Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Looking for the SP bootcamp campaign.

BTW, what is it on the picture? Is it ZEUS or 3D editor?

Looks like Zeus to me, sort of a training room with supervisor.

I'm curious about the loadout editor. Besides being the obvious (export and import, yay!) it looks like it might be something like the armory in Arma 2. Dunno about anyone else, but I miss the Armory.

Well for instance, you would have a penalty to aiming as in where your sights are when you turn, kind of like in real life where you may be able to turn quickly with a big weapon, but actually shouldering and bearing the weapon accurately right after would be very very hard to do. That's what it sounds like to me, basically a randomization of where your "aimpoint" would actually end up after quickly turning.

You can see 2 new "clothing items" in this pic:

http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/roadmap_14_15_16.jpg

The blog was a good read. I'm glad with the extra effort placed towards helping new/old players getting more out of the platform :thumbs-up:

Yep new cool looking (FIA?) uniform and a mask!

Actually 3! http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/roadmap_14_15_4.jpg Those gloves tho!

http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/roadmap_14_15_3.jpg Offroad (Repair)! Probably some new FIA offroads! :D

Edited by Nightmare515

Looks like Zeus to me, sort of a training room with supervisor.

I'm curious about the loadout editor. Besides being the obvious (export and import, yay!) it looks like it might be something like the armory in Arma 2. Dunno about anyone else, but I miss the Armory.

Not only export and import, but it seems like it will be able to save loadouts to profile so any mission/mod could use it as a built in LEA kinda thing.

Not only export and import, but it seems like it will be able to save loadouts to profile so any mission/mod could use it as a built in LEA kinda thing.

If so, I hope it is optional, as in mission makers can prohibit it. I prefer to have my missions with mission-determined load outs.

So how exactly will this work?

And what if I use a machinegun? With that in CQB it doesn´t really matter if i`m not 100% on target after turning...

good point. I hope it means that the heavier the weapon the slower it'll lag in movemnet behind you but that your actual movemnet speed wont be affected much. although, hefting a m240 or pkp should really slow you down a 'bit'. But I'm sure they've got it as Bis are a bunch of smart guys, mostly.

If so, I hope it is optional, as in mission makers can prohibit it. I prefer to have my missions with mission-determined load outs.

I think Sniperwolf's wording ("any mission/mod could use it") is correct here - mission makers would be able to access and use this information if they desire, but it's highly doubtful that players will be able to override mission loadouts with this. It would make no sense at all.

So how exactly will this work?

One of our team is currently preparing a more detailed report about weapon sway and fatigue.

Once these features hit dev-branch, we plan to share it and gather feedback (we're currently evaluating what we're ready to roll out. Hopefully more details in today's SITREP).

We know it's going to be a tough mechanic to get right, so we want to at least be clear about what the intention is and, ideally, iterate on some details of the implementation.

Best,

RiE

But I'm sure they've got it as Bis are a bunch of smart guys, mostly.

Ouch. There's a sting in the tail of that compliment. :)

I think Sniperwolf's wording ("any mission/mod could use it") is correct here - mission makers would be able to access and use this information if they desire, but it's highly doubtful that players will be able to override mission loadouts with this. It would make no sense at all.

I don't think they'd ruin their own missions by making it available at all times. Dibs on a placeable module that lets you enable it in your mission if you'd like.

This is also going to simplify testing assets in the editor. No need to rummage through ammo boxes or know classnames.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Bottom line, customer feedback (as a whole, not as in single voices on the forum) is of vital importance to any company that wants to make a profit. Because a company lives from their customers, not the other way around, and if the customers refuse to buy, they won't be the ones going bust over it.

Finding out what the actual customer thinks about the things you do is difficult, though. I'm not really sure how it could be done (Steam surveys, possibly?), because waiting to see how sales and consumption develop always puts you behind the curve.

However, the new things BI is showing with the recently presented Bootcamp update are interesting. I have pretty much stopped playing Arma 3 recently and switched to War Thunder, mostly because I am unhappy with how armor protection for vehicles and infantry works in this game, and because the AI is mostly a source of frustration in recent updates. Not their precision, but rather their handling and speed of spotting and shooting at targets: best example is the virtually blind tanks.

The lack of interesting game modes and gameplay systems in multiplayer, which isn't helping with fostering multiplayer culture, is exagerrating the AI problem even more to me. Joining a squad isn't an option because hose require an additional investment in time and effort beyond the game I simply cannot spare at this point in time, and gameplay modes I am actually interested in are nonexistent right now. Warthunder offers me the kind of gameplay as far as speed is concerned, but I'd rather have that fast-paced dive in and win (or loose but still have fun) experience but with the Arma 3 gameplay, world and assets.

So far, most of my friends have been on the fence as far as Arma 3, but I hope that future developments will convince them. Sound, Performance and AI are critical for that, and neither of those are satisfactory right now. Especially the sound is broken, with problems that have existed since alpha unadressed: Sound distortion and artifacts when firing machineguns (sharp crackling and overboost cutouts), sound aliasing artifacts when firing the main guns on the tanks, MG sounds cutting out over distance or not playing at all, etc. Many of those problems have been on the tracker for a long time too.

I know, I'm just putting it out there. Right now, it's all speculation. That it would be an option is something I would assume, since it would possibly break some missions, but then, so did the red circle which was eventually removed. I feel it is better to raise potential issues before they are made a feature.

This tool offers an overview of the available content, and enables customised loadouts to be exported to script, which can be used in the editor, other game modes, such as Zeus, and by community scenarios/mods.

To me it just sounds that it will export the load out config so that it can be used in the editor by the mission maker and subsequently in different mission scenarios.

