Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Community Feedback Thread - TOH:CP

I can't believe that people want realistic flight characterisitcs etc and play with mouse and keyboard :eek:

If you are into flying how can you NOT use a joystick???????

Lol, this is coming from a community whom is mostly playing this for the FPS or infantry factor :P

Hi Guys, i uploaded a video my friend made. His impression is that it is AWESOME!!!111one

Very nice - interesting to contrast his flying with my 'drunken bumblebee' style :)

I really don´t know why I should get myself a Joystick?

Lets see the benefits of a joystick:

There is a joystick->I have my mouse, works great if the game is designed in a good way

Ther are buttons on a joystick->I have my keyboard with way more buttons

Lol, this is coming from a community whom is mostly playing this for the FPS or infantry factor :P

What gave you that false idea? Why do you think there are so many people asking for more flight realism????

I really don´t know why I should get myself a Joystick?

Lets see the benefits of a joystick:

There is a joystick->I have my mouse, works great if the game is designed in a good way

Ther are buttons on a joystick->I have my keyboard with way more buttons

If you like flying then YES, you need a joystick. Do you know of any real aircraft that are controlled with keyboad and mouse?????

We are off topic so I'm not going to discuss this any more.

Edited by EDcase

If you like flying then YES, you need a joystick. Do you know of any real aircraft that are controlled with keyboad and mouse?????

We are off topic so I'm not going to discuss this any more.

No, you don't need a joystick because the devs have done the mouse and keyboard controls so well. There are m+kb pilots out there who will wipe the floor with most joystick users any day of the week.

No, you don't need a joystick because the devs have done the mouse and keyboard controls so well. There are m+kb pilots out there who will wipe the floor with most joystick users any day of the week.

That may be true, but I know who I would rather be sat beside in a real helicopter.

Remember Men in black 2 where Will Smith controls the car with a gamepad? :D

Do you know of any real aircraft that are controlled with keyboad and mouse?????

I don't know many keyboard and mouse infantry either, so pretty irrelevant. For regular Arma flying, joystick is not a must. But with a more realistic flight model, you need to do constant small adjustments, which is not possible (at least for me) without analogue throttle (collective in this case) and rudder pedals.

Try imagining this with mouse and keyboard (digital input on rudders? yikes) :p

-7nHh7KicC8

I still have problems landing where I often roll over to the right after touching down. Hard to control that roll. Happens even if brake is engaged. Do I have to have the throttle lower to prevent the roll? Compensate more for the roll with the A key? Am I still touching down with too much speed? I think careful use of brake and throttle (analog) is required to touch down VERY softly.

Edited by OMAC

try using auto hover during the last few moments of landing.

all my control issues were resolved by changing the Q and Z keybinds to analogue Thrust and Brake. I was able to land on the preview mission objective the very first time the keybinds were modified. I had landed one time without the analogue Q and Z, but it was very difficult for keyboard/mouse, and after 4 failures.

-Ziggy-;1966719']try using auto hover during the last few moments of landing.

all my control issues were resolved by changing the Q and Z keybinds to analogue Thrust and Brake. I was able to land on the preview mission objective the very first time the keybinds were modified. I had landed one time without the analogue Q and Z' date=' but it was very difficult for keyboard/mouse, and after 4 failures.[/quote']

As I wrote earlier, I also landed perfectly the first time after remapping those keys!

However, see this post for the settings I use now that maintain the analog and standard thrust keys.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1966105&postcount=166

I am still trying to tweak my controls so that sensitivity is right and such, but I found that there was a null zone in my controls that I could not get rid of. This made it very difficult to get the helicopter to do what I wanted. Helicopters are extremely sensitive. All the pilot must do is THINK about moving the cyclic and the helicopter will respond. Sensitivity was there outside of the null zone, I just didn't like the fact that I would need to move my controls an eighth of an inch before the helo would suddenly respond. This could be user error and any advice is welcome.

I hooked up my X52 tonight. After going to Controls/Controllers/Customize and maxing out the sliders on sensitivity for all axes I found things a lot more responsive but there still seemed to be a little deadzone at the center of the joystick.

