Sign in to follow this  
Resilient

Are you going to upgrade because of ARMA 3?

I'll wait till MSI releases GTX 680 Lightning =) I wanted to 580 Lightning in January but it was sold out worldwide. I hope Core i5 2500k will be enough. Ivy Bridge doesn't seem like a way to go according to reviews.

@tremanarch: your question depends on how many cores you already have and their speed, but remember that whole performance includes RAM, OS and sometimes a good set of HDDs

Do you have plenty of RAM and 2 cores CPU above 2.8Ghz???? go for a new GPU if your current GPU really sucks...

Is your CPU a PITA? well, then you know what is needed...

A2 does not require more than 2 cores... but speed matters so above 3.0Ghz would be sweet

On the other hand, A3 requirements are very similar to those from A2 so there wouldn't be so much difference, Ivan Butcha confirmed them for E3 which just started today... and different graphics requirements are not essential...

Anyways, if you have a decent GPU and enough CPU power you could have at least 4GB RAM @1333 GHZ+ on 64 bits OS to let things go -relatively- without bumps at all ... remember that any 32 bits app won't be able to use more than 2048 MB RAM...

At the end of the day, overall performance will depend on your running apps = antivirus, resident programs, running services, TS, steam, etc...

I'm running on AMD 6 cores + NV 460GTX 1GB DDR5 and 12GB RAM @1600Ghz but before I started with 4GB RAM @1600 Ghz and I could notice a difference, specially when creating what's in my signature :)

Edited by Robster

I guess I will wait & see how my rig works with A3 before deciding :)

I'm planing on upgrading my 5870 card when Arma3 comes out. I'd love to get a better monitor as well eventually.

would like to buy a new pc but for now it will be just SSD + upgrade to 8gig ram when arma3 comes out.

also if i would have the money, i would wait till release - you never know what comes out until then in the hardware sec.

Yes. I'll upgrade my HD4870 1GB, maybe my 500W PSU and I'll maybe buy SSD. GPU upgrade is a must but I'm not yet sure about that SSD and PSU. I already bought i7 2600K but I haven't tried to overclock it because I have 'only' 500W PSU just in case.

You should be fine OC'ing your cpu with 500w if you don't have too many HDDs. My 525W PSU powers OC'd CPU, 3HDDs and 2SSDs no problem. It even leaves enough room for a new GPU when A3 comes out.

Yes I will, sooner or later...

I just upgraded in anticipation for ArmA 3... I just hope it was enough!

Old:

Phenom II x4 965 BE processor @ 3.8ghz

ga ma790fxt udp5 mobo

New:

i5 3570k @ 4.2 ghz (for now)

Asrock Z77 Extreme 6

All my other stuff transferred over.

Problem with the Phenom II 965 is that it barely had enough guts to run ArmA 2 smooth-ish.

The i5 3570k runs A2 like butter; A3, I'm not so sure about :confused:

Yeah, i have been saving up my pennies for probably 8 more gigs of RAM and maybe a SSD. We shall see though

2500k @4.5

Nvidia 680 2gb

16gb 1600 Ram

Standard HD

Hmm, I don't see much reason to upgrade CPU at this point but now that they've apparently stated on twitter that Nvidia cards will have some enhanced PhysX I might go SLI and dedicate 1 card to it. Can I put in one of my old 460's for that? Also probably grab some more ram to fit the whole puppy on RamDisk :)

@tremanarch: your question depends on how many cores you already have and their speed, but remember that whole performance includes RAM, OS and sometimes a good set of HDDs

Do you have plenty of RAM and 2 cores CPU above 2.8Ghz???? go for a new GPU if your current GPU really sucks...

Is your CPU a PITA? well, then you know what is needed...

A2 does not require more than 2 cores... but speed matters so above 3.0Ghz would be sweet

On the other hand, A3 requirements are very similar to those from A2 so there wouldn't be so much difference, Ivan Butcha confirmed them for E3 which just started today... and different graphics requirements are not essential...

