Sign in to follow this  
S0L0

Gamepad Friendly Controls in Arma 3!!!

I don't think the goal would be to map everything to one gamepad, who here regularly uses everything? But the most often used controls, sure why not. I don't use a gamepad myself (apart from when I'm floating a buldozer camera around) but I can see that for general gameplay it might be useful. It's not like you have to throw your keyboard out the window :)

I agree, it's the flexibility with ARMA that lets you use the combination in any number of ways. The support of analog movement with the sticks makes walking/running feel more natural than pressing a key to me, but i do like the mouse for quicker accuracy.

I think for Arma3, the support for controllers would help if they do try to port to a console later, like the PS4/720 and have the use of additional inputs like on the WiiU/PSVita touchpad for many of the other controls.

I agree, it's the flexibility with ARMA that lets you use the combination in any number of ways. The support of analog movement with the sticks makes walking/running feel more natural than pressing a key to me, but i do like the mouse for quicker accuracy.

I think for Arma3, the support for controllers would help if they do try to port to a console later, like the PS4/720 and have the use of additional inputs like on the WiiU/PSVita touchpad for many of the other controls.

I don't mind using the keys but you're absolutely right that mapping the stick axis to Move in A2 rather than mapping it to WSAD with something like Xpadder is much better as it allows you to control the speed you move at much better. I'm not sure whether mapping the right stick in Arma to aim or using Xpadder to map it to the mouse is better though.

We have to watch that it deosn't go the wrong way though, like in Fallout or Skyrim the pad overrides the keyboard and mouse and you have to keep disconnecting the pad or quickly unclip the battery to get let the keyboard work.

I really hate not being able to use my mouse pad control and being forced into pad only, makes aiming a pain in the ass.

I will try and remember to provide my key map tonight. I've been playing since OFP days on PC & played Elite on XBOX. Since Armed Assault days I've been playing with mapping my X360 controller but never spend that much time on it to get it perfect. At this moment I feel pretty confident about my Infantry(FPS) & Vehicle controls.

Remember that you can set different actions for controls on foot, vehicle & flying.

My controls are pretty unconventional as I use the bumpers to strafe and the triggers to walk, but I can play more relaxed games like that. For COOP with a team I tend to go back to KB as I have to aim faster and more accurate. The thumb sticks aren't really the best way to aim in CQB. But for all the

But here is what I like to have fixed.

First of all, allow the same functionality for custom keys as for the Default X360 controls set with the icons included on screen and controls on interface items.

2. add controls to dialogs like the gear menu for controller usage.

Additional wishes & ideas/concepts:

3. find out a way to get the Middle X to be mappable for an additional key.

4. Double tap, Hold button & Button Combos (A+X) should be mappable too.

5. Different map situations; Walking, Aiming, Flying (Rotor/Fixed), Driving, Sailing.

6. Auto-look (not to be mistaken with auto-aim) with free-aim it's harder to get situational awareness, while moving thumbstick to look at a certain direction, check for possible points of interests and lock-on faster.

7. Action-menu control improvements, the perform default action key is already really useful but scrolling through or selecting a specific action can be improved.

8. Presets or configurable rules for changing key mapping on the fly is also useful not only for controllers.

The control customisation in A2 already allows for three action from a single button before you are doubling up. 1x 2x and hold down.

Actually that doesn't appear to be the case. I thought I might be able to map my joystick buttons directly instead of using Xpadder to map them to keys but it seems impossible in A2 config to map either 2xJoystickButtonx or Hold_JoystickButtonx and all I can do is map 1xJoystickButtonx, so if I want to make one button do more than one thing I have to use Xpadder and it's Release Zones (and one button mapped as a modifer to switch to a second set).

EDIT: In fact it doesn't seem possible to map Hold_Keyboard key either, at least it doesn't do anything when I hold a key down. All I can map is single press or 2x.

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

2. add controls to dialogs like the gear menu for controller usage.