Regardless, I'm enjoying this a lot. If you head 90degrees from your initial heading in the example scenario you can hop over the mountains to the airport which is a great place to practice hovering and landings :)

Is it normal that i have to press my left pedal all the time . The controls are very sensitive and the controls are very hard . I just cant enjoy flying with the current version . Please try to fix the controls and make it better .

Is it normal that i have to press my left pedal all the time .

Same for me - this is a known issue, I believe.

All those CTDs were caused by ATOC=7, as it did in A2/OA. Setting it to 0 in my ToH config file stops the CTDs. An issue with SLI, perhaps?

"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

I made a new ToH profile to keep the settings separate from my A2/OA settings, but now ToH crashes every time on exit. Something to do with video settings I think. A2/OA videos play sometimes as I am about to exit ToH! :mad::j:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 0044547F

graphics: D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.12.7533

resolution: 1680x1050x32

Mods: TKOH_preview

Distribution: 0

Version 1.59.82161

Fault address: 0044547F 01:0004447F C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\tkoh_preview\takeonhpreview.exe

file: intro2

world: takistan

Prev. code bytes: CC 51 56 8B F1 8B 06 85 C0 74 20 8B C8 83 CA FF

Fault code bytes: F0 0F C1 11 4A 75 0E 8B 0D 20 70 D4 00 8B 11 50

Registers:

EAX:00000001 EBX:00D69620

ECX:00000001 EDX:FFFFFFFF

ESI:0B6EF8C4 EDI:0000000A

CS:EIP:0023:0044547F

SS:ESP:002B:016BFBA0 EBP:016BFC18

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010286

ToH didn't crash at all the first day. Maybe I'll reinstall, make new profile? Any ideas?

Is it normal that i have to press my left pedal all the time . The controls are very sensitive and the controls are very hard . I just cant enjoy flying with the current version . Please try to fix the controls and make it better .

Seems you guys are becoming familiar with the wonderful challenges of helicopter flight. That right yaw tendency that requires left pedal to counter it is called Torque Induced Yaw. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. When the engine turns the rotor blades counter clockwise, the nose of the helicopter wants to turn clockwise, That's why there is a tail rotor, and as you increase collective, you also need to increase the left pedal to counter the additional torque.

As far as the roll goes OMAC, that is called Translating Tendency, and is caused by tail rotor thrust which pushes the helicopter to the right and also adds a rolling moment. Left cyclic is required to compensate for this in a hover and one skid (the left, on counterclockwise turning rotorcraft) is going to touchdown first, then the right. It needs to be carefully done or the helicopter will roll over as you are experiencing. It seems alot of you are trying to do all of this with a keyboard. If you are not able or willing to buy at least a cheap joystick, you are going to have alot of problems with the realistic flight physics. Either turn your settings to easy mode, or get a joystick is my recommendation. Of course, with ALOT of practice, you might actually figure out how to do it. But I wouldn't waste my time.

BIS is doing a fantastic job of implementing real helicopter behaviors into their game. Unfortunately real helicopters are not very easy to fly, there are alot of complicated things going on and the two that I mentioned above are very basic and really just scratching the surface. I have several large volume books on the subject that have taken me months to read (then re-read because I flushed half of it). Everyone screams for realism, then they complain when they need to hold left pedal and discover that the helicopter wants to roll over on touchdown! Welcome to reality boys!

Thanks for the info about rolling on landing!! So hitting the X key (left cyclic) should help, eh?

I'm not complaining at all. Just trying to learn the complicated ropes. While I have completed the flight on Veteran quite a few times now, landing is the real hard part, and I am sure it is made more difficult without a stick (all those keys to press simultaneously!) Landing on a slope makes things even more difficult (it's hard to get exactly onto the flat space on the ridgetop).

I have never "screamed for realism." All I'm looking for is a fun game, and I love the way BIS makes games. If BIS makes it, I will buy and learn it. And I know extraordinarily little about flying helis.

I removed and re-installed the demo, and I still get the crash on close. I'm now playing with OA 1.59 + 79600 beta.

