Sign in to follow this  
enad

ArmA 3 on Steamworks?

Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)  

433 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy Arma 3 (Steam exclusive)

• Yes
    • No

To all Yay-Steam!! guys:

You asking for reason why we don't like steam. And it was given several times already, but I'll repeat - despite my personal unpleasant experience with it, the major problem (at least for me) is the idea that I do not really own something I gave my hard earned money for. Isn't this reason enough?

The "Steam Police" are not coming to take away your simulator :p You can play it 24 X 7 to your hearts delight. You can play the single player off line and screw around with the editor all you want. Everything is cool, my man.

To all Yay-Steam!! guys:

You asking for reason why we don't like steam. And it was given several times already, but I'll repeat - despite my personal unpleasant experience with it, the major problem (at least for me) is the idea that I do not really own something I gave my hard earned money for. Isn't this reason enough?

Did you ever read the EULA of one of your boxed games? You never "own" the game. You own a box and a DVD and (hopefully) a manual. For the software on it, the developer grants you a non-exclusive right to use it, but you don't "own" it. If you would own it, you could do with it whatever you want like i.e. reverse engineering it. Now guess what, you're not allowed to do that because you don't own it.

If you upload a mod, a file, or a picture once uploaded it's of their property and you don't own any right on them. They are free to sell even informations about you. That's what is nasty. Steam is a bad company.

Which parts of the EULA are you talking about, specifically?

Regarding the non-refund policy: have you ever tried returning a retail game after opening the shrink-wrap?

Yes. For me it was enough stating that the game wouldn't run on my PC at the time (which was true and the game was some crap released in an unfinished state) and get a refund. In fact our laws dictate that anything can be returned within 14 days as long as nothing is physically damaged.

Isn't Steam EULA so bad they are getting sued in Germany now over it basically stating that you are renting the game.

If you upload a mod, a file, or a picture once uploaded it's of their property and you don't own any right on them. They are free to sell even informations about you. That's what is nasty. Steam is a bad company.

Could you please link the source to that part? Couldn't find it on quick search.

I understand that most of the problems people have with steam might be fear of some hypothetical scenario that might or might not be happening.

I get the same impression.

It's called awareness; comes from experience.

Myke;2300358']Did you ever read the EULA of one of your boxed games? You never "own" the game. You own a box and a DVD and (hopefully) a manual. For the software on it' date=' the developer grants you a non-exclusive right to use it, but you don't "own" it. If you would own it, you could do with it whatever you want like i.e. reverse engineering it. Now guess what, you're not allowed to do that because you don't own it.[/quote']

Yeah, but I can sell it. And I can play it wherever and whenever I want. Steam prevents me from doing such things and I don't like it.

Checked

As I said in a previous post it's a question of ideology, some people like to retain full control some other don't care.

Hence for me steam is an inferior service to sprocket for consumers for all this reasons, whatever it's advantage delta patching... etc etc which i reckon is great for devs.

So having a steam server between me and my arma is a huge step backward imo.

Anyway BIS made his choice, sometimes you win some, sometimes you loose some. Let wish them good luck in their future endeavour.

For the Germany, let's wait for the results

Yeah, but I can sell it.

I buy games to keep them and play them.

And I can play it wherever and whenever I want. Steam prevents me from doing such things and I don't like it.

I have Steam and i play often games from steam in offline mode.

Yeah screw all these people who were and are creating content for their games for free, they are all immature pussies because they don't want to be forced using some 3rd party software to use the game and continue creating content for you and for free. I wonder what you gonna say when you buy your next car and the dealer tells you that you must buy the fuel only at certain gas stations.

It's your decision not to make mods, not mine. While those people are busy sulking and showing off how superior they are for not having given in to Steam, I'll be playing ArmA 3. I really don't give a shit. I enjoyed CWR2, but CWR2 is not the reason I bought ArmA. Nothing about the base game will change, and this whole discussion is the equivalent of arguing whether ice cream is better served in a bowl or in a cone.

Edited by RangerPL

The "Steam Police" are not coming to take away your simulator :p You can play it 24 X 7 to your hearts delight. You can play the single player off line and screw around with the editor all you want. Everything is cool, my man.

But i want to play multiplayer too. So not everything is cool :) Unless some dev comes here and calm me down by saying "Relax, man. It won't be nessesary to have an internet connection to play on LAN ;)

These are genuine concerns. The answers to these might be what saves ARMA III for me and many others.

I am getting the distinctive impression that people confuse the Steam Workshop with Steamworks, which are two entirely different things.

But i want to play multiplayer too. So not everything is cool :) Unless some dev comes here and calm me down by saying "Relax, man. It won't be nessesary to have an internet connection to play on LAN ;)

There are Steam-integrated games already that don't require a internet connection to play over LAN, such as Counter-Strike Source.

