Gunter Severloh

COSLX - An updated version of the original SLX Mod

If you guys want when i get back with the latest updates some time this month, i could put together an ACE compatible version of SLX. Let me know what you think.

Oh my god, yes please! That would be fantastic. ACE is really good in its own right, but SLX definitely had an experience all of its own and would love to be able to see the two playing together. It would definitely be one hell of an experience I'm sure. So yeah, if you could (and willing) to look into it someday and manage it, that would be wonderful man. :)

+1 I would love to see this compatible with ACE when you find the time! I use it now currently but its..eh..buggy at best :)

SLX_NoGibs (which disables dismemberment) seems not to work. Bodies are torn apart anyway, with some kind of freeze just before they "explode". This happens especially with .50 cal sniper rifles.

SLX_NoGibs (which disables dismemberment) seems not to work. Bodies are torn apart anyway, with some kind of freeze just before they "explode". This happens especially with .50 cal sniper rifles.

I can't reproduce this (but see caveat). Are you running any other mods?

Caveat - I don't see a freeze or bodies getting torn apart, except for the .5 cal rifles like the M107 which blow the target apart in vanilla A2/CO.

Depends IRL on the ammunition (which includes an aluminium-tipped round designed to fragment on impact with a soft target for an effect like a mini-hand grenade), but they are really fiercesome weapons. There's a vid on U-tube of a sniper in Iraq with a Barrat using a zirconium-tipped round which had a horrendous effect on the three insurgents hiding behind a brick wall. I won't post the link - be warned, it's pretty gruesome - but if you want to see it search for "Barrat" and "must watch this".

BR

Orcinus

I can't reproduce this (but see caveat). Are you running any other mods?

Caveat - I don't see a freeze or bodies getting torn apart, except for the .5 cal rifles like the M107 which blow the target apart in vanilla A2/CO.

Depends IRL on the ammunition (which includes an aluminium-tipped round designed to fragment on impact with a soft target for an effect like a mini-hand grenade), but they are really fiercesome weapons. There's a vid on U-tube of a sniper in Iraq with a Barrat using a zirconium-tipped round which had a horrendous effect on the three insurgents hiding behind a brick wall. I won't post the link - be warned, it's pretty gruesome - but if you want to see it search for "Barrat" and "must watch this".

BR

Orcinus

I am running other mods, but none of them alters that. Only more units, maps, weapons changes. I am not running whole COSLX, but only some files, and with rifles such as the AWS 50, the M107, the KWSK I got that kind of freeze before the dismemberment. Which, by the way, occurs even with the NoGibs file.

I am running other mods, but none of them alters that. Only more units, maps, weapons changes. I am not running whole COSLX, but only some files, and with rifles such as the AWS 50, the M107, the KWSK I got that kind of freeze before the dismemberment. Which, by the way, occurs even with the NoGibs file.

Sounds to me like a peace of your hardware isnt swaping the model fast enough to be unnoticable. When somone is gibbed it basicly just swaps out the model of a soldier with that of a torso and two legs along with particle effects and blood decals this could cause a slight delay while the new model is loaded. I would say try defraging your HD.

Hi guys to repond to some posts:

Good to hear that you will be getting internet back soon the COSLX mod is my favourite of all the ARMA 2 mods because it makes the battles feel so much more visceral and immersive.

Actually I just found out yesterday I wont have my internet til roughly march 19th the modem im supposed to get is on backorder, so another 2 weeks at best :j: but glad you like the mod, you should check out COWarMod it has COSLX with about 200+ mods in it from the community, from both Arma2 (the ones that work in OA) and OA addons and mods.

In your COSLX mod would it be possible to make helmets fly off and heads pop if hit with a .50 cal? Also the blood pools and spray could use a slight darkening because they show up fairly bright in game.
Sounds like a cool idea but its beyond my skills.
I would love to see a ACE compatible version because ACE has some very nice features.
i could put together an ACE compatible version of SLX.Oh my god, yes please!
+1 I would love to see this compatible with ACE when you find the time!

Thanks for the interest, i will look into, it i will test COSLX with the version of ACE I have and see how it goes.

If you dont want the nogibs then another option is to remove the SLX_Wounds.pbo, but then doing so you lose alot of other features.

