Sign in to follow this  
twisted

MP thoughts

Sinnister

Neither we nor project reality need you to be spamming their name around. Please just stick to the topic.

+1 warning for spamming.

§5) No Spam

We deem spam as making a thread or posting a reply that has no real worth, is irrelevant, useless and offers nothing to a discussion. Messages of banned members are also considered as spam. If your post/thread is not able to illicit or sustain an in depth conversation then it's spam. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles. Spam may be dealt with by post count reduction, PR and/or WL.

Dan;2123392']This' date=' so many times I have tried to join a server, to get messages about not having mods, and then seeing in the list all the other mods I am running + @(insert clan name here).[/quote']

That's when you go to the clan's site and see what mods they run.

All that should be done ingame, automatically. That is ARMA problem.

True but i've stopped launching or even browsing servers from within ArmA over a year ago.

the server browser was updated in OA and You can be assured it will be again improved in A3 ;)

On the fly addon enabling and disabling when joining servers would of course be the ideal, but seeing as the game loads them in at startup, including any core changes they produce, I would imagine this would be rather hard for the current engine to do?

I stopped reading there. Go back to BF3, please.

Why are you being disrespectful? You do realize that there are isthmuses, valleys, mountain passes and bridges in the real world too?

Sandbox Playa - the world is full of natural chokepoints. Welcome to it. Those terrain features seen in game would make good mission scenarios and settings.

When people ask for choke points in a game they understand them as something where human waves run at each other dying and respawning. This is what often ruins gameplay in arcade DM shooters turning it into a respawn-spamming fragfest. So don't be surprised by negative reactions.

If you want to talk real world - nobody would "choke" at them losing hundreds of people with little result. This is 21st century. They would be bombed/grenaded/shot up/etc etc from afar or simply avoided. Which, coincidentally, is how ArmA is played too.

When people ask for choke points in a game they understand them as something where human waves run at each other dying and respawning. This is what often ruins gameplay in arcade DM shooters turning it into a respawn-spamming fragfest. So don't be surprised by negative reactions.

If you want to talk real world - nobody would "choke" at them losing hundreds of people with little result. This is 21st century. They would be bombed/grenaded/shot up/etc etc from afar or simply avoided. Which, coincidentally, is how ArmA is played too.

Wonderfully built straw man argument. 10 points! :)

You know, that's basically what a Squad/Platoon Ambush is, right? You find a road where the enemy is traveling, and where the enemy can only move up and down the road, and you ambush the enemy there. An attacking force would want to "choke" the enemy at one location. So, yes, natural choke points would be very beneficial, not for team vs team multiplayer games, but for coop games, that would be great. And all natural choke points mean is that the ground isn't perfectly flat. There are some depressions, some cuts in the ground, some ravines and things like that, some natural pathways/corridors that are lower elevation than the rest of the terrain. You know, like a mountain pass or something. That is realistic, in case you didn't know. And how do you choke at someone? I've never heard that before. You coke someone. As in you choke the enemy.

Remember Corazol back in Arma1 days? Well, i do quite well, because back then i think i played 6-7 games out of the 12 that were part of a "campaign" in IC-Arma (laters know as Charlie Foxtrot - 100+ players TvT tournament)).

Due to the way the capping system worked, you basically had to move most of your assets across corazol on the other side, including tank and APCs etc. I am talking about a game where there was NO AI here. The place was always levelled by the end of the 3h game, but still, no side was able to push right through that place to the other side, at least not with the heavy hitters.

That is the sort of natural choke points i DO want to see in, especially since i miss taking part in a good tournament, which i hope will change with A3...

Well anything can be a choke point provided the right conditions as long as it isn't made specially to be a choke point e.g. forcing you to come to the exactly the same place to battle it out by map designers.

And you don't want that too. Because it would turn any mission in that area into being the same. You don't really want that.

Leave it to mission designers. Leave it the way it always was.

