Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Congratulations Bohemia Interactive

As i type this Arma is at No.2 on the Best sellers list, :yay:

and a zombie game on 1, caching in on the hype :P

I bought Arma II CO and it took me along time to get comfortable with all of the aspects of the game. I am still a noob, but a lot better than when I started. But I have to tell you this is one of the best games EVER. I get so engrossed you could stick a pin in me and I wouldn't react. ;)

ArmA is one of the last true PC games: Simulation!

This is where PC is strong. Big Worlds, Complex Stuff and 100% Modding support. ArmA deservers that.

And for People like me: not a Gamer on the first, but a PC User that likes games too, Simulations like ArmA (OFP) brought me into gaming first.

With ArmA it is like playing with plastic soldiers but with all Sounds, Movement, Control and finally other people. That is every grown mans dream ;)

Wow Top 5 for multiple weeks now and 100k+ unique new players of Day-Z, this is really remarkable! :)

You know, I've been absent for a while in the forums and I heard about this Zombie mod while I was in the Skyrim forums. It was in the "off topic" section and I thought, oh is that old zombie mod I saw a few years back. Anyways, since I'm so anxious for any new Arma 3 videos I went to YouTube and when I type Arma 3, a whole freaking list of DayZ mods loaded up! WTF is DayZ I said.

I can't believe this zombie mod is making BIS(Arma2) so popular. Who would have thought? Perhaps, this is the break BIS needed to get more notoriety in the industry. Perhaps it isn't the type of notoriety BIS wanted, but, it's here where smart companies can take advantage of business opportunities. Some folks are worry that this game will ruin the reputation or whatnot of the Arma series. Not at all. I think we have a new franchise in the making. I won't be surprise that in the future we will have the Arma series and the DayZ series. Money talks and I hope, no matter what BIS decides, the quality of the Arma series won't deteriorate.

Edited by Lorca

I for one don't think this is the most stellar thing to happen.

Because what we really don't notice is now we aren't the primary consumers of the game, the game's main base isn't people who want a hyper-realistic military shooter. The base of this game is now people who want a semi-realistic zombie survival game. Anyone who understands even basic business knows that this will not end with ARMA becoming a better simulator. As Day-z expands, the main consumer base will be tied to it. They will expected to be treated with the same quality that we are treated with. They will expect to be catered to and they will expect to be taken care off.

For me, I personally think this will mark the end of ARMA being a game, I think it will become more of a showcase engine, BIS will improve upon the engine with each new version to cater to the main base of people who are buying it.

Just my two cents, I'm not saying that money for BIS is bad, I would have liked for the money to come from A.C.E., or some other mod that focused on what the original base bought the game for. Anyways I hope it doesn't influence ARMA3 at all and it's development.

I can't think of anything that DayZ would cause to be fixed that wouldnt not be of benefit to Arma. Got any examples?

So far:

We have had backpack handling improved as a result of Dayz = win for Arma (the Mil Sim)

We have had better (and we will get better) network improvements thanks to DayZ = Win for Arma

We have had fixes to the communication system, again thanks to DayZ = Win for Arma

I don't see anything that could cause Arma to be become any less of the game we all know and love due to fixes or changes to help a game mode like DayZ...only benefits for everyone.

Personally, I think it is highly likely that BIS will create a brand new Standalone game based on DayZ. It easily popular enough for them to consider this. Just look at Take On Helicopters, the concept is not that different. Eg take a popular concept from Arma (flying Helis In this case) and create a separate game for it. And ToH is no where near as popular as DayZ.

I don't really mind what they do, I would be just as happy to have them leave it as a game mode in Arma. It will be interesting to see what happens.

All those recent "DayZ" bugfixes/improvements don't fix anything brand new or unknown. One could also ask BIS why it took so long to do it?

All those recent "DayZ" bugfixes/improvements don't fix anything brand new or unknown. One could also ask BIS why it took so long to do it?

Perhaps because, as a small independent company, they have to manage a tight development schedule (actually, several development schedules ofc) on a limited budget?

Of course, like many others, I'ld like my pet peeves fixed NOW!, but this game is so good already I'm willing to wait. Unlike a noisy few, I don't feel in the least like whinging about DayZ, though I don't play MP nor have any interest in zombies.

Sales in the $ millions per week range is brilliant for BIS - apart from an influx of revenue that will fund future developments, it also means better financial security for the staff & their families. Three cheers for Rocket & the other devs!

As for whines about the quality of the new players, the deadbeats will eventually move on & the ones who get into the intricacies & challenges of the Armaverse will stay. I haven't attempted any survey, but I've noticed a number of recent posts from very new members in a variety of forums here, including Editing; some at least are from people who apparently bought the game to play DayZ. We should be welcoming sensible new members whatever they bought the game for; generic put-downs aren't likely to encourage them to stay, or even to post in the first place.

Actually that's exactly what they (DayZ Bug fixes) did. For example, the network fixes where as a result of the extreme stress testing it was put under from DayZ. No other mission has allowed them to test the network like this, or see how it behaves under such high load.