I will look into this issue and see if its working or not on my end, then report back when i can. As far as i do know so far I do not get any freezes or hesitation once a body is "blown" aprat from either a 50 cal or bomb ect,. so it could be a number of things, either cpu issues, or as said HD is to fragged.

Hi guys to repond to some posts:

Actually I just found out yesterday I wont have my internet til roughly march 19th the modem im supposed to get is on backorder, so another 2 weeks at best :j: but glad you like the mod, you should check out COWarMod it has COSLX with about 200+ mods in it from the community, from both Arma2 (the ones that work in OA) and OA addons and mods.

Sounds like a cool idea but its beyond my skills.

Thanks for the interest, i will look into, it i will test COSLX with the version of ACE I have and see how it goes.

If you dont want the nogibs then another option is to remove the SLX_Wounds.pbo, but then doing so you lose alot of other features.

I will look into this issue and see if its working or not on my end, then report back when i can. As far as i do know so far I do not get any freezes or hesitation once a body is "blown" aprat from either a 50 cal or bomb ect,. so it could be a number of things, either cpu issues, or as said HD is to fragged.

There was an option in the original SLX (and I don't know if Günter 's reworking has affected it) to disable gibs by putting a line in the mission init that sets the number of gibs to zero. Not sure of the exact entry; the example in the SLX read me for changing the number of gibs is:

SLX_MaxGibs = (6*6);

so I guess variants like SLX_MaxGibs = (0*0); or simply SLX_MaxGibs = (0); would be worth trying.

However, setting SLX gibs to 0 will not alter the default BIS gibs, whether you use SLX_nogibs or the init method; it affects only SLX. I don't know if setting the "Blood" slider in the game options menu will reduce or stop disintegrating bodies, might be worth a try.

BR

Orcinus

Hey guys back again.

I did a little testing and some more and found that what folgore_airborne had posted

was correct, at further distances like 600m+ with an M107 I was hitting the Ai without no gibs effect, in other instances they would gib on occasion but not frequent it was all dependent on where I hit them.

SO indeed the nogibs files does not work, I had opened up that files and slx wounds to look at them further to see what i could figure out, the no gibs is basically like a small patch file with an cfg that has the code SLX_MaxGibs = (0); as Orcinus posted about.

But nothing i can do about this, not really sure why the nogibs is not working. the SLX_wounds file information is huge, you can scroll that config all night and still not get to the end.

What i have done is moved the no gibs to the problems folder stating that the file does not work.

Other SLX News,

last night, or rather yesterday after I left here (the library) I started working and testing a COSLXACE version comparing and testing the files, and currently i have 90% of a COSLXACE compatible version completed, I will be working on an A2SLXACE version but wish to finish the CO version first.

In other SLX News

BUG FIXED from the BUG LIST

On the bug lsit is listed the following entry, you can view this in your readmes, as well as on the first page of the thread.

Removing the following fixes the Hpp file issues:

-SLX_ace_fixes

-SLX_aiskill

-SLX_anim_swim

During my testing with COSLXACE version I had looked at these files for some reason and figured out how to solve the issue related to those 3 files.

basically what happens is when you have those 3 files in your addons folder for SLX, apon starting of the game , the game will ask for the hpp config file.

I opened the files and int he config I had altered the address, basically this address is the folders for which the files are located.

so now you can use those files and the game will find the files in @COSLX/addons/hpp or (A2SLX if your playing with that) as before it was asking for the hpp from this address @SLX/hpp.

Any other reports, questions and or feedback keep me posted, i will get back here when i can.

Edited by Gnter Severloh

Hi guys,

I had built a COSLXACE version, I will have a version availiable for download with all my other updates.

For those that know what their doing, I will provide the list of files needed to remove to make compatible with ACE.

Now these files are not all of them, just what I have found so far as I been working on other things.

