Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I personally thought the gun looked a lot like it was just pasted there and the player was just looking through a camera. It's got that "bouncy" effect when the player walks. Look how similar it is to Battlefield 3.

Prepare for a big fat "I told you so" from metalcraze. Yeah, it looks like its from BF3. But remember, most of the community seemed to want animations from BF3 so here we are. I don't think it will have that much of an impact on gameplay as long as there is no quick scoping. But it will make all those BF3 players feel a bit more at home when playing arma 3. BI is trying to expand to accommodate a wider audience. same goes for the "press spacebar to continue". There was a huge discussion about how to make arma more accessible without dumbing it down... well here it is. BI is making it super easy to learn.

I suppose it's better than a totally stiff animation. It makes it feel more real.

I suppose it's better than a totally stiff animation. It makes it feel more real.

ArmA doesn't have a stiff animation, in ArmA II, it doesn't bounce back and forth like that. And when he turns really quickly, the gun kinda "rotates", just like it does in Battlefield.

I prefer what little I'm seeing in that vid over what we have in A2. First person weapons view wise, much smoother and wont have me reaching for 3rd person.

Edited by Trauma.au

ArmA doesn't have a stiff animation, in ArmA II, it doesn't bounce back and forth like that. And when he turns really quickly, the gun kinda "rotates", just like it does in Battlefield.

Do you think this means better close range accuracy?

What do you think the 'pistol' combat pace will be like? Even better for CQB?

Edited by Rye

There was a huge discussion about how to make arma more accessible without dumbing it down... well here it is. BI is making it super easy to learn.

BF3 camera is dumbing down.

I think the mysterious gun is Mix of Bushmaster/Remington ACR and XCR = very interesting gun

it kinda reminds me GRAW type gun like CRYE but not the bullpup version

I think the mysterious gun is Mix of Bushmaster/Remington ACR and XCR = very interesting gun

it kinda reminds me GRAW type gun like CRYE but not the bullpup version

Could very well be the case.

... BI is trying to expand to accommodate a wider audience. same goes for the "press spacebar to continue"...

Are you actually being serious about this?

They made a hub for demo scenarios for E3 and to access them you need to come close to a character and press space. Are you not thinking about the fact that it's actually there so it is convenient to the presenters instead of having to actually load up different missions (as seen on many A2 presentations) and not related to actual gameplay elements? Or the second "press space" thing on the underwater splash screen so they can explain what you're about to see to the people who are there? Just like, I don't know, last E3 presentation that had the almost exact thing (show a segment of gameplay, splash screen explaining stuff, some more gameplay) except it had no wording?

I'm surprised that teleporting to a scenario AFTER pressing space doesn't bother you. :D

Edited by Sniperwolf572

If super-mega floating zone is no longer an option I will self-destruct. :D

In other news, forward-facing firing stance is fine, haters gonna hate.

(as seen on many A2 presentations)

Perhaps a long time ago a a bit off-topic, but where can I find those?

OMG - now it seems that they have found their next prey in their Seek-And-Destroy-Everything-That-Looks-Smells-Feels-Like-Or-Reminds-Of-BF3-Hunt: The new tactical pace... :(

Please not again...

Edited by Undeceived

.............So say for example you come to a scene with six lights in one spot, rather than have all six cast shadows, give that ability to only one or two and bam, you have your scene shadows without eating up frame rates because every light is casting one............

This would achieve nothing, merely make the shadows lighter. Think about it. Hint: shadow is absence of light.

OMG - now it seems that they have found their next prey in their Seek-And-Destroy-Everything-That-Looks-Smells-Feels-Like-Or-Reminds-Of-BF3-Hunt: The new tactical pace... :(

Please not again...

Rivetcounters with their own skewed perception of realism will pounce anything they think is threatening their status quo. At the beginning I thought with discussion and reasoning, you could show them that new stuff and creative stuff wasn´t so dangerous. Unfortunately, it´s so much of an ideology, it doesn´t come down to arguments, but beliefs. In this case, opinions.

And nothing is worth less than an individuals opinion. Mine, or anyone elses. What is worth is actual effects. I like the new tactical pace. If you watch helmet cam videos from tactical shoots irl, oftentimes the operators are actually able to keep their gun just as stable as it is there. Real life apparently is unrealistic too :(

Rivetcounters with their own skewed perception of realism will pounce anything they think is threatening their status quo. At the beginning I thought with discussion and reasoning, you could show them that new stuff and creative stuff wasn´t so dangerous. Unfortunately, it´s so much of an ideology, it doesn´t come down to arguments, but beliefs. In this case, opinions.

And nothing is worth less than an individuals opinion. Mine, or anyone elses. What is worth is actual effects. I like the new tactical pace. If you watch helmet cam videos from tactical shoots irl, oftentimes the operators are actually able to keep their gun just as stable as it is there. Real life apparently is unrealistic too :(

Yeah, and the funny thing is that I bet that if Arma had such a tactical pace first (just like it looks now) and then BF3 was released later on, certain people would complain how DICE dared to steal such a realistic feature into their "down-dumbed" game. :D

Oh, how pointless this sh*t is (in my opinion ;) )...

