Sign in to follow this  
buliwyf

ARMA 2: OA beta build 86873

Imho this annoying chirping bird was silenced but now he is back again. Please fix this sound issue that makes the pilot/gunner/crew hear things they really can't hear while flying or driving in their vehicles. Just try the default OA mission were you have to finish the AH-6 air patrol...

FXAA looks nice have to try all the other settings + some combinations with AA/Atoc. Would be userfriendly to have this via ingame option and some sort of "Preview/testscenery". :)

also what's not mentioned in the changelog are some more crash fixes :)

Has anyone had sound issues with the last beta (86705)?

I've used it twice to host a game for one other player and I cannot hear his gunshots. When he fires on full auto I can but not on single shot. I can hear the terminal sounds just not the bang.

Could it possibly be related to the Direct sound issues?

Yeah with current FXAA everything is extremely blurry. Playing on Chernarus feels like playing ArmA2 Free visually.

i think the FXAA will be ideal if sharpen filter was available as optional (it's now available in the FXAA via d3d9.dll only)

also sorry for not telling You about the beta sooner as was out of the internet reach after it went into compile :)

please report now all crashes You experience it's very important

Well, nice surprises are always fun! I agree 100% that an optional sharpening filter would be optimal with FXAA, as even at lower FXAA settings, there is profound smoothing. I get a -5 fps hit (bench e08) with fxaa=3 and -4 fps hit with fxaa=1 compared to normal settings in signature (tbb4 malloc). But in normal play in Chernarus or Takistan, the performance hit seems minimal, so I think the fxaa implementation is very good. However, I'm not sure that the extra smoothing is necessary at higher render resolutions and at least 4x (normal) fsaa + high or better AF.

Other excellent things about the new fxaa are the reduction in white-pixel speckle in Takistan trees caused by atoc, and, even better, an elimination of the white-pixel speckle around veg and linear objects (i.e. powerlines) when smoke is in the background, at least with fxaa=3 or higher.

I wonder if this setup would be good: fsaa=low, fxaa=1 or 2, atoc=7? Perhaps reducing fsaa would counteract the performance hit of fxaa a little?

Another fantastic beta. Is it just me, or do they keep getting better and better? :)

And I tested [86839] Fixed: Cannot manipulate doors after game was aborted with doors in transit, and it is definitely fixed (not that I had any doubt it would be). But I cannot connect to CIT now, "502 Bad Gateway".

As to the question of atoc=0 by default, I would say DEFINITELY for ToH, but it's a tough call for A2 CO/RNF, as it has been pretty stable with atoc=7 for many past betas, even with a 200 series NVIDIA card (great improvement since vanilla 1.59). If it came down to a hard choice, I would side with atoc=0 by default for the sake of people with less powerful, older systems. But it is hard for me to decide if I like the appearance of Chernarus veg better with or without atoc (it looks good either way, a little more realistic with atoc=0).

so with this beta i dont need to use this: http://a2fxaa.blogspot.com/ anymore?

That one still has some features that BIS' built in FXAA doesn't have (yet?), such as sharpening, as pointed out by Dwarden. You could still use that if you want the full, highly configurable package.

Is there a definition somewhere of what the different FXAA profiles do. I went through 0 to 4 yesterday and I am really struggling to see the difference.

I am set up with aTOC=0, post processing off, AA off and everything else on the highest setting. Screen resolution is 2560x1600 (3D Resolution 100%) on an HD5970-OC.

I was previously running with the 3rd Party FXAA and d3d9.dll (now removed) and I could see the differences when I changed the various values in the settings file.

Note - I have noticed that this beta and/or applying the FXAA stops the white-out from occuring on my AMD card. Previously with a high HDR setting and Vsync off the white out would occur when transitioning from bright to dark areas. Not sure if there is a CIT ticket for that. Third party FXAA did not prevent this from occuring and if I switch back to non-beta I get the white-out.

Black Russian, FXAA is post process AA and differs rapidly from normal FSAA that's why it should not be default AA ... it's supplemental AA (can be combined with FSAA)

also FXAA cause blur and loss of image sharp details plus it may cause issue with UI and cockpit instrument panel elements (too blurred to be read-able)

the answer to that problem would be adoption of enhanced SMAA (subpixel morphological AA) which don't have the blur issue and has far superior quality (especially on multiple concurrent edges)....

