Sign in to follow this  
Yett

Arma 3 Frames Per Second and Fluent Moving ?

It could be always better. It's always price:gain ratio.

Yes.

Yes. "Unoptimized" usually means in extreme cases - very high visibility distance, big scale battles with lots of AIs and thousands of particles.

Yes.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. Arma3 is not finished and lots of work (also in optimization) is waiting. Often it's a matter of compromise(s). We are unable to catch all the issues on every rig in the world. But we will keep trying. Alpha could help a lot.

Thank you very much this is all i wanted to know :)

Another question i would like to ask is, will Arma 3 be a 64 bit application or a 32 bit?

Another question i would like to ask is, will Arma 3 be a 64 bit application or a 32 bit?

Welcome.

32bit. We have already talked about 64bit, but this is not bottleneck, so we have postponed the conversion. We think it's smarter to speed up shaders, particles, make deferred lighting (should help the performance too) and so on.

Welcome.

32bit. We have already talked about 64bit, but this is not bottleneck, so we have postponed the conversion. We think it's smarter to speed up shaders, particles, make deferred lighting (should help the performance too) and so on.

Is there any way the game can use more ram? So we can render things easier? :o Or in general is there a way we can get "Moar Framez". ?

ArmA already gets around the 32bit limitation, BIS has had a workaround since ArmA 1.

Also all the RAM in the world won't help you if your CPU cannot keep up. The devs mentioned something about improved core scheduling so it may be possible that A3 will run faster in that regard.

Is there any way the game can use more ram? So we can render things easier? :o Or in general is there a way we can get "Moar Framez". ?

Wich part of but this is not bottleneck didn´t you understand? Making it a 64 bit application propably wouldn´help much

General question, general answer - find your bottleneck and tune your settings. Most often it's visibility distance.

Wich part of but this is not bottleneck didn´t you understand? Making it a 64 bit application propably wouldn´help much

But man if you will throw more RAM at the application it will work faster

General question, general answer - find your bottleneck and tune your settings. Most often it's visibility distance.

Ah okay thanks for your answer. One off-related question. Will Arma 3 be on steam? :D

Ah okay thanks for your answer. One off-related question. Will Arma 3 be on steam? :D

I'm no BI employee, but it's likely: Most if not all previous Arma games have been on Steam. There is a heated discussion about Steamworks going on, though.

Yeah, Ivan Buchta just said it would be coming on Steam.

Edited by OnlyRazor

Arma renders all the graphics within your View Distance. Whether your looking at it or not.

False. Actually, sometimes Modders have to work hard to get things in the FOV to actually render. If faces with alpha aren't properly z sorted they can occlude everything including the landscape. I think that things that are totally 100% occluded are not rendered.

Edited by Max Power

But man if you will throw more RAM at the application it will work faster
At some point it wont.

I'm fairly sure metalcraze was being sarcastic. ;)

Just because the AI are fighting across the other side of the map doesn't mean they need to be loaded into the RAM

It isn't

Arma 2 is so optimized that all PC's get 20fps when it does render a lot.

Arma does have occlusion culling.

But ArmA2 is optimized. Didn't you read? It takes only 1.5 GBs to render hugeass 200+ sq. km maps with all kinds of stuff in them

While Skyrim with its ~5x5km map already needs 4 GBs on PC.

Skyrim has neither the detail of Chernarus nor comparable texture quality.

That's just an example of RAM optimizations and how ArmA engine is so much better at streaming.

To be fair, all those textures should be pushed into the ram, and not streamed directly from the HDD. I am well aware the size, and number of said textures and models, but still, you can notice the huge difference when you use SSD/ramdisk. The IO is fucking huge...

1. False. Standard 32bit applications are limited to 2GB.

2. False again. As pointed out above - Arma2 is LAA (large address aware) and can address up to 3GB.

2. 4GBs if you are on a 64bit OS ;) -> just nitpicking here

You slow or what? Ram is not doing the render part.

Please go read up on all the terms you have been mis-using here son.

Edited by PuFu

It would be interesting if Arma 3 detected the amount of available ram in the system and based it's ram load entirely off of that, pre-loading a large cache of textures and models to send to video.

