Sign in to follow this  
BF2X

Does jogging and running seem odd?

I second the opinion of the OP.

For how much I like the (apparent) smoothness of the animations, they have an odd feel to them.

At least that's what I feel when looking at the vids.

Probably it's partly because they are revising the physics engine, thus body mass may be off at the moment.

Too responsive :) Overdone, damnit!

I like the new animations. when your getting shot at a soldier in battle wouldn't give a shit how cool he looks but what fatigues him the less and to be honest when playing something like paintball trying out those animations it was pretty comfortable it may look weird but i think BIS is looking for something a little new in animations from arma 2 and something that is used in modern day combat because correct me if im wrong but they used an actual soldier to do or help the animations during recording? but i like the animations. :)

Thought it looked a little odd at first. Probably just because I'm so used to A2 animations though. It's starting to grow on me now with all this new footage going around. Pretty happy with it, not that I can be 100% certain if I like it or not until I've actually used it, but yeah it's looking way smoother/more complex than A2. Even has nice intuitive controls according to PC Gamer. Can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

The new animations are perfect according to me. It makes the game more nervous and it's better.

PS: I'm not a COD player at all.

I think its fine as is tho and overall these new animations are a dream come true for me.

Exactly what I was thinking froggy. I remember when I thought these animations were mindblowing -

q3bsG0hrQfE

never in my wildest dreams would I have beleived that over ten years later Bohemia would still be developing the best games ever!

Smookie scrap 1st person, it's all about dat derr 3rd.

For those of you that think the gun raise time is too fast. Go fire a real gun and bring the gun up, it dosen't take as long as it does in A2 unless you have a hard time holding the gun itself. Shouldering your gun takes less than a second and is pretty quick.

It would be nice to see different holding animations between a LMG and a Rifle in Arma 3, one thing that definitely is immerson shrinking in arma 2 is the fact any hand held weapon receives the same animation when holding it upwards, so an M240 can easily be held and thrown around like a rifle. Apart from that it would be nice to see some improved unarmed or pistol holding animations in a video, I mean the Arma 2 animations don't bother me too much but the unarmed running animations and pistol animations look absolutely ridiculous most of the time. Anyway apart from that animations are looking top notch so far smookie, I really do trust you to make everything look great by the time you're done, keep it up :)

Moving back to topic, imo all 1st person animations are made just excellent - from weapon reloading to smoth movements. But in third person view jogging animation looks a bit "unnatural' for me - especially strange seams to be "narrow" elbows position, which is too close to soldiers body (what is good in jogging during firefight, but looks quite strange and unconvinient in long distance running).

Though, in general new, animations look really beautiful, especially it was pleasant to see anims from smookies pack and new auto-cover system.

Since no ones played it you can't comment about it being clunky. Not to mention it's alpha still or close to it so things are very 'subject to change'. I don't really have an opinion on the 3rd person view since I don't use it. The character just doesn't look 'relaxed' to me but since he's 'always' ready to react you could argue there's nothing wrong with that.

This video shows it the best I think: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16936

Very fluid and quick movements. Nothing is perfect but these improvements are what I wanted from ARMA3 and honestly will be the best part of ARMA3. Fluid movement/animations and great gun mechanics. It looks excellent so far and honestly can't understand how anyone wouldn't be super excited about this after watching that. Makes every game at E3 look sub-par, except for the size and scalability of Planetside 2 which is impressive.

This will be a very popular game.

Edited by SexParty

Since no ones played it you can't comment about it being clunky. Not to mention it's alpha still or close to it so things are very 'subject to change'. I don't really have an opinion on the 3rd person view since I don't use it. The character just doesn't look 'relaxed' to me but since he's 'always' ready to react you could argue there's nothing wrong with that.

This video shows it the best I think: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16936

Very fluid and quick movements. Nothing is perfect but these improvements are what I wanted from ARMA3 and honestly will be the best part of ARMA3. Fluid movement/animations and great gun mechanics. It looks excellent so far and honestly can't understand how anyone wouldn't be super excited about this after watching that. Makes every game at E3 look sub-par, except for the size and scalability of Planetside 2 which is impressive.

This will be a very popular game.

fluid and quick, yes, too quick if they're gonna keep the gun glued to the center of the screen imo.

the view should be fast but the weapons should be slower depending on weapon type.

You complain the current Arma 2 anims are too clunky, then when they become more fluent, you say it's odd. I mean; What do you people want?

Exactly, they fixed the "clunky" animations and controls from ArmA II, yet now people think they are too smooth.

