Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

Congratulations Bohemia Interactive

Are those few 'interested' DayZ players really interested in military part of the game or more in shoot'n'loot gameplay? Do or can zombies drive? "Never overestimate casual/mainstream gameplay and rating." :rolleyes:

Are those few 'interested' DayZ players really interested in military part of the game or more in shoot'n'loot gameplay? Do or can zombies drive? "Never overestimate casual/mainstream gameplay and rating." :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure only in what Dayz has to offer, or what a "zombie" game has to offer. If they were interested in the military simulation they would have come to Arma a long time ago. But then again, they didn't know Arma existed. I've seen some YouTube vids of them playing and they seem like a very happy bunch of folks having a great time. They look like tourist in San Francisco.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Ha! Well said. One question. Does DayZ have vehicles, like cars and trucks? One well-documented problem with Chernarus is that the road networks are broken in some places with regard to AI driving; AI drivers in those areas will drive off the road, into each other, and into lakes. Perhaps DayZ will spur BIS on to patch up the road network a bit.

I haven't played Dayz but one thing we know for sure is that the default Arma 2 AI driving skill is not that good. That's why there are mods to fix or minimized their path ways. Having said that, I remember the first time I played Arma 2. I was in the editor and spawned a sedan and a driver and I told him to drive me to a far, far location. At first he was following the roads and all of the sudden he took a shortcut and then another. I thought it was a glitch since sometimes he stopped completely and I could almost see him "thinking" about where to go next. sure enough, he drove me to this obscure off-road area and I was like, "Are you going to rape me or something?" but all this time the AI knew what he was doing. We arrived at our destination after 35 realtime minutes of AI driving. I was really impress.

I killed the chauffeur and headed back from where I started before it got dark:D

Edited by Lorca

I dont know what to say, only some days before the first DayZ servers did pop up and before massive players did overrun them I was talking in a thread that we have too many RPG servers in comparison to the numbers of PvP servers....at this time I did count less than ten "Urban LIve" rpg servers in the top ten with the most players.

What only happened in a couple of weeks is just amazing, today I did count maybe more than 150 DayZ servers and most of them are crowded. I never saw that many servers before, this is really special and I guess not even the BIS team was prepared for it. Congrats !

I did visit a famous gamer forum a while ago, which offers mostly game informations about mmorpg´s. They did open a thread about Arma 2: DayZ and the hits were around 5000-6000 after a couple of days. Now its a sticky and they started a vote if the game DayZ will be listed in their game list/individual game forums. I saw on youtube videos about Dayz with hundred thousands of views.

Then I saw quiete a funny and actually very new "review" about DayZ, take a look here, a video about DayZ from FPSGuru:

Ripper X Checks Out DayZ

http://www.fpsguru.com/game/320/article/2212/Ripper-X-Checks-Out-DayZ-In-Arma-II.html

haha unblieveable how fast this mod did go viral

cheers :don3:

Edited by oxmox

haha unblieveable how fast this mod did go viral

cheers :don3:

Isn't that amazing? I'm pretty sure many game developers are scratching their heads right now thinking how in the hell this is possible? Is not like Dayz has revolutionized the Zombie/horror genre.... has it?

I checked Steam and again Arma 2 is back in first place as the best seller. Boy, Christmas came early for BIS.

Servers exist from places all over the world. Europe, Southamerica & Northamerica, New Zealand & Australia, Russia,....

there are server from Asia..i.e. Thailand, Korea !

Yeah, I probably think some companies who just did release their games rub their eyes....

That video review is a riot. "Welcome to DayZ. Get a diaper. You are going to shit your pants." :D

I feel like joining a DayZ server with full Gillie suit and a sniper rifle (I know that's impossible) and mercilessly hunting down these zombie-lovin' noobs. ;) I already know Chernarus like the back of my hand. No need for a map. Those greenhorns (and zombies) wouldn't stand a chance against my steel. Ha!

Well, I like that ArmA II are being famous day after day because of this DayZ, but it is such unfortunate that what makes ArmA being famous isn't because it's true identity which is the most realistic Military Simulator ever build like before.

So, I think that people now knowing about ArmA not because it's the best military simulator in the world, but because it has zombie mod which mixed in real military simulator world :(

at least DayZ is only so good because of the big map, the realistic overall feel of everything. And that clearly comes off the ArmA II masterpiece. DayZ couldnt be successfull as a mod on any other game I suppose!

