Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Operation E3

If you get dirt on your face you can feel it. If you get hit you can feel it as well. In computer game you have only screen and sound. These new screen effects are messages about all these things which you can't feel in game otherwise.

Hmm..never thought of it that way... Though as others have said the "jam" may not be the best route, especially since everyone WILL be comparing it to ..well every generic shooter out there. Things like a loss of color, flashing and other things suggested on the previous page would work well enough.

Also anyway, in fight, when pumped with adrenaline if u get injured u might not even feel it so drasticly the first seconds. Adrenaline and Shock does its thing.

It would, I once read a story of a man who was on an outing with his friends, just hanging out when a guy came along with a gun. After carefully devising on how to get his own handgun out the two exchanged shots, the guy said he didn't really feel it, much less notice until later (pictures provided as well) that he had actually been shot in the hand and had exist wounds between his fingers. During that time he was able to pull the trigger and scare the guy off.

Edited by NodUnit

But still, you do not need strawberry jam to fulfill the job that flashing red screen is already more then capable of, unless you want to over exaggerating the effect to a point of non-sense like every other shooter out there.

Someone likes it, someone not. Remember, we are still polishing it. Of course, the final decision will be considering community alpha impressions.

I like the idea, and it makes sense to see if you've been hit left, right, center... With protection glasses, as many people have these days, it's even visually credible.

The execution might be a bit too gory/overdone, but It's better than nothing. I liked the effect of dirt in EW campaign.

Red flashes don't give orientation information. They're too generic.

My 2 cents.

I like the idea, and it makes sense to see if you've been hit left, right, center... With protection glasses, as many people have these days, it's even visually credible.

The execution might be a bit too gory/overdone, but It's better than nothing. I liked the effect of dirt in EW campaign.

Red flashes don't give orientation information. They're too generic.

My 2 cents.

when i play a game i don't need lots of crap sprites that make no sence and piss me off. take a look at cod blood screen. thats a mess. i don't like overcrowded/overused effects like that. clean and simple red flashes is more then enough.

you can always fuck the screen up with lots of blood, markers, nicks over head and make it all look crowded as hell, but what for?

simple things work better

Yeah remove that ketchup BIS. It's ugly and it's annoying in every single game it's in.

Better work on simulating pain after the hit not just blackouts while still running and perfectly aiming.

Also I have noticed that crosshair is now projected from a barrel of a gun (seen when Crowe is close to objects, the crosshair moves closer to barrel). No more whining that "shooting is crooked".

you can always fuck the screen up with lots of blood, markers, nicks over head and make it all look crowded as hell, but what for?

simple things work better

Agreed. The "Bloody screen" mechanic is a generic staple that needs to be done away with entirely.

Well guys why don´t we just wait until the Alpha and provide feedback AFTER we have tested it?

@ jam

I think it's better than having blackout/red because in latter case I would probably mistake it for fatigue effects or suppression effect. The jelly is IMO more intuitive.

The CoD style might just be programmer art, it is WIP.

@ Shoulder transition

After deeper thinking I concluded rollover prone (urban prone) serves the purpose better and swapping rifle and then leaning is equally complicated.

I think lefties would love the feature but it is not absolutely necessary.

@ Community pre-alpha

I think the current Bi Schedule makes more sense from point of view of developing the game.

Sorry if this has been answered(asked) before but what is the ETA for community alpha, August/September ? :)

Sorry if this has been answered(asked) before but what is the ETA for community alpha, August/September ? :)

Don't think anybody knows what month tbh.

Question:

Why do all the "caseless" weapons (LSAT, MX) spit empty shellcasings when being fired? That doesn´t make sense guuuuyyysss :(((( I know it´s a nitpick, but the whole game seems to be so good that it´s actually worth beginning to nitpick, because the whole package seems to be so good right now.

Don't think anybody knows what month tbh.

Jay Crowe said they're aiming for around August (on the Gamespot video I think)

God I hope not...that would probably mean the release would be pushed back to Q2 2013 or later. :(

Hopefully by the START of August at the latest.

Question:

Why do all the "caseless" weapons (LSAT, MX) spit empty shellcasings when being fired? That doesn´t make sense guuuuyyysss :(((( I know it´s a nitpick, but the whole game seems to be so good that it´s actually worth beginning to nitpick, because the whole package seems to be so good right now.

To add on to that question, I noticed the LSAT/KAC LMG still has an entire belt of ammo even when the ammo display is at 3. I'm assuming it's because the anims are still getting worked out, since Arma 2 has the ammo belts running out with about six cartridges left.

