Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox34

Stealth Kills?

wonder if you can crawl through cracks/caves and slice them while they are outside

Yeah stealth should def be included, most special forces require that, how about like busting through doors, breaching, knife kills, etc?

I don't want knives at all, but definitely want realistic stealthiness. One silenced shot from one end of a town shouldn't alert an armored division on the other side of town.

Also body detection would be great, but without the 'hide body' option, so you physically had to hide them or something or else the AI would be alerted. Good times!

More variety in silenced weapons.

A larger variety of silenced weaponary would be useless if the AI wern't tweaked. AI scripts before weaponary. That's why I have to agree with this post, even if BIS didn't do it but considered it, I'm sure scripts would be refined.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Also body detection would be great, but without the 'hide body' option, so you physically had to hide them or something or else the AI would be alerted. Good times!

Cool idea, if drag or carry could be used on dead bodies this might be cool.

A larger variety of silenced weaponary would be useless if the AI wern't tweaked. AI scripts before weaponary. That's why I have to agree with this post, even if BIS didn't do it but considered it, I'm sure scripts would be refined.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Cool idea, if drag or carry could be used on dead bodies this might be cool.

Agree, kinda unrealistic the option to hide bodies by just make them dissapear into the humus.

Or at least they could add the option to disguise the corpse by soil type. Like for example, sand for desert, wood for forrest etc, but make it impossible in urban areas and it would be perfect in addition to a drag option.

Sounds to much like COD to me, urrgh!!

Stealth kills are a big part of modern day special ops. Nightvision and IR maybe have mayde a big diffrence on the modern battlefield, but when the shit hits the fan a lot of operators still rely on stealth for a succesfull mission. Don't underastimate the effectiveness of a good blade under the cover of night, especially when dealing with insurgents.

Next to that, there wasn't really any scense of a good stealth system in Arma II. Even when using silenced weapons the AI would still know your exact location from a mile away. So it could use some improvement anyway.

I really believe it's impossible (in a silent, stealthy environment) to get near a hostile without being spotted. Also, it's really hard to walk completely silent with all the equipment.

Now, in a environment with a lot of noise, like a city or such, it may be possible, but really unlikely to happen.

Operative;1940590']I really believe it's impossible (in a silent' date=' stealthy environment) to get near a hostile without being spotted. Also, it's really hard to walk completely silent with all the equipment.

Now, in a environment with a lot of noise, like a city or such, it may be possible, but really unlikely to happen.[/quote']

Agreed and disagreed, I think this topic has a mix of people wanting all kinds of stuff; silenced weaponary and AI scripts being improved on this, the ability to use knives, use hand-to-hand combat and all kinds of ideas.

Now I wouldn't class any of these points as silent killing in most scenarios but I would class it as a quick and sure way to get rid of someone as well as only causing minimal noise. For it to be silent there has to be a lot of points to consider and fulfilled - by both you, the terrain, time of day and the enemy - along with many other factors that will influence it.

You just have to remember that it's not always aimed at stealth but for self-defence when it's a last resort; say too close to a combatant and you cannot reload or you are jammed. When you have lost your firearm or raising the alarm would be too heavy a cost - this accounts for knives, bayonets, hand-to-hand and whatever else could be used. It was also easily concealed and easily accessable compared with other weaponary.

There are many other reasons for the adoption of utility weapons - both in the past and modern time. I doubt it'll change in the future.

It is possible to kill, paralyze, and seriously injure. We have projectiles now but they are very similar - sharp objects made to penetrate human flesh and cause as much damage as possible. The only difference now is we shoot them out of a barrel instead of thrusting them into somebody.

It was taught heavily in WW2 and WW1 for getting rid of sentries or within close quarter battle and there are quite a few stories of where it did work - and I agree quite a few where it didn't. They did not teach any techniques that were unproven though.

But to do this you would seriously have to be in a desperate situation or a very lucky one to get away with it; it depends on opponent and not just terrain. The enemy could easily be wearing earplugs, stood next to a loud object, sleeping or just not concerntrating.

You must also take into account a future war and possible guerilla war as well as the conventional umbrella of an all-out-war. Knives and silenced weaponary are used in all, a knife is a basic tool of survival as well as an object you can use to kill. They become more important depending on situation - which A3's storyline would easily slip into with an unconventional method and you are right, there are a thousand situations you can be in and never use it.

It's certainly not orthodox and there has been many game developers (mainly making unrealistic fps) that have failed in promoting it. At the end of the day they wern't there to make it even slightly realistic so there has been a lot of negative opinions on the topic when requesting it to be in A3 - I can understand why but if they could do it properly then I would love to see it.

Here's a video:

Good vid, you should try the book Kill or get killed by Rex Applegate it talks about the topic in more detail and doesn't skip as much, Knife Combat - the version of Spetsnaz GRU by Alexander Popuv, Cold Steel by John Styers or half of the other thousands of books on the topic.

"Stealth"

MGS3SUB_n03_2001-2--article_image.jpg

....please?

More variety in silenced weapons.