Looking at the road network there doesn't appear to be many places (near the cities) where you are forced into a single avenue of approach, although natural "chokepoints" appear to materialize themselves in the hilly areas. Not surprising really, and doesn't look artificial.

However, personally I don't object to terrain and building modifications (compared to the real deal) if it potentially enhances the gameplay. Like artificially placed hills, dumps, forests, objects for cover. Even pipelines if they want to reuse some of the old models. For me, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic.

Guess we can all agree that natural "chokepoints" work/feel better on default islands/maps. Imo mission makers will be still able to place as many chokepoints wherever they want into their missions. Why should BIS implement/"hardcode" extra artificial chokepoints into the island/map if the better choice is having them "flexible"/"mobile"? :)

Guess we can all agree that natural "chokepoints" work/feel better on default islands/maps. Imo mission makers will be still able to place as many chokepoints wherever they want into their missions. Why should BIS implement/"hardcode" extra artificial chokepoints into the island/map if the better choice is having them "flexible"/"mobile"? :)

Agreed. Now with the 3D mission editor it will be even easier to create such scenarions. Plus, every vilage is a chokepoint :)

Choke points, not check points ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chokepoint

I tend to think more of it as an environmental feature, or at least heavily planned man made one (such as bridges). I doubt we'll be able to put down bridges wherever we want, and actually have AI use them (AI and BIS bridges - yikes :p).

I also consider "environmental features acting as ambush points" a lot more useful than anything we'll be able to put down in the editor, as those tend to give away themselves. You can't put much on the map before the mission starts to suffer. With natural ones, you never know - keeping us on edge. With editor places ones, they're a giveaway.

At the OP, the experience you are looking for exists already in ARMA2/OA, some clever guys created Project Reality: ARMA, Its a PvP only mini mod (at this point as it doesnt add any content), just very well put together interfaces (which MAKE the game BTW). But for some reason mentioning PR here on the BIS forums is sacreligious. Not sure why as its a mod for ARMA. But anyway, check it out on their website, (just google Project Reality ARMA) its a great mod that has people playing in full 100 man servers several hours a day. Other than that, you may have to join a weekend tournament community, but those seem to be attracting less and less players.

At the OP, the experience you are looking for exists already in ARMA2/OA, some clever guys created Project Reality: ARMA, Its a PvP only mini mod (at this point as it doesnt add any content), just very well put together interfaces (which MAKE the game BTW). But for some reason mentioning PR here on the BIS forums is sacreligious. Not sure why as its a mod for ARMA. But anyway, check it out on their website, (just google Project Reality ARMA) its a great mod that has people playing in full 100 man servers several hours a day. Other than that, you may have to join a weekend tournament community, but those seem to be attracting less and less players.

Sinnister

Neither we nor project reality need you to be spamming their name around. Please just stick to the topic.

+1 warning for spamming.

Sinnister got a warning for posting about how PR is the solution to all problems. So why would you feel it is okay to do the same thing? This isn't about ArmA 2 anyway. This is about ArmA 3. PR has nothing to do with ArmA3. It has everything to do with ArmA2, and as such, belongs in the ArmA2 subforums. Even if what is being requested is present in PR, so what? Playing PR or any mod for that matter won't do an ArmA3 player any good. This topic is not about mods. Period. That's why it's inappropriate to talk about any mod here.

The discussion for MP thoughts is very relative to arma3. I think that if a3 is going to be successful in pvp mp than PR is a great ground floor style play to look at. I did not seek out that other posters comments so its a bit unrealistic to think that I knew he got a warning.

I have a feeling that the a3 devs are acutely aware of how there was no ground floor for pvp gameplay, and have always contended that arma has a double edged sword of sand box gameplay. It's great to do what ever you want, but everyone seems to do what ever they want. Leading to a fractured community as compared to other titles where the Corp gameplay is always constant.

I'm excited to see what a3 does for pvp. Smoother anime and rag doll physics should add a quality component. I hope they tie in squads the way PR did. It made for quick entrance and easy coordination of team play.

