Sign in to follow this  
noubernou

VBS2 to ArmA2 Feature Wishlist

What VBS2 functions/features would you like to see in ArmA2?

My list:

AmmoHit/AmmoExplode Event Handler

disableGunnerInput http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/disableGunnerInput_(VBS2)

setWeaponDirection http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setWeaponDirection_(VBS2)

I have a few more, but those are by far the ones I think (at least for me) would add a lot of potential user made features/addons to the game.

Seeing that it only takes a few lines of code to enable/disable most of these features (in fact I am sure that the artillery computer in OA is already behind the scenes calling setWeaponDirection) it'd be nice if BIS would throw us a bone on some of these... :D

With you 100000% on those, all that's really standing in the way of making arma the best tank sim around tbh

(in fact I am sure that the artillery computer in OA is already behind the scenes calling setWeaponDirection)

Does make a guy wonder, I assume the BIS artillery scripts are inaccessible?

Edited by DaveP

Yes, thats what I was thinking as well. Also it would allow me to easily make artillery more realistic without having to get models for the already in game stuff... :p

#1 - Walk/drive-in-Cargo

#2 - Walk/drive-in-Cargo

#3 - Articulated vehicles

I got to wonder why since BIS make VBS2 why aren't some of the features not already in Arma2 or OA?

I know VBS2 is more of a simulation for professional institutions, but surely there is a gameplay aspect in terms of simulation

that I dont think would be to har to implement.

Whats the engine that VBS2 runs on, isn't it the Arma or Arma2 engine?

I got to wonder why since BIS make VBS2 why aren't some of the features not already in Arma2 or OA?

I know VBS2 is more of a simulation for professional institutions, but surely there is a gameplay aspect in terms of simulation

that I dont think would be to har to implement.

Whats the engine that VBS2 runs on, isn't it the Arma or Arma2 engine?

VBS2 runs on ArmA1 engine - also without rvmat shaders - only it is used on ground or mountains /mean normal map shader/

Yes , i think those scripts should be very easy added - just BIS was lazy and they think "they are not needed" - which is shame , same thing with laser - in vbs2 you can nicely choose the laser to be visible only on nvg or normal or both ,but in OA you have only one the IR laser :/

Its all down to money my friend, otherwise the military would only need to buy Arma 2 and not need to buy the slightly more expensive VBS2.

yea true that - anyway the render to texture feature i could easy buy ,but shame it is not that easy :D

Its all down to money my friend, otherwise the military would only need to buy Arma 2 and not need to buy the slightly more expensive VBS2.

Well there is also the issue of licenses. You can not use ArmA2 for commercial or military purposes... :p

Also there are a lot of features in VBS2 that are cool but really serve way more of a purpose as a training tool, like the AAR, RTE, and some other features. Those easily outweigh random scripting functions that are more for "advanced" users of both engines to exploit and not the major selling points (Generals don't go "damn, you can set the weapons direction, now that is amazing!" they go "I can re-watch my guys run around again and again and again" or "I can plop down a HMMV! Now that is the future!" :p

My assumption as to why we don't have all these cool commands would be that there's been two separate development branches off of the main RV engine after Arma 1's release: the commercial games (arma, arma 2) and the training sim (VBS1, VBS2)

There will be elements within the engine build of the VBS branch that make developing some of these commands easier (and more cost effective, given they're probably specific client requests = $$$) to implement, and will in turn mean that it's not simply a case of 'unlocking them'

We can only hope that with another DLC or (less likely) patch these sorts of commands will come

My assumption as to why we don't have all these cool commands would be that there's been two separate development branches off of the main RV engine after Arma 1's release: the commercial games (arma, arma 2) and the training sim (VBS1, VBS2)

There will be elements within the engine build of the VBS branch that make developing some of these commands easier (and more cost effective, given they're probably specific client requests = $$$) to implement, and will in turn mean that it's not simply a case of 'unlocking them'

You'd be surprised how much the two have in common... ;)

*Walking in moving vehicles or on moving ships

*Render to texture

Island editing/porting tools.

ie Visito4, LandBuilder and etc.

or ability to port ESGS terrain data DIRECTLY, at least :( w/o weeks of handworks w/o need to push data inside :/

Island editing/porting tools.

ie Visito4, LandBuilder and etc.

or ability to port ESGS terrain data DIRECTLY, at least :( w/o weeks of handworks w/o need to push data inside :/

Oh yea totally forgot about those tools! Would be awesome! But I don't think those tools where made by bis. I remember that I read some slides from a few different studios who made those tools on the vbs2 website showcase their features. Don't these tools would be able to work for arma2 already? Or are map files in arma2 not the same as in vbs? can imagine that it maybe not requires much work to get it work for arma2. Those tools are able to read map files right? So when you convert a map and it uses arma2 models instead of vbs2 buildings trees etc, it would work?

Oh yea totally forgot about those tools! Would be awesome! But I don't think those tools where made by bis. I remember that I read some slides from a few different studios who made those tools on the vbs2 website showcase their features. Don't these tools would be able to work for arma2 already? Or are map files in arma2 not the same as in vbs? can imagine that it maybe not requires much work to get it work for arma2. Those tools are able to read map files right? So when you convert a map and it uses arma2 models instead of vbs2 buildings trees etc, it would work?

yes its able. yes its work.

• Setting fire/cover arcs for vehicles. Most of the time gunners in a HMMMV look in all possible directions
  • Render to texture (already mentioned)
  • Walkable/driveable "carriers" like, er, carriers and planes (already mentioned)
  • (Dunno if that is in VBS2) working/usable trains
  • Working/usable real time 3D editor
  • Sling loading and fast roping

Plenty that I'd like to see has been named already, such as...

• "placeOnSurface" command
  • "switchAllLights" command
  • "hideUI" command
  • Articulated Vehicles
  • Usable/finished 3D editor

My fantasy wish list:

• Render-to-Texture
  • Actual/working engineer equipment (Do they work in VBS2?)
  • Visitor 4

Shooting from vehicle doors

Walking inside moving vehicles

Vis 4

the vehicle menu system ( to be able to open close doors, hood, trunk, load and unload injured team members etc)