Edited by -=seany=-

Sorry but some of you make it sound like DayZ was "planned by BIS" but on the other hand in interviews with BIS its sound more that they are surprised that DayZ is just filling their pockets now. Problems, bugs and issues were there before this zombie/pvp (horde) mod(e), they were reported but BIS put a blind eye on them....

eh? All I said was that it had stress tested Arma's network in ways not seen before, which in turn helped (and will help) them to see how they can make the network code better.

Of course it wasn't planned, more like a welcome opportunity.

Sorry but some of you make it sound like DayZ was "planned by BIS" but on the other hand in interviews with BIS its sound more that they are surprised that DayZ is just filling their pockets now. Problems, bugs and issues were there before this zombie/pvp (horde) mod(e), they were reported but BIS put a blind eye on them....

They have updated their YouTube Machinima policy just in time, possibly anticipating this.

The only good to come out of DayZ are the hordes of MMO fanatics, which are demanding certain changes that I agree with (refer to dayzmod.com), other than that, these same people couldn't care less about ArmA.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1954&page=11

Allright. Let me try to explain in a more comprehensive way.

What exactly is wrong with buying a game just for a certain mod? Even before buying Arma II i did this with several titles before. Just like BF2 or HL².

In the case of the Arma-Franchise I am just not _interested_ in playing the core game.

Flight Simulation like IL-2? Count me in.

Racing Simulation like rFactor? Hell Yeah.

Mainly Infantery based simulation providing really basic flight physics? Most likely NOT.

And it isn't meant to be disrespectful against BI, because I know that Arma II is a really great game. I just don't share the interest of playing a combat simulation since I've already served in the (german) army. And compared to realife every game is just boring.

If DayZ will be ported to Arma III, I will most certainly buy this game just for the mod - again.

Although, making DayZ standalone without providing some sort of remedy to your core playerbase in the form of Official, QUALITY PVP/Co-op game modes would be a kick in the nuts - it already has received more dev support, than Warfare mission ever had. <3 Benny

Because what we really don't notice is now we aren't the primary consumers of the game, the game's main base isn't people who want a hyper-realistic military shooter. The base of this game is now people who want a semi-realistic zombie survival game. Anyone who understands even basic business knows that this will not end with ARMA becoming a better simulator. As Day-z expands, the main consumer base will be tied to it. They will expected to be treated with the same quality that we are treated with. They will expect to be catered to and they will expect to be taken care off.

For me, I personally think this will mark the end of ARMA being a game.

I guess DayZ could be a several product. Like Iron Front: Liberation 1944, TOH

Edited by tremanarch

I guess DayZ could be a several product. Like Iron Front: Liberation 1944, TOH

Yes of course. I don't understand why some other Arma 2 fans are worry. ArmA will always be ArmA. That zombie mod is one of the best business opportunities that BIS has had in awhile. Another game company/publisher would've killed to have an opportunity like this. A new franchise is in the making. 1) a true niche and serious military game(ArmA) and 2)an accessible fun game(DayZ) under one roof(among the other BIs games)

Since when a "mod" from a not so popular game has put this "not so popular game" at the top of the charts beating even the most coveted an most awaited popular games? Even if being near the top of the charts isn't bringing any money(for the moment), the stellar exposure is worth as much as gold in the world of business. To tell the world you exist is an important thing in advertisement.

Edited by Lorca

For me, I personally think this will mark the end of ARMA being a game, I think it will become more of a showcase engine, BIS will improve upon the engine with each new version to cater to the main base of people who are buying it.

Just my two cents, I'm not saying that money for BIS is bad, I would have liked for the money to come from A.C.E., or some other mod that focused on what the original base bought the game for. Anyways I hope it doesn't influence ARMA3 at all and it's development.

no.

will i even bother to explain why BIS wont turn their back on the "true" fan base?

no.

will i even bother to explain why BIS wont turn their back on the "true" fan base?

Still though Slatts I hope your right, and I hope to god he isnt.

Still though Slatts I hope your right, and I hope to god he isnt.

think about it.

as a mod, DayZ appeals to a wider group of people who aren't the target audience of arma. zombie "fever" is everywhere in media (movies, games etc.) therefore im not surprised people have bought arma for dayz though im surprised at the scale.

arma only appeals to a small audience, and BIS where part of that audience and created OFP. they have stuck to this type of game and to the same audience for over a decade. i really really cant see why this will stop now.

could bis make dayz a stand alone game? maybe. will they stop making mil-sims? no.

think about it.

as a mod, DayZ appeals to a wider group of people who aren't the target audience of arma. zombie "fever" is everywhere in media (movies, games etc.) therefore im not surprised people have bought arma for dayz though im surprised at the scale.

arma only appeals to a small audience, and BIS where part of that audience and created OFP. they have stuck to this type of game and to the same audience for over a decade. i really really cant see why this will stop now.

could bis make dayz a stand alone game? maybe. will they stop making mil-sims? no.

This is probably the most spot on post I've read in this entire thread. Thank you Slatts.

Hello!

Interesting mix of opinions in this thread. I just wanted to comment on this whole situation, hopefully shedding a little insight from an outsiders perspective!

