Sign in to follow this  
BF2X

Does jogging and running seem odd?

Different movement for SF and regular soldiers is obviously possible but I would have to, provided i get proper donation from the community :D, extend my working hours by 6 (so that i reach 20h/day at most days) and even with that I wouldnt be sure if i could pull these sets out myself :)

Everything is a matter of resources and time available. So these kinds of things will always be categorized as nice to have.

However, the skill slider isnt that bad idea at all. As for players: the new, tacticool movements are already a little bit more difficult to master and may take some practice - i consider this always as a good filter between "regular" and "SF"-class players.

Different movement for SF and regular soldiers is obviously possible but I would have to, provided i get proper donation from the community ....However, the skill slider isnt that bad idea at all..

That would be sweet - varied animtions between skilled soldiers and untrained milita -oh boy. Maybe time to start Kickstarter for extra features :rolleyes:

That sounded like an excellent idea to me. Would make that feature quite useful compared to what it is now.

what's all this with the Arma 3 soldiers animations look like SF/elite/ navy seals soldiers? In Sweden all "normal infantry" practice and perform these movements/positions during his basic training. Its basic combat movements? If you think this is so only "elite soldier " is moving, then I wonder how your normal soldiers are practice in your countries?

So i love the new animation :)

I more hope for more AI tactics,

Edited by Zsalheden

Just getting from ArmA 2's movement animations to those seen in the recent media coverage is a huge milestone, and it's hardly our position to tell you to do the equivalent of another entire set Smookie. :D Reducing some of the advanced peeking/leaning stances depending on the AI's skill slider sounds like a really simple immersion booster, just so it's a bit less jarring when you see the lesser trained enemies/allies moving around under contact.

Obviously mods will address stuff like additional animations post-launch I'm sure, just as your animations pack for ArmA 2 did. Thanks for all the hard work thus far!

well heres my 2 pence worth, hoping that some devs will take it as feedback...

The new animations look good and im sure they will be useful. It looks like the head bob is turned down or off in the e3 footage, as long as head bob is still included thats cool. The only thing that is really bothering me is the transition from the end of one animation to the beggining of the next is still a little Jerky and instantanious. I thought animations where going to blend in to each other. The only other thing although less important is when the charactor is entering a vehicle there is no animation and it just teleports.

Edited by freeman83

As for players: the new, tacticool movements are already a little bit more difficult to master and may take some practice - i consider this always as a good filter between "regular" and "SF"-class players.

Sounds great. To actually be a kick ass SF dude you need practise to master all the stances and moves. You will spot noob-prey easily on the battlefield. :D

Headbob: I think BIS said they werent taking out anything - only adding. Apart from changing the anim system and such which needs to be replaced - aka throw out the old.

Different movement for SF and regular soldiers is obviously possible but I would have to, provided i get proper donation from the community :D, extend my working hours by 6 (so that i reach 20h/day at most days) and even with that I wouldnt be sure if i could pull these sets out myself :)

Everything is a matter of resources and time available. So these kinds of things will always be categorized as nice to have.

However, the skill slider isnt that bad idea at all. As for players: the new, tacticool movements are already a little bit more difficult to master and may take some practice - i consider this always as a good filter between "regular" and "SF"-class players.

Well, aside from the expected bug hunting/reporting, first thing on my list for the Alpha (or PACA) is to master those anims :p Is it possible to code in AI behavior as to what anims are used? Like, maybe for the SF AI units, code in a greater likelihood of them using the tactical pace, for example, where as the regular forces wouldn't use it? Maybe, if that's possible, then you'd only have the SF units being "tacticool" (speaking of which, I wonder what the Iranian SF guys look like. Unit 400 would be awesome).

The only thing I care about is not dying while sprinting up the stairs...

I don't see any special forces tactical specific anims apart from maybe slow walk with weapon raised... Maybe apart from lying on back shooting through legs what actual animation shown is considered "special forces specific" that anyone would not use in battle such as moving while crouched, leaning, ducking etc

Interesting discussions here. I've been away for some time so I haven't been keeping an eye on this thread. To the people asking me how would I walk if I wore heavy equipment along with heavy weapons...Well, I sure wouldn't walk quickly. A slow pace conserves stamina just in-case you need that stamina for one of those serpentine moments. A quick pace will wear you down very quickly, I myself have experienced this with carrying over 60 pounds of camping equipment. You take your time getting from point A to point B so as I said before, just in-case you get into an accident you'll have enough energy to get out of that predicament.

Maybe BIS can make it to where the skill slider of an AI or player affects their speed of reloading and movement type. The new animations are great and a big S/O to Smookie for his awesome skills! - But as stated earlier, I wouldn't want to see normal soldiers moving as tactical as a SF person. - It wouldn't make the SF person that special :P

I hope in the Future there will be a "Stance Set" by BIS, where for instance guerrilla armies, civillians and other units we consider *not SF/HiFI-Military trained* have a more or less "normal" Stance Set. Not Super-Tactical tilted front and so on.

Still such units should be able to do all those Super-Prone/Crouch/crouch-Seat/etc when desired.

Cheers

Maybe apart from lying on back shooting through legs

Agreed with the rest of your post.

Taught to civilian classes, never mind military and "Special forces tactics" is for the general purpose quite bull. They conduct a lot of the same tactics with modifications for their role, kit, insert list of 1,000 factors. Of course, the way they do things is at a different quality level - they use certain techniques regular troops don't - they're on a different level.