That's my biggest niggle at the moment, as pretty much everthing else works quite well with the controller apart from the Gear screen, for which I need to use the mouse (using a stick mapped to the mouse is just too slow and fiddly for this).

Additional wishes & ideas/concepts:

3. find out a way to get the Middle X to be mappable for an additional key.

I'm fairly sure that's not possible as it's not a proper button (just a power-on/sync with receiver button) and doesn't even register in Windows as one.

4. Double tap, Hold button & Button Combos (A+X) should be mappable too.

I was actually surprised this isn't already possible (at least 2x and Hold) as this is possible with the keyboard keys, so it seems strange it isn't available for joystick buttons as well.

Edited by doveman

Choice is good. I personally would never use a gamepad, but as long as its implementation doesnt interfere with k&m combo I dont mind (most PC ports today are not good..). And as long as it doesnt take time from BIS that should be used on more important features...

No doubt more people use joysticks for flying than controllers for infantry but some of the changes needed (i.e. being able to map 2x and Hold for joystick buttons) will benefit both. I certainly don't think controller/joystick features should be considered unimportant and low-priority.

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

I don't know if there's already any similar tickets but I've started one here https://dev-heaven.net/issues/43092 if anyone wants to vote for it.

Hi, i think that add "automatized actions" would improve alot the game play making less keys be needed to perform an action; for example... when you get close (like 0'5m) to a vehicle's side... then actions related to that particular vehicle side appear on the actions menu, for you to scroll up or down with the mouse, that would improve the thing IMO. Let's C ya

No, and that's the problem with most games today. They make them all for consoles and controllers, and people with consoles and controllers don't know what they're missing, so it all carrys over onto the PC ports.

Bohemia Interactive seems to be the only company in the world, that is doing it right.

Also, to OP, if you feel the need to play with a controller, you're playing the wrong game.

Bohemia Interactive seems to be the only company in the world, that is doing money with PC exclusives.

As for gamepad. I've seen the OPF Elite gameplay vids, so you wait for target to cross your sights to shoot it, instead to move the sights on it?

This is what I play ArmA with

http://videogames.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/retro-nes-usb-controller_1.jpg

Moving left and right like a boss. :blues:

And the forward movement key makes you jump like a boss. :D

Edited by Psychomorph

well, bosses just like their definitions/title suggest did't do things.

they had different people for that ;)

but strictly-speaking, more fine-tuning for analog sticks would be nice[including gamepads of that variety] -)

More options regarding imput devices is always a good thing (at least as long as it doesn't hurt the way established imput devices can be used - namely gamepad optimized menues are sometimes a real pain to use with mouse and keyboard).

However, I can only see two reasons why someone would prefer a gamepad/analog stick over a mouse for aiming in 1st/3rd person games:

1. One cannot use a mouse at all or not without getting hurt (typewriter's cramp for example).
  2. One has learnt to play 1st/3rd person games on a system where no mouse was aviable, thus one has simply more training in using a gamepad for such tasks.

If you're one of the later I suggest switching to use a mouse. Of course it will take some time and training to make the change - but it will be worth it! :) If you don't want to completely get rid of the gamepad, try using it in your off-hand as Liquidpinky does (sounds like something I might try myself one day).

Seriously, this is not something abut "PC elitism" or so! In fact a strenght of the PC as a gaming platform is that one is able to use a verry wide variety of input devices (from mouse & keyboard to joystiks to gamepads to TrackIR and so on), therefore a PC Elitist would overly proud state that he uses "whatever device fits best to the task!!!11". I use gamepads for some games too, but for aiming in 1st person/3rd Person games, the mouse is simply a better imput device than a analog stick.