I had never before heard of the ArmA series (played Operation Flashpoint many a moon ago) prior to the release of this brilliant mod. I have been totally fixated by the game, it's playstyle and it's environment. Ive always been a fan of sandbox games but this one has something special about it (ignoring the DayZ mod).

The formula itself (loot & survive) is near perfect. Whether it is zombies or human military AI, it just works really well with the involvement of PvP. The engine itself is quite good and Ive come to rather like it in the short time Ive been playing. Ive also been quite happy to ignore and tolerate the obvious engine bugs and the never ending server troubles just to play the game.

I sincerely hope that your beloved ArmA series stays true to it's roots in the next installment despite the sudden increase in popularity and influx of 'mainstream' gamers (Im confident this will be the case).

I look forward to exploring all that this game has to offer, not just the mod I ignorantly purchased it for.

Lastly, props to the dev's of both the game and mod! It's an amazing feat to bring an old game to the forefront of the online gaming community like this has. Something I can't recall ever seeing on this scale.

Happy gaming.

Hello!

Interesting mix of opinions in this thread. I just wanted to comment on this whole situation, hopefully shedding a little insight from an outsiders perspective!

I had never before heard of the ArmA series (played Operation Flashpoint many a moon ago) prior to the release of this brilliant mod. I have been totally fixated by the game, it's playstyle and it's environment. Ive always been a fan of sandbox games but this one has something special about it (ignoring the DayZ mod).

The formula itself (loot & survive) is near perfect. Whether it is zombies or human military AI, it just works really well with the involvement of PvP. The engine itself is quite good and Ive come to rather like it in the short time Ive been playing. Ive also been quite happy to ignore and tolerate the obvious engine bugs and the never ending server troubles just to play the game.

I sincerely hope that your beloved ArmA series stays true to it's roots in the next installment despite the sudden increase in popularity and influx of 'mainstream' gamers (Im confident this will be the case).

I look forward to exploring all that this game has to offer, not just the mod I ignorantly purchased it for.

Lastly, props to the dev's of both the game and mod! It's an amazing feat to bring an old game to the forefront of the online gaming community like this has. Something I can't recall ever seeing on this scale.

Happy gaming.

Welcome to the forums. I happy that people like yourself for example are coming to the Arma world. Arma 2 is a very underrated game. The way I found out about Arma 2 was when I googled the top big game worlds in video games. Even though the article didn't list or mentioned Arma one of the comments by users said the article missed Arma. I google Arma and the rest is history.

I found Chernarus massive map amazing. One of the first things I loved about the game-- what many players tend not to take notice in games---is the spatial space. In other words, when I run I can feel the correct amount of ground I've covered unlike other games where I take a few strides and i'm already at the other end of a building. The second thing I loved about Arma 2 is that there isn't any loading screens when you traverse the whole landmass. There's so many things I like about Arma 2 and I was rewarded because I had the patience to discover all of it nuances.

I'm one of those who are happy that the so call Dayz mod have brought attention to the game even if they aren't here for the "military simulation". BIS is a very small company and they certainly don't have the cash as those AAA games to give massive media hype as CoD, BF3, etc. Dayz is really a gift from the Gods if you take that from a business stand point. This is "one in a life time" opportunity and I hope BIS does take advantage of this in order not only to make a possible extra franchise but, more importantly, to make Arma series a better game with---hopefully--the new revenues.

Edited by Lorca

Although I've had enough zombies for my lifetime (Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare - awesome), and will never play DayZ, I think the DayZ phenom is nothing but very good news for us and BIS. It's easy cash for BIS, DayZ requires no BIS effort other than netcode and other engine improvements (which will end up helping us just as much, if not more, than the zombie people), and will fund the work that we and BIS love, the mil sim. I will eat my shorts if this welcome development results in anything other than a better A3 in the end. But who knows.....

What if DayZ makes BIS so rich that they say the heck with it, close up shop, and move to Aruba? ;)

1beach.jpg

That's a nice pic. I wish I was there right now. Anyways, I doubt Dayz will make BIS rich. Dayz will probably make BIS enough money to go to Aruba more often but not to buy Aruba:)

The way I look at all this is the "exposure" of ArmA. A lot of people who never played Arma 2 or played half way the game are already admiring the beautiful and massive map of Chernarus. One thing I'm excited and hopeful about is that this new wave of players coming to the Arma series will bring some more talented modders/programmers to the modding scene. For those veteran Arma players who think that these zombie "kids' have nothing to bring to the table are probably making a big mistake. Remember the all-important military phrase, "Never under estimate the enemy."

Edited by Lorca

Ha! Well said. One question. Does DayZ have vehicles, like cars and trucks? One well-documented problem with Chernarus is that the road networks are broken in some places with regard to AI driving; AI drivers in those areas will drive off the road, into each other, and into lakes. Perhaps DayZ will spur BIS on to patch up the road network a bit.

I don´t know if there will be a stand alone DayZ game. I et that other publishers have seen the success of the mod and maybe development for similiar games is already planed/started.

I don´t think that BIS is able to directly compete with big publishers since they have more cash for adds. And I guess BI knows that. That makes me believe that BIS will continue to make Mil Sims, because that is what they are good at and where they can´t be surpassed by other studios.