Edited by Maio

One of our team is currently preparing a more detailed report about weapon sway and fatigue.

Once these features hit dev-branch, we plan to share it and gather feedback (we're currently evaluating what we're ready to roll out. Hopefully more details in today's SITREP).

We know it's going to be a tough mechanic to get right, so we want to at least be clear about what the intention is and, ideally, iterate on some details of the implementation.

Best,

RiE

Splendid :rthumb:

To me it just sounds that it will export the load out config so that it can be used in the editor by the mission maker and subsequently in different mission scenarios.

Look at the screenshot, save and load buttons would be redundant in addition to the import or export if it only did import/export:

Save - Saves the loadout, probably with a name/icon to the profile space so it can be later loaded by script ([] call BIS_fnc_getAllLoadouts, [this, 0] call BIS_fnc_applyLoadout) / module (Place it to access a menu that lists saved loadouts and lets you apply them)/whatever.

Load - Loads one of the saved loadouts

Export - Exports the loadout into script solution so you can just dump it in the unit init or share with others

Import - You can dump the export here if you got it from someone else

They're making a functional feature instead of simply a mission maker assist by spewing out code.

Look at the screenshot, save and load buttons would be redundant in addition to the import or export if it only did import/export:

Save - Saves the loadout, probably with a name/icon to the profile space so it can be later loaded by script ([] call BIS_fnc_getAllLoadouts, [this, 0] call BIS_fnc_applyLoadout) / module (Place it to access a menu that lists saved loadouts and lets you apply them)/whatever.

Export - Exports the loadout into script solution so you can just dump it in the unit init or share with others

They're making a functional feature instead of simply a mission maker assist by spewing out code.

Well, the Save and Load buttons could be specific to this dialog and "only" be used for the "try out" function, provided this is some sort of re-imagining of the Armory. Right now, most of this is speculation unfortunately.

Fair interpretation, however this is my take:

Save- Saves the current gear combination you created for future use within the virtual arsenal.

Load- Loads a previously created and saved gear combination.

I can see the above being used as a backup/alternative to keeping all your gear combinations in a txt file :)

Export and Import - As you said.

Try- Test your currently selected gear combo, regardless if it was created on the spot, loaded from a preset or imported.

EDIT

Sorta ninja'd by Alwaren :D

Edited by Maio

Fair argument, and yes I agree, Arsenal will use it, but I see no reason why they'd gimp it so that saved loadouts are only used within the Arsenal itself. It would needlessly prevent good stuff resulting from loadouts being available to scripting and a really good, built in alternative to mods that provide such features, etc.

Either way, I'm 99.9999...% sure it's saved to profile namespace. From there it can be read by script even if BI doesn't provide relevant functions.

Finding out what the actual customer thinks about the things you do is difficult, though. I'm not really sure how it could be done (Steam surveys, possibly?), because waiting to see how sales and consumption develop always puts you behind the curve.

However, the new things BI is showing with the recently presented Bootcamp update are interesting. I have pretty much stopped playing Arma 3 recently and switched to War Thunder, mostly because I am unhappy with how armor protection for vehicles and infantry works in this game, and because the AI is mostly a source of frustration in recent updates. Not their precision, but rather their handling and speed of spotting and shooting at targets: best example is the virtually blind tanks.

The lack of interesting game modes and gameplay systems in multiplayer, which isn't helping with fostering multiplayer culture, is exagerrating the AI problem even more to me. Joining a squad isn't an option because hose require an additional investment in time and effort beyond the game I simply cannot spare at this point in time, and gameplay modes I am actually interested in are nonexistent right now. Warthunder offers me the kind of gameplay as far as speed is concerned, but I'd rather have that fast-paced dive in and win (or loose but still have fun) experience but with the Arma 3 gameplay, world and assets.

So far, most of my friends have been on the fence as far as Arma 3, but I hope that future developments will convince them. Sound, Performance and AI are critical for that, and neither of those are satisfactory right now. Especially the sound is broken, with problems that have existed since alpha unadressed: Sound distortion and artifacts when firing machineguns (sharp crackling and overboost cutouts), sound aliasing artifacts when firing the main guns on the tanks, MG sounds cutting out over distance or not playing at all, etc. Many of those problems have been on the tracker for a long time too.

Lol? First off, do you play Arcade or Realistic. Arma is a tactically pased game for the most part, you want fast dive in? This isn't the game for you. However, people can create mission like this, but it tends to be hard because some people play this like it's battlefield. For the rest of the comment, save it for the other thread in General and Dev Branch, this is the Reveal Thread bro.

If the weapon sway goes the way i believe it will, then it should be on par with Arma 2's great inertia system. Although, i wish there was an option to enable the cross-hair we had in Arma 2, to Arma 3. The two lines showed where you were facing, and the center dot, your barrel. If you have an M-107 in hand and turned fast, your center dot wouldn't line up center as fast as you did, due to the weight and length of the weapon. This makes complete sense, and shouldn't be too hard to implement in Arma 3. Can't wait to see the results.

The last screenshot confuses me:

roadmap_14_15_17.jpg

This doesn't seem like Altis nor like any other BI Map? Is this a hint to what we might see on the upcoming new terrain? Or is it just for bootcamp training? Or is it even on Altis and I missed it entirely? IF so, where can I find this place?

http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/roadmap_14_15_17.jpg

This doesn't seem like Altis nor like any other BI Map? Is this a hint to what we might see on the upcoming new terrain? Or is it just for bootcamp training? Or is it even on Altis and I missed it entirely? IF so, where can I find this place?

Lol, no. North by Oreocastro, theres a Desert/Arid area. This is what it looks like. No new map.

http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/roadmap_14_15_17.jpg

It's at 080225

cEElCmU.jpg