Thanks for the info about rolling on landing!! So hitting the X key (left cyclic) should help, eh?

I'm not complaining at all. Just trying to learn the complicated ropes. While I have completed the flight on Veteran quite a few times now, landing is the real hard part, and I am sure it is made more difficult without a stick (all those keys to press simultaneously!) Landing on a slope makes things even more difficult (it's hard to get exactly onto the flat space on the ridgetop).

I have never "screamed for realism." All I'm looking for is a fun game, and I love the way BIS makes games. If BIS makes it, I will buy and learn it. And I know extraordinarily little about flying helis.

I removed and re-installed the demo, and I still get the crash on close. I'm now playing with OA 1.59 + 79600 beta.

I was generalizing a bit and not directing those comments strictly at you. Everyone has their interests and expectations. The helicopter behavior battle has been fought on many a forum for many a game. The real pilots, who know all the squirelly tendencies, and fight viciously to have them replicated correctly always get shot down by the average gamer who does not realize that needing to add left pedal IS realistic and not some sort of glitch. The Dodo Simulations 206 for FSX is THE most realistic add on for that game, and probably a close competitor for any other helicopter sim/game out there (in fact, I doubt anything other than Blackshark has done it better), and people were complaining INCESSANTLY that the model was F'd up because they needed left cyclic and pedal to hover, not realizing that is the way it is SUPPOSED to fly.

No offense to you or any other gamer types. Just letting you know, they are shooting for realism on this one, and what they have so far (though a little rough around the edges) is realistic.

Amazingly, I can now fly that heli to some extent, even with all that realism. It sure seems that the vast majority of people in this forum are REAL EXPERTS at flying real helis and/or playing heli sims. They are coming to the right place! I'm sure BIS is quite happy about that, and all the attention the preview is getting. I'm surprised at the disdain heaped on those heli sim noobs who don't have sticks (like me). Lots of purists here. Maybe I will go out and get one! What is the best make/model?

I'm now playing with OA 1.59 + 79600 beta.

Why such an old beta version? As of now the latest on is build 82128.

79600 is much more stable than the current patches for some people, including myself.

Amazingly, I can now fly that heli to some extent, even with all that realism. It sure seems that the vast majority of people in this forum are REAL EXPERTS at flying real helis and/or playing heli sims. They are coming to the right place! I'm sure BIS is quite happy about that, and all the attention the preview is getting. I'm surprised at the disdain heaped on those heli sim noobs who don't have sticks (like me). Lots of purists here. Maybe I will go out and get one! What is the best make/model?

Your post is dripping with sarcasm. I am sorry if you took my snobbiness to be disdain. Maybe I am a snob. I apologize if you thought I was talking down to you. However, if you read through the various forum threads posted on this game I would say the "noobs who don't have sticks" and the "purists" are about 50/50, and both are heaping loads of disdain on each other, to the point where it is counterproductive. Personally, I think there is room for all of us. Can't we all just get along? :butbut: There are tons of makes and models, some are crappy but cheap, some are fantastic but very expensive. There may be some happy mediums in there too. Right now I am using a Logitech extreme 3d pro, with saitek pedals but I will soon be using custom built heli controls (full cyclic,collective and pedal combo, very expensive, but hey, I'm a purist).

Edited by nightsta1ker

My take on the community preview.

edit: Also since its obviously possible to put this into A2, reckon its possible this could be modded into Arma 2?

Edited by Innomadic

really enjoying the FM without autotrim. the more i muck around with it the less i notice having to hold left twist on my joystick to compensate for that movement of chopper. i have a cheapish joystick (T1600) partnered up to the throttle of a x52 (the x52 joystick has become way too loose very soon over time and too expensive to replace/fix) and its real enjoyable to fly. can't wait to see how far BIS can take this.

one of things i'd like off the cuff is to hear the engine change as i pull on cyclic etc as right now its pretty monotone. also what's with the shaking of the cockpit at random - what does it signify? its great to have but it should be providing feedback about the Fm and environment not a seemingly random occurrence - or maybe i just don't understand it enough.