And it's fairly obvious that this actually would be a big improvement, since we already see the same improvements using a ram disk or SSD. So why not take all of my extra ram that I'd usually be using as a ram disk to stream in A2 content faster, and use it exactly the same way natively in the engine? I hope that, someday soon, Photoshop still isn't the only program that can max my 16GB of ram.

Which part of but this is not bottleneck didn't you understand? Making it a 64 bit application probably wouldn't help much

It probably wouldn't help at all, realistically. If the devs aren't including 64-bit support it means that they haven't hit their ram limit yet anyways. And since the 64-bit address space takes up more ram with the same data, it'd actually be totally counterproductive to introduce 64-bit support at this point.

Edited by TheCapulet

Why is it people can't look at the animations interview and such or search around the net? Is common sense gone that near/far between?

I seriously don't get this kind of threads, how the hell can ArmA 3 run better when ArmA 2 can not??

Because of optimizations and reworking of the engine. I hate to toot my own projects horn but Franze had told me about optimizing the way the unit functioned, as it stood each action drew from it's own archive if you will..well there is a way to instead of having 4 devices drawing from 4 separate places to instead have them all draw from one and the same.

Visually you can't see it ingame, all you know is that frame rates are higher due to the way these things are changed behind the scenes.

Edited by NodUnit

NodUnit what is this project you speak of sir? Do have a mod that does this for arma2's units?

Ahhh..no comment. Suffice to say, when it comes to optimizations, while what you see does effect performance..it is what you don't see that effects it the most.

Now if you're looking for a movement mod for Arma 2 I would recommend you to SMK's animations. In fact you'll notice many parallel's between them and Arma 3's because it's what got Smookie hired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vklOq6KFQy4

Thanks NodUnit I'll check it out.

Does his mod help performance in any way or is it adding new anims only?

For the sake of it i'll write it again here. When i got SSD drives and loaded ARMA2 into one of them (one for the OS) it felt much better and the performance went "up" (not having to wait for loading in gameplay and outside). The overall feel (was for me anyway) great and it truly felt like the game ran much better. Sure its a money issue with SSD since most of you probably already got more than 2GB RAM, but they have dropped a lot in price and you only need a small one to fit ARMA3 so im sure you can get away with a small sum of cash and at least have it on a storage device that makes sense for this type of engine.

I never look at a HDD anymore except one for storage use (film, images, music, backups etc etc).

You can also use a ramdisk if you have a couple of gigs of RAM to spare. This speeds up loading times and FPS immensely, it's available as a native feature in Linux and can be done on Windows with utilities like this one. All you need to do is create a RAM disk of the desired size, copy over the most-used files (eg. chernarus map, character models, animations etc.) to an Addons folder (R:\Addons) and load your ramdisk as a mod ('-mod=R:\', for example).

You can also use a ramdisk if you have a couple of gigs of RAM to spare. This speeds up loading times and FPS immensely, it's available as a native feature in Linux and can be done on Windows with utilities like this one. All you need to do is create a RAM disk of the desired size, copy over the most-used files (eg. chernarus map, character models, animations etc.) to an Addons folder (R:\Addons) and load your ramdisk as a mod ('-mod=R:\', for example).

Nice! Didn't realise it was that easy (adding it as a mod to the command line).

This is excellent to know when I get my 32GB or RAM :D

Nice! Didn't realise it was that easy (adding it as a mod to the command line).

This is excellent to know when I get my 32GB or RAM :D

Just remember not to delete the original files - ramdisks are, as the name suggests, stored in RAM which is volatile (everything in it is lost if you turn your computer off, your computer crashes or when you restart your operating system) - be sure not to mistake it for a main storage disk :)

EDIT: There's also another Windows program called FancyCache which has been mentioned, it apparently helps speed up your computer in general by using RAM or SSD space as a disk cache. Watch out with such programs, though - be sure to disable write-caching unless you can bear with losing a cache's worth of work in case of a crash. It's a 90-day trial and it seems relatively easy to use. A useful way to ensure your >= 8GB memory doesn't go to waste on 2GB hardcoded 32bit applications :).

Edited by Kindling