Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Community Feedback Thread - TOH:CP

Using the X360 controller, there is no response to pushing the right thumb stick down, so I can't nose down in the chopper. I'll try again after the next patch! :D

Im having the same problem. However, Ive had great fun flying with a (very old) joystick this evening!!

I love this new interface! I want it integrated into ArmA 2 OA/CO!!! Or at least the color mixer.

Well, I finally pulled off a landing without dying horribly.

+1 on the throttle not being responsive enough - you can't recover quickly enough 90% of the time when you are touching down and your chopper faceplants.

Has anyone tried autorotating?

Also, if one of you Black Shark pros would like to explain trim and how the hell it works (slash, how to tame it in ToH:CP) in less than 2 paragraphs, you get a virtual beer.

I just use autotrim. I don't think my little 20 dollar joystick is made to handle it lol.

Can't even fly straight for me... tends to rotate in circle. Totally different from how OA handles helis. Need more practice

Can't even fly straight for me... tends to rotate in circle. Totally different from how OA handles helis. Need more practice

Autotrim is your friend. :)

Also, if one of you Black Shark pros would like to explain trim and how the hell it works (slash, how to tame it in ToH:CP) in less than 2 paragraphs, you get a virtual beer.

As I see it after playing for few minutes trim is completely different from DCS Ka-50... To be more correct trim is the same its the implementation which is different. Move your cyclic and rudder pedals where you want them to be and press Manual Trim Set. In game cyclic and rudder pedals will keep its position.

Edited by USSRsniper

Well, I finally had enough time to give this a go and I have some feedback. The following observations are based on my first hour using the community preview. For whatever it's worth, I do hold FAA helicopter pilot certificates but I only logged about 500 hours PIC when I moved on from aviation and flight instructing in 2008. Most of my time is in the Schweizer 300C/Cbi and a small amount is in the MD-500D and MD-520N.

Now that we go that out of the way, I'll start with the things I felt need work:

1) There appears to be an animated vibration for Effective Translational Lift around 25-35 knots as indicated on the airspeed indicator. The expected increase in lift after passing through ETL is either absent or extremely understated. Also, ETL should be effective sooner, at about 15-20 knots.

(Note: A helicopter performing poorly due to heavy weight and hot/high conditions will barely slog through ETL and the increased lift will be much less noticeable.)

2) There appears to be a joystick deadzone of the X and Y axis that hasn't been decreased from ArmA II. This deadzone will cause players to make too large of control movements, over compensate, and eventuallly swing around like a pendulum. It's possible this is just my hardware (Microsoft Sidewinder) but if not, I recommend shrinking the deadzone and implementing a deadzone slider control in the options.

3) I think the helicopter's tendency to keep rolling into a banked turn has been exaggerated. This applies somewhat to the behavior in a hover also. The rotor disc is a giant gyroscope, it doesn't like moving around much. At 100 knots on the airspeed indicator, this over rolling tendency is very evident in right hand turns, while left hand turns are not very effective and feel out of trim. There may be some nose dipping going on in turns also, I'd have to spend more time to verify this.

And some little things:

- the torque indicator moves but isn't going high enough (you probably knew this already)

-I don't know if that modeled pilot is supposed to be an American but you wouldn't find an American helicopter pilot caught dead wearing a scarf...ever.

I'd also like to say that I'm very impressed with how the flight model is coming along since ArmA II. I was quite surprised to find ground effect working when I tried to land.

On that note, my collective inputs work just fine below 50%, I'm not sure what the other users are talking about but I think they expect a helicopter to move like an airplane would at low thrust settings. Most helicopters will not leave the ground near 50% collective, you have to pull in a lot of pitch before the skids leave the ground.

Edited by LeftSkidLow

-Please put the HUD airspeed in knots, or maybe give the option.

Go to Options, Game Options, and there you can switch units from Metric to Imperial.

Go to Options, Game Options, and there you can switch units from Metric to Imperial.

Thanks! I should have looked for that before posting, I'm removing it from the original post.

Autotrim is your friend. :)

Indeed, but the control is still very wild. Still trying to tame this beast on my logitech f3d stick...

But this engine is indeed built for flight sim, putting a few J35B in the editor with a few Su34. It's a blast.

this is so much fun! thanks for letting us test this BI!

suggestion: now that you can open the doors of the heli, you should definitely allow get into the vehicle only when the door is open. this way it would be a very cool gameplay feature instead of a just visual feature.

;1965165']Check your difficulity settings' date=' extended HUD was disabled for me by default :)[/quote']

Ah - nice one ! There's also a few other 'helpers' available in 'recruit' such as the ability to disable the effect of wind.

Another tip for anyone using an analogue controller for the collective.. you need to map the 'brake' function to the bottom half of the controller if you want to get full control over the collective ! Landings are a bit easier since I worked that one out ;)

Great job BiS, loving it sofar...

My comment at the moments would be: (Having only a few hours flying time in a Robinson R22)

-YAW(pedals) are not sensitive enough. I mean full deflection in a hover would spin the aircraft ALOT faster. (Full deflection would never be used tho perhaps in high crosswind)

-I think the roll effect is too high with auto-trim off.

Small detail but when main rotors are destroyed the engine should over rev. (go high pitch and then probably fail)

The main thing that hit me when I first flew a real heli is how ridiculously sensitive all the controls are. In reality the cyclic only needs to be moved millimeters in normal flight.

On a separate note:

I'm not so keen on new UI layout. For some reason I prefer the menus in the middle or right side.

