Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

How record realistic animation for soldiers:

-Actor must have knowledges about anatomy

-MoCap artist must be weared (have on self all tactical equipmet with original weight)

-Animations must be recorded on real soldiers, because perfect movements in his head, exept home-sitting fat mom-boys :(, sorry

Atleast on of the mocap actors are a soldier, also I dont know if mocap technology allows you to have full gear while "mocaping"

I mean simulate weight and gear mass, becuase human with light gear have another walking behaviour

You can't wear full gear you need a black suit or a dark suit to have a good reflection quality by the sensor. Anyway we don't see all the animation and i think that's still on wip for the moment and we can already judge the work of smookie with his very nice anim pack.

Ok, particly maby you right, M1n1dou :), times show, but be noticed about this mistake :)

About soute reflections, I know, but posible to wear special gear for weight simulation, with inner pockets that allow you to increase the weight (they can put weights)

For BIS Animators: Please REWORK jogging and runnig animations he looking ugly as in StarWars movie!

For BIS Animators: Please REWORK jogging and runnig animations he looking ugly as in StarWars movie!

i dunno about you, but in training when i was advancing towards an enemy position..i did kinda jog like he did (notice he is holding a fore grip,like the AUG i use)

and did kneel down like him before he gets shot

Another thing that annoys me is how every scope has that silly real-time range finder that scans the distance 100 times a second.

So knowing the range to your target is a bad idea?

Slatts, with that all, ok i mean jogging animation is realy ugly as in Star Wars :D Compare it ;)

Slatts, with that all, ok i mean jogging animation is realy ugly as in Star Wars :D Compare it ;)

which one? the girl or the soldiers?

My first mod for A3 will probably be to remove that bikini :D

No, but if you fire any LRF constantly you'll burn the laser out.

Even the best current-generation LRF's can only be fired once every 3 or 4 seconds.

So this derpy constantly-updated LRF (as was added in OA) is really not very realistic.

Everything looks great except for one thing. The clouds. They are the Take On Choppers clouds which look funny when you change your viewing angle. That is they change a lot by just moving your head. I guess it is a graphic engine limitation.

Everything looks great except for one thing. The clouds. They are the Take On Choppers clouds which look funny when you change your viewing angle. That is they change a lot by just moving your head. I guess it is a graphic engine limitation.

You are kidding right? You want 2D clouds back? because of that issue?

Edited by RobertHammer

Nice vid. So...are we going to be able to make armies of M60 toting Bikini girls? You know it makes sense BIS!! Weapons for Women! Equal rights!

While they look extremely good, this issue is indeed annoying. I am not totally sure if it is related to this specific issue, but I made a ticket on the A3 CIT which might fix this and in addition allow modders like OS to use particles made in 3rd party applications. :)

And you wouldn't know that without dumbing down? You know - like using your eyes and stuff?

Why not implement auto zeroing too then? Let's make dumbing down come a full circle. Why stop at magical range finders inside every single optics that never burn and run out of juice while scanning the range on their own all the time, several times a second - while in reality the life expectancy of such range finder would be less than a minute?

Edited by metalcraze

You are kidding right? You want 2D clouds back? because of that issue?

where did I say that? All I said was I don't like them. They just like in Take on Helicopters is very distracting when scanning. I hope they trial another technique, if possible. Because I don't think it is a bug but a graphic engine quirk.

And you wouldn't know that without dumbing down? You know - like using your eyes and stuff?

Why not implement auto zeroing too then? Let's make dumbing down come a full circle. Why stop at magical range finders inside every single optics that never burn and run out of juice while scanning the range on their own all the time, several times a second - while in reality the life expectancy of such range finder would be less than a minute?

Metalcraze, I agree with you on the point of the LRF's not being implemented in a pure realistic fashoin, however I don't think an average player would consider it to be a serious (or even noticable) issue. To me, improved behaviour of LRF's sounds like something ACE mod could tackle. And on a gamedesign related note, if we can get over the fact of railguns on tanks I believe we can get over superdurable LRF's.

BIS, you may be a bit surprised to see criticism towards the new animnations, as people cried out for new ones.

But not all of the Arma 2 ones were bad. There were some that begged for new versions, but e.g. the walking animation and jogging (with rifle) were pretty good and looked very realistic. Damn, they were so great that I even remember where I saw them the first time! In the trailer about the USMC faction.

Unfortunately I have to say that I can't say the same positive things about the new (armed jogging) animations. So far it does not top the old one but rather seems to be a step backwards. Of course, this is only my own opinion. I'm looking forward to see how the anims develop.

Other than that the game looks absolutely amazing and it will be hard for me trying to resist to try out the Alpha! :D

Hi, i have to insist in that the aiming while walking animations seem to impeed the close combat and also the indoors fighting, until that don't get a very big improvement... the gameplay gonna be the same and the ArmA3 will be a complete face's wash but that's all, new skin same bones; they should fix this if they really want to get and keep new players and old players too. Let's C ya

BIS read this please

BIS, you may be a bit surprised to see criticism towards the new animnations, as people cried out for new ones.

But not all of the Arma 2 ones were bad. There were some that begged for new versions, but e.g. the walking animation and jogging (with rifle) were pretty good and looked very realistic. Damn, they were so great that I even remember where I saw them the first time! In the trailer about the USMC faction.

Unfortunately I have to say that I can't say the same positive things about the new (armed jogging) animations. So far it does not top the old one but rather seems to be a step backwards. Of course, this is only my own opinion. I'm looking forward to see how the anims develop.

Yo, Damn mate!!! Today lot of gamers of Euro/Asian Community talking about this too, its looooong step to back!!! we discuss this runing and joging animations, because he is bullshit very ugly! :(

you can see this animations in Arma1!

You are not alone who think about some Arma2 good anims! :)

+100500 to our means!

BIS: PLEASE rework this anims, its shit, we sayd this again (solidary speaking on behalf of all those surveyed players - ~100 potential clients-gamers)

what were you thinking when did this anims?

Perhaps my words are too critical, but only in the harsh criticism makes people reconsider their business from a different point of view, and avoid similar mistakes in the future. I hope you understand me

Undeceived, take a five :)!

interesting, bis read this topics or all this words fallen in deap hole, devs and anims, somebody answer please about this animations

Edited by J-Guid

Hi, i have to insist in that the aiming while walking animations seem to impeed the close combat and also the indoors fighting, until that don't get a very big improvement... the gameplay gonna be the same and the ArmA3 will be a complete face's wash but that's all, new skin same bones; they should fix this if they really want to get and keep new players and old players too. Let's C ya

i dont see your point? i hold the walk button and i can aim while moving, the animations dont impeed me

i just dont see what you mean

BIS: PLEASE rework this anims, its shit, we sayd this again (solidary speaking on behalf of all those surveyed players - ~100 potential clients-gamers)

what were you thinking when did this anims?

I hate to speak for others, but I think they were responding to feedback that the old anims sucked. All the new animations are shit? That's a bag of ass.

pretend to hold a weapon with a fore grip..the lower it to a 45 degree angle..then jog forward

you shall see the animation is quite real

remember that a real person acted like this in a mo-cap suit( a real soldier too)..the animations are not unrealistic

EDIT: the only one i would like to be changed was the girl running

i dont see your point? i hold the walk button and i can aim while moving, the animations dont impeed me

i just dont see what you mean

I mean that the walking aiming animations don't seem to have been improved, so you can't land accurate fire at short distances and neither on indoors enviroments as this animations seem to be as bad and jerky as on the previous games; unimproved. IMO in therms of gameplay this is the biggest drawback thing on the ArmA series and is the cause why the game is less popular or have more players.