In your COSLX addons folder find and remove the following (put them in a storage folder)

Create a folder that says

@COSLXACE

slx_actions

slx_actions.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_anim_grenadethrow

slx_anim_grenadethrow.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_anim_headbob

slx_anim_headbob.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_dialogue

slx_mod_veh_armor

slx_mod_veh_armor.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_modweapons_3d_optics

slx_modweapons_3d_optics.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_optics

slx_optics.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_optics_3d

slx_optics_3d.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_silentvehiclecommands

slx_silentvehiclecommands.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

==================

Optional files to remove

==================

slx_modweapons_mgreload

slx_modweapons_mgreload.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_aiskill

slx_modweapons_sounds

slx_modweapons_sounds.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

slx_modweapons_sounds_impact

slx_modweapons_sounds_impact.pbo.SLX_MOD_A2.bisign

============================================

Questions may arise on how i came to the conclusion that these files are not needed, so heres what I did:

1st I used and tested with a shortcut of -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@COSLXACE

2nd I tested CoSLX & ACE together without any files removed from SLX I had no issues.

3rd I ran 3 games ACE alone, COSLX alone, and then COSLXACE (COSLX + ACE) --> -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@COSLXACE to compare results and notes, I needed to know what COSLX would do, what ACE would do and what COSLX and ACE would do together.

4rth I opened ACE Addons folder and COSLX addons folder and compared notes, what SLX files had similar titles that I can see, then when I found ones, I looked up the file descriptions to make sure I knew what they did (really a refresher for myself).

5thEach file I removed I tested the game without that files using the method in step 3.

6th The current list is what I have come up with so far, this means that i am not done testing.

For every file removed I was looking for 3 things:

1. any errors popping up on the screen apon startup/ingame on mission load/during gameplay (i found none)

2. any listings of rpt errors (i found none)

3. features not working ingame using the ACE game and SLX game alone to compare notes (found none).

So what I had concluded was that those files I had listed that you will need to remove are basically files that are considered redundant, basically they are features that ACE already does, so theres no sense on running them twice, the idea here is to make COSLX compatible with ACE that means recompiling COSLX (removing files where needed). Granted you can remove files in ACE but I leave that open to the users discretion in terms of what they like to play with (features) in their ACE game.

Also the files would alter the behavior of core ACE files that the SLX files are related too, meaning being suttle enough which I have not noticed to alter the gameplay features.

The little testing I have done so far I would like to ask those interested to after removed said files inthe list, to test their game and see if they get features not working, or acting strange, or not normal when they play with ACE and COSLX together hence -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@COSLXACE

Any questions, thoughts, feedback, dont hesitate to ask, til March 19th or sometime therein when i get my internet back :D I wont be consistently on, as I have to travel 2 miles to get here (Library) and well gas cost money, til the next time (I'm might be back monday).

Gunther, if you can't find anything wrong in the nogibs file, how about creating another slx_wounds file with the gibs stuff removed from it?

Günter, do you think for the ACE compatible version that it'll be possible to have like the gibs and some other features work alongside the ACE medic system without having the action menu get cluttered with "bandage/heal" actions? I was also wondering about how SLX had that tracers had a chance to start small fires. I can't remember, but I think that part of SLX had to be disabled either due to bugs or performance issues. I can imagine the medic stuff might be a major pain in the butt to try getting to work together between SLX and ACE, so I wouldn't blame you if you have no plans on diving into such things. But if the tracers thing could eventually be found working would be pretty neat. Just a mere suggestion though while thinking out loud. But I'll try giving the list you provided a go as well and see how things work together. Thanks so much for being willing to try and get SLX to work with ACE. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated for sure, mate. :)

wow nothing else just wow nice work !!!

SLX has always been a silent favorite for me when i played ArmA 2. After CO got released I almost never played it. Then once i discovered ACE, and its medic module got near completion, I never played it. Good to see that someone has taken the time to work on it again and I would love to see this compatible with CO+ACE. Thank you for the effort and Excellent work so far.

Hi guys back again,

To respond to some questions:

folgore_airborne

Gunther, if you can't find anything wrong in the nogibs file, how about creating another slx_wounds file with the gibs stuff removed from it?

Thats would be a good idea, keep in mind that i did not originally build SLX, Solus did, I had looked at slx_wounds many times, and its a very complex file I would need outside help from someone who knows how to script and what to look at, i can alter the files if I knew what part of the slx_wounds to look at and change but as said the scripting,coding is beyond my abilities, Im really a compiler by heart.

Once i get back on the internet I will look into making an alternative version of slx_wounds, but itwill be a small project in itself, as I wont be able to figure it out myself.

Yokhanan

Günter, do you think for the ACE compatible version that it'll be possible to have like the gibs and some other features work alongside the ACE medic system without having the action menu get cluttered with "bandage/heal" actions?

