Sign in to follow this  
BobcatBob

Do/will AI in Arma have unlimited ammo?

Couldn't find anything using the search function...

If they do already, what is the AI's behavior once they run out of ammunition?

If around, will the AI pick up other weapons/ammo found in the environment by deafualt?

They don't have unlimited ammo. Once they are low on ammo they inform you so you can either have them pick up ammo or switch weapons from a dead enemy/friendly soldier.

There is a mod that let them do this automatically but i can't remember waht it's called. I do know that it adds an entry in your action menu that gives you a menu to change some settings.

Couldn't find anything using the search function...

If they do already, what is the AI's behavior once they run out of ammunition?

If around, will the AI pick up other weapons/ammo found in the environment by deafualt?

I really hope that the AI will react on the situation at the time.

IE. Inform you (the SL) that they are running out of ammo. The reaction should be

1. that he is given another mag from another AI or even you without any interaction.

2. He automatically loots a nearby corpse or injured soldier for weapons / ammo

This also goes for like medics, whenever a team is injured he should automatically start treatment without the need for you to give the order

This also goes for like medics, whenever a team is injured he should automatically start treatment without the need for you to give the order

A very silly thing to do for which medic will get a lot of trouble on his ass in the real army. Provided he won't catch a bullet rushing to the dude that was just hit.

Nobody ever does anything without the order from his superior and it should stay that way.

I really hope that the AI will react on the situation at the time.

IE. Inform you (the SL) that they are running out of ammo. The reaction should be

1. that he is given another mag from another AI or even you without any interaction.

2. He automatically loots a nearby corpse or injured soldier for weapons / ammo

Think about it, if someone was hit and the medic runs of to heal him, then the medic will most likely get hit too.

First take care of the enemy, then send your medic.

I was also more curioius as to ENEMY AI. If they are low on ammo (say b/c they have been trying to get you from a long distance where they keep missing their shots) will they then try to advance w/o firing so that if they can close distance and survie they then have a MUCH higher chance of hitting me? Or will AI continue to favor engagement at a distance until all ammo is expendad and they cannot defend themselves.

Ai will have Ammo and such as they do know, game may change, but not much in the general perspective as it is.

If BIS would incorporate Rob's mod here:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12105

The AI would rearm themselves on their own making them be more human like as you dont have to babysit them.

So, as of now, when an AI soldier in a completely AI-controlled squad runs out of ammunition, he will not attempt to rearm himself nor will his AI commander order him to do so? If that is the case, then it must be changed in ArmA 3.

I have seen enemy AI find ammo once they totally run out. Rarely happens though.

At least that is what I think was happening. They may have run over to a dead body, leaned down to it, and then reloaded their gun for some other reason but I don't know why that would be.

In ArmA2 and onwards, once the AI is out of ammo they will try to rearm themselves. Your leader does even sometimes issue rearm orders to you, when you tell him that you are low on ammo.

If the AI has to rearm, the rearm consists of amunition of the same weapon and handgrenades.

If in the ammobox are weapons with ammunition not the same as the AI, then they will disregard it (e.g. an out of ammo soldier won't trade in his AK74 for an M16 at the next ammobox or dead guy).

AI without ammo will most likely retreat or has a high chance of surrendering, if the surrender module is on.

I noticed that they run out of ammo during a zombie mission, after protecting a road for a few waves of zombies the soldiers just stopped shooting...:(

In FlagFightGuns (legendary mission, btw, probably the best ever made) those shifty AI will pick up Makarov mags while you're not looking and pop a cap in your derriere.

Think about it, if someone was hit and the medic runs of to heal him, then the medic will most likely get hit too.

First take care of the enemy, then send your medic.

The AI already does this when you order it to heal.

It doesn't run blindly in. It takes it's own sweet time.

Set the AI to heal by default and give us the option to cancel it if it is borking up our gameplay.

Not good. If enemies are coming from all sides, you need all the firepower you can muster to repel them. You can always treat injuries later, only the team leader should make that call.