PS: Oh and as far as I remember the default settings for mouse acceleration in ArmA2 are way to high wich results in a somewhat strange behaviour of the aiming. I recommend turning mouse acceleration way down/off.

what i brilliant butt-hurt, thanks for you efforts ! :P *laugh*

its not about "PC ELitism", ironically/sadly, but about "What is best device to do job?" question obviously and millions devices/setups/solutions of millions consumers/corporations/families experience clearly SHOW what and why are winner.

modern, fast/precise PC mouses are LIGHT-YEARS-AHEAD of anything else creating to control consumers PC

personally i would warmly welcome Trackballs improvements too, slowed nearly to crawl last decade, cause in high-intense workflow they both accurate and less energy-consuming/less-dangerous[for health]. and/or track-pad and anything else.

and for carried/wearable devices something more appropriate would b warmly welcomed aswell. sadly there is almost NO efforts on thats ways, last two decades :(( even most glasses and wearable/3D mices shut-down mostly in R&D stage :(

point is: unless someone create something BETTER, we're[or at least majority of us. free from masochistic motives/agenda/impulses]use what we're found BEST-suited for use. thanks for you efforts to brainwash/subvert/thwart/override/manipulate public opinion on that topic/Subj, however.

Nazi clowns from space applauds you efforts, for sure, but you need to master you Manipulation/Rhetoric skill HARDER, obviously.

Edited by BasileyOne

Playing ArmA with a controller would be like driving a car with your tongue.

yeah using the joypad for infantry combat in arma 2 is ridiculous...

however like with battlefield 3, i switch to my xbox joypad for using planes and helicopters. It so much more natural and smooth controlling the aerial vehicles with the dual analougue sticks. Flying a jet with a keyboard, feels almost as stupid and as un-natural to me as trying to play infantry in arma 2 with a control pad.

i tend to have my 360 pad on my lap then grab it as soon as im in a helicopter / jet. can easily map all the required keys to the pad. Really hope i can do the same with arma 4. I dont have the funds for a decent joystick, and the 360 pad is a brilliant and cheap alternative (as a side note, they are proving damn handy things to have on a pc at the moment. most new games seem to have auto configs set up as soon as it detects a 360 pad built in).

yeah using the joypad for infantry combat in arma 2 is ridiculous...

however like with battlefield 3, i switch to my xbox joypad for using planes and helicopters. It so much more natural and smooth controlling the aerial vehicles with the dual analougue sticks. Flying a jet with a keyboard, feels almost as stupid and as un-natural to me as trying to play infantry in arma 2 with a control pad.

i tend to have my 360 pad on my lap then grab it as soon as im in a helicopter / jet. can easily map all the required keys to the pad. Really hope i can do the same with arma 4. I dont have the funds for a decent joystick, and the 360 pad is a brilliant and cheap alternative (as a side note, they are proving damn handy things to have on a pc at the moment. most new games seem to have auto configs set up as soon as it detects a 360 pad built in).

its about two things in specs:

1. precision. which is analog sticks lacks[and digital didn't had at all], compared presently[to decent mices like G9x, CM Storm, Razer Coperhead II, Saitek Cyborg mk2[non-Philps IC/sensor],A4 X7 and etc.

2. decent IC/controller/firmware on-board/built-in. resulted device/peripheral reaction time wasn't satisfying in anything more or less -demanding :[

and "in general" amount of seriousness in design approach is scary :[

p.s.

basically enfluence/pressure of LBGT "TV warriors on the couch/sofa", gamepad-usage-encumbered generation within LBGT-lobby of corporation from Redmond is main reason, why Microsoft deployed Metro in Windows 8[otherwise quite interesting product, which bring many reasonable and long-awaited improvements], and why they insisted on making this default and further crippling UI customisation caps of customers. those filthy evil pricks things suffering of rest within installbase can make them feel better. but in reality, others will Faster, Smarter, Better.

Edited by BasileyOne

Last time I checked the game has all sorts of vehicles. Flying a helo with m&k doesn't feel right to me.

Last time I checked the game has all sorts of vehicles. Flying a helo with m&k doesn't feel right to me.

I agree. But suprisingly it can be verry effective as this prominent example shows:

KHEOp75doYs

I prefer to use a joystik though.