Here's a SEAL actually teaching it:

It's pretty much like the topic asking for better AI - within it people discuss SF vs regulars and how minimal changes.

Rye! Good sir! I was looking for this particular demonstration the very second there had been mention of it in the first E3 demo.

For everybody else - relax, this SF ballet dancing is only usable if you choose to, since there's a modifier key prior to every action, and it's going to be left CTRL I think.

Watch this,

vklOq6KFQy4

Agreed with the rest of your post.

Taught to civilian classes, never mind military and "Special forces tactics" is for the general purpose quite bull. They conduct a lot of the same tactics with modifications for their role, kit, insert list of 1,000 factors. Of course, the way they do things is at a different quality level - they use certain techniques regular troops don't - they're on a different level.

Here's a SEAL actually teaching it:

It's pretty much like the topic asking for better AI - within it people discuss SF vs regulars and how minimal changes.

He's actually a former SEAL (as in, not active duty). But, dude, I want that gear in-game! Guy looks like a badass.

Yeahh it looks like that guy has something up his ass ^^

aahaha that's exactly what I thought...I guess and I hope it's not the final version...

Btw all the others new animations are perfect...just this run animation it's a bit...strange

1) The running/walking animations look a little strange

2) You guys need to calm your Special Ops boners down a bit. Most of the forces in this game have some form of standardized training and therefore most of your forces will follow the same basic principles. The difference between regular and SOF is just that they practice practice and practice until they can do it without thinking. Most forces don't have drastic changes in techniques.

To the video that was linked about the SEAL, it wasn't about trying to be tacticool and showing that I am badass and can shoot laying down in a car, it was about remembering where the bullets come out and making sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot or shoot into the car/object that is in front of you. His techniques were showing how you can adapt to situations, but to make sure you remember where you are shooting.

The only differences animations that would be cool to see would between indigenous forces (take videos from Libya or Syria or Africa and see how these guys shoot their guns with their lack of proper training). Maybe different animations between armies to reflect their SOPs as the things the Russian Spetsnaz due vary greatly from what the US Guys do.

1) The running/walking animations look a little strange

2) You guys need to calm your Special Ops boners down a bit. Most of the forces in this game have some form of standardized training and therefore most of your forces will follow the same basic principles. The difference between regular and SOF is just that they practice practice and practice until they can do it without thinking. Most forces don't have drastic changes in techniques.

To the video that was linked about the SEAL, it wasn't about trying to be tacticool and showing that I am badass and can shoot laying down in a car, it was about remembering where the bullets come out and making sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot or shoot into the car/object that is in front of you. His techniques were showing how you can adapt to situations, but to make sure you remember where you are shooting.

The only differences animations that would be cool to see would between indigenous forces (take videos from Libya or Syria or Africa and see how these guys shoot their guns with their lack of proper training). Maybe different animations between armies to reflect their SOPs as the things the Russian Spetsnaz due vary greatly from what the US Guys do.

The point was to illustrate one advanced shooting/combat technique. The point of the laying down in the truck while shooting isn't about looking tacticool or about helping people to remember they are shooting. It's to illustrate one way of laying down fire (putting rounds down range) while still keeping a low profile/low silhouette/exposing as little of your body as possible. It's an advanced combat technique suited for special operations, or situations where you'd be in the back of a truck returning fire. Don't know what I'm talking about? Rematch the movie in your sig. Just like the laying on back stance in ArmA3. It's not about being tacticool. It's an advanced technique that SF use. Regular forces would not normally be in a situation where they would need to do that. There's nothing tacticool about the stances or tactical pace either. You play as SF as well as regular infantry. There should be stances and animations that reflect that. The tactical pace and advanced stances are for that. You have a problem with that? Just don't use those stances.

Don't worry antoine, he obviously didn't read the paragraph I wrote or the part of the video that said muzzle awareness.

Too responsive :) Overdone, damnit!

I think he's talking about the "free float" zone that OFP had.

It was probably disabled for the E3 with the aim of a less steep "learn curve".

The jumping from prone into some tacticool position is still stupid, no matter how you look at it. I hope it won't make it into the final version. I don't want to see ArmA3 turn into a circus where civilians will be acting like they are some fantasy special ops.

Also soldiers do run swinging butt too much - looking like female models.

The jumping from prone into some tacticool position is still stupid, no matter how you look at it. I hope it won't make it into the final version. I don't want to see ArmA3 turn into a circus where civilians will be acting like they are some fantasy special ops.

Maybe that stance is dependent on the presence of a weapon in the player's/AI's hands. Either way , I think it looks nifty and makes the game more fun to play. If you don't like it, don't use it man.

Also soldiers do run swinging butt too much - looking like female models.

Agreed... it does look a tad bit awkward.

Improved control is welcomed, the notion that civilian models shouldn't have access to them is nonsensical, ArmA is not a roleplaying game, the skills are the player's not the character's. I've tried Smookie's improved animations addon and I find that I still only use a subset, I don't make regular use of all of them.

The animation key combos is not that easy to master so it does take real player skill to use appropriately and automatically. Just because improved animations exist it doesn't follow that all of them will be used all the time. Like other skills, people find their own balance and that's reflected in real life.