How about more variety in weapon varietions as standard? For example the G36C has a silenced variant with a Eotech, and a plain variant. However as we know the G36C can take many more items, and i personally would love to see this just for varietys sake.

Edited by Innomadic

I think knife kills would integrate well. SLX has it i think for arma already. Its rarely used in huge fights but in those stealth missions where your in ghillie and runnin amok in an enemy base, sneaking behind a target for a melee kill is realistic and implementable.

Perhaps to avoid COD-like knifing rambo bonanza, perhaps the knife action could be activated only if behind an enemy. That way, you cant just bullrush the nearest guy. I mean, if you let an enemy get behind you, you messed up bad already.

A weapon attachment system would be lovely. Something like it brings up a GUI image of your gun with slots for each attachment. Different attachments are attached to the gun in different ways, such as the rail system or whatever the old AK's used.

The ability to mix-and-match attachments would bring a whole new level of fun.

Close combat with a M107? Strip the scope!

A weapon attachment system would be lovely. Something like it brings up a GUI image of your gun with slots for each attachment. Different attachments are attached to the gun in different ways, such as the rail system or whatever the old AK's used.

The ability to mix-and-match attachments would bring a whole new level of fun.

Close combat with a M107? Strip the scope!

m107 in CQB O.o - played too much Cod?

m107 in CQB O.o - played too much Cod?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82#Barrett_M107CQ

For some scenarios it is useful. USSF chop down their M107's, shortened barrel for vehicle and closer quarters work and combine it with the MK211 Raufoss for pure anti-vehicle capabilities instead of long-range shooting.

You will get many hard target engagements with a close quarter environments such as the likes seen in Iraq or with vehicle checkpoints.

The M107CQ is being used by Law Enforcement as well for it's ease of use in a confined space compared with the longer barrel versions. Nevermind it's advantages in having less weight.

But for Arma? Nah. Not needed. :p

Operative;1940590']I really believe it's impossible (in a silent' date=' stealthy environment) to get near a hostile without being spotted. Also, it's really hard to walk completely silent with all the equipment.

Now, in a environment with a lot of noise, like a city or such, it may be possible, but really unlikely to happen.[/quote']

It would be possible if Arma 2 characters knew how to tip-toe.

Yeah but I'm not talking about regular soldiers here, special forces often have less equipment and adpated gear to make them more silent. Ofcourse you don't really need stealth at the frontline because the opposite sites know from each other where the other guys are. But you should see it as some sort of behind enemy lines situation, besides its already confirmed that during the campaign you'll be on your own surrounded by enemy's so I think it could fit well.

Arma isn't just modern warfare.....

Thats the #1 argument against having equipable knives

Arma is anything the mod/mission making community wants it to be.

It boggles the mind how many people want to keep the engine from progressing.....

Reminds me of the days when some people were whining they counldn't get a DOS version of a game after windows got big.

Edited by jblackrupert

Arma isn't just modern warfare.....

Thats the #1 argument against having equipable knives

Arma is anything the mod/mission making community wants it to be.

It boggles the mind how many people want to keep the engine from progressing.....

Reminds me of the days when some people were whining they counldn't get a DOS version of a game after windows got big.

Let's take guns away so that you can mod them in instead of having plug & play arcade crap like CoD kiddies do.

Yeah but I'm not talking about regular soldiers here, special forces often have less equipment and adpated gear to make them more silent. Ofcourse you don't really need stealth at the frontline because the opposite sites know from each other where the other guys are. But you should see it as some sort of behind enemy lines situation, besides its already confirmed that during the campaign you'll be on your own surrounded by enemy's so I think it could fit well.

Even regular soldiers are taught basic hand-to-hand, how to use a bayonet and knife. It's apart of their regular kit and one of the first things you are issued with. But I agree it is used more often and more likely to be trusted in a Special Forces soldiers hand.

@JBlackRupert; don't you think BIS can give you the basics, they already have knife models in game. Some A2 mod makers have already made the scripts and functions....

@JBlackRupert; don't you think BIS can give you the basics, they already have knife models in game. Some A2 mod makers have already made the scripts and functions....

I've seen at least one on youtube.

Can't find it again because it lacks proper tags and description

but watching it was kinda like "Ummmmm what just happened?"

I'm not looking for something like COD, Battlefield 2 or god forbid Bad Company 2 where you run around stabbing and slashing like a madman.

For me and others who want this. the models physically interact with each other... Sneak up, pull back head, cut throat.

Having this would open up the possiblies for so many non modern battle mods.

If your talking about the knife animations and weapons, that's from SLX mod. ^

For me and others who want this. the models physically interact with each other... Sneak up, pull back head, cut throat.

I think spec ops are trained to push the enemy's head over forward before slashing their throat. But that's just my experience from watching CSI :yay:

I think that is the key for this thread.

"I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE KNIFE KILLS BECAUSE SPECIAL FORCES DO IT BASED ON BOOK I'VE READ/MOVIES I'VE SEEN/THINGS SOLDIERS DID 60 YEARS AGO"