it seems you are having very high goals, because Apocalypse Now had outstanding sound design.

Maybe you could persuade us with a short WIP video? :p :o

And yes helicopters do have very rich sound spectrum.

I remember when a few years past I was sitting in my favourite beach bar and suddenly I heard that deep flapping sound of rotors whipping the air, still just a distant rumble. I looked around and couldn´t see the source. Suddenly it intensified as a Mi-17 appeared over a hill one km away from me and came right at me in very low level flight. I quickly pulled out my old crappy Nokia mobile (I love my Galaxy S3) and well here it is: (obviously with shitty sound quality that doesn´t do it justice and much too quiet)

Edited by Tonci87

:D

Guys, what I meant is, Apocalypse Now also had troubled development and it's premiere were delayed several times. But once it was finally released, it blew people away.

Guys, what I meant is, Apocalypse Now also had troubled development and it's premiere were delayed several times. But once it was finally released, it blew people away.

So you are saying that ACSE has troubled development and is getting delayed again? :p

I´m just kidding, I really look forward to beeing blown away by your Mod :)

Tis true. So bad in fact they made a movie documenting just that fact, "Hearts of Darkness" which is just as bad ass as the movie itself imho. And yes, we expect a full "behind the ACSE -a troubled tale" docu-movie as well!

Last main branch update appears to have changed the sound cone properties, the properties i used in the past have a different effect now, its almost like its 2D. What has changed?

What I've noticed in the past few dev updates is that the gunshot sounds of NPCs appear to be.... delayed. There have been many occasions where and enemy has been firing at me, and then when he dies, I hear his final shots around a half second later after he dies. I haven't been able to get consistent results or a video of this so I haven't made a ticket about it yet. Anyone else experience this?