Myke;2300358']Did you ever read the EULA of one of your boxed games? You never "own" the game. You own a box and a DVD and (hopefully) a manual. For the software on it' date=' the developer grants you a non-exclusive right to use it, but you don't "own" it. If you would own it, you could do with it whatever you want like i.e. reverse engineering it. Now guess what, you're not allowed to do that because you don't own it.[/quote']

You can say all that but the devil is in the details. I don't "own" OFP either and yet 12 years later I just double click the setup.exe, throw in my serial, wait a few minutes and can play anytime, anywhere, anyhow on almost any Windows OS ranging from '98 to 8. And even if Steam servers will burn down or BIS websites go down or Gamespy explodes into a nuclear mushroom it will never affect my copy of OFP in SP or MP (direct IP multiplayer is a savior). If it won't work I will know 100% that's the issue on my side. I will never have to wait until techsupport half a world away will get to my ticket.

Steam? On sales which last for weeks you sometimes can't even log in with it to be able to even launch games you have installed. But hey - at least Steam can make me feel like EULA is indeed followed to the letter.

It's your decision not to make mods, not mine. While those people are busy sulking and showing off how superior they are for not having given in to Steam, I'll be playing ArmA 3. I really don't give a shit. I enjoyed CWR2, but CWR2 is not the reason I bought ArmA. Nothing about the base game will change, and this whole discussion is the equivalent of arguing whether ice cream is better served in a bowl or in a cone.

I wonder how long would live arma without mods, since it's quite poor in terms of contents. Most of the srevers run mods. Most of the hardcore and most of the played communities use mods. as I have seen there are only 2 or 3 server with a cospicious numbers of players running vanilla, and on most of them there are only dick heads players. But you don't give a shit, right?

I've never experienced any particular problems with steam, I think people who are butt devastated over this developement should kindly shut up and sit down.

Edit: Also the transition to steam wont restrict modding and mod distribution will not be restricted to steam workshop, get educated.

The fact is that Arma always have been on steam, but they were providing also boxed copy where you don't need to register to steam. So actually the problem is not for you steam users, I would appreciate if it's you that "shut up and sit down" , because it's you that are going to get your ice cream.

You'll be able to play private games on-line at Steam. Also, ArmA 2 has had one heck of a time keeping hackers out of the simulator, Steam will slow them down. As I've said in several posts before, as long as the Editor and the Mod's are not limited, then 'all is fine' in the Armaverse. BIS knows that the "life blood" of the ArmA series are the Mod's - they won't mess with them.

Anyway, I'm going to hold FULL judgement on Steam + ArmA 3 until the release. I've bought several games off stream for myself and my kid - I haven't had a single problem with them. Let's just thank God it's not "Origin".... "Origin" is a Piece of junk.

Cheers :cheers:

Myke;2300365']I buy games to keep them and play them.

Yeah' date=' me too. But its hearteting to now that i can do it if I want to.

Myke;2300365']

I have Steam and i play often games from steam in offline mode.

If anything didn't happen to you it doesn't mean it didn't happen to anyone else. Check my previous posts where I described how and why I couldn't play a steam game.

I understand all the reasons why it has to be implemented - dev blog was somewhat clear about it. But it doesn't make this desicion more appealing to me. This is a forum, a discussion where we can express our concerns and complaints:cry2:, is it not? :)

I wonder how long would live arma without mods, since it's quite poor in terms of contents. Most of the srevers run mods. Most of the hardcore and most of the played communities use mods. as I have seen there are only 2 or 3 server with a cospicious numbers of players running vanilla, and on most of them there are only dick heads players. But you don't give a shit, right?

First of all, the modders announcing that they are quitting make up a small minority. Second of all, they will sooner or later be replaced by talented people from outside this current community. (there are talented modders outside the BIS forums? huehuehuehue)

And I really won't comment on the quality of public multiplayer because I have not played enough of it. I play with a private community.

BIS has not done anything to restrict the game in any way. There is literally no legitimate reason for people to ragequit the way they are threatening to do, the mod-support of the game has not been restricted, it's actually been expanded.

Steam has been used by millions of people for nearly ten years. These conspiracy theories are really just that.

The fact is that Arma always have been on steam, but they were providing also boxed copy where you don't need to register to steam. So actually the problem is not for you steam users, I would appreciate if it's you that "shut up and sit down" , because it's you that are going to get your ice cream.

I'm not sure who this is directed at, but I own a boxed copy. I do use steam for nearly all my other games though. There is nothing wrong with it.

How is Steam compared to Origin?

Same thing. But Origin is bad because EA is big and that means they are an evil megacorporation.

How is Steam compared to Origin?

Steam compared to Origin is like Gold compared to Tin. ;)

I'm not familiar with Steam at all. Will I still be able to play MP games on LAN?