Sign in to follow this  
Basxt

Discussion. Are some Effects not "real" enough?

Should Arma have more detailed effects? Like explosions/Bullet Impacts, etc.  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should Arma have more detailed effects? Like explosions/Bullet Impacts, etc.

• Yes! Greater explosions and better effects!
    • No! It's good as it is!

...this gives the term "video game" a new meaning.

Duno what that's supposed to mean.

Yes, it IS a video game

Make a ticket Opticalsnare.

Hopefully they can document the settings at least.

I can't wait for your magic ;)

Edited by EDcase

What I'd like to see is having more realistic wounds. I do like the new ragdolls, but still dissapointed to see that stepping on mines, being hit by a 50.cal or worse only adds a little blood, when in reality limbs would get torn off or in the very worst case there would be body parts, guts and blood decorating the whole place. None of the ArmA series has that, while VBS 2 does have dismembering.

If they had dissmemberment they would have to make ARMA3 an 18 rating and lose a lot of sales.

Hopefully we'll see a mod to 'fix' it ;)

Edited by EDcase

If they had dissmemberment they would have to make ARMA3 an 18 rating and lose a lot of sales.

I have news for you...the rating inn our days also consider modds that are openly available...thats because by now a lot of fromer gamers work for the rating agencies and the olds tricks don't work anymore like "patching it in later"...and ArmA3 is no niche product anymore thanks to Steam like ArmA II was before DayZ. Remember..BIS is a european developer that means nudity is no problem but gore is no go. (did you oveer looked under the hookers skirt before it got patched with undies after 1.56 Edited by Beagle

Those ratings really affect anything? Even more for a game like Arma where their target audience aren't kids at all and the main theme is war?

And, IMO, there is a difference between gore for fun\unnecessary\incentivated and when it's a side effect of what is happening. Feature vs just one more thing. GTA\MK vs RO. People just seems to accept the second one.

Anyway, Arma 3 most probably won't feature dismemberment (fuck, why I had to spell check that...?) but some more buckets of blood woulnd't hurt, right now everything is so steril that feels something is out of place.

Those ratings really affect anything? Even more for a game like Arma where their target audience aren't kids at all and the main theme is war?

And, IMO, there is a difference between gore for fun\unnecessary\incentivated and when it's a side effect of what is happening. Feature vs just one more thing. GTA\MK vs RO. People just seems to accept the second one.

Anyway, Arma 3 most probably won't feature dismemberment (fuck, why I had to spell check that...?) but some more buckets of blood woulnd't hurt, right now everything is so steril that feels something is out of place.

Dude I'ven been in places with dismemberment and cruhed people and I lost a finger myself and it is that "sterile". All the lakes of blood are hollywood...dead people do not bleed because there is no blood pressure and only a open aorta or a superficial head wound will spill blood like a fontain. And I really don't neet PTSD triggers from a game.

Buckets of blood was an exageration and I'm not asking for angle deep pools of blood but atm you can barely tell that someone was shot at a given place.

________

After some updates the rocket engine exhaust (or fire, if you will) looks bad, just 2 2D sprites put togheter and it's not nipticking as is clearly visible when you are using an AT or the AH-9. Maybe a LOD thing, as I don't remember it as beign bad on Alpha start.

Another aspect is that games tend to look not real anymore but instead look like all is seen thrue a CCD camera not a human eye. Bloom is an example because it only happens in a CCD camera. We coem to that point where games try to mimic YouTube videos and not the reality...but still seen as fully realistic because most players know war and explosions only by YouTube. it's the same with the Scope view discussion where people throw in YouTube videos showing that a CCD camera can focus on both with help of a little software and build in Multifocus sensors.... scope occular image with 6x magnification and the surounding environment. all sharp and clear...problem is...your natural unaugmented eyes can't do that.

Here's a tip, try looking with your eyes towards shiny surface while under direct sun, look for sun reflection. Ideally, look for windows and try to "bring" the reflection near the edge where wall starts (best to do this when sun is low). You should clearly see brights going over the edge, on the wall, it might not be as pronounced as on camera, but it's there. Of course, games usually try to simulate the camera, instead of eyes, often exaggerating it to make it appear more... dunno what really... shining cows?

Edited by Minoza

dunno what really... shining cows?

The shining cows were a result of the cow's diffuse map being too close to actual white. It was just an error in texture calibration, not a fault with the bloom engine itself. If the value of the texture is 1 out of 1, any light you add to it above nominal will make it overbright, causing HDR bloom.

I just want more violent explosions, from the frag grenade to the arty strikes, theyre too slow and bellowing, they need to be a huge "CRUMPH" with an instantaneous mud geyser and a smoke cloud, with more visible shrapnel and mud chunks flying about, limbs and vehicle parts too.

Shrapnel effects, random chance of dying within perimeter of hit, amount of hit damage taken (not necessarily instant death)

It would be for sure nice to see (and to hear) real shrapnels simulation instead of The Big Circle of Inevitable Doom. Of course when it comes to hundreds of rapidly spawned, flying fast and hitting objects, lags may be very difficult to avoid. In fact any randomization would be better than hardcoded amount of damage at given distance.

Edited by Rydygier

You mean the 17+ rating it has now?

But if it is to add gore it will get the horrible 18+!

All those poor 17 years olds not getting their ArmA3 for a year more. A lot of sales lost considering that the last poll we had here showed than an average ArmA player was 25 (although that was before DayZ)

Also Fallout 3 had gore and was rated Mature (but not AO)

Blood, murder and body parts aren't evil, it's the nipples that make ESRB go really hysterical.

Edited by metalcraze

Gore, DIY ... {rant: we in meanwhile will add some wasp and dubmledore insect and similar ;) }

"Gore, DIY"... maybe it's time for Bohemia to move to America! or at least have a studio here.

What the hell is a dubmledore insect? hahaha.

Is Op-snare seems to have the most experience with this I will default to him as the particle guru (seriously, hire that guy). But as for things that the "industry fans" are aware of (sorry a little off topic, drinking)... just watched a BF4 video and the announcers were so impressed by spectator mode. Really? spectator mode... I get it though, with twitch and youtube - I've become a very spectator viewer of Arma... which makes me a little sad, but on the other hand - Arma is a very community based game, friends - servers, etc., but not very drop in, drop out friendly - or single player friendly. So, off to create a quick play - multi-player - mod.... wish me luck! :)

it would be nice to get some exchange with the people actually working on the effects. unless particles aren't intended to be improved and tweaked based on feedback during alpha/beta for some reason. there are already some detailed suggestions.

anyways, i hope the effects will be worked on more. not because they are bad but because they seem unfinished and there's still a lot of room for improvement. as mentioned before. not everyone is requesting super realistic totally new explosions. the devil is in the details. the effects need several more passes to get them on the same level as the new models.

In one of their promos they said they had watched hundreds of hours of reference to get their grenade particles correct.

you forgot the part about sitting whole day motionless on meadow counting falling leafs from the tree line and measuring average flow of leafage ;)

Expect my job application as assistant leaf counter in the next couple of days! :yay:

In one of their promos they said they had watched hundreds of hours of reference to get their grenade particles correct.

i have to say that i really like the grenade effect. especially the smoke coming from the ground after the explosion. it's just awesome. it's also the explosion effect with the best timing so far. i also like the burning pieces of debris flying when a vehicle explodes. i'm seeing a trend of things being worked on with a lot of attention to detail. i just hope that BI has enough resources to keep working on the effects. they show a lot of potential.

The grenade effect is really good this time around, I would wish for some shrapnel to be added like it is in the ACE2 Mod.