Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

Remove the blinding sun in A3 please

It's actually too easy to work around by zooming your view to remove the sun from the frame. Glare dependent on head direction, rather than FoV, would be more realistic.

I like your arguments Big Dawg KS.

I don´t like yours...as far as you have one :j:

I think the solution to the sun problem will go hand in hand with the extreme Bloom effects in ArmA2. If ArmA3 doesn't go nuts with the bloom again, I think the sun will be much more tame. I'm really hoping a good part of the sky isn't scorched in blinding white light during mid day in ArmA3, not even in the most humid boggy summer afternoon is it that bad.

I like the idea, but I hate it's current implementation. Definitely needs to be improved.

It is impossible to look up in ArmA 2 because the sun has too much glare, please don't do this with A3

EDIT: There is too much, even when the sun is just on the corner of the screen you still can't see

then you get a mod:

Non-blinding sun mod

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6468

As for sunglasses, or shades, that would be a great idea, something I had always said ingame when playing coop,

"you know they should have shades for this game, dam sun blinds me all the time"

But i think leave the sun as is, get shades instead.

and why would you look directly at the sun anyways.

Make it authentic eg if the player looks for a long time into the sun/fire he will be blind till the mission ends.

Perhaps add eye-blinking, tears and proper hand animation... ;)

Make it authentic eg if the player looks for a long time into the sun/fire he will be blind till the mission ends.

and make him sweat a bit

what should be removed is the sun flare effect, you can not see that with your eyes, that is only can be seen through a camera lens. I know that that effect only works in 3rd person view, but anyway...

the bloom effect is ok an somehow realistic, other effects like sun rays through the forest would be awesome

That's not how it works. You just get a dark (blue/red) spot where the Sun was for a while. I know because I stared at it many a time as a kid.

I have created a few missions that start in the early morning.

In some cases I am advancing into the sunrise and then swap around and have the opponent advance into the sunrise.

The sun in the eyes makes a huge difference!

I like it the way it is. Improvement is good too.

-

Edited by Joe98

I think the sun should stay as it is. Imo it adds immersion to the game and can complicate your advance or attack quite a bit, which is a nice challenge to work around.

I believe th game would do better with a Crysis 1 style sun, only blinding if you look right at it.

This way it compensates for a real life person's ability to squint. Sunglasses would also be cool, so long as the effect is realistic (darkens entire view).

There should also be an option to turn off all this advanced dynamic lighting effects. Some people can't run super-HDR with 16x AA.

Blinding sun, I've no problem with that.

Having a whole scene complete dark because there's a milimeter of brightness in the upper right corner, and the game cannot handle dynamic lighting correctly? No, thank you.

I'd ask for a greatly improved lighting. Something that doesn't make a scene go from bright to dark and vice versa by turning your head 5 degrees down. Something that doesn't overcripple you most of the time, btw. Realism, yes, unreallistic difficulty, why?

Blinding sun, I've no problem with that.

Having a whole scene complete dark because there's a milimeter of brightness in the upper right corner, and the game cannot handle dynamic lighting correctly? No, thank you.

I'd ask for a greatly improved lighting. Something that doesn't make a scene go from bright to dark and vice versa by turning your head 5 degrees down. Something that doesn't overcripple you most of the time, btw. Realism, yes, unreallistic difficulty, why?

Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei6pJ9GK1OQ

theres others like that, pretty much go into a forest, look at sky, look back down and the game goes from alright lighting to super dark or if you look down and zoom it starts to get magically brighter.

Screw HDR and bloom, 2 of the worst post process effects used in games now...

Blinding sun is OK, but make it so that the AI will be affected by it too. Also, +1 for sunglasses.

yes, the AI should be affected and display this by putting on shades or their hands up to their eyes occasionally.

display this by putting on shades.

:p the hdr should be toned down a bit, or at least as was mentioned earlier in forests and stuff where in the game your eyes are apparently dilating like crazy

I can't look straight at the sun IRL without shades either, seems realistic to me.

Hi all

^^^ +1

Kind Regards walker

Hell, driving home at the end of the day heading west into the setting sun is not fun. I don't even look at the sun and it is still very blinding, shades or not.

Rather than remove, "improve" I guess.

This. I do not want to see my screen go bright when i look at grass, and go dark when i look at the sky.

Simulating eye adaption: Cool.

Simulating a cheap camera: Go away.

It works good at night, and alright on rainy days, but on sunny days it is just ridiculous.

Disagree with OP, this is a very tactical feature and great planning ambushes as assaulting with the sun in the enemy's eyes puts them at a disadvantage;

That is assuming the AI is blinded by the sun. Are they?

Blinding sun is OK, but make it so that the AI will be affected by it too. Also, +1 for sunglasses.

correct answer. If the AI isn't blinded by the sun in their eyes then I shouldn't be either.

If I look in the direction the sun is setting and can barely see anything bellow the hill line I'll be seriously ticked off. That's what always did my head in with ArmA 2 that and looking down at the ground caused things to get blindingly light. To be honest the entire lighting system needs redone it's very harsh.

This. I do not want to see my screen go bright when i look at grass, and go dark when i look at the sky.

Simulating eye adaption: Cool.

Simulating a cheap camera: Go away.

It works good at night, and alright on rainy days, but on sunny days it is just ridiculous.

+1

Its the HDR system which is so annoying i think, just walking forward or looking into the ocean sometimes gives you a flickering screen.

Toned down sun blinding and HDR would go a long way.