PR is not relative to ArmA3. And, even if it is, simply telling someone to go download and play PR isn't related to ArmA3 in any fashion. What would be better is if the eventual tools expedite the PR team's process in making the mod for ArmA3, but once again, that's a discussion for another topic. If you want to discuss how PR's multiplayer is good for ArmA3, then discuss actual features that you would like to see. Don't simply say "Make it like PR". That's not constructive.

On the note of tying in squad, what is the squad system you'd like to see what is this "way" that PR did it? Explain the feature and how it is beneficial for ArmA3. I'd honestly like to see a squad system, or rather, structure, kinda like America's Army, where players actually fill in squad/fireteam roles. Doesn't mean they'd be limited to a certain weapon, but it'd be geared towards community squads that already have an existing structure. This could not only be simply a squad system, but whatever-level system, so maybe Company-level or Platoon-level. It would also give squads a sort of baseline, standard unit structure to go by, and it could even work for COOP as well.

Also, with MP, I know I said earlier that I think BIS should have their own dedicated servers. I understand why that can't work. But that doesn't mean that BIS can't have some official MP game modes. These game modes could be based on the most popular community game modes. I'm a coop guy, so I play Domination alot. BIS could make their own Domination game mode, or their own PvP game modes. That way, no time is wasted waiting for someone to create the most popular game modes currently in ArmA2. That alone would provide a little more structure to BIS's MP.

PR is not relative to ArmA3. And, even if it is, simply telling someone to go download and play PR isn't related to ArmA3 in any fashion. What would be better is if the eventual tools expedite the PR team's process in making the mod for ArmA3, but once again, that's a discussion for another topic. If you want to discuss how PR's multiplayer is good for ArmA3, then discuss actual features that you would like to see. Don't simply say "Make it like PR". That's not constructive.

On the note of tying in squad, what is the squad system you'd like to see what is this "way" that PR did it? Explain the feature and how it is beneficial for ArmA3. I'd honestly like to see a squad system, or rather, structure, kinda like America's Army, where players actually fill in squad/fireteam roles. Doesn't mean they'd be limited to a certain weapon, but it'd be geared towards community squads that already have an existing structure. This could not only be simply a squad system, but whatever-level system, so maybe Company-level or Platoon-level. It would also give squads a sort of baseline, standard unit structure to go by, and it could even work for COOP as well.

Also, with MP, I know I said earlier that I think BIS should have their own dedicated servers. I understand why that can't work. But that doesn't mean that BIS can't have some official MP game modes. These game modes could be based on the most popular community game modes. I'm a coop guy, so I play Domination alot. BIS could make their own Domination game mode, or their own PvP game modes. That way, no time is wasted waiting for someone to create the most popular game modes currently in ArmA2. That alone would provide a little more structure to BIS's MP.

PR is related to ARMA3 because I was drawing a comparison to the two methods, one of which works very well (PR) and the other is lacking in form of any type (STOCK ARMA and possible ARMA3).

the Way PR does squads is they have an ACTUAL GUI to join a squad quickly and effortlessly. Which then tied you into the games built in VOIP that I hope ARMA3 improves upon, because its base idea/layout is VERY effective, but its quality needs some boosts. After joining a squad, the functioning of the squad as far as SL orders is much easier, and intuitive. Something that the default game leaves lacking. Mostly on purpose to allow for modders to come up with novel ideas.

Currently the squad layout is almost always mission side. To bring some sort of baseline gameplay, the devs may want to hard code something (but have the option in the mission to turn it off) this way, even the most basic missions have a squad setup that the less talented mission writer doesn't have to worry about. But the more experienced scripted can take it and improve upon, or go with something completely different all together.

In my experience, one of the larger hurdles for new players is the lack of continuity between servers/missions. making the learning curve near vertical. PR's idea of baseline gameplay, could be a great starting point for ARMA3 in terms of squad mechanics.