Someone likes it, someone not. Remember, we are still polishing it. Of course, the final decision will be considering community alpha impressions.

My suggestion would be to take the realistic way. Find out what visual aberrations actually do occur under stress, how the body reacts, and add cues.

I´ve had a pretty bad case of shock after waking up from a bad anesthesia when I was a kid. My pupils apparently dilated so far my eyes turned black I was told later. What happend looked pretty fascinating, in hindsight, though really not enjoyable then...

Everything went really bright (pupils dilating), colours got sort of intense and bloomy (excessive light hitting the retina), my blood pressure dove in this specific case, heartrate went trough the roof (beating in the temples, really deep thumping in the ears), noise got really sharp and almost ear-rending and I started to feel extremely cold.

Having rounds blow past you or impacting around you will probably not cause the same symptoms as a staggering metabolism as in my case, but some things will still be pretty similar. Pupils dilating (Brighter scene, more intense colours), tunnel vision (blur from the screen edges extending further towards the center, vignetting), -flinching- and possible involuntary ducking away from the impact, gasping or cursing, as well as faster paced heartbeat and breathing.

Arma is a simulation. Try to make an artwork out of the representation of what -actually happens- with a person, when they are under fire.

when les blood go to your brain you start to hear annoying noise, then shit start getting film grain, then everything goes grayscale like when you are tuning up tv. shitty feeling

Imagine a system that can knock you down when hit, tunnel your vision when being shot and then recover, imagine being blasted with a 7.62 and then get knocked on your ass in that sweet back shooting animation they made, whilst still recovering with blur, hurt sounds stuff like that. Would love to see a system where getting shot means the player / character actually reacts.

@InstaGoat You are nitpicking the whole time.... it sucks, please stop it! Anyway very nice what I am seeing so far! Animations looking great and the overall improvement is amazing. :D

My suggestion would be to take the realistic way. Find out what visual aberrations actually do occur under stress, how the body reacts, and add cues.

I´ve had a pretty bad case of shock after waking up from a bad anesthesia when I was a kid. My pupils apparently dilated so far my eyes turned black I was told later. What happend looked pretty fascinating, in hindsight, though really not enjoyable then...

Everything went really bright (pupils dilating), colours got sort of intense and bloomy (excessive light hitting the retina), my blood pressure dove in this specific case, heartrate went trough the roof (beating in the temples, really deep thumping in the ears), noise got really sharp and almost ear-rending and I started to feel extremely cold.

Having rounds blow past you or impacting around you will probably not cause the same symptoms as a staggering metabolism as in my case, but some things will still be pretty similar. Pupils dilating (Brighter scene, more intense colours), tunnel vision (blur from the screen edges extending further towards the center, vignetting), -flinching- and possible involuntary ducking away from the impact, gasping or cursing, as well as faster paced heartbeat and breathing.

Arma is a simulation. Try to make an artwork out of the representation of what -actually happens- with a person, when they are under fire.

In Medal of Honor 2010, I'm not sure how they do it, dead bodies would jerk when you shot them, kinda simulating bullets hitting the body (only happened to dead bodies, might have been PhysX related). BIS could do something like that, where shots actually affected you (maybe you fall down when getting shot, or you flinch). Blurry screen with a little red hue could do it. Bright screen is a good idea, but ONLY when you get shot. As in, your screen goes bright for an instant and then returns to normal. That could be an indicator of getting shot.

But, like CriminalMinds said, this is nitpicking. Let's just be thankful that there are some improvements from ArmA2. At least we aren't getting another ArmA2 with a different skin, like COD.

@InstaGoat You are nitpicking the whole time.... it sucks, please stop it! Anyway very nice what I am seeing so far! Animations looking great and the overall improvement is amazing. :D

Sorrryyyy I am just seeing this and getting all these Ideas.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to how they´ll handle the community alpha already. If there´s a slim chance, I´ll try to get my comp ready by then and take part, helping to make it the greatest Arma game so far.

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but maybe making the "blood screen" optional, like the headbob and deadzone in the setings would be the best solution. In this case player who dont like it would only disable it, and players who like it would enable it. This way everyone would be satisfied.

I don't know if it was mentioned before, but maybe making the "blood screen" optional, like the headbob and deadzone in the setings would be the best solution. In this case player who dont like it would only disable it, and players who like it would enable it. This way everyone would be satisfied.

Agreed only if it was a server-side thing with the blood-on-screen. Otherwise having it off would be a pretty obvious advantage.