Anyways, if you have a decent GPU and enough CPU power you could have at least 4GB RAM @1333 GHZ+ on 64 bits OS to let things go -relatively- without bumps at all ... remember that any 32 bits app won't be able to use more than 2048 MB RAM...

At the end of the day, overall performance will depend on your running apps = antivirus, resident programs, running services, TS, steam, etc...

I'm running on AMD 6 cores + NV 460GTX 1GB DDR5 and 12GB RAM @1600Ghz but before I started with 4GB RAM @1600 Ghz and I could notice a difference, specially when creating what's in my signature :)

thx for the detailed reply got me thinking.

I use a 2500K running at 4.5 GHZ and a GTX560TI also ~10% Overclocked, 8 GB Ram (is enough I guess). My Windows is streamlined, so I guess plenty of ressources for Arma.

I am just curious what is better for improving frames., I guess it is the VGA like in every game? but then there is all that AI Stuff going on, so I asked this here. ArmA is literally the last true really true PC Game out there, so it could be that it needs a good - a real good CPU I guess..

for about ~ 400$ I can double my VGA Performance or increase 80% on my CPU Performance, what did you do?

As it stands now I will maybe buy a 680 or 670 for ArmA III... or should I go for a new 2011 CPU? for every other game out on the market I would blindly go for the 680.. but ArmA? I am not sure...

#

but when I buy a new 680 / 670 I can dedicate the old 560 for Physx maybe...

Edited by tremanarch

Don't get another GPU just for PhysX. ArmA 3's PhysX is CPU-based only.

It's like this for games that also use PhysX but without the fancy GPU-accelerated features such as tearing cloth etc.

Don't get another GPU just for PhysX. ArmA 3's PhysX is CPU-based only.

It's like this for games that also use PhysX but without the fancy GPU-accelerated features such as tearing cloth etc.

Thats what I always thought but what exactly does this mean (ripped from other thread)?

Official Arma 3 twitter page:

PhysX does work on other cards. It's just not accelerated and thus you can't afford gorgeous effects, but the cars will be PhysXing.

I'm going to make a grand entrance into the computer store and yell "show me your finest gaming PC, money is no object!"

Well that's what I would do if I won the lottery, in the meantime I will continue to beg my wife for a new rig.

no way your wife is boss in the house XP

I might upgrade with an SSD drive and leave everything else as current. I hope I can manage with satisfying performance.

Waiting to see what Haswell has to offer. Probably going to hop on that bandwagon with a 600 series GPU.

Thats what I always thought but what exactly does this mean (ripped from other thread)?

"Hard physics" such as ragdolls, vehicles, ballistics, collisions and etc. are processed by the CPU. (Which ArmA 3 uses)

"Soft physics" such as water, cloth, hair, particle effects with physics, etc. are processed by the GPU because it is too complicated for the CPU to process effectively. You would need a PhysX compatible GPU for these stuff because GPUs are much faster at calculating complex math than CPUs.

EDIT: I still got an old Q6600 at 2.4 Ghz... Sigh... Hopefully ArmA 3 runs ok. I'm settled with my GTX 560 Ti OC'd though.

Yap, I'll upgrade too.

Bought a SSD (Samsung 830 Series - 256 GB) already now because there simply wasn't any more space on my old SSD (60 GB) and my 80 GB HDD. :D :D

But at the time A3 comes out, I'll buy everything else brand new!

Maybe I´ll get a SSD too

Dude, you should! It's really worth it!

Probably a new GFX card (guess i'll wait for the GK110 GPU), i hope my i7 920@3,5ghz will be enough for a CPU.

Yap, I'll upgrade too.

Bought a SSD (Samsung 830 Series - 256 GB) already now because there simply wasn't any more space on my old SSD (60 GB) and my 80 GB HDD. :D :D

But at the time A3 comes out, I'll buy everything else brand new!

Dude, you should! It's really worth it!

WTF are you doing with a 80GB HDD?

The only problem getting an SSD is the installation. I have to reinstall everything on my computer and I dont want to. It would take forever to install everything again.