I just compared flying a helo with my joystick and using the arrow keys and it's much harder with the joystick as Arma's sensitivity controls don't seem to work properly. With the keyboard I can bank quite sharply without much effort (a few taps of the key or hold it) but with the joystick, even with the sensitivity on high I seem to have to move it almost all the way to the left or right. The sensitivity setting does make a difference but it seems just too oversensitive on High and even then it seem to take longer for the helo to respond to my input than with the keyboard.

What I've done now is just map WSAD to my joystick with Xpadder and unmapped the axis from bank/pitch in Arma and it's much easier to fly with the joystick now (not necessarily any easier than with the keyboard but not worse at least and it's easier using my joystick/throttle as I have easy access to lots of buttons without taking my hands off the controls).

So yeah, basically Arma's joystick function is pretty rubbish and you're better off just mapping the keys to your joystick!

Edited by doveman

I agree. But suprisingly it can be verry effective as this prominent example shows:

I prefer to use a joystik though.

The controls for aircraft for keyboard and mouse are perfect in ArmA, the joystick can never be competitive here due to twitchy-ness and precision of the mouse, well not in ArmA anyway. Plus you duplicate your controls on the WASD, which are used for general maneuvering, while the mouse is for precision aiming.

The controls for aircraft for keyboard and mouse are perfect in ArmA, the joystick can never be competitive here due to twitchy-ness and precision of the mouse, well not in ArmA anyway. Plus you duplicate your controls on the WASD, which are used for general maneuvering, while the mouse is for precision aiming.

I don't really find that perfect at all, mainly because it seems far more natural and easier to use my joystick/throttle to adjust the collective with one hand and the bank/pitch with the other. With the keyboard, using WSAD and QZ, I'm trying to do both with one hand which just messes with my head and of course I have to move my finger off A to press Q or Z, so it's not at all good trying to steer and adjust collective at the same time.

Since my last post I've tried mapping the joystick to the mouse with Xpadder rather than WSAD and that works a lot better I think. Mapping the joystick to WSAD was still too overresponsive and twitchy and I can adjust the sensitivity of the "mouse" in Xpadder to tweak it to suit, which helps. Ultimately though, BIS needs to fix up Arma so that the joystick works properly. I certainly think my joystick is twitchy and precise enough as I can monitor it in Xpadder and can see the output change in small increments in response to small movements.

I don't really find that perfect at all, mainly because it seems far more natural and easier to use my joystick/throttle to adjust the collective with one hand and the bank/pitch with the other. With the keyboard, using WSAD and QZ, I'm trying to do both with one hand which just messes with my head and of course I have to move my finger off A to press Q or Z, so it's not at all good trying to steer and adjust collective at the same time.

Set a temporary course with the mouse while adjusting the Q/Z throttle - micromanagement makes perfect.

Set a temporary course with the mouse while adjusting the Q/Z throttle - micromanagement makes perfect.

It's more about being able to wack the collective up quickly to get enough lift to avoid crashing into a tree/hill, or dropping it down quickly when slowing down to avoid gaining loads of altitude. Certainly with my joystick/throttle I find it a lot easier to do these things than when I've tried with the M&KB. Of course, there's only one set of sensitivity adjustments in Arma for the mouse as well, so I can't use different settings to suit infantry and helos.

If you want better helicopter controls then change your scheme to "analogue", the collective loses it's 100% authority and the aircraft is more effected by it's motions, IE giving the tiniest bit of collective upon takeoff isn't going to lift the aircraft, you actually have to give it enough and then maintain that with the cyclic. The tradeoff is that the helicopter becomes more responsive, if you're cruising at level and pitch back then the aircraft will rise without any collective input, likewise if you pitch downward. Every motion is taken into account and at first it feels more difficult, but over time you get used to it and mostly having to rely on collective input only during hover or low speeds.

Another thing to remember is that you should think ahead of your current reaction, especially if you have a good deal of inertia behind you, the best way I've heard is "These things WANT to crash, you must convince them not to", and that is going to be double the case if A3 has many attributes from TKOH's flight model and aerodynamics such as getting caught in your own downward, unloading the rotor, overspeed, overtorque and more.

Edited by NodUnit