Sign in to follow this  
S0L0

Gamepad Friendly Controls in Arma 3!!!

I like the fact that Arma 2 has built in support for the Xbox 360 Controller however it doesn't seem like the developers put enough effort into fine tuning gameplay for gamepads. You definitely need to spend a good amount of time configuring the game's controls on the gamepad yet the customization option doesn't seem to work properly. I am well aware that Arma has too many functions to be crammed into a gamepad but it would be nice if Bohemia Interactive put more effort into streamlining Arma 3's core gameplay mechanics to be more easily accessible with gamepads.

Anyway the point of this thread is to draw attention to the issue for those of us who enjoy playing Arma with gamepads and hopefully get some feedback from Bohemia Interactive.

Thank You,

U mad?

Are you seriously playing ArmA II with a gamepad? I'd like to know what scenarios are you running and if you're limited to infantry only by lack of controls, I'm genuinely interested. ROFL

ARMA is far too complex to have all of its controls mapped to a gamepad, it struggles enough with a keyboard.

OFP Elite has shown that its very possible. There havent been complaints from the console players back then from what I remember.

In addition quite some people seem to use a gamepad for driving or air units.

@S0L0

You need to be more specific about the issues you experience and things you want to see improved.

TBH, tactical gameplay like that doesn't fit a gamepad too well. While I'm against simplifying AIII, I'd be glad to see it more streamlined. I've made some suggestions in menu thread that could help with this, though I was mostly thinking of making the lives of keyboard users easier. I don't know what you mean by customization options not working properly, but I did find them less than perfect in AII. The interface is somewhat clumsy, and it seems as it can't tell axes from buttons (the game can, but you can't tell from the interface), adding to confusion.

It may work for driving, etc, I suppose. I'd feel sorry for BIS wasting their time on this though.

overworked developers

OFP Elite has shown that its very possible.

I wouldn't be so sure

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_Elite_Controller_Layout

OFP is one thing. There are not enough buttons for ArmA2 with its leaning, clocks, inventories, lights, command/HC menus, safety for weapons, stepping over, switching optics and so on.

In fact there are not enough buttons on keyboard for ArmA2 either :rolleyes: (no way to switch weapons fast like in ZOMG arcade shooters so you have to hit that F key all the time)

Edited by metalcraze

I don't think that's a troll. Some people who are used to gamepad may prefer that for basic controls. Of course, gamepads don't have enough buttons for command and some other advanced options, but this can be worked around by supplementing a gamepad with keyboard controls for less critical actions.

Gamepad + voice recognition would probably work.

Although even i can't imagine to use a Gamepad for ArmA, the point is legit and should be handled as such. So either you have something valuable to add or you just ignore this topic. End of line.

OFP Elite has shown that its very possible. There havent been complaints from the console players back then from what I remember.

I own OFP: Elite (bought it back when it came out because I didn't have a computer that could run CWC)

I can confirm that the game actually worked pretty decent on a controller.

I play ArmA 2 everyday with the XBOX 360 controller with zero issues. A friend also uses his 360 controller but has an application called XPADDER which basically allows the player to custom map the many buttons on the controller.

The keyboard is still a necessary tool but only for very few functions and those functions are ones that are needed/executed at less frantic moments and not directly 'in the moment' game play situations. With 20 Basic buttons on the 360 controller its a great peripheral for shooters especially gamers like myself that have moved over to ArmA from console games (never to return). XPADDER can use one of these buttons as a SHIFT key and you could now have 40!!

Just my 2 cents for those looking to try a game pad or controller :)

I prefer M&KB myself (with a proper joystick for aircraft) but my friends sometimes play LAN games with me using my TV from the sofa and they only like using the controller (and to be honest, it's not much fun trying to use a M&KB on your lap!) so I've spent some time knocking up a usable layout with Xpadder. I've run into a few problems, such as not being able to toggle GPS as Ctrl+M seems to get sent as M+Ctrl so doesn't work but it's mostly OK. I also use VAC to take care of any functions that don't fit on the controller (it's much better even in single-player using VAC to control the AI) and of course in a lot of Co-Op games there's no AI to control, making using a controller even without VAC much more feasible.

Anyway, I've uploaded the mappings I'm currently using in case anyone can use them as a starting point (that's not meant to be a smiley next to the "Talk Direct" by the way, I just couldn't delete some wrong text as it went over the controller image).

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2140/armaii360controllerset1.png (999 kB)

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/1650/armaii360controllerset2.png (970 kB)

A lot of the controls in Set 2 are the same as Set 1, just to stop it getting too complicated but you could obviously map them to other functions if that suits.

The "Hold" functions are actually setup in Xpadder as Release Zones, so if the button is released after less than 0.5s it does the first function and if it's released after longer than that it does the second function.

The D-pad is used to control the action menus but I tend to put a wireless mouse on the sofa for my friends as it's quicker to use the scroll wheel and buttons on that (it's also useful for the Gear screen as that rather annoyingly doesn't allow you to use W&S or the scroll wheel to move through the list and whilst I've got the mouse cursor mapped to stick 2 in Set 2 that's a bit fiddly). I also put a wireless keyboard next to them just in case it's needed but it's generally not.

For flying, I've just set up one stick to control the cyclic/pitch/bank and the other to control the collective/rudder.

I use the X360 controller in my left hand for movement and mouse in my right for aiming and then take a hand off one of them to use the keyboard at less critical times. I would like to use both controller sticks for the game, but the right stick for aiming doesn't feel as responsive for me on the PC like it does on a console.

I have mostly been a console player and finally got a rig that can run A2:CO and like the feel of more natural movement with the controller and would like to use it exclusively or with the keyboard for the extra commands.

