Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox34

Stealth Kills?

If you could use the knife to whittle small wooden tchotchke you could trade with the locals in exchange for tea or their daughters, then I think including a useable knife in ArmA3 would be a good idea.

If you could use the knife to whittle small wooden tchotchke you could trade with the locals in exchange for tea or their daughters, then I think including a useable knife in ArmA3 would be a good idea.

Will they accept a handmade dwarf as a worthy treat, in exchange for profit? Well, we will see if we really can use a knife to make something useful.

Melee wasn't even prevalent in WW2, 70 years on or whatever we have much better weapons with much greater rof, much better to shoot your enemy than to try and stab him.

Edit: And as said, the times you could actually use melee are few and far between, and probably 90 of the time you could use melee, it'd still make more sense to shoot the other guy.

As to stealth kills, yes, it's annoying that you can't really use stealth, but in modern warfare stealth is about as frequent as melee, correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Edited by LJF

Stealth doesn't imply that you have to kill your enemies to complete your objective, and no melee is most definitely not as frequently used as stealth.

Stealth doesn't imply that you have to kill your enemies to complete your objective, and no melee is most definitely not as frequently used as stealth.

Thanks for the comment but for stealth to apply then there is a more likely chance of close, hand-to-hand or combatitive combat taking place. So it must be taken into the context and atleast considered; but for gameplay purposes - stealth scripts to be implemented over melee or hand-to-hand features.

Melee (combatives) and other similar forms of close combat (hand-to-hand) aren't common but can happen. And this is why units who have their head screwed on prepare for that depending on their environment.

In an unconventional unit it is more pressed upon you because you may use it more commonly - to restrain suspects, within a close quarters battle and when the time is right. In a conventional war there may be many times that can be used - especially behind enemy lines with unsuspecting or poorly trained enemy.... or both.

In a guerrilla war it is used if it can be done for many purposes; one being stealth and staying out of immediate contact that may result in a large loss of life. You normally have minimal support or support is far away. Guerrilla camps and the likes are normally situated in the most impassable locations therefore every consideration is made to make sure you can effectively destroy the enemy.

For the best use of stealth and close range weaponary like knives, machetes and blowpipes check out Operation Semut - Z Special Unit trained a bunch of Borneo "headhunters" to effectively take out Japanese patrols and other resistance efforts.

@LJF - And when you run out ammunition, jam, lose your weapon or it has broken? Never put a knife over any other means of killing the enemy if possible but never underestimate it. WW2 was full of hand-to-hand combat, where do you get these facts? And now yes, we have technology and we have improved - so yes, it is a last resort but one that shouldn't be shunned.

Since SCUBA's getting implemented... Maybe an action to drag someone underwater and drown them?

Omg go back to cod

That would be cool as a scripted campaign event, but like everything else, serious attention to animations would be needed.

Omg go back to cod

That would be cool as a scripted campaign event, but like everything else, serious attention to animations would be needed.

That idea came from SC: Double Agent :bounce3:

Water is noisy.

I do think it would be really nice to see an option to Fix a bayonet to your rifle

the animation would be a simple, Slash or stab with a botton

this would no way take away what is arma, nor add anything that is Cod

in fact having bayonets makes it more realsitc.

Say you are in a tight Close combat situation, a bayonet on your rifle, would be great of use.

Or

if you are storming a building/bunker agian being able to have the option for a bayonet will be good.

At times, its possible to run out of ammo, so its good to have a knife

hell throwing it would not be that bad either,

Russian Special forces could get a Spring loaded knife ;)

Just because its in cod doesnt mean cod invented it....

And just because it has stealth kills or something like that, wont make this game like cod in anyway.

I missed the times in OFP when you could tell your squad to hold fire, assign to each of them a target and then simultaneously let them open fire, taking down a patrol of 3-4 guys. If it was done right, you would never alarm the rest of the base. However, in OFP you could get the entire enemy base like that, like some bad Hollywood movie. Now, something in the middle ground would be great. Give player an option to take out a group of soldiers silently, but the vanished group could be discovered by their command within 5 or so minutes of disappearance.

Close combat on Arma engine is unrealistic, IMO and probably not that necessary in RL if you have silenced weapons. Like someone said earlier, I would rather see Bohemians spend time and money on other things in this game.

Edited by Bospor

^ I agree with above

However some basic hand to hand combat should be implemented. Yes its rare, but it does happen, and when you walk in on someone thats metres away from you and your not ready to use your rifle, it would be more smart to charge them and disarm them, then risking those few moments where the enemy might react quicker than you in using their rifle.

What about a tactical Crossbow, for when you need a medium/short distance silent kill without alerting AI gaurds?

what about a tactical crossbow, for when you need a medium/short distance silent kill without alerting ai gaurds?

CoD CoD CoD CoD!!!!!!!!

CoD CoD CoD CoD!!!!!!!!

Since when did COD invent a tactical crossbow?

I guess you think COD invent Knife kills as well?

what about a tactical gun, bullets are better at killing than medivil style arrows :D

Where is the realism in tactical crossbow other than Hollywood, i dont seem to remember any SF forces in A-Stan or Iraq been using the tactical crossbow to take out a insurgent... So just use a rifle with a silencer...! :)

well if china is involved....

4443528812_d5ef9957d3.jpg

Crossbow_88.jpg

What if you are behind the forces lines, with not alot but say a knife and a crossbow perhaps a compass/map

You need to kill a solder to steal his gun.

Now,

yes you could have a silenced pistol but they are bad at accracy and not enough stopping power.

then what happens when you run about of ammo? when hunting in the game

You could easily pick up your used Bolts, and fire them agian

and since Arma 3 is getting more advanced when it comes to weapon systems, why not

It would be a challenge to learn to use the crossbow, since a bolts traval would be harder to get just right than a bullet

Edited by Kieran

When you run out of ammo? Well, let's hope you'll be able to interact with trees and bushes to make some sharp sticks... for some stealth kills (and unlocking achievments) ;)

I read articles that spesnaz use crossbows and a Knife with a 7.62 round in it.... I feel stealth kills and cqc would add to the game as long as it doesnt involve the CoD style insta stab/death... Obviously slashing a guy in a flak jacket wont be as effective shooting him... I'm currently learning Krav Maga atm and it has shown that close combat especially with weapons is not to be underestimated.....

Why would you use a crossbow when out of ammo? At close range you'd use a secondary - being pistol or knife. Final resort combatives e.g. melee. You're going to have to convince me 1) they use crossbows 2) you can use it as a secondary and 3) you're not high.

Pffft well I assume they tend to use something with more Dakka..... But Seing the other weird weapons they use... A crossbow sometimes seems too mainstream :P

ITT people watch too many Hollywood movies and argue that SpecOps come close to the enemy on various loud surfaces in heavy boots without ever being heard and manage to do one-hit-kills with a knife.