Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

As long as phrase generator will still provide me with detailed info on enemy positions I couldn't care less if soldiers don't shout in overly dramatic voices of Jake Skullies, Batmans and Merle Dixons like stuck up kids today want.

Don't forget to leave "Where are you?" and "Can't get there!" in A3 and maybe re-introduce the "Uuuwwhhhhhh my leg!!" painful A2 cry.... if only just for some nostalgic lulz. :D

You suppose right ;)

Does that extend to the multiplayer identity (i.e. player profile ?). In other words, can I put my name as a sample in there and get addressed by that in MP sessions ?

You suppose right ;)

Nice :) So the trick will be to get BIS voice actors to speak specific names when we need them :)

Why ? Those are pure facts. They have not even a alpha complete.

I personally can guarantee you they have. So your "facts" are nothing but a proof that you don't even know what you are talking about.

I personally can guarantee you they have. So your "facts" are nothing but a proof that you don't even know what you are talking about.

Yes... but you are a power hungry mod working for the MAN and you are probably lying to us... how can we trust you?

ONTOP:

So if BI is doing the whole spoken name radio chatter, I guess they would have to record a wicked amount of family names in order to keep it variable... as well as a way to check if said name is already in use more then, let's say 2 times (doesn't A2 already do this? )

It's quite possible they will record just "John, Jack, Mike, Tony" and so on so forth.

If phrase-gen also did it like we do it in MP - since often it's impossible to remember who (as in nickname) has what role when there are 40+ people playing. Squad/fireteam leaders rather say "Medic go there do that", "MG to the corner", "Marksman take position there" etc

Yet I don't see the problem with how it's done until now. Not only it's informative (will you really know whether Lacy is AR or medic in some user made mission you never touched until that moment?) but it's kinda... series defining perk. Ditching it will take away some ArmA out of ArmA.

Like when BIS ditched death quotes. ArmA2 lost some of that OFP feeling in an instant.

Edited by metalcraze

Oh man... that picture is wrong on so many levels :p

Beautiful... but so wrong. Oh and I guess the rail-tank phobics can take a chill pill now.

isnt that black eagle?)))))))))))))))))

It's based on it anyway. BI calls it the T-100. I hope that the rail/coil/etc gun version is still in-game though.

It's quite possible they will record just "John, Jack, Mike, Tony" and so on so forth.

If phrase-gen also did it like we do it in MP - since often it's impossible to remember who (as in nickname) has what role when there are 40+ people playing. Squad/fireteam leaders rather say "Medic go there do that", "MG to the corner", "Marksman take position there" etc

Yet I don't see the problem with how it's done until now. Not only it's informative (will you really know whether Lacy is AR or medic in some user made mission you never touched until that moment?) but it's kinda... series defining perk. Ditching it will take away some ArmA out of ArmA.

Like when BIS ditched death quotes. ArmA2 lost some of that OFP feeling in an instant.

Well, actually, they will record "Crowe, Lacey, Pezlar, Smith, Doe, etc". Just to be nitpicky ;)

And I bet that this new voice thing is more appropriate for singleplayer. Also, notice how Moricky said that the whole 2, go hear, 500m thing is done. Nothing said about calling them by their actual role. So, what I expect, is that the names will be used for single player with your NPCs, and for everything else units will be called by their roles, not by their numbers.

It's based on it anyway. BI calls it the T-100. I hope that the rail/coil/etc gun version is still in-game though.

Probably one of the modules to the tank.

Oi, get out of my photobucket BI. http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/misc/opposingforces.jpg Though I'll admit the romantic view of the ocean sunset is better.

That said, aside from being cute, there is actually quite a bit to ascertain from that screencap..for one we see the strange blue "wet" environmental map is gone from the shadowed side, and that light is more varied with soft transferring cross the shaded side. Despite there being a hot spot of light AND the sun right there, the scene remains lit rather than darkening (woo more good news for HDR) though the sun has me curious..is it in full glare in third person now or is it illuminating a cloud.

There may (probably environment map but much better done) be light bouncing indicated by the soft blue shading on the tanks chasis matching the sky and possibly the shadows being blue tinted rather than black, detailed terrain no longer rendered only a short distance away (with the inclusion of normal and now specular maps on the ground woo), soft shrubbery shading and of course the woooo view distance.

And of course gamewise we can see something we wouldn't in Arma 2, caterpillar tracks conformed to terrain at such an angle. I think this is a good V-day gift.

Edited by NodUnit

I personally can guarantee you they have.

I hope they did something with tank/aircraft damage system too... That would be very good and useful for addition.

Edited by raptor90

And of course gamewise we can see something we wouldn't in Arma 2, caterpillar tracks conformed to terrain at such an angle.

If you look closely at the T-100's tracks, you'll notice they're clipping through flat ground. :nener:

maybe its realistic mud simulation:rolleyes:

(edit) hm, now I remember that mud is supposed to be in Arma 3, even though that screenshot doesn't look especially muddy

Edited by frostwyrm333

That picture is... hmm the terrain and background look nice...

Regarding ai voices, I don't much care how they do it (what I heard sounded nice though) but I sincerely hope ai will stop with the o'clock directions and instead use numbered compass bearings. It'd also be nice if they called out more precise ranges and gave direction and distance when ordering you to engage the enemy.

Much of last year's explanations from Jay made me believe that to the devs, "taking away some of Arma out of Arma" is the point...
Regarding ai voices, I don't much care how they do it (what I heard sounded nice though) but I sincerely hope ai will stop with the o'clock directions and instead use numbered compass bearings. It'd also be nice if they called out more precise ranges and gave direction and distance when ordering you to engage the enemy.
This is way more important, if only because my standard method of contact reports is to use bearings.

This is way more important, if only because my standard method of contact reports is to use bearings.

same here. Plus I have yet to figure out how the ai orient their clock...