Yes it may be possible, i will have to look into the medical aspect of both mods specifically, there may be a way already to get it working together, but its just a hunch atm, I'll need to review the slx files and do some testing just for that specifically, if I'm wrong then that would be a project in which I would need some outside help to figure out.

Your question is a similar question that was actually asked before.

I was also wondering about how SLX had that tracers had a chance to start small fires. I can't remember, but I think that part of SLX had to be disabled either due to bugs or performance issues.
i vaguely remember something like that, I would have to look into the files to see that was anywhere.
nowke

wow nothing else just wow nice work !!!

Thank you very much, mod will only get better once Im back online in my element.

Chibi-Alien

SLX has always been a silent favorite for me when i played ArmA 2. After CO got released I almost never played it. Then once i discovered ACE, and its medic module got near completion, I never played it. Good to see that someone has taken the time to work on it again and I would love to see this compatible with CO+ACE. Thank you for the effort and Excellent work so far.

Guys test that list and report back, also just test COSLXACE and see if you find any issues coming up, as Im sure theres a few more files that need to be removed. I may be back one more time this week and then this coming monday (after my Birthday:p) I will have my internet back, that will be a nice present after all this time out (roughly 4 months without internet! :eek:)

Hi Günther,

first things first: hats off to your ongoing support for an all-time favourite mod since OFP days. Mods like SLX make an already great game get closer to perfection. Especially if gamers have a lot of different PBOs from which to choose individual features, they can customize their very own unique idea of the "perfect game".

And since you took your time and improved upon the original SLX, especially by pointing clearly out which files do what and which are trouble candidates, it is even better suited for the players that like to mix their own modset together from various overhauls.

After favouring ACE wounding in my SP games for quite some time, I recently tried in a usermade mission ("Sting of the Scorpion" on Duala) what happens to wounding if I have both ace_sys_wounding and slx_wounds active with COSLX loading after ACE. Also I put in the SLX .pbos that remove BIS First Aid action menu entries.

As it says in your COSLX readme, the SLX wounding automatically recognized and then disabled ACE wounding. The ACE interaction menu generally worked, but no medical examination options for self or other people was there. It worked fine alongside the ACE weapon damage; only I found that there were more incapacitated soldiers compared to an ACE wounding game.

Healing those incapacitated enemies made them surrender. Also, one could violate the Geneva Convention and simply finish the wounded off, if one had so little a conscience... ("Sorry for that, but we really can't take prisoners. This is not directed personally against you, just... we have no room in the car for you, so - good bye, molatian rebel and long live democracy and freedom!")

I also believe the recognition of soldier classes worked, i.e. SF soldiers in my team were quite proficient at first aid while the Afrenian soldiers on our side had no great skill to treat the more serious injuries. Medics, but also regular soldiers tried to rescue their wounded comrades who were yelling miserably (maybe that yelling was from Jarheads soundmod, but it made you really feel like they needed YOU to draw them out of the line of fire).

Overall, given the fact that on top of the wounding SLX gives you an option to drag CSW or ammo boxes as well as the wounded and given the great extra fun of that dragging stuff working after a loading savegame, too, which sometimes isn't the case with ACE CSW dragging, I'd say the SLX wounding has the more robust code.

Granted, ACE wounding is more sophisticated with Bandages and the chems and the examining, plus there is a mod by Robalo which adds ACE medic stuff to ammo crates and certain vehicles when playing missions that were not written for ACE wounding, but as it is now, I'd say take SLX wounding code as base and then try to incorporate what works from ACE. But for ACE there have to be the ACE medical items somehow added into every mission, if not, you might not be able to stop bleeding and the like.

Hope that was not too long a post, but I had a great mission on Duala with this mix and again - keep up the good work you do for all of us by maintaining COSLX!

touristo

Thanks for the informative post touristo and providing insight into your experience using the two together. :D

The group I play with (as well as myself personally) really enjoy the ACE medic system (i.e. the ability to examine, provide CPR, compression, bandaging as well as giving epi and morphine) as it just makes the whole operation as well as being a medic role feel a little bit more "hands on" than just walking up and instantly healing or something. Know what I mean? The downside is from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong), we have to pretty much right now choose between the two main systems? I'm hoping that in time something eventually can evolve to where we get the good from both sides as although I really enjoy the ACE medic system and it's capabilities as I've said above, but I really like a lot of the elements from SLX's--such as being able to shoot and injur someone's hands causing an accidental weapon drop, head wounds can possibly cause deafness, etc. I mean some of these elements are just....."Wow!", you know? I mean if there can be some sort of co-existence between the two, aw man I would be in heaven, heh.