BF3 camera is dumbing down.

Could you elaborate why? Do you know how much they invested in their animation (and camera) system to make it more realistic? You are being most ignorant of all here, whenever someone even mentions BF3, here you are, with another pointless comment. I told you 3 times by now (and you never replied to that), BF3 has full body simulated in first person, just like Arma, only difference is that BF3 has done it far better compared to Arma until now. Arma 3 animations looking closer to BF3 is anything but bad.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but I personally thought the gun looked a lot like it was just pasted there and the player was just looking through a camera. It's got that "bouncy" effect when the player walks. Look how similar it is to Battlefield 3.

Did you ever take your time to take a look at some of the DICE technology demonstration, where developers talk about their game? You might get surprised. It certainly wasn't pasted there, animation system just got improved, that's all. For the rest, read my comment above.

Edited by Minoza

I actually replied to you Minoza that BF3 doesn't simulate the body when you first asked to. It shows hands and feet mostly. You may be running but camera which is supposed to be your head will be absolutely steady. Animations in 3rd and 1st person are completely different. In BF3 hands and upper body are completely static while only feet move. In other words BF3 animations are no different from Flintstones.

So ArmA3 animations looking closer to BF3 are anything but good and realistic.

I don't know man - in a place where I live when you move the whole body moves, not just feet while everything else is perma stuck in the same position.

Maybe in 2035 people move differently for all I know.

Edited by metalcraze

I actually replied to you Minoza that BF3 doesn't simulate the body. It shows hands and feet mostly. You may be running but camera which is supposed to be your head will be absolutely steady. Animations in 3rd and 1st person are completely different. In BF3 hands and upper body are completely static while only feet move.

Did you ever handle firearms and actually shoot with them?

Yep, AKM. Aiming and hitting stuff 100-200m away was a challenge to me compared to ArmA2 where I can 1-shot snipe people 200m away with the same gun because of how precise and steady it is. I most likely just sucked at shooting the real AKM as professionals can run and gun people down with surgical precision 100m away like some claim here?

Are you actually being serious about this?

They made a hub for demo scenarios for E3 and to access them you need to come close to a character and press space. Are you not thinking about the fact that it's actually there so it is convenient to the presenters instead of having to actually load up different missions (as seen on many A2 presentations) and not related to actual gameplay elements? Or the second "press space" thing on the underwater splash screen so they can explain what you're about to see to the people who are there? Just like, I don't know, last E3 presentation that had the almost exact thing (show a segment of gameplay, splash screen explaining stuff, some more gameplay) except it had no wording?

I'm surprised that teleporting to a scenario AFTER pressing space doesn't bother you.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not complaining at all. I am just stating, that one of BI's goals and the community goals was to make arma 3 easier to get into, with a better user interface, and it looks like it is not just talk. They are actually doing it. Its a good thing. Maybe your right and that whole "press space" was just for the presenters, but it looks quite alot like a the kind of interface you see in a console game. I strongly believe it is one of those things BI is trying to do to make new players feel comfortable with arma, and to prevent them from getting lost and giving up on it. Maybe I am just overthinking it but what I'm saying does make sense doesn't it? maybe I have misinterpreted your post but it seems you are kind of jumping on me. I'm not sure why.

I dont see anything wrong about it.

I actually replied to you Minoza that BF3 doesn't simulate the body when you first asked to. It shows hands and feet mostly. You may be running but camera which is supposed to be your head will be absolutely steady. Animations in 3rd and 1st person are completely different. In BF3 hands and upper body are completely static while only feet move. In other words BF3 animations are no different from Flintstones.

I don't know man - in a place where I live when you move the whole body moves, not just feet while everything else is perma stuck in the same position.

Maybe in 2035 people move differently for all I know.

I apologize, I must have somehow overlooked your reply. You are wrong though, there are several occasions where you can see the rest of your body (try wider FOV :D). Animations are the same, that's why some of them look a bit funny from 3rd person, because they are made to look cool from the first person. Sports games animations were their inspiration, that's why they invested in researching how human body actually moves, and how to simulate that in a game, but still retain stability which human brain provides when you move. Extensive head bobbing like in Arma is anything but realistic, our brain stabilizes image, otherwise you would puke after 15 seconds of walking, just like Arma makes me when I crouch and walk, using default head bob. Btw, there's a camera attached to a body in Arma as welll... I don't see what's wrong with that, it doesn't make sense that the camera moves like it's sticked to the head, because, as I said, human brain doesn't work like that.

Unfortunately, there is no SDK/modding tools for BF3 yet, but there are for Crysis 2, you can see their system, you can even open it up in 3D software like Max/Maya and check it out, their movement system too looks more like BF3 than like Arma 2. My point is, your point with floating hands isn't good, Crysis 2 proves that.

Edited by Minoza