One thing that is love to see taken care of is that hills should be casting shadows on the objects in their shady side. Bright bushes and illuminated soldiers make tsrgeting easier and does affect game play. The sexy sun rays dont go through hills so there must be hope.

I agree, something is fishy with terrain shadows. That being said, the sexy sun rays don't actually go anywhere, much less through hills. They are not a true volumetric effect, but merely a 2D post process.

The non blinding sun when staring directly at it problem is back:

adxbS5Zq.jpg abgyK7Un.jpg

Repro: Altis, June 10th, 8AM.

Unable to reproduce

Same here. Any chance that the small cloud somehow blocked the sun and what's your cloud detail level?

Here's quick example how cloud detail can affect.

Edited by St. Jimmy
added example

Hmm... Tested in many places around the island, clouds on Ultra but overcast set to zero (on the imgs below). It is not instant, seems to be related to somekind of eye adaptation.

First screen, aiming straight at the sun after a few sec, zooming. Second screen, same point, after a few sec, no zoom. Third screen, few centimeters to the side.

abcOb6di.jpg acjxGGWs.jpg adpwQRg9.jpg

abtGDWeW.jpg abuGAVbL.jpg adc6W28e.jpg

:confused:

Related ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=854

Nope, still not able to repro, the blinding glow shrinks a bit after looking at the Sun for a few secs, but it's still blinding.

Maybe do an integrity check on Steam?

Edited by CaptainObvious
tyop

Yep, no problems there.

I'm starting to think it is related to sights textures. Once you put the red dot on the sun, that thing happens both ADS and in "normal" view. Take it off, blind.

With the backup sights on the ARCO, which has a smaller dot, is harder to get the error. But it happens with ironsights too.

I know I should be using the tracker but here is so much easier...

Yep, no problems there.

I'm starting to think it is related to sights textures. Once you put the red dot on the sun, that thing happens both ADS and in "normal" view. Take it off, blind.

With the backup sights on the ARCO, which has a smaller dot, is harder to get the error. But it happens with ironsights too.

I know I should be using the tracker but here is so much easier...

You should make a video about this. Couldn't reproduce no matter how hard I tried.

Guys, there is definitely something off with the night lighting as I tried too tell before. Check these gifs out.

Dev build. It happened right after they added light shafts.

image.png

Stable build.

image.png

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

In screenshots.

Dev build.

thumb.png

Stable build.

thumb.png

You should make a video about this. Couldn't reproduce no matter how hard I tried.

Now I found what's the problem. It's the view distance. When it's between 1264m and 1894m that happens. Got no idea why :D

/Hmm those numbers can change little bit because now I got 1263m and 1990m but seems to be pretty close to the originals though.

Edited by St. Jimmy
edited exact numbers

I tried to replicate your scene as good as possible, please let me know if I missed something.

e: Ah, Jimmy found something, I should've refresh the page :o

haha. smurf, you are even using smurf blue inside arma 3 UI. and just now i "understood" your avatar :pet7:

RE my previous post about overcast affecting particle colouring: if anyone would like to throw a white smokeshell during an overcast day, they will see that it actually comes out dark grey.

Cloud coloration isn't entirely gone though.

9eNWq8d.jpg

It seems to be enabled on unofficial maps (e.g. TKOH Seattle).

not sure if this was reported before and how long this problem persists allready but in the actual dev build, the is a very irritatingly abrupt transition of aperture when suddenly looking directly into the sun.

@DMarkwick:

maybe that could be related to the intensity of the diffuse light that hits the sprite, beeing lower than under clear sky.

@kcske:

the clouds can be colored just like in tkoh, they just have a different color palette set up for stratis/altis lighting.

see here X)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153773-Lighting-tweaking&p=2382576&viewfull=1#post2382576

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

not sure if this was reported before and how long this problem persists allready but in the actual dev build, the is a very irritatingly abrupt transition of aperture when suddenly looking directly into the sun.

@DMarkwick:

maybe that could be related to the intensity of the diffuse light that hits the sprite, beeing lower than under clear sky.

@kcske:

the clouds can be colored just like in tkoh, they just have a different color palette set up for stratis/altis lighting.

see here X)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?153773-Lighting-tweaking&p=2382576&viewfull=1#post2382576

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been noticing it since lights shafts were added, very annoying. Please hotfix :cool:

I have noticed the shafts are way too much overdone in current dev branch. Please, make them subtle again. Also I have a feeling there is too much contrast in lighting now.

finally i would love to see the clouds blend over the horizonfog, its quite an imersion killer imho, maybe its not so hard to improve...

FCD375811F03A65951866081215FB697A9944B44

Yeah. That bugs me a lot too.

Doesn't fog colour affect horizon colour? Try changing that.

That's how I also believe because they're always same colored.

I can see that the clouds go over the blue "fog horizon" on the picture so likely that's what should be tweaked.

it has nothing to do with the color of the fog, it has to do with clouds blending over the horizontfog correctly.

no sure whether its only the horizot fog or also the horizont texture that does create this effect, but i guess its only the horizontfog, there must be an easy way to create a shader or something that will give better results?

another thing that would be a nice little feature was a gradient shader for the fog as well as the underwaterfog, i guess it would create much more believable underwater scenery with relateively a easy trick (i guess)

LightningVolt_Deep_Blue_Sea.jpg

Edited by Fabio_Chavez