Sign in to follow this  
matty1053

What's the point of playing Vanilla Style?

I find it interesting how even this community sees arma in such different ways at times. Some see it as a sandbox, other's as a something to mod, and of course some as a simulation. hell There's even people out there that play it as an rpg, or as a flight sim. It just goes to show how amazing of a game arma is. I doubt it is possible to say that other games satisfy such a variety of people with different likes and dislikes.

Great quote. It says to me that the mechanics, engine and baseline components of Arma should be the main priorities - improving both vanilla and non-vanilla (such as PhysX - thank you BIS!). I see Arma as a model of achievement and unlimited potential. You can do a hell of a lot with it, and it will continue to improve.

ACE has some features that I would really want to see in Arma 3 by default. Mainly Weapon rest (finally you are able to use MG´s from windows or similiar positions) and the Wind system (sniping in Vanilla is just to damn easy and accurate.)

Agreed, BIS would be wise to build in the best of ACE into Arma3. No need to be afraid of making the game difficult and realistic, that's what different difficulty levels are for.

IMHO, some things as weapon resting, proper bullet trajectories for snipers, proper AT simulation (correct trajectories for RPGs, realistic lock systems), better simulation of vehicles and their weaponsystems are a must.

It can't be that ArmA calls itself "The Ultimate Military Simulation" on it's cover and at the same time Battlefield 3 is a much more realistic game in SOME aspects, such as proper bipods, actual RPG drop over distance, Canister ammo for tanks and different 40mm grenade ammo for underbarrel launchers.

IMHO, some things as weapon resting, proper bullet trajectories for snipers, proper AT simulation (correct trajectories for RPGs, realistic lock systems), better simulation of vehicles and their weaponsystems are a must.

It can't be that ArmA calls itself "The Ultimate Military Simulation" on it's cover and at the same time Battlefield 3 is a much more realistic game in SOME aspects, such as proper bipods, actual RPG drop over distance, Canister ammo for tanks and different 40mm grenade ammo for underbarrel launchers.

Pretty brave to throw these around here. I'd watch my back, you might get stoned. No way arcade game can do something better then ultimate simulator does. You will burn in Armaverse hell for spreading lies!

:D

I cant think of a single time i would ever have needed canister ammo for a tank (though would be sweet) and we do have different ammo for grenade launchers (though not buckshot)

I cant think of a single time i would ever have needed canister ammo for a tank (though would be sweet) and we do have different ammo for grenade launchers (though not buckshot)

There are 3 different ammotypes (essentially) for 40mm grenades in ArmA: Flare, Smoke and HE. BF3 has Smoke, HE, Flechette and underbarrel shotguns.

Cannister ammo would be primarily used for breaching houses and taking out enemy emplacements, such as MG nests etc. without much risk for friendly infantry in APCs.

There are 3 different ammotypes (essentially) for 40mm grenades in ArmA: Flare, Smoke and HE. BF3 has Smoke, HE, Flechette and underbarrel shotguns.

Cannister ammo would be primarily used for breaching houses and taking out enemy emplacements, such as MG nests etc. without much risk for friendly infantry in APCs.

with the 40mm, dont get me wrong i would love to see more ammo for it...maybe its a job for me :p (i can think of someone face palming right now :D ) but like, ive never really needed shotgun rounds etc (cause i normally carry one :p ) i suppose up close with a 5.56 rifle there are times when ive shot a bloke and his AKM kills me quicker with the higher damage, that would be an ideal place for them

as for canister, im not too sure on how they're used IRL. i always thought it was for taking out groups of infantry?

Yes the canister round is for taking out mass groups of infantry. The M3 Stuart had it for its 37mm gun, the Sheriden had it for its 152mm gun (used in Vietnam, as I recall 1 shot managed to kill over 100 Vietcong!) so it does prove useful when machine guns just aren't good enough.

100? fuck me! lol

And I thought 25 was high from the flechette round for the Carl gustav :p

I partially hope, and partially expect the BIS developers to bring a more original story to the campaign this time around. I also think that the new engine will enable for a more cinematic experience and less bugs.

They already confirmed they have taken a good look at popular mods and that they will implement some of these features in the vanilla version.

I agree that Arma wouldn't be half as good if it wasn't for the mods, but after all, you do need the vanilla version to run them :). And it'll take a while for all the big modding developers to release the first stable version of they're conversions. So for the time being I'm gonna entertain myself with the vanilla version.

Oh, actually I missed one thing. Playing vanilla is also much easier because my RPT isn't full of errors from buggy mods. It makes it much easier to debug my own stuff when I'm not sifting through mountains of other people's errors.

I for one do not want to see ARMA go the way of Il2:COD, where the realism nuts broke the soul of the game and the heart of its creator.

Oh, actually I missed one thing. Playing vanilla is also much easier because my RPT isn't full of errors from buggy mods. It makes it much easier to debug my own stuff when I'm not sifting through mountains of other people's errors.

Great point. I do enjoy some mods, but it seems that most of them just aren't on par with Bohemia Interactive as far as quality, stability, and ease of use (installing, etc.).

Great point. I do enjoy some mods, but it seems that most of them just aren't on par with Bohemia Interactive as far as quality, stability, and ease of use (installing, etc.).

heresy! ace2 is perfect.

heresy! ace2 is perfect.

Who the hell said I was talking about ACE?

I think he was making a tongue in cheek comment about your 'heretical' view that ACE2 is inferior to the par of BI's content. I think it was just a spammy joke.

I also think that the new engine will enable for a more cinematic experience and less bugs.

Thankfully this is still the same engine and it will not have any cinematic experience.

It will have an outdated experience of game not playing itself for you though.

I haven't downloaded any mods for amra yet.

1.Don't play that much (and mostly on public servers)

2.tried it once and I can't unpack the files, my laptop just won't let me, don't know why

I haven't downloaded any mods for amra yet.

1.Don't play that much (and mostly on public servers)

2.tried it once and I can't unpack the files, my laptop just won't let me, don't know why

Try harder :rolleyes:

In fact, mods are the main reason i still play this game, and contrary to what i read here, there quality is usually very high, even if they are less innovative than they used to be in OFP time.

BUT, i wish Vanilla game not to be too complicated, cause it must stay a game (and not a simulator, which it isn't obviously). I agree with the wind, launcher simulation and some other things that could be corrected though (the dammage model being one of them).

Edited by ProfTournesol

In fact, mods are the main reason i still play this game, and contrary to what i read here, there quality is usually very high, even if they are less innovative than they used to be in OFP time.

Who said that the mods are of lower quality?

Who said that the mods are of lower quality?

Alzheimer ?

Alzheimer ?

I said on par, meaning the same level. Which means that the addons could be of higher or lower quality. I never specifically stated if I thought mods were of higher or lower quality.

I said on par, meaning the same level. Which means that the addons could be of higher or lower quality. I never specifically stated if I thought mods were of higher or lower quality.

Nope, you said "not on par", which obviously didn't mean better quality :icon_ohmygod:

Nope, you said "not on par", which obviously didn't mean better quality :icon_ohmygod:

Yes, that's what I meant to type. (I'm currently at work browsing these forums on my phone, sorry.).

I said "They just aren't on par". Meaning, they aren't on the same level of quality. Saying they aren't on the same level of quality doesn't automatically mean I'm saying they are of lower quality.