Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Engine discussion

This thread really has two sub-topics:

1. (Mainly directed at BIS): What version of the RV engine will ToH be using? Is it basically the same as OA but with some tweaks and added functions? Or is it considered a whole new iteration, i.e. "RV4"? What specific engine enhancements are planned compared to Arma2/OA?

2. For everyone else: what kind of engine features would you like to see / do you expect to see in ToH?

On the second topic, I personally am hoping for a more advanced physics engine overall. Not just concerning helicopter flight dynamics, but also concerning the damage model (collisions) and general interaction of objects with the environment.

For example: if spinning rotor blades collide with something like a tree, they should be ripped apart, causing the helicopter to drop.

On the second topic, I personally am hoping for a more advanced physics engine overall. Not just concerning helicopter flight dynamics, but also concerning the damage model (collisions) and general interaction of objects with the environment.

For example: if spinning rotor blades collide with something like a tree, they should be ripped apart, causing the helicopter to drop.

I share your hopes. And i've been advocating for a while, the integration of an accerelated physics engine on RV via OpenCL. That should bring a revolution in physics on the top of RV engine without performance loss. Since the physics are done by GPU which can process tons of parallel data very easily there should be no problems regarding the physics causing major performance impact. In fact it would free your CPU from that constraint.

Also i really hope that ToH will allow for the further expansion and improvement of RV engine which i learned to love (and hate). With that in mind, comes to me the idea of Arma 3 bringing to life the stuff i always dreamed.

I share your hopes. And i've been advocating for a while, the integration of an accerelated physics engine on RV via OpenCL. That should bring a revolution in physics on the top of RV engine without performance loss. Since the physics are done by GPU which can process tons of parallel data very easily there should be no problems regarding the physics causing major performance impact. In fact it would free your CPU from that constraint.

Also i really hope that ToH will allow for the further expansion and improvement of RV engine which i learned to love (and hate). With that in mind, comes to me the idea of Arma 3 bringing to life the stuff i always dreamed.

The chance that OpenCL will be used in BIS games is very low. I think DirectCompute would make a much bigger chance.

I like the way how DICE is doing things. Battlefield 3 is the first game to completely ditch the DirectX 9 API and use more modern APIs like DirectX 10 and DirectX 11.

Although DirectX 9.0c Feature Level 3 is almost as sophisticated as the later versions, it still lacks an abstract language like DirectCompute and the libraries are mostly singlethreaded.

But strategies like these minimize compatibility bugs and excessive memory leakage in attempts to make software run under both Windows XP and more modern versions.

I suppose we can all shoot for the moon on this one. I mean, it would be great to have a physics engine that correctly handled everything from weight shift inside the helicopter and damage profiles to blades and objects like trees (you can trim some of the smaller branches without neccissarily damaging the blade) but I think a more realistic goal would be a more refined version of what ArmA has. Honestly the damage profiles on ArmA are worlds ahead of what MSFS has, and that is the standard for flying games. I just hope they focus their attention on flight dynamics (the real deal: Torque induced yaw, translating tendency, translational lift, transverse flow effect, loss of tail rotor effectiveness, vortex ring state, ground resonance, the difference in feel between different types of rotor systems) and the level of immersion of their missions. Now, if they have, as an example, a mission where you have to sling christmas trees from the tree farm to a truck bed, and you have to hang your head out the door and look down at your load to see where its going, I will be very impressed. I am very curious to see how they are going to simulate some of this stuff.

I'd gladly have that feature too.

Now, if they have, as an example, a mission where you have to sling christmas trees from the tree farm to a truck bed, and you have to hang your head out the door and look down at your load to see where its going, I will be very impressed.

Looks like someone's been watching the

as us... :cool:

Best,

RiE

Whoa, that is one experienced pilot for sure.

I've worked a Christmas tree season in Oregon refueling 500's, some of the guys are really good and at least one person crashes every year. It's all about doing it as fast as they can. I've seen guys do it a lot faster than that jetranger video.

Here is what it looks like from the pilot's perspective, and hopefully what it would look like ingame.

That's what I like about BIS : after offering us the best tractor, goat and rabbit simulator in (F)arma , we'll get the best Christmas tree cropping simulator on the market, bar none.

Think outside of the box ! Killing aliens, zombies and evil north korean in Fakistan is SOOOO last season...

Best,

RiE

:j:

8bm6WbuesUc

Much cooler than transporting dead trees :D

Edited by Macadam Cow

:j:

Much cooler then transporting dead trees :D

:rthumb: So far best show of helicopter utilization.

I am no pilot but in my opinion DCS: Black Shark has the best helicopter flight model and damage physics on the consumer market. DCS: A10 might be the same for fixed wing aircraft, haven't played it.

What killed my interest in DCS: Black Shark though over time, was that the scenery is not enough detailed for low level flight. This is where helicopter flight in Arma2 already is more fun, even though the flight and damage models are not of equal detail.

I wish we'd see a hybrid of DCS: Black Shark and Arma2 soon, with civilian or law enforcement (even coast guard) scenarios.

In this mind the Arma2 engine is already very good graphically but I agree that a physics update would be nice. Maybe the two firms could team up and share technology *keeps dreaming*

What killed my interest in DCS: Black Shark though over time, was that the scenery is not enough detailed for low level flight. This is where helicopter flight in Arma2 already is more fun, even though the flight and damage models are not of equal detail.

Exactly what I think. :ok:

Plus the interaction with "human" ground forces.

I was also hoping for a "cooperation" between the 2 studios but since the announcement of TOH I actually hope BIS will be able to do that alone.

..that the scenery is not enough detailed for low level flight. This is where helicopter flight in Arma2 already is more fun, even though the flight and damage models are not of equal detail.

Let alone driving a fully manned tank through chernarussian lowlands, turned out for full awareness and feeling, ever expecting enemy engagement ...

Exactly what I think. :ok:

Plus the interaction with "human" ground forces.

I was also hoping for a "cooperation" between the 2 studios but since the announcement of TOH I actually hope BIS will be able to do that alone.

But then there´s this "something" that makes you doubt it´ll ever happen to be "Full On" (pun intended), bar any visible potential.

Truly hoping the best for Take On, just hoping .. no more "yeah that".

Best,

RiE

I will take that as a good sign.

That video was done not far from where I live. I've seen that helicopter working around here. I presume you already have contacts in the Seattle area but if you by chance need any info on what it's like to fly here, hit me up. If I can't personally answer your question I can get you in touch with someone who can.

But then there´s this "something" that makes you doubt it´ll ever happen to be "Full On" (pun intended), bar any visible potential.

Yup, true, it's just a dream but who knows...

While I'm at dreaming about ArmA's future, I'm dreaming BIS taking a long brake in the ArmA series, release TOH, then develop and release a game like SWAT5 (:D) then finally find a way to implement advanced flight model and enhanced CQB in ArmA 3

Dreaming is nice :)

@Macadam

I Think there not taking a Break from the ArmA Series as much as they are Getting it improved in sections, As there might be a Take on Tanks! Or a Take on Cars next in line

Yup, true, it's just a dream but who knows...

While I'm at dreaming about ArmA's future, I'm dreaming BIS taking a long brake in the ArmA series, release TOH, then develop and release a game like SWAT5 (:D) then finally find a way to implement advanced flight model and enhanced CQB in ArmA 3

Dreaming is nice :)

I share this dream :o