@ricogs400, I know there's supposed to be a difference between having the right stick mapped to the mouse (using Xpadder/GlovePIE), which is then mapped (by default) in Arma's controls to aim and mapping the stick axis directly in Arma to aim, so you could try both methods to see if one works better for you.

With the first method you'd obviously tweak the mouse sensitivity settings on the controls screen to suit and for the second method, adjust the sensitivity for the right stick axis' under Controllers.

I use the X360 controller in my left hand for movement and mouse in my right for aiming and then take a hand off one of them to use the keyboard at less critical times. I would like to use both controller sticks for the game, but the right stick for aiming doesn't feel as responsive for me on the PC like it does on a console.

I have mostly been a console player and finally got a rig that can run A2:CO and like the feel of more natural movement with the controller and would like to use it exclusively or with the keyboard for the extra commands.

I use the same setup, only ever reaching to the keyboard for text chat or issuing orders to my squad. Most of which I still do with the right hand side of the controller like a big plastic finger anyway.

No, and that's the problem with most games today. They make them all for consoles and controllers, and people with consoles and controllers don't know what they're missing, so it all carrys over onto the PC ports.

Bohemia Interactive seems to be the only company in the world, that is doing it right.

Also, to OP, if you feel the need to play with a controller, you're playing the wrong game.

I've seen a few people say they do that but I don't see how it works as then you can't use half the controller, so you'd have to keep taking your hand off the mouse to press a button (on the controller or keyboard) for reload, crouch, prone, change weapon, which seems like it wouldn't work very well.

I've seen a few people say they do that but I don't see how it works as then you can't use half the controller, so you'd have to keep taking your hand off the mouse to press a button (on the controller or keyboard) for reload, crouch, prone, change weapon, which seems like it wouldn't work very well.

Not really, my G700 mouse has far far more buttons than the right hand side of the controller can ever dream of.

Not really, my G700 mouse has far far more buttons than the right hand side of the controller can ever dream of.

The G700 only seems to have 9 buttons other than LMB, RMB and Scroll-click, so hardly "far far more" than the seven on the right-hand side of the controller (excluding the right-trigger, which is LMB/Fire). I personally find it a lot harder trying to remember what all those buttons on a mouse do, compared to the more distinctively laid out buttons on a controller (or the clearly marked keys on a keyboard). I guess you can probably use something like GlovePIE or Autohotkey to make the mouse buttons send different keys depending on how long they're depressed for or use one as a modifier, as I've done with the controller but it's a lot easier with Xpadder.

The G700 only seems to have 9 buttons other than LMB, RMB and Scroll-click, so hardly "far far more" than the seven on the right-hand side of the controller (excluding the right-trigger, which is LMB/Fire). I personally find it a lot harder trying to remember what all those buttons on a mouse do, compared to the more distinctively laid out buttons on a controller (or the clearly marked keys on a keyboard). I guess you can probably use something like GlovePIE or Autohotkey to make the mouse buttons send different keys depending on how long they're depressed for or use one as a modifier, as I've done with the controller but it's a lot easier with Xpadder.

G700 has four thumb, three to left of wheel, wheel has back forward left and right as well as push down and there is also RMB and LMB and one behind the wheel. All customisable.

For infantry for example I would use RMB and LMB to alter my stances with stand, crouch and prone capable over a two button setup.

Thumb buttons are 2x to ADS/hold to zoom, Sprint/evasive forward 2x to vault obstacle, zoom out, zoom in 2x to switch optic mode.

Top extra buttons are purely for zeroing sights up and down.

Mousewheel remains mousewheel menu, push down to reload.

Controller setup is L2 trigger is fire, L1 is raise lower weapon. Analogue stick for movement, push down to sit.

Back is map, select is GPS (which I can still hit with my thumb).

Digital stick is action menu with accept and back, back doubles up with change fire mode and accept with default action.

The only button I have on the other side is Y for eject and exit vehicle. Old GTA habits die hard.

I only ever use the left stick in tanks as it is easier to constantly traverse the turret with a stick versus doing it with a mouse.

The control customisation in A2 already allows for three action from a single button before you are doubling up. 1x 2x and hold down.

The control customisation in A2 already allows for three action from a single button before you are doubling up. 1x 2x and hold down.

Thanks for explaining your config. I forgot that A2 allows for three actions on a single button, so I might modify my controller setup somewhat by using that rather than Xpadder's mapping for some things (especially things like Rctrl+M for GPS which Xpadder seems incapable of sending properly). To try and keep things simple I've been trying to have the same A2 keyboard setup on my main machine (which I use M&KB on) and my spare machine (which my friends use the controller on) and then map the controller to those keys with Xpadder but it might be better to map the controller buttons directly.

Thanks for explaining your config. I forgot that A2 allows for three actions on a single button, so I might modify my controller setup somewhat by using that rather than Xpadder's mapping for some things (especially things like Rctrl+M for GPS which Xpadder seems incapable of sending properly). To try and keep things simple I've been trying to have the same A2 keyboard setup on my main machine (which I use M&KB on) and my spare machine (which my friends use the controller on) and then map the controller to those keys with Xpadder but it might be better to map the controller buttons directly.

Just remember to turn on your wireless pad before firing up A2 or the config gets lost when you exit out, unless you alt tab out and shut A2 down through task manager.

Just remember to turn on your wireless pad before firing up A2 or the config gets lost when you exit out, unless you alt tab out and shut A2 down through task manager.

Yeah thanks. Using Xpadder helps me to avoid that as if the pad isn't on it doesn't show in Xpadder when I launch that so it reminds me ;)