Twice lately, once with ToH 1.02 and once with this beta, if I delete my .cfg and have the game re-create it, I get this:

3D_Performance=1500000;

Normally this is computed as 100000 for ToH, and 100000 or 93750 for A2/OA. This high value caused a crash for me in ToH. What is causing this? Is my video card dying?

For ArmA2 I prefer MLAA above all other...

IQ is far better than with FXAA (picture is more 'steady') and it produces zero artifacts (which I have with traditional MSAA).

The slight blurriness can be compensated with higher monitor sharpness.

If there were no artifacts in OA engine when using MSAA I would prefer a combination of FXAA with low or medium MSAA for best IQ.

(plz try n fix the white dots on foliage, BIS; (nm the edges, though, I know that´s dx9/AA related and can´t be fixed in current engine)).

edit: my 3D_Performance changes between 93750, 100000 or 1500000 everytime I recreate cfg;

I don´t think the high value caused your crash, might be coincidence

Edited by @ST

BIS_fnc_arrayShift doesn't work properly, function breaks down at line 20, plz check.

:rolleyes:

I don't think that's the case. Line 20 simply accesses the first element in the given array, that shall be shifted/dropped from that array. Now my guess is, that you're trying to pass an empty array to BIS_fnc_arrayShift, in which case you'll get an array-index out of bounds error or something...

It is your job to make sure, that you don't pass an empty array to BIS_fnc_arrayShift. The function itself cannot process an empty array; what should it return to signal, that arrayShift has failed? false? But that false could be simply the value in a non-empty array (or any other thing, that should indicate an error of arrayShift)...

In conclusion: BIS_fnc_arrayShift is fine; you're just not using it properly.

Strangely enough when launching with the beta I get this:

""Error creating Direct3D 9 Graphical engine""

I can play without the beta, but when I try launching with the beta I get it. I'm currently running the latest Nvidia beta drivers 290.36 :(

Do you run any Mods with the Game?

I´ve got the same Problem today, and for me it was a Conflict with Oktanes NoBlur Addon.

ROFL! Funny you should mention that. I didn't notice that the box was checked in my ArmALauncher. Was indeed the culprit. Oops! I feel so stupid now. :(

Black Russian, FXAA is post process AA and differs rapidly from normal FSAA that's why it should not be default AA ... it's supplemental AA (can be combined with FSAA)

also FXAA cause blur and loss of image sharp details plus it may cause issue with UI and cockpit instrument panel elements (too blurred to be read-able)

the answer to that problem would be adoption of enhanced SMAA (subpixel morphological AA) which don't have the blur issue and has far superior quality (especially on multiple concurrent edges)....

Hasn't the source code and what else you need been released for SMAA already, shouldn't it be fairly easy to implement along side FXAA in the final 1.60 / 1.61?

And perhaps add another level of the graphical menu, like advanced where everything show up - Blur levels, FXAA / SMAA settings, AtoC etc. having to go through config files isn't optimal as you'd have to know in advance ( Not everyone do! ).

@Sethos, let say, we may look into it and evaluate it :) but don't take my words as promise of anything to happen, please ;)

@ST enhanced SMAA is combination of several AA method including MLAA and temporal AA or to be precise variants on it to eliminate problems of FXAA/MLAA ...

Edited by Dwarden

Sethos, let say, we may look into it and evaluate it :) but don't take my words as promise of anything to happen, please ;)

Well, at least there's a tiny bit of hope :) Thanks

:rolleyes:

I don't think that's the case. Line 20 simply accesses the first element in the given array, that shall be shifted/dropped from that array. Now my guess is, that you're trying to pass an empty array to BIS_fnc_arrayShift, in which case you'll get an array-index out of bounds error or something...

It is your job to make sure, that you don't pass an empty array to BIS_fnc_arrayShift. The function itself cannot process an empty array; what should it return to signal, that arrayShift has failed? false? But that false could be simply the value in a non-empty array (or any other thing, that should indicate an error of arrayShift)...

In conclusion: BIS_fnc_arrayShift is fine; you're just not using it properly.

Tks, I didn't use the empty array, for instance:

hint format ["%1",[1,2,3,4] call BIS_fnc_arrayShift];

still report error.