Default AI behaviour (AI not linked to a player) should be to share ammo and fall back once ammo is generally running low, and to full on flee once out of ammo. Perhaps a standard marker, sort of like respawn_west, could be used as a "fleeing AI rally point" for mission makers.

Nothing worse than AI lying spinning on the floor and gormlessly looking up at you with an empty rifle.

There have been several effective rearming and auto-medic scripts around, I currently use ASR and DAP, I find they give very good behaviours without screwing up tactical situations. I much prefer an auto-medic, especially one that can make basic priority decisions. He still looks after himself as a priority, but any lull in the fighting and he goes to work while I do other stuff.

And same with the rearming stuff. They look after the immediate situation as a prioroty, but when they run out of ammo, they don't just lie there waiting for the end. They go looking for stuff.

I also make use of the excellent All Round Defence script, makes all units circle you facing outward, except for any medic who will move up next to you, ready for orders.

Hi, on the ArmA2 i've seen AIs running back more than 4000m to get ammo after being ordered to 'Rearm At xx-xx' by the SL or TL, instead take the weapon of the closer fallen soldier friend or foe and use it; a bad, pointless and stupid thing if you ask me. Let's C ya

A very silly thing to do for which medic will get a lot of trouble on his ass in the real army. Provided he won't catch a bullet rushing to the dude that was just hit.

Nobody ever does anything without the order from his superior and it should stay that way.

yea no one in the military ever thinks for themselves....i dont think the guy is saying make medics run in to extreme danger to heal someone....he just wants these AI to do things on their own, that make sense...this is a video game, we shouldnt have to micromanage our troops...i mean are you saying in real life a medic will just look and stare lifelessly at a wounded soldier right next to him, untill he is given an order to do something, or in real life would that medic get to work considering that they themselves were not put in danger (remember first responder training is the scene safe) , (along with other soldiers nearby assisting with the response)

Edited by tk1138

I don’t think anyone would want un-limited ammo for ai, they need to run out as any human would over time if the combat was heavy, just need any of the mod’s around that have them scavenge for re-placement ammo/weapons without the need to be ordered to, provided its reasonably safe to do so and nearby.. GL4, ASR, SLX and others have this feature..

Arma3 should have the best ai to come out of this type of sim/game if BI take any notice of the mod’s out there, the high standard that has been achieved by the mod community has really helped advance AI capabilities, this should be built into A3, and I really hope it is..

Having said that the standard AI built into A2 was pretty good..

I don’t think anyone would want un-limited ammo for ai, they need to run out as any human would over time if the combat was heavy, just need any of the mod’s around that have them scavenge for re-placement ammo/weapons without the need to be ordered to, provided its reasonably safe to do so and nearby.. GL4, ASR, SLX and others have this feature..

Arma3 should have the best ai to come out of this type of sim/game if BI take any notice of the mod’s out there, the high standard that has been achieved by the mod community has really helped advance AI capabilities, this should be built into A3, and I really hope it is..

Having said that the standard AI built into A2 was pretty good..

Hope I'm not necroposting, but:

I would definately not call that "pretty good". Also the godlike AK-sniping is really annoying at times.

I know, I know.. MODS FIXETH! And I do use for example the Zeus AI mod, but only thing I've seen is that the AI now take forever to follow you, for example running from building to building goes more like:

"COVERING, GO!"

Guys lie in the middle of the road under enemy fire.

"GO GO GO!"

One of them starts running back to the way we came, even though going forward would lead to a safe zone.

"*n* is dead"

Replace *n* with any number the AI soldiers had. :rolleyes:

Seriously hoping for better AI for ArmA 3.

I just really hope they fix they annoying AI bugs with stance and behavior after initial contact, IE if contact is broken the AI should (unless scripted or set up via way points or something to do other wise) peruse the contact for a bit, then return, and slowly move back to a looser "Careless" idle stance