I was astonished recently when I saw the amount of servers hosting this mission.

And only half an hour ago it was more than 6000 gamers online where in the last years have only been 1000.

But nevertheless. I like BIS games because I like freedom.

On their page I read the following:

Q: Can you give us the mission files so me and my friends can play on a private server?

A: The way DayZ works means that you cannot run the mission privately because it is synced to our external program and database. A possible DayZ Lite may be released in the future where people can make their own missions.

So they offer the "service" of collecting data about you? What else makes them to withhold the files? A new "facebook" like Steam?

(Nevertheless I appreciate the defacto-advertising it brings to BIS games ... )

Another info (German) where someone does not know that BIS games work without Steam since 2001 perfectly. He, without mentioning another possibilty, describes intalling DayZ by using Steam. Is it only usable with Steam? Or is he a deaf-dumb-blind?

Edited by Herbal Influence

Well, I like that ArmA II are being famous day after day because of this DayZ, but it is such unfortunate that what makes ArmA being famous isn't because it's true identity which is the most realistic Military Simulator ever build like before.

So, I think that people now knowing about ArmA not because it's the best military simulator in the world, but because it has zombie mod which mixed in real military simulator world :(

I feel the same way.

So they offer the "service" of collecting data about you? What else makes them to withhold the files? A new "facebook" like Steam?

I think you are a bit too far. They need the char info about where you spawn, what stuff you have etc.

It is a persistent World / Char.

Have you even played the game?

they can surely release the server software, but think again. People should have then 2 Servers running and their clients for the game. thats too much. It is a nice gift of them that they release a lite version and not a withhold of data.. what data? what weapon your char uses at the moment, okay this will make a super interesting facebook page then: a lot of herbal123 guys with the Info that they have winchester and are located at 036587?! cmon

--

regarding the second question

yes, he is "deaf dumb blind" if you say so. But I would prefer the term ignorant. Not everyone knows anything. And with SixLauncher its much more easy to install dayz and join a server: http://www.six-updater.net/2012/05/all-new-six-launcher-click-and-play.html

--

dayz is just a normal mod, but with a persistent world that is not saved on the hosting game server but on a master server. So you can log on any game server and still have your equipment. And it is perma death. So when your char dies you start all over. You cannot join another server where you maybe had some weapon and have a char for every server, no they made it super professional - which only works with a master server collecting and saving and serving all the data.. that is just the techniq there is no other way to do it.. (maybe theoretically with clouds and bubbles and stuff -|- a "torrentish way to do it" -|-; but im sure you didnt mean this).

Edited by tremanarch

I am absolutely open to your arguments and I thank you for the information on the game.

On the other hand every sort of "service" makes you sign a contract before you get your login/password (facebook/google/etc. etc.) and with that you accept a lot of smallprint that are not made in your favor but in favor of someone else.

And yes, I am very nervous, when again a US based entity (like facebook, EA, google, Microsoft etc.) asks for private data while not at all interested in the european culture of caring for privacy, or, like facebook even calling "privacy an outdated concept" (Zuckerberg).

Well ... they all had to learn and they partly did so - roughly said - but what efforts had to be made: They had to be threatened with huge amounts of fines. Or with shitstorms like in the case of Google delivering Chrome only with exact identification number.

Last but not least: In Europe the law says that you should only ask for private data if you really really need it.

But if you are right that the game needs to work that way: I have no problems with that and I want all people to enjoy it without second thoughts.

But as you say that there is no problem to give them Herbal123 with four winchesters ... you really don't know that there is much more private data? Check ip-check.info and see another huge amount of data delivered, aside from the data they ask you to insert, when you open up an account at DayZ (only login and password and the smallprint? - I assume they ask for more .... ).

And the side-effect is: They know every server I play that game, date and time and activity ... they even know every server I visit perhaps?

Question: Why is the "status" of the "character" not saved on the harddisk of the gamer himself?

Ok, they call it playing but they don't trust each other .... they want a "serious" game.

(Intellectually I don't follow ... ).

Couldn't the data be easily and seriously encrypted (pgp is free software) and only decrypted when contacting a gameserver?

Yes, it's true. My baker knows a lot about me. That's not a problem. His abilities to aggregate data is tiny compared to those of facebook, Google etc. But his aggregational power is multiplied if he knows my mother too. There is no "unimportant" bit of data when you want to aggregate.

