Sign in to follow this  
Blackfox34

Stealth Kills?

I would actually welcome a melee type of system because it would add to the 'sim status' of the OFP/ArmA series. I mean, these games are pretty much already considered as games where you can "do everything". But without the ability to get close and physical with an enemy, aka performing knife or rifle butt attacks, that's not really true.

Just to be able to do it would be nice, that's all I'm saying.

BUT I wouldn't want such a feature implemented at the cost of other, more important, aspects of the game.

Yeah, I honestly don't think it would be that hard to do though and for it to not be overpowered and overused.

Let the community use it how they want. If you have it as a weapon (BF2 style) or have it as a button (COD style) its the user's choice. IF he wants to run around knifing let him do it, he will quickly figure out this is not BF2 or COD

.. As for the bow.. That shouldn't be that hard to mod for, am i right?

.. As for the bow.. That shouldn't be that hard to mod for, am i right?

You are. Its very easy, and was done more than several times.

How to best realize the absurdity of no melee option in Arma 2:

- Place two unarmed soldiers of opposing sides next to eachother; make both playable.

- Place various (weaponless) vehicles in the vicinity.

- Briefing and taskHint at start: "Kill the enemy!"

- Play with your buddy in multiplayer.

Hey,

Some kind of melee attack could work, when a unit has no weapon, the Sights action/key would make the unit assume a defensive position, ready for a fight.

A block button, one for punches and one for kicks.

Anyway, I think Im going crazy there...:D

_neo_

How to best realize the absurdity of no melee option in Arma 2:

- Place two unarmed soldiers of opposing sides next to eachother; make both playable.

- Place various (weaponless) vehicles in the vicinity.

- Briefing and taskHint at start: "Kill the enemy!"

- Play with your buddy in multiplayer.

Ram them with a vehicle. :j:

But in all honesty, in what situation would you have two unarmed guys trying to kill eachother in ArmA under normal circumstances (other than by mission design)? Yes, it'd be a nice feature to have, but it's not important if you design your missions well enough. I suppose if BIS wanted to make a mission that involves melee combat they would implement melee combat.

Ram them with a vehicle. :j:

Yes. Two extremely hostile and deadly guys within arm's reach from eachother have to scramble to the nearest vehicle to have a chance to harm the other. That's how absurd it is.

Now I like the idea, the theory, of a melee mode.

Aslong as the wounding system is changed to provide well-balance wounding capabilities and no one cut to the face, you're dead.

Don't some Arma 2 models have a knife as well?

hmm.. i dont know any..

can you post a reference or source for that to proof it?

One thing i would like to see is, not necessarily melee combat (would be useful though),

but better AI response to being stealthy, for instance in real life suppressors are still loud, if one is fired close, you can hear it, but it is confusing and you don't know where it came from.

In arma currently, if you shoot a guard in the face, the others know where you are, they should if close enough, just go from safe, to combat, and if they find there friend dead, THEN come LOOKING for the player.

also make detonating satchels not reveal anything about the player.

also make hiding in dark areas more effective, as you can be hiding in a bush at night just a few feet from someone, and if they don't have NVG's, they wont see you (as long as you don't have a red dot sight on, gen 1 NVG's or bare skin showing etc).

about actually melee combat, i dislike the idea of having 'knife kills' but would like some form of bash or strike, that would knock someone down or give you that edge.

about 'realism' soldiers are still trained how to sneak up on sentry's and break their necks from behind, and slit throats, and the British army still use bayonets and even to this day still mount them in cqc.

tl;dr

-ability to, if undetected sneak up behind AI, and using action menu break neck, slit throat or whatever.

-key for quick bash, and if bayonet mounted, then stab for use in cqc. - but would not kill just knock back, or incapacitate, then u can finish em off with rifle.

no, quickly whip my knife out and insta kill in 0.5 seconds like cod.

such in moh and cod you get knife kills all the time, just because their so effective and gay, whereas using slx for arma ive only got a few, and thats just from finding myself behind a sentry and not wanting to fire my main weapon.

and nothing beats a shovel fight in slx...

edit: Yes , the us soldiers do have nifes on their model, but they are more for cutting wire, cooking etc.

Edited by Grimfist

On the note of SLX knives, go and knife a building a few times and see what happens ;)

Sorry for offtopic.

http://www.arma3.com/images/bg_story.png

take a close look at the diver in the right corner and you will recognise a knife.

I think it wont be there for no reason.

Melee and stealth attacks are getting possible!

Maybe but it might just be for authenticity as combat divers have knives for all kinds of reasons. I hope it's for real. Nice find. :)

Somehow, a thread entitled Stealth Kills turned towards Are there gonna be knives/bayonets?

sure, for some of you knives would wet some pants, and you could create your own missions where you'll feel like John Rambo and alike. Sure it would open a door for moders creating medieval (but not exclusively) content.

But i see NO ONE is talking about the actual stealth kills in relation to an AI group:

Today's behavior for a group of X AI is that they are all aware of the other's state. Which means if those AI are spread across an entire map, and i get to kill one of them the other will most likely say under fire and Y is down.

While i understand why this needs to happen in order for the groups of AI to function, this awarness status is what kills the stealth more than anything else (in fact most missions designed for stealth have 1 man groups, 2 at most). In this environment, silently killing an enemy AI with a knife wouldn't matter much, since his buddys will most likely blast you in the next 5 seconds anyways..

hmm.. i dont know any..

The USMC Rifleman unit has a knife (or bayonet) on his gear.

hmm.. i dont know any..

Lots of ArmA 2 models have pistol holster which may or may not represent that the equipment the unit is actually holding.

I'm not saying that the knife is not usable in ArmA 3, but a knife is a very common piece of equipment for anyone that works around the water. In my experience with swift water rescue, a knife is always carried, even in training. Because water is a hostile environment, you need tools to cut yourself out of natural and unnatural snags. Because BIS are very detailed model makers, I would suppose that the knife was for the divers 'costume', not because you actually need to stab someone at any point. Until they announce something, nothing is confirmed or denied, though.

hmm.. i dont know any..

Almost any Marine unit in original ArmA 2?

yes i'm sorry. i just own OA, but looked up some pictures and they really wear knifes.

Well then i think we can just continue specualating or wait for some intell

I have my "stealth kill" thing called an apache. It kills people with a cannon 2kms away and doesn't afraid of anything. There is no need for melee in this game, it has been discussed to death in OA forums.

There is no need for melee in this game, it has been discussed to death in OA forums.

And this is only your own conclusion.

I can only say that for example Crysis 2 has amazing stealth kills. They never get old, especially in MP. Well if it registers :).