There is an option to manually gun in attack helicopters. How do you get out of that view? Esc doesn't work so I crash. :eek:

There is an option to manually gun in attack helicopters. How do you get out of that view? Esc doesn't work so I crash. :eek:

backspace.

Hi fellas,

I am back officially, I have Internet at home! back to what I do best after 4 months of BS, and alot of work.

Anyways thanks for the replies since my last post, as well as very descriptive posts touristo and Yokhanan.

I havent worked on COSLXACE since my last post, so about a week, i did do a test the other day as per request one of you guys wanted an SLX_wounds.pbo without the gibs (dismemberment), well news on that, I have successfully created a version without gibs, BUTunsuccessfully I get 2 errors popping up and well the side effect is theres no blood, so i will need some outside help on this version of slx_wounds, the game however does not crash, or freeze, so thats a plus.

As for COSLXACE version, I need to test more and see how I can get the wounding and medial aspect of SLX to work with ACE.

I have alot of work ahead of me on my mods other then SLX so please be patient with me, I do have lots of time I.. no kids, and basically have roughly between 1pm-8pm everyday, and of course sat, sun, all day mon off, so time is not a problem, its really just a matter where i allocate my energies, plus i have alot of catching up to do, updating, ect,. atm.

Any questions, feedback, insights, to help me with th emod, please ask, or post, i appreciate, the feedback, and support, as well as your patience, in this great mod.

ps I wish Solus were here to help, or at least upgrade his mod, but maybe when Arma3 yields itself, maybe Solus will reappear, we will never know, for now we can do what we can, I am here for you guys.

Didn't search through the thread, but the one thing I most want fixed from the SLX mod was the vehicle damage, mostly for the helicopters. It was awesome that they could catch fire in flight and just overall better damage effects. Seems like now if you get hit a little too much you just blow up. I forget which patch of CO started giving that pbo issues, but I was bummed out when it did.

Hi fellas,

I am back officially, I have Internet at home! back to what I do best after 4 months of BS, and alot of work.

Anyways thanks for the replies since my last post, as well as very descriptive posts touristo and Yokhanan.

Welcome back Günter, that's excellent news.

When you get time - it would be really useful to be able to disable weapon dropping. The animation is great, but it can be next-to-impossible to pick up a launcher. Also, I've noticed sometimes that dropped weapons vanish (even when you know that no other unit has approached the corpse & grabbed them). Might be nice to be able to disable the SLX auto-rearm if using asr_ai.

Cheers

Orcinus

Thanks for the welcome back, feels good to be back at my own desk for once.

one thing I most want fixed from the SLX mod was the vehicle damage, mostly for the helicopters. It was awesome that they could catch fire in flight and just overall better damage effects.

I will look into this, I tested the vehicle effects before, and had no issues at times, bu then I believe that the real issue was with when choppers get destroyed that the vehicle effects.pbo crashed the game, this is one of the bug files.

it would be really useful to be able to disable weapon dropping. The animation is great, but it can be next-to-impossible to pick up a launcher.

I very much agree with you on the challenge of picking up launchers, even weapons themselves, I believe there is a certain spot on the body or next to it to pick them up, but also i think that it would be random specific to how the body is laying, but I will look into this too.

In general I'm not a scripter or coder or anything of the like, I know how to implement scripts, and codes, and what not, and open and edit files, but understand what to change and where can be a real challenge, I'd really like to have someone that knows how the scripting works to assist me on some of these SLX projects, as I would really like to fullfil these requests.

I did say i have the time but patience is another thing, I do also have another series of mods (WarMod) that are demanding my attention, as well as the Ace version of SLX.

Thanks for the feedback, i will take note.

Gentlemen, I had added an new About SLX Page to my website seen here:

http://warmod.webs.com/aboutslx.htm

its not done Im still thinking of some ideas, or more questions for that page, if any of you guys can think of anything that would perk up that page then let me know,

Im open to ideas.