EDIT: I love and play BIS games since 2001 especially because they let you alone with the DVD if you want.Unlike EA with BF3 and others ...

Edited by Herbal Influence

aside from the data they ask you to insert, when you open up an account at DayZ (only login and password and the smallprint? - I assume they ask for more .... ).

Herbal, you and others (OMAC) just need to play the game for a half hour to save your self such confusion and to see what is actually like. The game stores data about your character and gear etc on a remote server, it's tied to you via your CD key....no where do you have to enter you email address or "sign Up". If you are that paranoid maybe you should just avoid the internet all together. Bis know more about you here on this forum when you make a post then they do when you join a DayZ server.

when I were a Spy from outer space with the mission to rescue earth from hordes of futuristic mega aliens, okay then I would bother to not give such tiny information away (but then I would hide under the earth where I cannot reflect light, I would try not to breathe and to think as it changed microwaves around me.. huh). But hey.. they know only that a serial number has a char named blabla123 and is joining this and this server... nothing is linked with my digital "me" aka E-Mails or whatever...

they can trace back the serial maybe to a country, maybe to a local store, and really maybe to time, and then they could check their videos (if they save them years), and THEN they can maybeee see a picture of me.. and then? end of story.. why would they do this? Not even wanted criminals are paranoid like this ;)

like seany said, just play the game.. your are fighting windmills here. I respect paranoia. And this brainfunction you can bring to good use in DayZ Mod aswell.

Mayybee you should your Herbal not influence you so much heh e

Edited by tremanarch

Arma 2: DayZ gets attention in the BBC news :nerner:

"The plan at that time was to do the tests with 150 players on two or three servers."

"When we are suffering economic crises, that's when we turn back to the zombies"

"Zombies speak in so many ways to what capitalism has done to us"

..amazing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18280173

Edited by oxmox

meh

I don't agree at all with that article. The thing that excites me more about DayZ are not the Zombies, but the players and the harsh environment. Just knowing that you can't trust no one, that you have to be sneaky, that you can lose everything you posses. Those are the kind of things that give you the feeling of true PvP. Those are the kind of things that i like more about DayZ and not zombies. Whoever has played Ultima Online, Lineage, Eve Online or others, knows what that feeling is. Zombies are only a decoration imho.

meh

I don't agree at all with that article. The thing that excites me more about DayZ are not the Zombies, but the players and the harsh environment. Just knowing that you can't trust no one, that you have to be sneaky, that you can lose everything you posses. Those are the kind of things that give you the feeling of true PvP. Those are the kind of things that i like more about DayZ and not zombies. Whoever has played Ultima Online, Lineage, Eve Online or others, knows what that feeling is. Zombies are only a decoration imho.

True to that.

Congrats to BIS, you've been featured on the top gaming TV show in Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/goodgame/stories/s3518736.htm

Dayz is now officially mainstream.

Nice find, although I wouldn't call Dayz mainstream just yet. Right now Dayz is more like a solid novelty. One thing for sure though, Dayz is becoming better known than Arma 2 military game. All is becoming like that situation in life in which the son surpasses the father or the student surpasses the teacher.

Edited by Lorca

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?63053-New-interview-with-Maruk&p=1094515#post1094515

I got a fair amount of flack for that suggestion, it's nice to have some vindication. Congratulations to everyone that made it happen.

Yeah, and you said that in 2007. I'm practically new to the forums and one thing I've noticed is that the Arma community is very protective--perhaps even hostile--towards new ideas that changes the game towards "mainstream".

I still remember my 2nd post I made to these forums. I asked why there wasn't any sound effect when you open a door in Arma 2 and if there was a mod for it. Boy, immediately there was a ass*****been sarcastic telling me why I don't do it myself among other hostile sentiments. Jeez, thanks for welcoming me to the Arma forums.

Edited by Lorca

LOL, guys :D

Just look at this! :D

lolnni.jpg

Blockbuster Max Payne displaced to No. 2.

Combined Ops Steam sales are doing quite well of late.

So congratulations BIS, regardless of why the sales increased. :yay:

Madness, I tell you, madness!

Now, capitalise on it and bring us proper competitive PVP milsim experience in ArmA III. ;)

About time folks are tired of that arcade crap they've been fed with for years :)