Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Are we sure this is for the full game? And not a list of whats not/is in the alpha?

- AI stays fundamentally the same but better configured

Please note this actually means a lot. Without significant engine side AI changes, a lot can still be achieved by fine-tuning all weapons' and vehicles' params which AI is using when perceiving the world.

I'm talking about turning situations in which AI enemy spots and kills you with terminator-like precision into actually engaging firefight requiring tactical approach and proper use of cover.

And don't worry, we can design stuff now, just vehicles behaves like

until some new engine updates are fully implemented ;)

Are we sure this is for the full game? And not a list of whats not/is in the alpha?
Well the warfare alternative which Ivan was talking about sounds like it definitely won't be in the alpha but added in a later patch/update.

Whether some of the other listed info will be in the alpha/full/release/added later we don't know for certain, as was mentioned in the podcast17 interview, it seems like the aim of the alpha is to include the basics of the game and especially test out new features to check that they are compatible with most people's systems and fix them if they aren't, more content can easily be added later.

Please note this actually means a lot. Without significant engine side AI changes, a lot can still be achieved by fine-tuning all weapons' and vehicles' params which AI is using when perceiving the world.

I'm talking about turning situations in which AI enemy spots and kills you with terminator-like precision into actually engaging firefight requiring tactical approach and proper use of cover.

And don't worry, we can design stuff now, just vehicles behaves like

until some new engine updates are fully implemented ;)

OK, that sounds quite good but what do they mean by

- no alternative AI behaviour

?

And please tell us why the 3D Editor won´t be in the game. Do you have difficulties implementing it? Not enough time?

I demand a delay of ARMA III to Q4 2013 so the 3D editor can be implemented! :cool:

Seriously lads, Are we 100% sure that the list drawn up from that interview is meant for the full game? If the list refers to the alpha it won't be so bad

It's probably for the full game. At least, until we hear otherwise I think we should assume that it is.

Overall I'm not too bummed out, though. Gaia says that the AI may still be noticeably improved and there is still a chance for the 3D editor.

However, if anyone wants to continue to push for these changes then there are always the focus groups: http://www.bistudio.com/english/home/news/projects/317-arma-3-focus-groups

Who needs AI when you have zombies or pvp?

Sorry I couldn't resist, but i would like to hear more about BIS Tools 3? or improvements to terrain editing.

Very disappointed to hear about the 3d editor. It would make the usermade missions much better and yet way easier to make.

And the ai... Not surprised or really upset the there is no alternative behaviors. But the only "configuration" changes is not what I wanted to hear at all. No doubt these will improve the game, but oa still has MANY ai problems that I don't think are config based, and are really hurting the realism/capability of the ai. Honestly config changes seems to be the "easy" way out. Even mods (ASR) can fix this to an extent. It is the deeper functionality problems that need to be fixed IMO.

And don't even get me started on how badly arma needs improved cqb ai, and suppressable ai. Both of which I doubt will be done via configuration changes.

Looking good... Does not look like a Radio Comms systems is being implemented... damn... even a simple radio with 5 channels would be nice. At least let groups talk to each other without using Side chat. Anyway still looking forward to the alpha.

I demand a delay of ARMA III to Q4 2013 so the 3D editor can be implemented! :cool:

not as extra, after arma III being released? How very kind of u, sir!

If we don't have a 3D editor, we should have a fast preview to check the arrangement of certain objects. That way, building a fort won't take hours, and we can just check the arrangement of a few statics in a few seconds.

I don't see really why the BIS don't want to give us 3D editor , it is that really hard to do? even VBS2 has 3 special 3D editors and we can't get simple and working 3D editor? (i know - i can't compare with VBS , but still its kinda silly)

Am I missing something here I though 3d editor was one of the first confirmed features for Arma 3 :confused:

Was looking forward too it.

Looking good... Does not look like a Radio Comms systems is being implemented... damn... even a simple radio with 5 channels would be nice. At least let groups talk to each other without using Side chat. Anyway still looking forward to the alpha.

actually they talked about it on the interview but the answer was not really definite

please don't take everything I said 100% seriously and quote it, the game is still in alpha, things change

Speaking of the alpha, we dont have any idea of when the beta/preview will be released do we?

But back to the 3D editor, BIS will hopefully put it in as they stated they would a while ago, If they dont. Everyone doesnt have to cry over it,

We do fine with the 2D editor dont we? (=

actually they talked about it on the interview but the answer was not really definite

please don't take everything I said 100% seriously and quote it, the game is still in alpha, things change

And that is why I said "Does not" other than "Is not". From the interview it seemed they are improving the comms protocol but not the features... the features are very very low on the priority. I know it is Alpha... and with Alpha's they are usually not feature locked...so all is not lost...same with the 3D editor.

Never forget what we have had for Arma2/OA through beta's / patches, the AI was tweaked through this process, so although they may fine tune AI config wise for release, nothing suggest (to me) that this wont be expanded upon and tweaked post release, or that behaviour of AI wont get noted in Alpha to be modified more before initial release .. so plenty of stages yet.

As for 3D editor, I feel BIS if they cant get it in on release, would at least dedicate some resource/team to it as an update later. Or release under modding utils as some kind of addon structure.

Let's pretend the last 5 mins didn't happen and all try again shall we? :)

What happened? Or did not happen?

There was a sophisticated and engaging discussion about Wikipedia stating that Arma3 will have a 3D mission editor.

Timnos are you from Limnos ? :)

I hope a 3d editor will be available for us. Even later after the release I dont care but it would be great to have it.