Sign in to follow this  
^Th0mas^

Why the silence in marketing this game?

Isnt the game supposed be released early next year? Why the silence? We havent heard much since E3, and E3 was a huge disappoint IMO. It didnt gave us a chance to look at the AI at all. Just some features here and there.

A company markets it product when it's at a wide audience marketable state.

As the core user group, WE THE COMMUNITY!!!1!!two!! get more bits and pieces of info, then the masses. It's true that the importance of a feature or presentation is relative to one's interest in a certain aspect of the games, thus, accordingly, vis-a-vis were gonna get'sum when it's ready.

Edited by Maio
The H

Well if you know one video they haven't released on YouTube is of an infantry and it was 2+ weeks since the last one.

I guess they don't want us to whine about how AI hasn't changed just yet

I like that BIS spend their money on developing the game instead of hyping it.

And you don't really need advertisement. Look at DayZ. Massive sales with 0 marketing.

GamesCon is when?

I think that at this point, there's little, if anything new to show.

As we can see, 2012 E3 demos were basically the same as of 2011 E3, and some features from Arma2 OA were still promoted, while we have been using them for years now, like the FLIR etc.

And probably we will get the same exact demos in GC, maybe done in different places.

What I mean is, probably, things aren't going as well as BI wanted, or had plans for, a year ago.

Like the PhysX implementation, if we will actually still gonna have it, BI actually had plans to release the game with an Old and Not supported version, meaning that, we were going to get something already outdated.

I know the announcement about using the newst version, but hell, this was very disappointing, actually thinking of implementing something Outdated.

So, I think BI should really release the minimum info possible, until they know they can actually deliver!

Edited by neokika

I'd like to see some Lemnos demos at GC. Stratis is nice and all but I miss that Lemnos scenery.

Is it official that ArmA 3 will be at Gamescon this year?

My thoughts on your question:

If there's nothing to market, it's no use to do marketing.

Arma3 isn't finished and if you can't keep momentum in your "marketing campaign" it won't reach full effect.

Further on, the best marketing for arma 3 is arma 2 and the dayZ mod that creates a lot of product awareness.

What more could you wish then preparing a new game while the old version is still a big hit; is revived and reaching a new public, more public then marketing the upcomming title ever would be able to?

people arent stupid, if the game is good, they will come.

Don't underestimate people's stupidity ;) quick example, I work in a sports stadium in Ireland, on your ticket it gives you the row (G)your seat is at, and its number (9)

People come and ask me where to go, I say "go down to row G and turn right and its 5 seats across"

The reply "show me I don't know where that is"

It isn't that hard to find G written in yellow writing and 9 on a seat, when you're told its direction...

In my judgement, the silence is intended to avoid creating many unwanted expectations. Moreover, BIS has proven through all these years that they don't need to set up a 'classic' marketing campaign.

Concerning the AI, don't expect ArmA III to be having something similar to what has been carried out so far by the community for ArmA II (TPW, ASR, GL3...). Obviously, many changes have been carried out in these regards, but basing myself on what I have seen so far the last years. I would take all this with a pinch of hindsight. ;]

Regards,

TB

GamesCon is when?

it's 15.-19.08.2012

I'd like to see some Lemnos demos at GC. Stratis is nice and all but I miss that Lemnos scenery.

Absolutely! Stratis is indeed a very nice and detailed island but Lemnos is just a whole new deal. For the nostalgia you can check out this huge album I made with pictures from Limnos, Stratis and similar places, if you want :)

I am just hoping arma3 doesnt screw us over, like crytek did with crysis 2...

I'm okay with the marketing and the things I get from BIS. The trailers, report-ins, behind the scenes and stuff really do show what the features are about, not just hype the game for now reason.

For example look what other games give their community:

0QP3_8y8uzk

Basically what they are doing here is throw big names (from Hollywood) at you trying to impress you. Don't get me wrong, that music guy certainly has the talent and experience to do a good game soundtrack (for the writer it depends if he gets the difference between writing a game and writing a movie), but you do not learn much about the game and how it works from this trailer. There are other trailers. Some of them talk a bit about the story (they don't tell much though), the others are more like this one, telling you that this game will be even more epic than the last one but don't show much detail about it. (Oh, and if you preorder now, you will get that map that they will sell later on as a DLC :rolleyes:).

Maybe there is more on the official site or in their forums, I don't know. But compare that trailer to one from BIS:

mIwfS8uJJIk

You get way more info about how the game will be, what they have improved, how they improved it and what the effects are. They don't hide their game behind "epic marketing".

EDIT: fixed Youtube liks.

I am just hoping arma3 doesnt screw us over, like crytek did with crysis 2...

is very hard pratically Crytek has shitted in the face over his userbase, BIS has taken a right decision to showing the improvements (the gameplay is a really more fluent) and the future scenario. His target market is not a casual gamer but adult gamer with the high end hardware.

I would love to see more vids and stills flow from the development but alot of the work going into A3 is under the hood so not visible in imagery.

Those 'other' games are becoming too cinematic and less interesting as games.

Just like a movie with some interactive bits that are too similar; ie. sequences of shooting pop-up targets.

To be honest the community isn't always getting the info first hand.

It's more common that there's an interview, then people have to translate it. Almost all the times when there's anything new said about how things are delayed/removed/changed.

For example, nothing was said when the game got a long delay. It was suddenly just changed on the www.ArmA3.com website, then heard in an interview. Nothing here.

They do know what the community want I presume, but there's a slight lack of communication between the devs and forums. Considering people check in here every day.

I mean, the game is going to get bought, so why not list all the things like vehicles/weapons/objects that people are here for instead of making this place full of people guessing what they're waiting for?

If one of the vehicles gets removed from the game, remove it from the list, then announce it. It's better to discuss what's being worked on, rather than discussing things that only maybe will be in the game.

I might also have lost the point of this post, but there's still some logic in it I believe.

This is all great but lets not kid ourselves into thinking the AI will be any better than what we find in Arma2. What we have in Arma3 are better graphics and physics, everything else however will be just as shit as it always has been. Don't believe me? Just wait and see...

This is all great but lets not kid ourselves into thinking the AI will be any better than what we find in Arma2. What we have in Arma3 are better graphics and physics, everything else however will be just as shit as it always has been. Don't believe me? Just wait and see...

But improving Physics (with PhysX) will probably improve the way AI interacts with its environment, pathfinding, geometry interactions with AI, etc.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Interestingly enough, there was a full page sweaty man-face ad from the Arma 2 cover at Rockpapershotgun.com just some days ago.(Perhaps due to the popularity of Dayz)

I don't know who wouldn't want to buy Arma after seeing this face. You could see the core values of the Arma series: sweaty faces and guys staring blankly into space. Money well spent.

Edited by sparks50

Have bi ever had massive marketing campaign? Not sure but i dont ever recall one. Its better than most other game makers who make trailers that look fantastic and then the game sucks a fat one and never looks like the actual trailer.

Not to appear to be a wanton fanboy or anything - but if you think the ArmA AI is shit, then you don't really know what you're talking about :) perhaps you mean they're not... orchestrated enough? :)

Have bi ever had massive marketing campaign? Not sure but i dont ever recall one. Its better than most other game makers who make trailers that look fantastic and then the game sucks a fat one and never looks like the actual trailer.

Or even looks like the Alpha and Beta for that matter.