Edited by EDcase

EDIT: Disregard this, think Analogue controls was the fix.

Edited by Sethos

Ah - nice one ! There's also a few other 'helpers' available in 'recruit' such as the ability to disable the effect of wind.

Another tip for anyone using an analogue controller for the collective.. you need to map the 'brake' function to the bottom half of the controller if you want to get full control over the collective ! Landings are a bit easier since I worked that one out ;)

Can't thank you enough. I saw the brake (analogue) option in the controlls but couldn't figure what it was.

2) There appears to be a joystick deadzone of the X and Y axis that hasn't been decreased from ArmA II. This deadzone will cause players to make too large of control movements, over compensate, and eventuallly swing around like a pendulum. It's possible this is just my hardware (Microsoft Sidewinder) but if not, I recommend shrinking the deadzone and implementing a deadzone slider control in the options.

+1

Or something like in any other flight sim: axis sensitivity.

600px-Curves_smooth_yaw.jpg

http://en.wiki.riseofflight.com/index.php?title=Responses

Edited by Le_CuLtO

little feddback:

a simulation aspect that makes the game very enjoyable to play, that's what missing a lot! Toh is on track, giving the sensation of realism and flight

without too much difficulty.

+ +: Interactive Model of the helicopter

+ Doors open (with open animation)

+ Control buttons (on / off switch and push / pull)

+ Stick axis (turn righ the stick turn right in game)

+ Left bottom mirror (fully work for back and look from under the heli)

+ Possibility to put on ligh the day and anti-collision test mod

+ One feels the weight of the helicopter that we must master

+ Breakable part of heli ( i broke mrot and now its not on heli; dont know where he is, but i break it ^^ )

Should be interesting to put the auto start mode only for easy and normal level game.

Only enter in heli when the door is open, i think its more immersive and give utility for the open interaction. Or open door for ejection

Maybe more detail in instrument panel ( fuel and engine status ) led control ( green/red )

Why not* an animation for entering in heli ( not directly teleport in, and the same anim can be used for other heli ) for a litlle little compirison, the opening and entering animation in the GTA look good ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0eG2pp-SkWA#t=83s

Only one bug, after put off the engine in ext view, go back to 1 view and the rotor continue to turn.

Edited by MisTyK

I understand that this is early days but the shadow of the rotors on the ground are not nice.

I think it would be better not to have any shadow of rotors on the ground as they would be very faint and diffused anyway.

Friction with ground is a bit too high.

Edited by EDcase

please note that you saw all of this in the original arma 2 (oa) engine and not the updated TOH one ;)

Hi everyone, thanks for your feedback so far.

Separating the 'narrative' feedback into distinct topic-based threads will make it a little easier to respond to; i.e., 'Throttle' or 'animations'.

We won't have time to go through it all really until next week, although there are some plans for releasing the next patch soon, maybe Monday or more likely Tuesday. For now, enjoy the new features and the rest of your weekends!

Best,

RiE

Ok, just a little note: when you're setting up the controls, be sure to map the 'thrust (analogue)' and 'brake (analogue)' to control your collective more accurately.

Why not* an animation for entering in heli ( not directly teleport in, and the same anim can be used for other heli )

Animations are very WiP, we'd expect to see getting in and out animations made possible in the final build.

Lastly, I can't emphasise enough to those having setup problems to read the 'read me'. I'll try to make it a little clearer, but there's only so much you can do! :D

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

No problems flying her what so ever really, apart from the odd brain fart where I see I'm flying in ARMA and switch back to 'retard' flight mode. I look forward to trying new builds so I can feedback properly. At the moment there isn't really much to say. Good stuff RIE and Co.

Hello,

do not see critical to our post, just suggestions from a small

mission. I am convinced that there is a lot of work we do not see cause it used in ArmA2 at the moment. We just sent message in a bottle, hoping that a developer can open it! :D

Well I wasn´t that interested in Take on until now, but this little preview has showed me how beautifull it is to fly around without blowing stuff up.

I really like the Freelook inside the helicopter, where you can activate switches by looking at them. The flying was different than the usual arma flying and I had to get used to it but it was really fun after a minute.

I totally crashed my first landing and was very surprised to see ground effect on my second one.

The Auto trimm function is very much needed since I fly with mouse and Keyboard, thank you for integrating it.

Now I have some wishes.

-Please include this Flightmodel in Arma 3

-Please make Community Previews for Arma 3 so that Bugs can be ironed out before the Release

-Please add this Object Viewdistance into the next OA patch

-And please keep Toh playable for people without Joysticks (its fine as it is now)

I really start to like this game and I´m looking forward to its release.

Now I have some wishes.

-Please include this Flightmodel in Arma 3

-Please make Community Previews for Arma 3 so that Bugs can be ironed out before the Release

-Please add this Object Viewdistance into the next OA patch

-And please keep Toh playable for people without Joysticks (its fine as it is now)

+1 to the above. Definitely think that it's a good move from BIS to have a BIS preview to sort out the bugs or have better game play from community feedback.

I wasn't really interested in helo sims that doesnt involve blowing things up, but TOH seems to be getting me enthusiastically wanted to try out more.

My feedback on TOH would be:

1. The green icons sometimes seems elusive such as the door icon or the rotor brake icon. would be good if something more obvious is put in place.

2. like some has mentioned, the animation of door is more for visual if it's not used when entering the helos.

3. Flying the helo is a steep learning process, maybe a novice or beginner difficulty can be created so that new players can start with the basics first then eventually learn the harder stuffs like trim.

Thanks BIS.