Exactly, they fixed the "clunky" animations and controls from ArmA II, yet now people think they are too smooth.

Don't fear, Smookie aka Keith Stone will save us from the crying fans. Always.

hNz0kdGLX-E

Don't fear, Smookie aka Keith Stone will save us from the crying fans. Always.

hNz0kdGLX-E

Haha.

Keystone might be the cheap stuff, but it is not bad!

^^ me too, to the point I love watching the character in 3rd from time to time when running, crouched running.

everything else looked awesome, but I agree with the op somewhat, looking at the running at this stage I feel it doesn't quite look or feel right?

Smookie scrap 1st person, it's all about dat derr 3rd.

For those of you that think the gun raise time is too fast. Go fire a real gun and bring the gun up, it dosen't take as long as it does in A2 unless you have a hard time holding the gun itself. Shouldering your gun takes less than a second and is pretty quick.

Even faster if you just let the gun hanging in front of your chest/belly:p

I hope that they're more life-like than they have been in past games in the series. I can run faster, run longer, reload quicker, and generally do everything better and quicker in real life than my soldier character in Arma 2, except for shooting with rifles and hand-held machine guns. (I'm much better with a pistol than the soldiers in the game are, but significantly worse with rifles.) And I'm not even in good shape. Not to mention the un-pausable actions. I assure you, if I were being shot at, I wouldn't sluggishly keep putting my binoculars away, I'd drop 'em and get down!

So far, the movement and actions in this series have been clumsy, clunky, and slow--unrealistically so. It looks to me as though a great deal of the Arma fans want Arma 3 to be like this--unrealistically awkward. This is worrying. It's neither fun nor realistic, and both the "fun" and the "realism" crowd should be on board for improving this.

Edited by Echo38

So far, the movement and actions in this series have been clumsy, clunky, and slow--unrealistically so. It looks to me as though a great deal of the Arma fans want Arma 3 to be like this--unrealistically awkward. This is worrying. It's neither fun nor realistic, and both the "fun" and the "realism" crowd should be on board for improving this.

We are. :)

I have been a bit grumpy that many things taken longer time to do in game than in real life. Plus no way to move slow with a still weapon which i can do in real life (muscle control. Non existant in games). In ARMA3 videos we can now see that you can move slow with a steady weapon which im glad for. Will make us feel more like professionals instead of some random dude picking up a rifle for the first time.

We are. :)

I have been a bit grumpy that many things taken longer time to do in game than in real life. Plus no way to move slow with a still weapon which i can do in real life (muscle control. Non existant in games). In ARMA3 videos we can now see that you can move slow with a steady weapon which im glad for. Will make us feel more like professionals instead of some random dude picking up a rifle for the first time.

jbqzST_3Bno

My pelvis and thigh muscles are very well trained. ;) This mission with the new stances would've resulted in a jizzfountain exhilarating infiltration. I can't wait to do a similar CQB op during dusk time in an urban/compound environment. :icon_twisted:

I'm in a different crowd - it looks like Smookie has solved the clunkiness and user unfriendly nature of moving your virtual self about on his/her two feet, but the issue I have is that now everyone is going to move around like a Navy SEAL. I appreciate there's a lot of SF types in the campaign/storyline but ArmA has always been about large battles involving normal frontline infantry. It's going to be a bit immersion breaking to see militiaman no. 453 with an AK doing tactical movement the same as everyone else. Is that addressed in some way? If not, a simple-ish option may be to limit the variety of movement anims the lower the AI skill is set to in the editor.

erm... i could notice that some time ago and I was asking for some improvements...

This character soldier looks like he didn't have enough time to go to bathroom, you know... some sort of "constipated jogging" hahahaha... wn estítico

Maybe BIS can make it to where the skill slider of an AI or player affects their speed of reloading and movement type. The new animations are great and a big S/O to Smookie for his awesome skills! - But as stated earlier, I wouldn't want to see normal soldiers moving as tactical as a SF person. - It wouldn't make the SF person that special :P

Maybe BIS can make it to where the skill slider of an AI or player affects their speed of reloading and movement type. The new animations are great and a big S/O to Smookie for his awesome skills! - But as stated earlier, I wouldn't want to see normal soldiers moving as tactical as a SF person. - It wouldn't make the SF person that special :P

Grunts worried about their stances, meh. :icon_twisted: I bet you could still run & look like a "retard on patrol" while in a combat situation with the new animations, if you need to. Check out my video above - stock Arma II / OA without mods - it all depends on the how one proceeds in a given system.